Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Planet 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 11, 2010

In the follow-up to Lost Planet, players explore new environments as they see the story through the perspective of different groups of pirates trying to survive on E.D.N. III.

Lost Planet 2 Demo Impressions

jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Edited By jdquach

Played this for a little more then 30 minutes, and here's what I have to say.

The character animations look great, the ragdoll death is really cool and well done. The environment looks nice. Here's my only gripe with the presentation; the boob physics are terrible. When your running forward with a female character you just see her jugs bouncing up and down, and this game is the the 3rd person for behind. So I guess mad side boob bouncing? I mean come on, can't any developer have something resembling real boob physics? Like goddamn. When I died once, my characters body was laying on her back I just see her boobs just jiggling up and down, and I was DEAD and NOT MOVING.

Now lets get to the beef, the shooting. I must say, it's pretty bad. Gun battles are mostly just circle strafes while both of your bullets are barley hitting each other. It doesn't feel precise. Shooting anyone farther then 10 feet away from you is almost impossible considering the guns accuracy.

The movement also feels terrible. It's very stiff. You also have this grappling hook that is terrible since you can't shot it farther then a couple feet. It just doesn't feel right for a multiplayer game, which you can say also say about the shooting.

While the shooting and shooting kinda suck, it still is kinda fun. Nothing near top tier though. I didn't get to mess with the VS or whatever stuff, so i may come back to it some other time. 

jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jdquach

Played this for a little more then 30 minutes, and here's what I have to say.

The character animations look great, the ragdoll death is really cool and well done. The environment looks nice. Here's my only gripe with the presentation; the boob physics are terrible. When your running forward with a female character you just see her jugs bouncing up and down, and this game is the the 3rd person for behind. So I guess mad side boob bouncing? I mean come on, can't any developer have something resembling real boob physics? Like goddamn. When I died once, my characters body was laying on her back I just see her boobs just jiggling up and down, and I was DEAD and NOT MOVING.

Now lets get to the beef, the shooting. I must say, it's pretty bad. Gun battles are mostly just circle strafes while both of your bullets are barley hitting each other. It doesn't feel precise. Shooting anyone farther then 10 feet away from you is almost impossible considering the guns accuracy.

The movement also feels terrible. It's very stiff. You also have this grappling hook that is terrible since you can't shot it farther then a couple feet. It just doesn't feel right for a multiplayer game, which you can say also say about the shooting.

While the shooting and shooting kinda suck, it still is kinda fun. Nothing near top tier though. I didn't get to mess with the VS or whatever stuff, so i may come back to it some other time. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Sooperspy

It came out, awwwww shit. Better go download it

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kmdrkul

I actually saw a commercial for this game yesterday.  Prior to watching it I had ZERO interest in this game, but damn... that commercial was awesome.  Too bad the shooting mechanics supposedly stink; that's what makes or breaks these kind of games...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Don't really want it for the vs but to kill big ass bugs anyway. The 1st was underrated imo, though certainly basic, can't wait to get to use the awesome VS suits (loved the controls for those) in a bigger, better game with bigger, better alien bugs. But yeah if you expect a Western type shooter, don't.

I'm sure they have guns that are accurate further away though too though. PC release can't come soon enough.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By handlas

Played PS3 demo awhile back when they were handing out codes.  Downloaded the 360 one tonight.  Thought it seemed much smoother and crisper looking so I went back and played the PS3 one again.

Anyone wanna correct me...unless I'm right.....but the 360 version looks a lot better and runs much better.  In comparison it looks like the PS3 version has noticeable framerate drops, screen-tearing, and anti-aliasing issues much more-so than the 360 demo.  

