Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinity Ward

Company »

Founded by ex-2015 employees, Infinity Ward is a game development company known for its highly acclaimed Call of Duty franchise.

Infinity Ward is "Dead", says insider

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Buccura
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

Good.  Maybe Activision will learn not to fuck the goodness out of a development team anymore.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

Eh, Call of Duty is already becoming a hideous zombie thing... It will carry on with Treyarch and whatever other company is making that stupid action adventure game.

The question is, MW3. MW2 stepped away from CoD as much as possible, but the quality of MW3 would depend on who owns the rights to the license. Something Activision and the fired IW heads are going over in a lawsuit.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

There's still Treyarch. Just hoping that it's not another WW II game. But it's the end of Modern Warfare 3 and future map packs for Activision.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Kyreo said:
    " Good.  Maybe Activision will learn not to fuck the goodness out of a development team anymore. "
    Activision doesn't give a shit. They just want to make games that sell. All they'll do is get people to fill in for everyone that is leaving IW and it's problem solved for them.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe no more Call of Duty, but how about "Need for Obligation?" eh?! EH?!?!?!?!

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Alexander

Who owns the IW engine?

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By nanikore
    @Kyreo said:
    " Good.  Maybe Activision will learn not to fuck the goodness out of a development team anymore. "
    Bobby never learns. He's all about the benjamins.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Alexander said:
    " Who owns the IW engine? "
    I'm pretty sure Activision owns everything that has to do with IW and CoD, which makes them able to do whatever they want to Call Of Duty.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By xMP44x

Activision won't care that they fucked over their company, their fanbase and their customers. After all, they're still making money regardless of how badly the Call of Duty franchise goes. It's a real shame because Infinity Ward was a well respected company. Fingers crossed Activision are the ones who are screwed over on the lawsuit, because then Respawn Entertainment would have the rights to produce Modern Warfare 3, albeit without the Call of Duty name. Still that may not be a bad thing considering the fact they had already tried to release Modern Warfare 2 without it being a Call of Duty game.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brunchies

The sad thing is no one really cares, MW3 will still sell as many or even more copies then MW2 did. 

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VIGGO123

Well, this isn't really surprising. At least the Infinity Ward name won't be soiled by the large amount of shit yet to come from Activision.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Holy Shit. It is Gerstmanngate all over again.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alexander
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @Alexander said:
    " Who owns the IW engine? "
    I'm pretty sure Activision owns everything that has to do with IW and CoD, which makes them able to do whatever they want to Call Of Duty. "
    That makes total sense, and seeing as how Treyarch used it in the past on Call of Duty and Quantum of Solace...
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By meteora

This is just said... Fuck Activision. I'll be waiting for whatever shooter the two developers have in mind with their new partner, EA.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Trilogy

Not surprising if it's true. You have to imagine Infinity Ward is a goddamn mess after those two head guys left. 

Keep in mind that World at War sold 11 million copies last year. As long as Treyarch can keep making a good product, I don't think the mainstream gamer really cares one way or another. Infinity Ward doesn't own the Call of Duty name so it doesn't really matter.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

If Activision thought they were going to pull out of this unscathed, they don't have the intelligent business people I thought they had.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By ToadRunner

this doesnt even make business sense for activision. why would you fuck over the most profitable game youve evwer made? do you really think you can consistently keep up the quality these guys did? what we are going to see here is the same thing that happened to guiatr hero, respawn will make their rock band equivelent and take over the market.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By The_Philosopher

Awesome, that is a feel good story. I hope all those guys stick together and keep making kick ass games. Thanks for sharing duder.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikemcn

Maybe treyarch will have some respect for the call of duty name......

I wrote that without breaking out in laughter, holy krap! Can't wait for Call of Duty: Van Halen.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @ToadRunner said:
    " what we are going to see here is the same thing that happened to guiatr hero, respawn will make their rock band equivelent and take over the market. "
    Yep. That's exactly what's gonna happen.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By animateria
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @ToadRunner said:
    " what we are going to see here is the same thing that happened to guiatr hero, respawn will make their rock band equivelent and take over the market. "
    Yep. That's exactly what's gonna happen. "
    And EA once again learns that nice guys finish... pretty well actually.

Hopefully EA won't ever go back to their evil ways ever again.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fwylo

I hope Respawn makes a game that is Modern Warfare 3.  But not.  All the names are changed and everything, but everyone KNOWS its just the end to MW

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ghostiet

The chances are minimal, next to zero, but I think the IW guys have the perfect chance to pull off something no one ever accomplished since Jesus - screw Satan over.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By poser

Now that the 'egos' have left the room, maybe there is a chance Call of Duty can go back to being good again.

But I doubt it.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By sopranosfan
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @Kyreo said:
    Activision doesn't give a shit. They just want to make games that sell. All they'll do is get people to fill in for everyone that is leaving IW and it's problem solved for them. "
    What he said.  Activision only cares about 1 thing and that is profit and profit now. 
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By vidiot

Once again: There will be a Modern Warfare 3.

Whether or not the remnants of IW are at the helm or not is another matter entirely. I have no idea what Activision is thinking, clearly their in "100% who cares about peoples perceptions of us, business mode". I would be concerned if I was a developer making games for Activision right now: "This is how they treat the guys that made one of the most commercially successful games of all time, what about us?!

