Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Killzowned! (Demo Impressions)

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Edited By Jensonb

So, I played it. What did I think? Well...

Going in, I had heard that the controls of Killzone 2 were somewhat “floaty”. To me, that suggests that the aiming is imprecise and not particularly sensitive. I didn’t find that, though maybe I just misinterpreted the word. Anyway, I found the aiming tight and easy - especially after knocking the sensitivity up 2 Notches above standard.

The button controls are another matter. I would sorely love to shoot with the R2 button, but the only setup which allows this maps Zoom to R3. I found that fiddly and annoying in my first play-through, so I switched to a More CoD-like setup in subsequent plays, which maps Fire to R1 and Zoom to L1. Much less fiddly - made killing dudes much easier.

Visually, I don’t think there’s any need for comment. Everyone’s seen the videos - this is a gorgeous game. The models and textures are wonderfully detailed and the particle effects are superb. Credit is also due to the superb animation. The presentation is truly cinematic, and it seems like Guerilla considered everything in making the experience of playing like no other FPS I’ve ever seen.

Part of that might be the low-key HUD. It’s visually very attractive too. HUDs aren’t thought of too much, but so many are done wrong that it’s worth mentioning when one is done correctly. Top marks.

The loading screens are also pretty awesome, as I commented in the Video. Jeff Gerstmann was totally right, best use of SIXAXIS ever.

The sound too contributes to an awesome experience. The guns have a really intense sound (Particularly the Helghast’s primary gun) and the chatter is some of the best I’ve heard. Halo has better Enemy Chatter occasionally slips in some hilarious lines, but Killzone 2 has some great faux-authentic SoldierSpeak.

Final thoughts then go to the experience of shooting and getting shot. Taking hits in Killzone 2 is an intense experience. It’s as threatening as it is in CoD 4, but it’s worlds more visceral. Shooting dudes too is a powerful experience. All the accuracy of Half-Life 2 is paired with the glorious destruction of Gears of War.

Very nice. Totally looking forward to getting this game and forming a Clan with my mates. Think I’ve finally found an FPS I can spend a ton of time online in - I love Halo 3, but not enough of my real-life friends have Xbox 360s.  

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jensonb

So, I played it. What did I think? Well...

Going in, I had heard that the controls of Killzone 2 were somewhat “floaty”. To me, that suggests that the aiming is imprecise and not particularly sensitive. I didn’t find that, though maybe I just misinterpreted the word. Anyway, I found the aiming tight and easy - especially after knocking the sensitivity up 2 Notches above standard.

The button controls are another matter. I would sorely love to shoot with the R2 button, but the only setup which allows this maps Zoom to R3. I found that fiddly and annoying in my first play-through, so I switched to a More CoD-like setup in subsequent plays, which maps Fire to R1 and Zoom to L1. Much less fiddly - made killing dudes much easier.

Visually, I don’t think there’s any need for comment. Everyone’s seen the videos - this is a gorgeous game. The models and textures are wonderfully detailed and the particle effects are superb. Credit is also due to the superb animation. The presentation is truly cinematic, and it seems like Guerilla considered everything in making the experience of playing like no other FPS I’ve ever seen.

Part of that might be the low-key HUD. It’s visually very attractive too. HUDs aren’t thought of too much, but so many are done wrong that it’s worth mentioning when one is done correctly. Top marks.

The loading screens are also pretty awesome, as I commented in the Video. Jeff Gerstmann was totally right, best use of SIXAXIS ever.

The sound too contributes to an awesome experience. The guns have a really intense sound (Particularly the Helghast’s primary gun) and the chatter is some of the best I’ve heard. Halo has better Enemy Chatter occasionally slips in some hilarious lines, but Killzone 2 has some great faux-authentic SoldierSpeak.

Final thoughts then go to the experience of shooting and getting shot. Taking hits in Killzone 2 is an intense experience. It’s as threatening as it is in CoD 4, but it’s worlds more visceral. Shooting dudes too is a powerful experience. All the accuracy of Half-Life 2 is paired with the glorious destruction of Gears of War.

Very nice. Totally looking forward to getting this game and forming a Clan with my mates. Think I’ve finally found an FPS I can spend a ton of time online in - I love Halo 3, but not enough of my real-life friends have Xbox 360s.  

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

Video doesn't load? Hopefully you can get that sorted.

Agree with your points though. Try it with the HUD and everything turned off. It's like playing a film.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jensonb

I think the video is a temporary issue. You can view it here

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This game makes me wish I had a PS3. Oh well, I can't afford one so I'll have to do without.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jensonb

Okay, swapped the Player out for Viddler. Should work now

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By crunchUK

shit theres a jensonb.co.uk

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Systech

Man, I really, really, really wish I had some money to get a PS3.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

lol you and i may be the only two people have more friends with ps3 than 360's. 

add me my psn id is DeMolay88

systech said:
    "Man, I really, really, really wish I had some money to get a PS3."
    lol i remember i felt the same way before i got mine. just save up for it, its worth it man. 
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TheGamerGeek

Jenson... why do you have a Cars figure right in front of your TV?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wow you should see a snow day here in Labrador,Canada ; )
    Anyways nice video, I can`t wait, as for many people until the 27th.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_

You look much better in this video than in those creepy pictures you've uploaded man. You should update those. Just saying.

TheGamerGeek said:

"Jenson... why do you have a Cars figure right in front of your TV?"
    Jensonb is a huge Disney freak.

Nice monitor. Nice video. I wish I could get a friend with a Triple. I'm becoming like a broken record. I say this in every Killzone 2 thread.
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jensonb
    TheGamerGeek said:
    "Jenson... why do you have a Cars figure right in front of your TV?"
    Technically speaking, that's my Lightning McQueen Phone. Yes, it's a phone.

But as to why, Jayge is correct - I am a huge Disney geek.
    creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By creamclouds

cool video. thanks for the sharing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.