Guess I know which one to buy if I buy the game. Shame since I prefer my PS3.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @handlas said:
    " Played PS3 demo awhile back when they were handing out codes.  Downloaded the 360 one tonight.  Thought it seemed much smoother and crisper looking so I went back and played the PS3 one again.  Anyone wanna correct me...unless I'm right.....but the 360 version looks a lot better and runs much better.  In comparison it looks like the PS3 version has noticeable framerate drops, screen-tearing, and anti-aliasing issues much more-so than the 360 demo.    Guess I know which one to buy if I buy the game. Shame since I prefer my PS3. "
    No they look the same. Both demos have issues. Again a demo. 
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By handlas
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @handlas said:
    " Played PS3 demo awhile back when they were handing out codes.  Downloaded the 360 one tonight.  Thought it seemed much smoother and crisper looking so I went back and played the PS3 one again.  Anyone wanna correct me...unless I'm right.....but the 360 version looks a lot better and runs much better.  In comparison it looks like the PS3 version has noticeable framerate drops, screen-tearing, and anti-aliasing issues much more-so than the 360 demo.    Guess I know which one to buy if I buy the game. Shame since I prefer my PS3. "
    No they look the same. Both demos have issues. Again a demo.  "
    you are wrong.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @handlas said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @handlas said:
    you are wrong. "
    I am looking at the Ps3 version now right after the 360 one. There is no real difference. You can find faults with both if you look hard enough. I had no FPS drops on either version. And there was tearing on both versions.  

And do not go judging a game on a demo. 
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @handlas said:

" @handlas said:
    you are wrong. "
    I am looking at the Ps3 version now right after the 360 one. There is no real difference. You can find faults with both if you look hard enough. I had no FPS drops on either version. And there was tearing on both versions.  "
    I dunno what you want me to say when you are wrong.   Playing PS3 version right now as well...directly after 360 version.  You...are...wrong.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @handlas said:
    " @handlas said:
    " @handlas said:
    you are wrong. "
    I am looking at the Ps3 version now right after the 360 one. There is no real difference. You can find faults with both if you look hard enough. I had no FPS drops on either version. And there was tearing on both versions.  "
    I dunno what you want me to say when you are wrong.  "
    I love people like you. Refuse to listen to anyone when you think you are right. 
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @handlas said:

" @handlas said:

" @handlas said:
    you are wrong. "
    I love people like you. Refuse to listen to anyone when you think you are right.  "
    Funny cuz you described yourself.  I laid out the glaring issues.  I even prefer the system I'm saying the game looks bad on.  You come back with no arguement.  Again, you are wrong.  And if I remember correctly Lost Planet 1 for PS3 had issues as well. Hopping back on the 360 demo.  Much better.

For instance, watch when the map starts on the PS3 demo.  When it does the fly in over the map.  Extremely noticeable choppiness and screen-tearing.  No denying.  Doesn't happen on the 360 side.  Just another example to say......you are wrong.
    pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By pepsipat1
    @handlas:
    No Youre out of order. Good Day to You Sir. I said Good Day!!!! I clearly am indifferent either way or just a jack-ass. Like I said good day to you(or night).
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @handlas said:

" @handlas said:

" @handlas said:

" @handlas said:
    you are wrong. "
    I love people like you. Refuse to listen to anyone when you think you are right.  "
    Funny cuz you described yourself.  I laid out the glaring issues.  I even prefer the system I'm saying the game looks bad on.  You come back with no arguement.  Again, you are wrong.  And if I remember correctly Lost Planet 1 for PS3 had issues as well. Hopping back on the 360 demo.  Much better.  For instance, watch when the map starts on the PS3 demo.  When it does the fly in over the map.  Extremely noticeable choppiness and screen-tearing.  No denying.  Doesn't happen on the 360 side.  Just another example to say......you are wrong. "
    I had not seen any of the issues you are talking about. Aside from tearing in BOTH versions. 
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas
    @PepsiPat said:

" @handlas: No Youre out of order. Good Day to You Sir. I said Good Day!!!! I clearly am indifferent either way or just a jack-ass. Like I said good day to you(or night). "

Good night it is.  I love being correct.

I'm on 360 demo again now.  It is EXTREMELY smoother actually.  I feel stupid for even questioning myself prior.  Anyone with any sense can see it.  Please for god sakes someone download both demos and confirm what I know is 100% fact.

I hope they iron out the issues with the PS3 verison before release.

" I had not seen any of the issues you are talking about. Aside from tearing in BOTH versions.  "

dood...there is no screen tearing in the 360 version at all.  Also the PS3 version (in comparison to the 360 version) is incredibly choppy and has horrid AA problems.  Why would I just make this up for no reason?  Wtf is my motive?  I was simply asking people if they saw it.  Now that I have re-downloaded the PS3 verison and have played both directly after one another I can easily see how much better the 360 one is.

