Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

The Killzone 2 Demo

• 53 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

There have been rumblings it may have multiplayer but I'm not holding any stock in those. From what I've heard it's simply going to be 2 sections from the single player campaign.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

Just to add to that there is totally rumour doing the rounds from some "lesser" Playstation sites that the demo will have multiplayer as a "surprise" but my advice would be to not expect it at all. If (in the unlikely event) it is in there then it would be an awesome surprise but you've been warned... Don't get excited that it's going to be in there.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By WickedCobra03

Personally I would only want to play MP so none of the Single Player experience was spoiled.  Not even spoiled so much as I just want the SP experience to be as fresh as possible.  I almost kind of like how they held back a lot of the content and not letting the press devour this game in a single sitting and let them go and put every detail up on  the internet.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WickedCobra03

Well it seems like no multiplayer from the looks of it. 

Taken from the ThreeSpeech Blog
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

That’s right folks…

Killzone 2 demo…

in the store…

5th of February.

What can you expect?

Well, it’s the first two sections of level one (meaning that you get the same tutorial sequence as in the final game - bit of a head start there…), which is called ‘Corinth River’. You will get to battle your way through a beach landing and a warehouse. In case you’re wondering, the demo goes live on the same day for our friends in the SCEA region.

Anyone got any idea what Thursday’s weather will be like?

----------------------------------------------------------------

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NintenDood

Gah, I also hoped it'd be multiplayer only :\. Well, it'll still be awesome! :D

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Jackel2072

i love just once for a crazy rumor like the killzone 2 demo having MP to come true, but i really doubt it.  still nothing wrong with wishful thinking!

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Pibo47

Thats right folks! IF you BUY the game YOU get a DEMO! Anyone else finding this retarded???

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon
    Pibo47 said:
    "Thats right folks! IF you BUY the game YOU get a DEMO! Anyone else finding this retarded???"
    Yep. One of the reasons why I'm holding out for the public release of the demo.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jackel2072
    Pibo47 said:
    "Thats right folks! IF you BUY the game YOU get a DEMO! Anyone else finding this retarded???"
    or! you just make an EU account and download the demo free of charge!
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Jensonb

Anyone know what time the Demo will likely go live on the EU Store? It's a Snow Day and playing Killzone 2 would be a could way to kill time ;)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
    Pibo47 said:
    Not if you have a European account sir. No need for preorder just get yourself on the European servers this afternoon. Don't make us crash too much though. ;)

Jensonb said:
    "Anyone know what time the Demo will likely go live on the EU Store? It's a Snow Day and playing Killzone 2 would be a could way to kill time ;)"
    The PSN update usually happens around like 3-5PM GMT so expect it anywhere around then I suppose.
    mr_registered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mr_registered

Eurogamer says 5pm for the demo release

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    mr_registered said:
    "Eurogamer says 5pm for the demo release"
    3 hours to go then friends. Watch the Euro PSN servers virtually crumble.
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Jensonb
    mr_registered said:
    "Eurogamer says 5pm for the demo release"
    get2sammyb said:
    "Pibo47 said:
    Not if you have a European account sir. No need for preorder just get yourself on the European servers this afternoon. Don't make us crash too much though. ;)

Jensonb said:
    "Anyone know what time the Demo will likely go live on the EU Store? It's a Snow Day and playing Killzone 2 would be a could way to kill time ;)"
    The PSN update usually happens around like 3-5PM GMT so expect it anywhere around then I suppose."
    Thanks for the intel guys :D
    Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Teh_Eel

Killzone 2 demo is up, still no super street fighter 2 on eu store :(

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb
    Teh_Eel said:
    "Killzone 2 demo is up, still no super street fighter 2 on eu store :("
    It's up?

EDIT: Nothing here.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By AndrewJD

I should arrive home around 5 ish (snow permitting) so looking forward to it. However, it'll probably be a while before I play it as all the players from outside the EU will be downloading it too :(

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teh_Eel
    get2sammyb said:
    "Teh_Eel said:
    "Killzone 2 demo is up, still no super street fighter 2 on eu store :("
    It's up?

