Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

John Carmack

Person » credited in 51 games

Co-founder of id Software, Carmack is a technical innovator in the video game industry. He is best known for his work in the Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake franchises. He officially resigned from id in November 2013 to join Oculus VR.

Who is overall Smarter, John Carmack or the Bioware Doctors?

• 66 results
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By tebbit

Carmack is smarter than many regular people sellotaped together.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @JJWeatherman:  Yeah, DLC all over the place. I don't like EA, never did, never will. "
    I don't think that a distaste for DLC is any reason to dislike EA. DLC is very quickly becoming the norm in the industry; almost everyone does it. 

EA is partially responsible for both Mass Effect 2 as well as Dragon Age: Origins. They're alright in my book. "
    Lemme clarify. I dislike EA, I dislike DLC, DLC did not make me dislike EA, but judging from the ME2 and DA DLC its not doing EA any favors for me either. "
    Huh?  EA aren't the overdoers of DLC, that would be Activision.  At least EA gives away some of its DLC and charges a reasonable price for the rest.
    GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By GreyFox

Carmack sounds more villainous and sinister. I can imageine the Biowar Doctors screaming "CAAAARMAAAACCCKKK!!!!!"when the villain does something bad.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Scooper

Carmack!

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By mnzy

I follow Carmack on twitter and never understand a word of it. So I'll go with him.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By GunnBjorn

The Doctors earned their degree in Medicine. Earning your academic degree (in whatever scientific discipline) is an incredible mental 'Tour de Force'. The games of Dr. Ray and Dr. Greg attest of their knowledge in a wide variety of  fields. Medicine, sure, but also history, computer science, space science, mathemetics, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. In short, yes, they are brilliant.  

I don't know too much about Carmack, other than that he's an autodidactic nerd and a sociopath. Obviously not a man to swear the 'Hippocratic Oath'. Kind of an odd fellow, which is typical for smart people. But yeah, making rockets is no joke! He is a genius. Fact. 

I can't and am not allowed to tell who's smarter since I'm modestly educated (BA in Logistic Management), but my heart goes out to the Bioware Doctors. They seem like very delightful gentlemen. 
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By zityz

One is a chemist who makes games. 
    The Doctors are two biologists that make games. 

Carmack is a genious yes, however if I'm sick I'm not going to him to help me.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By phrosnite

Yeah, Carmack is a programmer who is smarter than the giantbomb community put together. The doctors are design and QA geniuses so I vote for them.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By korolev

Getting a medical degree isn't easy. But creating your own rocket program? Now, THAT'S amazing.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @JJWeatherman:  Yeah, DLC all over the place. I don't like EA, never did, never will. "
    I don't think that a distaste for DLC is any reason to dislike EA. DLC is very quickly becoming the norm in the industry; almost everyone does it. 

EA is partially responsible for both Mass Effect 2 as well as Dragon Age: Origins. They're alright in my book. "
    Lemme clarify. I dislike EA, I dislike DLC, DLC did not make me dislike EA, but judging from the ME2 and DA DLC its not doing EA any favors for me either. "
    Huh?  EA aren't the overdoers of DLC, that would be Activision.  At least EA gives away some of its DLC and charges a reasonable price for the rest. "
    I dislike EA.
    I dislike DLC.
    DLC did not make me dislike EA, I already disliked them before that.
    Judging from the ME2 and DA DLC, my standing of EA is not improving much. 

I don't mind DLC, if its done well, but it isn't done well often, most of the time since the quality/time it lasts is very silly against the price.
    Why pay 15 bucks for some arcade game when it can get me loads of steam deals, bargain bin classics I might have missed or waited with and blabla, list goes on.
    I just don't like it much.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TaliciaDragonsong:   You dislike DLC and EA, that's fine.  I don't dislike EA anymore (and I once did, especially during the Spore DRM debacle).  EA have strongly redeemed themselves in my view, especially in terms of their pricing structuring. EA are one of the first companies to discount their current products on Steam.  All of their games released last year were discounted rather heavily on Steam, both in terms of pre-order pricing and also later in the year via their own discount pricing and the Steam sales.  Granted, they didn't discount their DLC (aside from bundle packs with GOTY editions of Dragon Age : Origins and Mass Effect 2) but $15 for BC2 : Vietnam still is a much better DLC deal than anything in terms of FPS DLC Activision has offered by comparison and all of the MW games are pretty much still full price even now.

DLC isn't a perfect marketing strategy, but it's better that EA rarely charges $15, as opposed to Activision who ALWAYS charge that price.
    Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Helushune

Like most other people, I'm going with Carmack.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: 
    I'm glad for you.
    I hope to gain trust in EA when they release DA2 and ME3.
    I'm happy to pay full price for games that are worth it, not many are it anymore for me tho, but its indeed a shame that some older games are still way beyond what they should be.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By MikkaQ

Oooh I voted before I remember about the rockets. 

Still, I mean.... two M.D.s are pretty collectively smart.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By eladren

the fact that the contest is between ONE individual vs TWO other tremendously talented guys should hint you about the answer  .

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#66  Edited By ThePickle

Carmack's smarter but the Docs make better games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.