Honestly I had a bad impression of the game initially after I played the PS3 demo because it is literally that bad (the AA issues mostly).  The 360 version is way more tolerable on the eyes.  I'm wondering if you own a HDTV.....

I loved the first Lost Planet (which I owned on the 360) and maybe that is why I got a negative first view on LP2 because I played the PS3 version which appears highly inferior.  Shame, is the PS3 version a bad port of the 360 version?  Isn't Capcom known for diong this stuff?
    ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArcLyte

my theory is that if you liked the first game, you'll like this one. if you didn't like the first game, chances are you won't like this one either. if you've never played lost planet, what the hell is wrong with you?

pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pepsipat1
    @handlas:
    I think it depends on the console they started the development process on. Devil May Cry 4 was made on the PS3 first and then ported to the 360. They couldve made it on the 360 first and the started development on the playstation which would explain the problems you noticed. Personally I'd buy a game like lost planet for my xbox so the playstation version is none of my concern. sort of like how the 360 version of ff13 was none of my concern and the PS3 version was.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By handlas
    @PepsiPat said:
    " @handlas: I think it depends on the console they started the development process on. Devil May Cry 4 was made on the PS3 first and then ported to the 360. They couldve made it on the 360 first and the started development on the playstation which would explain the problems you noticed. Personally I'd buy a game like lost planet for my xbox so the playstation version is none of my concern. sort of like how the 360 version of ff13 was none of my concern and the PS3 version was. "
    ya I just editted my other post wondering this stuff.  It appears the PS3 version is a bad port.  Shame.  Didn't the original Lost Planet get bad reviews on the PS3 because it was a crappy port of the 360 version?  It appears they have done it again....

I hope someone comes out with a comparison video so you people calling me a dumbass liar can see what I'm talking about.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

MTFramework is a multiplatform engine, they don't do porting. They just may not have been able to optimise it as much on PS3, the whole engine that is.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " MTFramework is a multiplatform engine, they don't do a porting process. They just may not have been able to optimise it as much on PS3, the whole engine that is. "
    thx for clarifying.  Whatever they did, they didn't do a very good job.  Probably wasn't gonna get this game but if I do, at least I know which one to get it on.  I guess the reviews will touch on this when it comes out.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kbm600
    @Hylianhero1991 said:
    "  Played this for a little more then 30 minutes, and here's what I have to say. The character animations look great, the ragdoll death is really cool and well done. The environment looks nice. Here's my only gripe with the presentation; the boob physics are terrible. When your running forward with a female character you just see her jugs bouncing up and down, and this game is the the 3rd person for behind. So I guess mad side boob bouncing? I mean come on, can't any developer have something resembling real boob physics? Like goddamn. When I died once, my characters body was laying on her back I just see her boobs just jiggling up and down, and I was DEAD and NOT MOVING. Now lets get to the beef, the shooting. I must say, it's pretty bad. Gun battles are mostly just circle strafes while both of your bullets are barley hitting each other. It doesn't feel precise. Shooting anyone farther then 10 feet away from you is almost impossible considering the guns accuracy. The movement also feels terrible. It's very stiff. You also have this grappling hook that is terrible since you can't shot it farther then a couple feet. It just doesn't feel right for a multiplayer game, which you can say also say about the shooting. While the shooting and shooting kinda suck, it still is kinda fun. Nothing near top tier though. I didn't get to mess with the VS or whatever stuff, so i may come back to it some other time.  "
    Did you seriously just spend a sentence complaining about BOOB PHYSICS? Jesus.

