Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Loot Boxes

Concept »

Boxes of random items, usually able to be purchased using real money currencies.

Have you bought a loot box using real-world money?

• 85 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Have you bought a loot box using real-world money? (572 votes)

Yes, many times 14%
    Yes, a few times 30%
    Yes, only once 8%
    Never 48%
     • 
    Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My mama didn't raise no fool.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By SSully

I used to drop 5-10 dollars (about 10 loot boxes) for every holiday event. The stopped with the first christmas event or the one after that. The last time I did it I opened all 10 crates and didn't get anything better then blue's (in OW, items rarity go by white, blue, purple, and gold). I believe they have since tweaked the numbers due to complaints but I don't care. I can't stand a system like that where you can get duplicate items for a small penance of in game currancy.

I've also probably spent between $60-$120 to date on DOTA 2. I don't play DOTA as much as a used to, but I feel way better about their system. You pretty much always get a good item, and don't get fucked over with duplicates.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I bought one CSGO key, opened a skin worth $20, sold it, and decided I'd never open a random loot box again. I'll buy cosmetics for games I grow especially fond of occasionally, but only if I know exactly what I'm getting.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No and I never will.

Paying for the minute chance of getting something I want will never appeal to me.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Do booster packs in CCGs count? If so, yes. If not, no.

AzraelDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought some in Overwatch during the first Halloween event. I regretted it near instantly.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By winsord

Yup! Like a bunch of others, I bought some in Overwatch, wanted the D.Va Summer Olympics skin in 2016. I'd been playing a bunch, so I put $50 in, and completely regretted it. Not only did I not get the reasonably common skin I wanted after $50, but I didn't even keep playing the game for much longer afterwards. It honestly soured me on Overwatch a whole lot.

The other case has been the occasional crate in Star Wars: The Old Republic, but most of those I purchased with Cartel Coins gained simply by being subscribed. I think I only bought 1 or 2 boxes outside of the monthly allocation. In that case, I was totally fine with it.

I would really prefer to just buy the thing I want. I'd be quite content to see them disappear, whether through legislative or other means (hopefully the latter).

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've only paid for them in some free-to-play mobile games. In most of those cases I've gotten dozens of hours of entertainment out of the game and wanted to give the developers something. I don't think loot boxes should be part of games that cost money, so I don't buy them.

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By terminallychill

I've put probably $30+ into Overwatch, and definitely some into Hearthstone too.

That said, as a consumer I found Titanfall 2's "everything is free, buy our cosmetics please" approach to be refreshing and bought skins and a prime titan on there too.

Since then I've avoided games with a loot box economy, and I would encourage more developers to pivot to the Titanfall 2 model. Until game prices inevitably rise, I would happily plop down change for cosmetic items while knowing exactly what I was getting.

Edit:
    I realize that Overwatch's model is essential also "everything is free, buy our cosmetics", but obviously the blind boxes make the difference, especially once they introduced the seasonal exclusivity.

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be big into the HUT mode of the NHL games, so yeah.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mekon

I've only paid for expansions to a game. I wouldn't pay for half-arsed content that changes the balance of a game, if that's lacking then it should be picked up in QA which (mainly thinking of large software companies) should mean more job opportunities. Edit: Cosmetic items are obviously a matter of personal choice, so I'm ok with that.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think I did. I know I paid $10 to Fire Emblem Heroes on mobile, as a "tip" to the developers (something that Patrick Klepek made me believe in years ago). It might've been a loot box?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup I've bought a bunch of them. Through playing Dota 2, Overwatch, TF2, and I'm sure a bunch of other games with them I've probably spent $1k-$2k on loot boxes. I used to think cosmetic only was ok, but after looking at how much I've spent I really dislike all manner of loot boxes now. It's the feeling of "oh I didn't get it that time, well maybe just another try and this time I'll get lucky" that looking back just disgusts me. I realize I would be a TERRIBLE gambler. I'd much rather League of Legends system now, just let me pay for the skin I want and not have all this hassle and uncertainty in the mix.

Now having said that I've spent more time playing these games than any other games so at some point the money to time ratio may be similar or even better than a lot of $60 one time purchase games. This doesn't mean I am still ok with paying for them anymore. I understand most games these days can't be made on the same budgets they are and still cost $60, but at this point I would rather spend $80 and get a full game without any extra monetization policies.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By soulcake

Is buying a key to open a lootbox the same :D i guess i bought one key to open a TF2 crate once since i played it for 100 hours with out given a dime to the game so i kinda felt guilty. O yeah and one key for a dota crate just to get junk and never bought a crate again !

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah but for some reason only in Blizzard games. I always pre-order Hearthstone expansions and campaigns. I also buy around $50 worth of loot boxes in Overwatch every event and I have spent a little bit on boosters in Heroes of the Storm. Don't get me started on WOW as I have been playing from vanilla beta so I don't even want to know how much I have spent in WoW. Funny enough, I refuse to buy microtransaction in other games.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

My roommates pressured me into buying crates for overwatch during the halloween event last year, not my proudest moment.

zoneout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought many for rocket league, well deserved so many hours put into and still love it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Capum15

A few times in Overwatch. Played enough of that game that I don't regret it. Once in Fortnite I think and managed a Mythic hero out of it so that was neat. I also ran into someone later on who said they had spent like hundreds and still hadn't gotten one, the poor bastard.

