Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Killzone 2 demo impressions.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n
    Natko Dropship
    Natko Dropship
    Alright. Finally got the demo downloaded. Felt I needed to write something about it. Presentation is of course awesome. But that is news to nobody by now. I actually ended up trying to find faults in the graphics because I wanted to. And you certainly can. This is not a perfect looking game if you start to stare at stuff. But in motion it looks fantastic and thats what you´re really gotta look at here. I´m not going to be one of those jerks that nitpick the graphics for the sake of it. 
    Enemy AI and combat feels very satisfying. One of the fears I had going into this demo was that it was going to be like Resistance 2 where its waay to "arcady" for its own good and where it seems like every enemy from 10 miles away locks onto your nose when you stick it out. Enemy AI here feels much more fluid and its way more fun to fight them. So a big *phew* on that. Hitting them with your guns is also a joy to experience. Guns has nice "weight" and "kick" to them and the way that the enemies react to bullets are probably the coolest ever. Every encounter in the demo felt very well balanced from a combat standpoint. I also enjoyed the reactions from the enemy soldiers more than in any other shooter in recent memory. Their comments and reactions to shooting or grenades were very cool.

No Caption Provided
    The controls however dosent click with me at all yet. The cover mechanic feels overly complicated forcing you to hold in both L2 AND a direction on the left stick to shoot from cover. This means that when you´re shooting from cover you´re holding in THREE buttons and using up to TWO more. (hold in L2, Left stick, R1, + aim right stick and reload with square). Comparing this to what I and many others call the "Gears" standard it feels very overly complicated. Give me a button to just click once for cover and then automatically pop up from the cover when I shoot or use the aim button. I dont know if this would actually work in an FPS but in any case this resulted in me not using cover because it felt like It needed too much work. I rather just run around and shoot if they´re gonna do it like that.
    KZ2´s controls feels different and unique for sure and the demo isnt long enough for you to get used to them. Your movement has alot of "momentum" and looking around is very slow. I´ll probably get used to them when I start playing the full version.
    But controls aside the actual gameplay felt awesome. The game´s setting and story continues to remind me of a modernized Quake 2 which happens to be one of the 3 best shooters ever made. Some small stuff that also impressed me was the music before the demo actually started (Now thats some EPIC SHIT!!) and the cool Sixaxis sensitive loading screen. Small touches that contributes alot to the overall polish.
    Buying this one for sure. Gutfeeling says this is a really polished shooter and the action itself felt really satisfying.
    I just hope i´ll get used to the controls and that I get a "click to cover" button in the full version.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimbo_n
    Natko Dropship
    Natko Dropship
    Alright. Finally got the demo downloaded. Felt I needed to write something about it. Presentation is of course awesome. But that is news to nobody by now. I actually ended up trying to find faults in the graphics because I wanted to. And you certainly can. This is not a perfect looking game if you start to stare at stuff. But in motion it looks fantastic and thats what you´re really gotta look at here. I´m not going to be one of those jerks that nitpick the graphics for the sake of it. 
    Enemy AI and combat feels very satisfying. One of the fears I had going into this demo was that it was going to be like Resistance 2 where its waay to "arcady" for its own good and where it seems like every enemy from 10 miles away locks onto your nose when you stick it out. Enemy AI here feels much more fluid and its way more fun to fight them. So a big *phew* on that. Hitting them with your guns is also a joy to experience. Guns has nice "weight" and "kick" to them and the way that the enemies react to bullets are probably the coolest ever. Every encounter in the demo felt very well balanced from a combat standpoint. I also enjoyed the reactions from the enemy soldiers more than in any other shooter in recent memory. Their comments and reactions to shooting or grenades were very cool.