You didn't play the first one, did you? It sounds exactly like the first one but improved, I look forward to this.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas
    @Kbm600 said:
    " @Hylianhero1991 said:
    "  Played this for a little more then 30 minutes, and here's what I have to say. The character animations look great, the ragdoll death is really cool and well done. The environment looks nice. Here's my only gripe with the presentation; the boob physics are terrible. When your running forward with a female character you just see her jugs bouncing up and down, and this game is the the 3rd person for behind. So I guess mad side boob bouncing? I mean come on, can't any developer have something resembling real boob physics? Like goddamn. When I died once, my characters body was laying on her back I just see her boobs just jiggling up and down, and I was DEAD and NOT MOVING. Now lets get to the beef, the shooting. I must say, it's pretty bad. Gun battles are mostly just circle strafes while both of your bullets are barley hitting each other. It doesn't feel precise. Shooting anyone farther then 10 feet away from you is almost impossible considering the guns accuracy. The movement also feels terrible. It's very stiff. You also have this grappling hook that is terrible since you can't shot it farther then a couple feet. It just doesn't feel right for a multiplayer game, which you can say also say about the shooting. While the shooting and shooting kinda suck, it still is kinda fun. Nothing near top tier though. I didn't get to mess with the VS or whatever stuff, so i may come back to it some other time.  "
    Did you seriously just spend a sentence complaining about BOOB PHYSICS? Jesus.  You didn't play the first one, did you? It sounds exactly like the first one but improved, I look forward to this. "
    it pretty much is.  I loved the first one's multiplayer and this one is basically that but better.  My favorite new thing are these little robot armors you can jump into for extra protection.  They aren't the big mech suits but like smaller versions that act as armor.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kbm600
    @handlas said:
    " @Kbm600 said:
    " @Hylianhero1991 said:
    Did you seriously just spend a sentence complaining about BOOB PHYSICS? Jesus.  You didn't play the first one, did you? It sounds exactly like the first one but improved, I look forward to this. "
    it pretty much is.  I loved the first one's multiplayer and this one is basically that but better.  My favorite new thing are these little robot armors you can jump into for extra protection.  They aren't the big mech suits but like smaller versions that act as armor. "
    That's intriguing. Unfortunately the multiplayer is really not what draws me to this game. I wish they had just released another demo of a gigantic boss battle as that is really what interested me. A shooter with gigantic enemies will always draw me in, it just feels like a very dynamic battle and makes the multiplayer feel very cut and dry when compared. 
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainObvious

I loved the first one on PC, but I just disliked both demos for the sequel.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By trophyhunter

ooh you just suck at it 
    I think it was one of the funnest online experiences I've ever had.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By trophyhunter

I shot a rocket at a VS did the "suck it" emote and the VS blow up. 
    that moment alone beats any call of duty or battlefield or gear of war ever

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Hylianhero1991:

I got early beta codes for the MP2.0 demo and have been playing with it for a good while now. 

I've got no problem what so ever with the games shooting or the accuracy needed to pick off targets at far range, with the right guns / weaponry

The movement feels great, it's much improved over the slightly sluggish original. 

Your complaints make you sound like someone who's never played the original Lost Planet or it's MP before.
    jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jdquach
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "  
    @Hylianhero1991:

I got early beta codes for the MP2.0 demo and have been playing with it for a good while now. 

I've got no problem what so ever with the games shooting or the accuracy needed to pick off targets at far range, with the right guns / weaponry

The movement feels great, it's much improved over the slightly sluggish original. 

Your complaints make you sound like someone who's never played the original Lost Planet or it's MP before. "

Well your right, I never have.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By handlas

The shooting is some of the best imo.  A game that actually takes some skill.  Nice recoil and everything.  Get tired of these games where you can just hold down the fire button and teh guy that shot first is the one that will win the fight because the recoil is non-existent.

I think they could tone down the knockback when you get shot tho.  It's a little annoying getting blasted by 2 enemies and not being able to shoot back.  I'm not sure if it happens when you or shot or only if you get headshotted.  Also when you knock a guy down and he becomes invincible is annoying.  Think that was in the first game as well.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thecleric

Demo's not a good impression for me. Not because it's bad, but the people who are playing the MP demo now are like.. the bulk of everyone who thinks 'oh hey a shooter demo' and plays everything like it's deathmatch. Post battle is NOT deathmatch. 

We'll see how it goes after release

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yay everyone sucks online as apposed to the people playing LP1.

Anyway, it definitely feels nicer than the first game, everything is smoother though it seems the grappling hook has less range. Its still all about throwing then shooting grenades and dangling from awkward places, oh and scrambling away from VS's is still super fun.  

However, matchmaking is still awkward, booting you out after every game and failed join attempt is annoying (this seems to be the norm with capcom), i can see this being a problem down the line when less people are playing, Spending 10 mins to get into a game that lasts 10 mins is not fun.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.