Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Life Is Strange: Before the Storm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2017

A prequel to the initial Life is Strange game, focused on Chloe's life.

Ashly Burch not to reprise role as Chloe

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Nubster

According to Ashly herself, the voice actor's strike is stopping her from voicing Chloe again.

I don't know how to embed on mobile but this seemed important enough to make a topic anyway. MOD EDIT: I got you

As someone who had almost zero interest in the prequel, this entirely erases any chance of me picking this up. Ashly Burch brought an almost impossibly strong personality to that voice and giving the role to someone else, no matter how good they may be, feels cheap for such a character - heavy game.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@the_nubster: Waypoint said she was writing for it though so... that's weird.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

That's a shame. She killed it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@sparky_buzzsaw: Pun potential is high.

This'll be really weird but I probably won't play it for like a year or two so maybe I'll forget about it by then and it won't bother me.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Welp....kinda just lost all interest

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

IF she's supposed to be a younger much less 'tude Chloe then it could make sense to have her voice a bit different.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just get the non-union doppelganger from Andromeda.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Man this sucks, also why didn't they do something new? I assume this won't have a supernatural hook then? It's also only 3 episodes? Man, I loved the first game, all this news is so disappointing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

kinda sad that strikes only seem to really hurt games of this size. The huge AAA stuff I doubt even cares.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hmm, this might be a bit of a deal breaker, she sold Chloe very well, but I'm wiling to give another VA a shot.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zeik

I won't say this completely negates my interest, but this game is already on shaky ground on whether it will be good and this sure does not help. If they don't get the right replacement then any of the other flaws will just stand out more.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@shindig said:

Just get the non-union doppelganger from Andromeda.

But Ashly Burch was already the non-union doppelganger for Laura Bailey.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@the_nubster: Waypoint said she was writing for it though so... that's weird.

Well it's an actor's strike not a writer's strike...

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

As someone who had almost zero interest in the prequel, this entirely erases any chance of me picking this up. Ashly Burch brought an almost impossibly strong personality to that voice and giving the role to someone else, no matter how good they may be, feels cheap for such a character - heavy game.

If they get the right replacement, it could work out. Burch herself was the stand-in (for lack of a better term) for Laura Bailey as Rise in Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and that stopped bothering me pretty soon into the game.

Definitely a blow though - her performance in the original LiS was very good.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cjduke said:

Man this sucks, also why didn't they do something new? I assume this won't have a supernatural hook then? It's also only 3 episodes? Man, I loved the first game, all this news is so disappointing.

They are doing something new. DONTNOD is making a sequel with new characters. This is a prequel by a different dev team.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's hella sad...

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unnecessary prequel loses original voice actor. Yeah, I'm just not interested in this at all.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By The_Nubster

@stordoff: No kidding. She made the entire game for me. Rachel's character always rubbed me the wrong way so my emotional pull was both caring for Chloe, and caring about how Rachel's disappearance affected Chloe. I had no attachment to Rachel as anything other than a plot device but it tore me apart to see how it brought Chloe down, and Burch absolutely nailed it. Especially when Chloe finds Rachels' body... Shit. I'm getting misty-eyed just thinking about it.

P.S. thank you, you beautiful mod you

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This might still be ok(?)

If this is set three years earlier and they have someone who sounds like her, I could mentally think "This is young Chloe, so of course she would sound different". That's not to say that this is good news. Ashly killed it in the first game and it would have been great if she was back.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're still on strike?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Nodima

I liked her performance insomuch as it made an annoying character appropriately annoying. She definitely rekindled a lot of old memories of girls I came across in high school and tried to avoid as much as possible due to their shit outlook on life (being a stoner who disliked most stoner hobbies, styles and products was a real tough road to navigate in 2005) and I give her a lot of credit for that. But to be honest I don't care if this younger Chloe sounds different, I'm really only likely to buy the game if GB does another full stream and it seems as stupid and preposterous as the last game was.

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed scoffing at most of the original game's ridiculous interpretation of American teenage dialogue (she's a high school teacher herself) and fun, clever uses of the time travel mechanic. Plus I'll admit I didn't see most of the twists coming, so it was actually a fun universe to explore and it was definitely very confident in its vision of that town. If there's more of that crazy French-American dialogue and confident world building, I'll still be in. It's why I buy David Cage games knowing full well I'll hate them, and partly what impressed me so much about Life Is Strange - it was all the best parts of David Cage games, featuring characters who were annoying in a believably self-aware way rather than a simply batshit insane understanding of human beings. It was like a perfect blend of Walking Dead Season 1 and Heavy Rain, equal parts empathetic and absurd.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, this sucks. Part of what made LiS such a well-done game was how it handled Chloe, who could so easily have been a completely unlikable character. She's kind of an self-absorbed, angsty idiot, and the game knows it. Burch's stellar performance and Max's hyper self-awareness helped make her endearing, rather than obnoxious. Without either of these factors (and with a new dev at the helm), I'm pretty skeptical the prequel will be able to nail the tone it needs to make Chloe tolerable.

beartaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't play games by scabs.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I can live with it. I'll headcanon it as timeline weirdness.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@cjduke said:

They are doing something new. DONTNOD is making a sequel with new characters. This is a prequel by a different dev team.

Oh ok thank you for letting me know!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I play videogames, not people.

I'll be fine. I really liked the first one, and I'm damn looking forward to this one.

RK92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RK92

As long as it sounds similar enough that I don't notice. Like Joker in Batman Arkham Origins

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.