No Caption Provided
    The controls however dosent click with me at all yet. The cover mechanic feels overly complicated forcing you to hold in both L2 AND a direction on the left stick to shoot from cover. This means that when you´re shooting from cover you´re holding in THREE buttons and using up to TWO more. (hold in L2, Left stick, R1, + aim right stick and reload with square). Comparing this to what I and many others call the "Gears" standard it feels very overly complicated. Give me a button to just click once for cover and then automatically pop up from the cover when I shoot or use the aim button. I dont know if this would actually work in an FPS but in any case this resulted in me not using cover because it felt like It needed too much work. I rather just run around and shoot if they´re gonna do it like that.
    KZ2´s controls feels different and unique for sure and the demo isnt long enough for you to get used to them. Your movement has alot of "momentum" and looking around is very slow. I´ll probably get used to them when I start playing the full version.
    But controls aside the actual gameplay felt awesome. The game´s setting and story continues to remind me of a modernized Quake 2 which happens to be one of the 3 best shooters ever made. Some small stuff that also impressed me was the music before the demo actually started (Now thats some EPIC SHIT!!) and the cool Sixaxis sensitive loading screen. Small touches that contributes alot to the overall polish.
    Buying this one for sure. Gutfeeling says this is a really polished shooter and the action itself felt really satisfying.
    I just hope i´ll get used to the controls and that I get a "click to cover" button in the full version.
    DarkCloud97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DarkCloud97

ya I also found the cover system a bit overwhelming because of all the buttons that have to be pressed simultaneously. Although the demo was amazing and I will also be purchasing this game for sure.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

hmm i changed the controls to alternate 2 and i found that it was very very easy to control, even in the cover mode, because when you zoom in it automatically takes you out of the cover anyways to there is no need to hold l1 and l2 at the same time ever. definitely recommend using alt 2 controls, just like cod4 except l2 is crouch and cover. 

the demo was spectacular. 
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Jensonb

I liked it. I was using Standard 2 and I found the Cover a bit fiddly too. It's like the controls for cover are too abstract from the rest of the controls and it makes it hard to rationalise what you're doing with the controller with what you're trying to or are achieving onscreen.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I really enjoyed the demo. From what I hear from various podcasts, the single player picks up (in quality) considerably near the halfway mark. And multiplayer sounds good too. This game definitely has the potential to become the best FPS on current-gen consoles.

But the servers will be fucked up for several weeks.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

My thoughts :
    Not blown away.  Demo was disappointingly short (I would have really liked at least single MP/skirmish with bots level).  Controls seem different but I don't have any problem with them.  I wish they hadn't included the option for a crosshair at all, but I suppose the lack of accuracy without using sights means you're not at much of a disadvantage with them disabled.  Personally I think the Resident Evil 5 demo on 360 had better graphics :X  A much better game than KZ1 on PS2.

KZ2 remains a must buy for me though.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#7  Edited By tearhead
    TwoOneFive said:
    "hmm i changed the controls to alternate 2 and i found that it was very very easy to control, even in the cover mode, because when you zoom in it automatically takes you out of the cover anyways to there is no need to hold l1 and l2 at the same time ever. definitely recommend using alt 2 controls, just like cod4 except l2 is crouch and cover. 
    the demo was spectacular. 
    "
    I changed to Alternate 2 too at first, but zooming while holding the cover button is uncomfortable.  The default is the best, just need to get used to it. ... wait... when you zoom it takes you out of cover??

EDIT: Circle should be used as the cover button.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

if you decide to use alternative 2 controls, you have to keep your middle finger on the L2 button and your index finger to fire, its a bit of a hassle, but you use this only if you want to peak out from cover and shoot at the same time. OR, if you just want to take cover and just pop up and shoot without peaking out, then you can just use one finger (your index finger) to press L2 to take cover, and then if you want to shoot, release the L2 button and press L1 to aim and shoot. (hope this makes sense)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Yeh I got to play and it my feelings were right that this is another overrated Halo. My problem with the game are that I'm a PC guy who hasn't played on a Playstation since the first one so the control not only doesn't feel right to me but it is so cumbersome to use for an FPS and feels like I'm fighting the controller. What happens to me is like all console FPS games where the turning in it is so slow that I spend most my time with my face in the wall.

Not other that though but the graphics are really dull and boring and the only reason they look good is the dark colours hide the poor detail at a glance. However there is some really ugly textures and when you compare it with say Crysis then you see how really far ahead the PC is because the PS3 only has 256mb ram for GPU which for texture memory is very small. Also I hate the voice acting in the game and it reminds me of Haze where it is badly written but they try to do the whole Army butch swearing thing. The story just doesn't interest me and nore do the characters.

