Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Gears 2 in first person?

BoneChompski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BoneChompski

Well, to me this game feels like Gears of War 2 only played from first person perspective.  I knew I didn't like cover based shooters (HL2 and MAG are more my style) but I thought the perspective change might help me enjoy it...

Unfortunately it does not.  I feel slow and vulnerable and I can't get into recharging health.  Basically I'm complaining that I am old and picky and this game disappoints me.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Yeah, Killzone 2 and 3 are basically Gears in first person. Except inferior, for a number of reasons (no blindfire, no active reload, can't move in cover while reloading, boring level design et cetera).

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By agentboolen

I always enjoyed the covering in Gears.  Its to the point that shooters feel weird for me when they don't have a cover system...  But thats just me.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Jackel2072

i say bulletstorm is more gears in the first person. the main assault rile looks just like the lancer minus the chainsaw. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @Jackel2072 said:
    " i say bulletstorm is more gears in the first person. the main assault rile looks just like the lancer minus the chainsaw.  "
    definitely this, even the run button is the same and there is no jumping.
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DoctorTran
    @xyzygy
    @Jackel2072 said:
    " i say bulletstorm is more gears in the first person. the main assault rile looks just like the lancer minus the chainsaw.  "
    definitely this, even the run button is the same and there is no jumping.
    Pretty much this.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @Jackel2072 said:
    "i say bulletstorm is more gears in the first person. the main assault rile looks just like the lancer minus the chainsaw.  "

Yep...pretty much. 
    Killzone feels...I don't know what exactly it feels like but it doesn't feel like gears. 
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DonPixel

killzone feels like killzone.. I see no mutch in common with Gears honestly

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Jackel2072 said:
    A game isn't more "another game" just because some weapon feels like another one. There is nothing on the market like Bulletstorm. It doesn't feel like anything. Killzone, on the other hand, does look a little bit like Gears in some ways, but not enough to claim that it's "Gears in first-person". Killzone is also quite unique on the market; its feel is nothing like any other shooter.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

No. If you have even played one minute of  the multiplayer you would know this feels like Killzone and not Gears.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quacktastic
    They aren't that similar but I sort of know what you mean.  I'm getting tired of hiding and regenerating lately, too.

@Icemael said:
    " Yeah, Killzone 2 and 3 are basically Gears in first person. Except inferior, for a number of reasons (no blindfire, no active reload, can't move in cover while reloading, boring level design et cetera). "
    I don't think that would ever work in KZ.  In gears enemies are a lot tougher and more bullet spongey so you need advantages like blindfire and AR to keep it from stagnating.  In a CoD-y type game where a quick burst kills a guy blindfire would probably be game breaking.  And is Gears really known for good level design?  I played through them but I only remember the mansion in 1, and the worm in 2.  And all that juice.  And hating the car segments.  And hating carrying that box on co-op.
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Samaritan

Just cause it's a FPS with a cover-system doesn't make a clone of the first successful Third-Person Shooter with a cover-system, kiddies.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemael
    @Quacktastic said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " Yeah, Killzone 2 and 3 are basically Gears in first person. Except inferior, for a number of reasons (no blindfire, no active reload, can't move in cover while reloading, boring level design et cetera). "
    I don't think that would ever work in KZ.  In gears enemies are a lot tougher and more bullet spongey so you need advantages like blindfire and AR to keep it from stagnating.  In a CoD-y type game where a quick burst kills a guy blindfire would probably be game breaking.  And is Gears really known for good level design?  I played through them but I only remember the mansion in 1, and the worm in 2.  And all that juice.  And hating the car segments.  And hating carrying that box on co-op. "
    So make the enemies tougher.

And yeah, the Gears of War series has great level design. The first game especially.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael said:
    Gears and Killzone are pretty different games and even though the first Gears was amazing, the other ones were pretty subpar just because of the fact that Epic couldn't write netcode for P2P games if their life depended on it; on the flipside Killzone has been steadily improving every time in both single player and multiplayer.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @RsistncE: I have no interest in either Gears of War or Killzone's multiplayer (the Battlefield games are the only online shooters that don't bore me), so I can't really comment on that side of things. But both of the Gears of War games had way more fun single player modes than Killzone 2 (and Killzone 3 as well, if the demo is any indication).
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael said:
    " @RsistncE: I have no interest in either Gears of War or Killzone's multiplayer (the Battlefield games are the only online shooters that don't bore me), so I can't really comment on that side of things. But both of the Gears of War games had way more fun single player modes than Killzone 2 (and Killzone 3 as well, if the demo is any indication). "
    I haven't played Killzone 3's single player yet, but I would agree that Gears 1 and 2 both had better single player components than Killzone 2 (a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Gears fiction is much more interesting than Killzone's fiction).
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By iamjohn

Killzone doesn't feel like Gears at all.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By canucks23

They couldn`t be any more different. Just because KZ has a cover system in it`s singleplayers doesn`t mean its Gears in first person. Gears is completely based around the cover based combat, KZ doesn`t even use the cover system for its multiplayer.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Enigma777

There's no cover online, and that's the only place it counts, so no... just no.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By metalmoog

Actually Killzone 3 is exactly like Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV because they all use a cover system and have guns in them...

The ISA dudes are huge and bulky like the GoW COGS and both games have a realistic weighty feeling to the guns and movement and a cover system. That's where the similarities end. Just because games have similar mechanics, don't mean they are exactly the same. Cover based gameplay is a standard element to any good shooter these days. I love being able to take cover and peek out, I think Killzone is the only franchise that utilizes this in first person that I've played though.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tsolless
    @Icemael said:
    " @Quacktastic said:
    " @Icemael said:
    I don't think that would ever work in KZ.  In gears enemies are a lot tougher and more bullet spongey so you need advantages like blindfire and AR to keep it from stagnating.  In a CoD-y type game where a quick burst kills a guy blindfire would probably be game breaking.  And is Gears really known for good level design?  I played through them but I only remember the mansion in 1, and the worm in 2.  And all that juice.  And hating the car segments.  And hating carrying that box on co-op. "
    So make the enemies tougher.
    Ugh, no. Then that's a completely different game and would play entirely different. I don't want every game to be Gears.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @tsolless:
    Yeah, i dont want to be fighting hordes of helghast with the durriblity of General Radec at once ):

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.