EDIT: Nothing here."
    Downloading atm it 1207 mb, only 90% to go.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By samcotts

Yeah, Killzone 2 demo is up. Downloading now.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb

Nope you're right. I'm downloading to. It's up.

Just turn off your console and put it back on if it's not showing up.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AndrewJD

Thought it might go up early so I took my PSP with me to UNI so I could do the remote access thingy, and I'm downloading it too. YAY!!

matthimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matthimself

Sweet demo!, Just finished it, LOVE IT !

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb

Ok just got done with the demo. Firstly the graphics are INSANE. It's not so much impressive with WHAT'S on screen (everything on screen does look genuinely amazing) but it's more a case of what's going on. There's just stuff moving everywhere, people running, bits of shrapnel and environment flying all over the place. It's pretty crazy. The frame rate only took a very slight hit on two occassions as the game loaded.

Was a bit unsure with the gunplay at first. The movement doesn't feel fluid AT ALL. It's really hard to target things. When they said the game feels heavy, they meant it. It's REALLY heavy. I turned up my movement speed and continued playing. With the speeds tuned I felt a lot more at home. Was shooting enemies (who I thought were really clever by the way) and using explosive barrells to take them out.

It's a very short demo but they pack so much adrenaline in those 10 minutes I shudder to think what the full 9 hours will be like.

I think CoD veterans may take a while to adjust to the controls because it is heavy. Blimey oh riley it's fun though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The music is CRAZY epic.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

is the U.S. redemption code working for anyone yet?, I know they seem to be working for the EU accounts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just went through my first playthrough of the demo.

Nice and sweet. No reason to harp on the graphics, they looked great. Especially the Helghast when you got up close on them. Great animation as they were scurrying behind cover or jumping down from ledges. Solid framerate, no noticeable dips. Everything was frantic and chaotic with everything being busy around you.

I loved the feel of the weapons, where I complained in the F.E.A.R. 2 demo that I felt no force when I shot up fools, this was nice and weighty. Thank Gawd there was no required Sixaxis stuff for your normal moves(i.e. grenade throwing, peeking and such). It still is kind of a pain getting used to the Dualshock 3 on a FPS after all this time and I might tweak the button layout to something a little more COD-ish (It's a little too easy to push in L3 for aiming imo) but other than that it had a good handfeel (if Ryan can say mouthfeel, I can say handfeel)

The only big criticism I had was the AI. It seemed kinda dumb. Both my teammate who went off on the quick recon with me (He'd continually charge into fire as if he was a dumbass Locust and need me to heal him up. Apparently he skipped the cover part of basic training) and the Helghast who were more than happy to run from cover to cover with out actually covering. They had a weird habit of pacing back and forth. Also, they seemed completely confused if I ran up to them to melee. I find it kinda weird that they could take a shitload of bullets, but a tap from my gun and they were dead. Then again, the difficulty on the demo was on pretty low.

All in all, I'm pleased. Whereas the F.E.A.R. 2 demo pulled me in with the atmosphere, this demo pulled me in with the gameplay.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By samcotts

I'd recommend control scheme Alternate 2, and nearly maxing out the sensitivity for more of a Call of Duty 4 feel.

It's a decent demo, would of liked it slightly longer though.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tekmojo

Downloading demo of EU store now.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Demilich

Demo felt good. Also it felt short.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demilich said:
    "Demo felt good. Also it felt short."
    You sound like my ex-girlfriend