Finally the game feels very your standard FPS with Exploding Barrels and a series of kill rooms to remind you of that. I've just played better FPS games recently that have done alot more for the genre and even Half-Life 2 took the genre further with new elements of play and Killzone just stuck to run and gunning. I like downtime in the game like with HL2 where I'm sneaking about or working out physics puzzles or having a nice drive.

I'm afraid this is going to be the PS3's Halo where everyone seems to love it and I just don't get it. I didn't like Halo de to it's horrible repetitive level design.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Yeh I got to play and it my feelings were right that this is another overrated Halo. My problem with the game are that I'm a PC guy who hasn't played on a Playstation since the first one so the control not only doesn't feel right to me but it is so cumbersome to use for an FPS and feels like I'm fighting the controller. What happens to me is like all console FPS games where the turning in it is so slow that I spend most my time with my face in the wall.

Not other that though but the graphics are really dull and boring and the only reason they look good is the dark colours hide the poor detail at a glance. However there is some really ugly textures and when you compare it with say Crysis then you see how really far ahead the PC is because the PS3 only has 256mb ram for GPU which for texture memory is very small. Also I hate the voice acting in the game and it reminds me of Haze where it is badly written but they try to do the whole Army butch swearing thing. The story just doesn't interest me and nore do the characters.

Finally the game feels very your standard FPS with Exploding Barrels and a series of kill rooms to remind you of that. I've just played better FPS games recently that have done alot more for the genre and even Half-Life 2 took the genre further with new elements of play and Killzone just stuck to run and gunning. I like downtime in the game like with HL2 where I'm sneaking about or working out physics puzzles or having a nice drive.

I'm afraid this is going to be the PS3's Halo where everyone seems to love it and I just don't get it. I didn't like Halo de to it's horrible repetitive level design."
    I think mostly it will come down to people enjoying the game, if they like a Cod4 style game. If you enjoyed Cod4 a ton, I'm sure you'll have fun with Killzone. If you aren't a huge fan of that kind of shooter, or its just burned you out too much recently, I doubt KZ2 would change your mind about it.

I did that too though but its better to ignore it I would say, the whole 'going around and picking out ugly textures or low details'. They are going to be there, and anyone that tries to say otherwise is lying to themselves. However the game is so good to look at, that nitpicking those little things that you will see here and there is hardly necessary. It isn't taking anything away from the overall detail of the rest of it, or the quality of the game itself if you enjoy it.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By get2sammyb

I haven't really found a "bad" texture yet. Some of the textures on the floor are a little bit lo-res but nothing REALLY stands out. It's not at Uncharted level of detail mind. I think what makes the game good looking is the sheer amount of stuff being thrown about the screen almost effortlessly and constantly.

As a demo is there a chance some of the textures might not be of the "retail" version quality or is that unlikely?

Espi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Espi
    PapaLazarou said:

I'm afraid this is going to be the PS3's Halo where everyone seems to love it and I just don't get it. I didn't like Halo de to it's horrible repetitive level design."

First of all, just because you don't like Halo doesn't mean its bad. You're a fucking idiot and please shut up, the world isn't against PS3 fanboys and isn't going to give Halo 90's just because it's Halo. You guys need to grow the fuck up and just realize it's a great game. It doesn't innovate, but it doesn't have to. A game doesn't need to innovate in order to be good, get that through your fuckin head already.

Secondly, go watch the Nahtzee video from Pure Pwnage. He says a line that describes you pretty good. It's something like "casuals who want stories and nice graphics and all this other aesthetic bullshit instead of actually GAMEPLAY"
    ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShiroMe

Please let me change your terrible controls.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jimbo_n

I´ve played through the demo again now and control type B do feel better even if the controls are faar from smooth still. The game still feels very clunky to control no matter the control type. I dont know about first person cover.. Maybe I rather have it zoom out to third person when you stick to cover or just skip the cover mechanic all together.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.