As for feeling sorry and upset over the future of the MW franchise: Still personally ambivalent. I think anyone can step up and make a sequel to MW, the actual context of the franchise married to the developer is not akin to something like Kojima leaving the Metal Gear franchise. MW2 single-player was a fun, albeit humongous mess of a campaign. Activision will probably give the rights to a new MW game to someone else, unless IW get's to keep their properties from the pending lawsuits.

I think the guys leaving IW are better off right now. They're going to be free of Activision, and EA will most certainly give them a chance to branch out. If anything this situation has given more definition to the term "irony", because I still remember when these guys jumped ship from the Medal Of Honor franchise.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fallen189

In the time it takes them to build their own engine and even make MW3, I'll die from age. Also, I don't care.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aus_azn

About time. This saga is becoming interesting.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo

I think people are being incredibly naive to think that this isn't a big deal for Activision, and that they can just hand the franchise off to Treyarch or IW replacements and still enjoy the same level of success.  This is a disaster for Activision - they have completely mishandled their top talent and misjudged the people working immediately under them.  This has Medal of Honor franchise written all over it to me.

The suggestion Activision made publicly - that they intend to win the lawsuit and then take the $36million (or however much Acti think it is) owed to West and Zampella and pay it out to any remaining IW employees - is not only insulting to those employees, but also smacks of desperation.  If they made that suggestion to me I would feel even more obliged to walk the fuck out than I did already.  Not only are they trying to have Judas betray Jesus for thirty pieces of silver, but they even have the audacity to shake Jesus down for the fucking bribe money.  Incredible.

Edit:  But what would be awesome is if the IW secretary or somebody was the only person to stay on, and Activision ended up having to pay them the whole $36mil.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By luce

Meanwhile my friend is playing MW2 right now fully content and doesn't give a flying shit about any of this (not that he knows)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By jakob187

Oh, hey.  It's a thread where people are going to say that Treyarch sucks and IW are the gods of FPS gaming. 

West and Zampella are just as guilty of being egomaniacs are Activision is.  I think people continue to forget that they have ONLY WORKED ON ONE FRANCHISE IN THEIR ENTIRE EXISTENCE as Infinity Ward.  Before that, they worked on Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. 

*clap clap clap*  Congratulations to West and Zampella for making a shitload of war-based FPS games.  No one has done that before.  T_T 

Seriously, Treyarch has a lot of experience and time under their belt, and World at War - hint hint - didn't suck, contrary to the popular belief of haters.  Was it perfect?  No...but neither is Modern Warfare 2...or Call of Duty 4.  Call of Duty 2 was the last time that I can truly say "Infinity Ward made a goddamn amazing FPS".  Treyarch is a publisher studio to the extreme - they are told to make something, and they do it.  They don't throw their fucking egos around much (except for when West, Zampella, or Bowling felt the need to act like assholes during the release of World at War), they get the job done, and generally, the games don't suck.  Not perfect, but they don't suck. 

Hopefully, this move will give Treyarch a chance to be more than just "those OTHER guys that make Call of Duty games". 

As for the story at hand, it's not surprising.  A lot of those guys have worked together for a long time.  Regardless, it's a modern day military shooter.  Many other studios have proven they can make good modern day military shooters.  They just don't have the hype machine of Activision behind it.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raviolisumo

Respawn needs to make a game called Cod Squad: Today's Conflict.  

It's about a bunch of ex cod fisherman who turn into a vigilante group after their boat is sunk by a russian sub under the payment of the CIA. Or something like that.

michaelhaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By michaelhaar
    @The_Philosopher said:
    " Awesome, that is a feel good story. I hope all those guys stick together and keep making kick ass games. Thanks for sharing duder. "
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman

I hope Respawn does well. Even though the name is crappy.  :P

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo
    @jakob187 said:
    " Oh, hey.  It's a thread where people are going to say that Treyarch sucks and IW are the gods of FPS gaming. 

West and Zampella are just as guilty of being egomaniacs are Activision is.  I think people continue to forget that they have ONLY WORKED ON ONE FRANCHISE IN THEIR ENTIRE EXISTENCE as Infinity Ward.  Before that, they worked on Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.  *clap clap clap*  Congratulations to West and Zampella for making a shitload of war-based FPS games.  No one has done that before.  T_T  Seriously, Treyarch has a lot of experience and time under their belt, and World at War - hint hint - didn't suck, contrary to the popular belief of haters.  Was it perfect?  No...but neither is Modern Warfare 2...or Call of Duty 4.  Call of Duty 2 was the last time that I can truly say "Infinity Ward made a goddamn amazing FPS".  Treyarch is a publisher studio to the extreme - they are told to make something, and they do it.  They don't throw their fucking egos around much (except for when West, Zampella, or Bowling felt the need to act like assholes during the release of World at War), they get the job done, and generally, the games don't suck.  Not perfect, but they don't suck.  Hopefully, this move will give Treyarch a chance to be more than just "those OTHER guys that make Call of Duty games".  As for the story at hand, it's not surprising.  A lot of those guys have worked together for a long time.  Regardless, it's a modern day military shooter.  Many other studios have proven they can make good modern day military shooters.  They just don't have the hype machine of Activision behind it. "
    Why don't you at least wait for a single person to say 'Treyarch sucks' before railing against a position you just completely invented?

It isn't a question of whether they suck or not, it's a question of whether Treyarch or the replacements can step their game up and do what IW did repeatedly, without having IW around to follow.  You might not be impressed by 'war-based FPS games', but "hint hint" they're kind of a big deal in gaming, and IW built the CoD franchise from scratch and turned it into the best-selling FPS franchise of all time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.