:(
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jackel2072

the demo was pretty damn cool! Graphics are vary nice indeed, when i first booted up the demo my brain almost didn't believe what my eyes were seeing. there really was a nice gorges vista from drop ship. As for controls i had 0 problems with them. I play a lot of COD4 on the 360 and it only took me about 30 secs to rap my head around the controls. the aiming feels fine for what it is, the guns do feel like they have real weight, but also feel extremely satisfying to fire! as for the AI yes they were easy to mow down, but like 2 people here have pointed out the game is on normal. i think when i pick up my copy im cranking it up to hard. I sware however (and maybe im just seeing things) when i shot a Helgasts helment off he sank down even lower into cover as to say "shit that was close"! but i only saw it once and maybe i didn't see it at all 0_o. looking forward to the full game on the 27th

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb

I've seen some cool AI stuff, the main one being that an enemy managed to sneak from cover point to cover point and actually come up behind me and kill me. I was like "WTF" but I couldn't really complain... the game outsmarted me.

I agree the enemies freak out when you're up close though.

I might play on hard too actually.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By demonbear

Mark my words people, the day where we'll have to pay for a demo before release is coming.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By samcotts

I never play games on harder difficulty settings first time round, but I might with Killzone 2. The cover system just felt like it made things easy, not in a bad way though, it made it more realistic if anything. I have no complaints about the AI, at least they actually move around the place as if they're trying find the best spot to pick you off or get into a safer position, rather then staying behind one cover poking their heads out occasionally waiting to be shot, like most games. The controls are brilliant once you find the right control scheme and sensitivity to suit your play.

My only complaint is the fact you can only carry one primary weapon around at once, being able to carry two wouldn't of been unrealistic. It's going to put me off experimenting with weapons, as I'll always want to have the assault rifle around just incase I'm in a position where a shotgun or sniper rifle isn't much use to me, for example, whereas the assault rifle can do the job whatever position you're in.

I'm definitely hyped for Killzone 2, and I can see myself playing through this demo quite a few more times before getting tired of it. Shame about no multiplayer demo, that's the main attraction of Killzone 2 for me, but I didn't expect it in the first place.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jackel2072

I got to say its a little strange that im looking forward more to the Multiplayer sides of Killzone then i am the single player. thats not to say im not excited for the SP, i just really want to play multiplayer more. which like i said is odd for me. i always more look forward to the single player then the multiplayer. COD4 what have you done to me?! =)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb

Ok just finished my 7th playthrough. And now I fucking love it. Seriously, I think it's fair to say that I've been the biggest hyper for this game on here and I'm happy to admit even with that on my shoulders I didn't feel entirely comfortable with the game until now. It's took me 7 playthroughs, which would roughly equate to perhaps 30 minutes of playing the game if I had the full product.

You have to give it time. Coming from Resistance, CoD, hey even maybe Gears or Uncharted; at first feels like the shooting mechanics aren't very good. But it's actually the opposite; kinda like because you're moving on to something more realistic and you don't appreciate it at first so you instantly think the game is unresponsive or whatever. It's fully intentional and you get why after a few goes.

Seriously, I recommend everyone give it a few playthroughs if you're not fully convinced yet. It's IMPOSSIBLE (well it was for me) to "get it" on your first go and I've read a lot of others that have played the 10 minutes and written it off. Just give it at least three playthroughs.

Getting a headshot in this game is super satisfying as the enemy writhes to the ground, his helmet pops off and your team mate shouts to you "great shot".

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

get2sammyb said:
    "Ok just finished my 7th playthrough. And now I fucking love it. Seriously, I think it's fair to say that I've been the biggest hyper for this game on here and I'm happy to admit even with that on my shoulders I didn't feel entirely comfortable with the game until now. It's took me 7 playthroughs, which would roughly equate to perhaps 30 minutes of playing the game if I had the full product.

You have to give it time. Coming from Resistance, CoD, hey even maybe Gears or Uncharted; at first feels like the shooting mechanics aren't very good. But it's actually the opposite; kinda like because you're moving on to something more realistic and you don't appreciate it at first so you instantly think the game is unresponsive or whatever. It's fully intentional and you get why after a few goes.

Seriously, I recommend everyone give it a few playthroughs if you're not fully convinced yet. It's IMPOSSIBLE (well it was for me) to "get it" on your first go and I've read a lot of others that have played the 10 minutes and written it off. Just give it at least three playthroughs.

