Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kabuki: Quantum Fighter

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 21, 1990

A side-scrolling action game set in a dangerous future.

There are some ludicrous game concepts out there, but man...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Raise your hand if you've either played or heard of Kabuki: Quantum Fighter.

I can't see you from here, but I'm guessing not many of you did. Kabuki: Quantum Fighter is an old NES game in which you need to stop a computer virus from using computerized defense systems from destroying mankind. How do the men in charge propose to do this?

By converting a soldier's mind into binary data and transferring it inside the computer, of course. Also, the system hasn't even been tested, so never mind the distinct possibility that it could fail completely or kill the subject. So what does it do?

It materializes his psyche as a kabuki actor.

Now, for those of you that don't know what kabuki is, it's a form of theatrical performance dating back hundreds of years in Japan in which the actors are decked out in elaborate costumes and make-up. How does a guy like this fight inside a computer? With his hair, of course. His primary weapon is a long red mane that he whips so hard that it can kill in one strike. As for why the computer system is infested with what look like lizardmen, jaguars, and giant, fire-breathing heads, I have no idea.

Seriously, this game is just bananas.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

I admit I heard of the game, but only because I can vaguely remember reading about it in Nintendo Power way back in the day. How HAL got a hold of this game, I don't know. Sounds fucked up.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoG

Well, Halinel, you managed in one post to make me so interested in this game, I'm emulating it as we speak. It's intense! If I don't do anything, our "planet will be reduced to a pile of cinders." Scott O'Conner is my new hero.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@Hailinel: As someone who was way into Nick Arcade when it was around, I can say that I've seen my fair share of Kabuki Quantum Fighter as it was a regular game on their NES lineup for the Video Challenge.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@President_Barackbar said:

@Hailinel: As someone who was way into Nick Arcade when it was around, I can say that I've seen my fair share of Kabuki Quantum Fighter as it was a regular game on their NES lineup for the Video Challenge.

Wow. I seriously had no idea that it showed up in anything like that. When I was a kid, I never saw it in anything other than the Nintendo Power article that Dalai mentioned.

@BoG said:

Well, Halinel, you managed in one post to make me so interested in this game, I'm emulating it as we speak. It's intense! If I don't do anything, our "planet will be reduced to a pile of cinders." Scott O'Conner is my new hero.

It's definitely a challenge, but despite the weirdness, I've found it to actually be pretty fun.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@Hailinel: The ONLY reason I knew it was the same game was the hair attack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.