And once in Destiny 2 for that $10 pack of 3 brights or whatever it was to see what that was like, and it definitely wasn't worth it. I mean I guess it's technically buying currency and then spending it on a loot box but still.

That's really it for loot boxes. I've put a ton of money into Guild Wars 2 but that was for specific things so it doesn't really fit for the topic.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I bought a PUBG one once because...I don't know.

It was underwhelming.

CaptainBlueSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually very surprised by the results of this poll. I had always assumed that something like 4 out of 5 players didn't buy lootboxes. But I see it's much more common that I thought!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never have and never will.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By Evilsbane

On Smite I bought the "all the gods forever pack" for $18 bucks and probably spent $40-60 on boxes but that was over the course of a year and a half and it's just character skins we played a lot of it, even switched platforms at one point.

Literally the only time I have ever done it and for me it was a "I have played a crap ton of this game I don't feel bad dropping $10 on gems."

I still felt bad about it even under those circumstances but it was a unique situation for me, I like PUBG but I haven't spent a dime more than the purchase price just don't really care.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.

I REALLY wanted to see Mercy's legs last halloween

tommygunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought 50 loot boxes for every overwatch event since launch but will probably not bother anymore.

In my defense the game grabbed me like no other game in the last 5-10 years and I sunk many 12 hour gaming 'sessions' in the months following it's launch before settling into around 2 hours average a night on the game. I love the characters, story, cinematics, world etc etc and an really immersed with the game.

I also seem to have got good drops with the events as I would always get most legendary skins every event with my 50 boxes and currently have 30k banked in credits from dupes so picking up stragglers is no problem.

I feel like I have had fun in reflection to amount spent (I estimate around £200 since launch) and time I spent in the game as well as my enjoyment of Overwatch.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By RonGalaxy

If I like a game and it's completely free, I'll throw a few bucks towards the devs once in awhile just to show my support. The only game I would currently do this with at the moment is gwent, and I already have a complete-ish collection of cards, so no reason to right now.

When it comes to paid games, I'm usually against it. Bought a few crates in overwatch, but only when I had excess psn credit and nothing to really spend it on.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah but only on the free-to-play sensation that is DEFENSE OF THE ANCIENTS TWO

m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Rasrimra

I have bought DLC but not loot boxes no. But I've gotten very close to being drawn in by them. I don't want to know how much money that could have cost me.

I'm very much opposed to loot boxes. I don't want to make them illegal in every game, but in the sense that I consider them very unfriendly for customers or in other words: bad game design. Regulation would be welcome for these systems that prey on the vulnerable to make max profit. And I don't mean self regulation. The most powerful publishers show they don't care one iota about their customers or the law anymore, so it is impossible to have proper self regulation in this industry.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought a few over the years. The first game was Mass Effect 3. I bought a handful there. It was mostly friends with disposable income upping the ante repeatedly.

I've managed to spend very little on loot boxes since then. I bought one box in Destiny 2 (before realizing how shallow that game would become). I probably bought one in Gears of War 4, too.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent a bit on keys for Rocket League. Not much, and what I did spend, I felt good about. They have supported that game right.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Never have, 99% of games I play don't even have the feature, or at least I never notice. Mass Effect 3 is the only one I can think of tbh.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have bought a few over the years. I think for the latest games I spend $20 on coins for Call of Duty WW2. That is a lot in my opinion, and I bought that much because like many games now with loot crates there is a situation early in the game where you don't own 'jack shit'.

When you start the game in multiplayer you own one of 50 outfits for any class of soldier. That means if you pick infantry, you have one outfit from one class/faction you can wear, and that is ALL you can wear while playing that class. Meanwhile, when you look at that class you see fifty cooler outfits greyed out. It is a long slog to get an outfit when the blind boxes you get have player tags, emblems, hats, weapons, weapon fobs, and outfits. Each box has three items that can be duplicates with easily 70% of what CAN BE boxes just low-cost tags and emblems. That means you are lucky to get an outfit in 1 of 20 boxes you open. So...I spent $20 to get a bunch of supposedly high quality boxes. And, yeah, I got a few more uniform choices and a few weapons out of it. Was it worth $20? Nope.

After playing for a few months a few times a week, I have a suitable section of choices for what to wear, but most of that was just grinding and earning boxes. I am not in favor of loot boxes, but I would grduingly accept them if the developers and publishers were more even handed with what your comes 'stock' on day one. Also, the concept of earning duplicates is a dick move. There is nothing more depressing than opening three crates to find that 8 out 9 items are duplicates that are removed for a few measly points.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Never have, never will, but I don't particularly mind their existence so long as they're relegated to cosmetics or other non-essential stuff like that. When they're all-but-core to making any meaningful progression in something like OG Battlefront II, that's when I start getting pissed off.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By mikemcn

After 120 hours in PubG i bought some crates, ok!? Don't judge!

I even sold the yellow tracksuit i got in them for like 30 bucks so i'm basically in the green.

I think that suit is wayyyyyy pricier now, damn it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.