Getting a headshot in this game is super satisfying as the enemy writhes to the ground, his helmet pops off and your team mate shouts to you "great shot"."
    I am going to play this through at least 20 times before the game comes out.

The way the aiming works is entirely intentional.
    Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Teh_Eel

I actually like the how the aiming feels, the weapons have weight behind it for once it adds to the tension of a firefight simply because you have to control the gun more and work for the shot.

DarkCloud97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DarkCloud97

Just played the demo and OMG its amazing! Can't wait for the game to be released!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jackel2072
    Teh_Eel said:
    "I actually like the how the aiming feels, the weapons have weight behind it for once it adds to the tension of a firefight simply because you have to control the gun more and work for the shot."
    yeah i like the way the guns feel too, but i understand its not for ever one.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By get2sammyb
    Teh_Eel said:
    "I actually like the how the aiming feels, the weapons have weight behind it for once it adds to the tension of a firefight simply because you have to control the gun more and work for the shot."
    I've never really played a game that played like it. Such a simple thing is strange that I've never experienced it before. I'm sure there are games out there that DO play like this (with the heavy aiming mechanics) but I've not touched them I'm afraid.

It's not original (by ANY stretch of the imagination) but Killzone feels different and that's kinda cool.
    dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dtran1212

i just found out that i can peak out from cover and aim at the same time, now im massacring all of them, lol.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Default weapon is too powerful.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By get2sammyb
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "Default weapon is too powerful. "
    How do you mean? I'm interested to know because I was a bit disappointed the enemies took more than 2-3 shots. You seemed to have to land about 8 shots to kill them.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By OmegaPirate

why are people complainign about the fact that for once you are not just a floating camera??? The weapons and movement feel spot on - firing a gun and moving and aiming are all  prety tricky things to do  - let alone all at once - for once a game steps out and puts a semi-realistic tint on on it -dares to not have people running around like theyve taken 30 caps of lsd (hello CoD)  - and the first thing people do is moan??

Stop trying to compare games to eachother- enjoy a game for what it is -yes this feels nothing like CoD 4- no thats not a bad thing, yes it takes time to get used to - unless we all want to be playing CoD4 for the rest of our lives the consumer needs to get out of this mindset pretty damn quick
    dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dtran1212
    OmegaPirate said:
    "why are people complainign about the fact that for once you are not just a floating camera??? The weapons and movement feel spot on - firing a gun and moving and aiming are all  prety tricky things to do  - let alone all at once - for once a game steps out and puts a semi-realistic tint on on it -dares to not have people running around like theyve taken 30 caps of lsd (hello CoD)  - and the first thing people do is moan??
    Stop trying to compare games to eachother- enjoy a game for what it is -yes this feels nothing like CoD 4- no thats not a bad thing, yes it takes time to get used to - unless we all want to be playing CoD4 for the rest of our lives the consumer needs to get out of this mindset pretty damn quick
    "
    word

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OmegaPirate said:
    "why are people complainign about the fact that for once you are not just a floating camera???"
    Yeah, I liked that. Added to teh whole "weight" concept I alluded to earlier.
    But am I the only one who felt like the dude you were was kind of short?
    dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dtran1212
    TeflonBilly said:
    "OmegaPirate said:
    "why are people complainign about the fact that for once you are not just a floating camera???"
    Yeah, I liked that. Added to teh whole "weight" concept I alluded to earlier.
    But am I the only one who felt like the dude you were was kind of short?"
    i heard you will grow taller over the period of the game. the character is still undergoing puberty
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By chililili

Yeah your character should theoritically be either 20 cmx shorter than the average soldier/helghast or he is always in a semi crouched position, similar to how your guy normally stands in SOCOM. Because Marines do not walk upright in operations they crouch a little to reduce kickback and become a smaller target. THe weird thing is that generally helghast walk/run upright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.