Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hunt Down the Freeman

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 24, 2018

Hunt Down the Freeman

Help me GB Community! You're my only hope... to verify if this game is using my remix

Dain22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dain22

Last week someone emailed me asking if I had authorized Royal Rudius Entertainment to use an old remix I made for their game "Hunt Down The Freeman". I was told that there was no mention of me in any capacity during the end credits of the game, and that this particular title was under fire for launching as a broken build with supposedly stolen assets. My music was identified within the game's music subfolder as "dawnradio.wav" and "dawnradio1.wav". I've listened to these files and can verify that they are indeed my remix, however, I can hear that some effects were added to thin out and distort the song - possibly as something to be played through an in-game radio prop.

Now, I've never had an issue with anyone using my work in a non-commercial capacity. It's been awesome seeing people perform covers of this song or make mash-up memes. However, I draw the line at putting my work into a paid product. It could be argued Ithere isn't much I can do from a legal standpoint, mainly because the remix itself is a kind of fanart. It's never been approved or made official by the original song's composer, Kelly Baily, nor Valve in any capacity. It's also possible that, given the bizarre history of this remix, the guys at Royal Rudius Entertainment misunderstood the origins of this remix and mistook it as a Source Engine asset they could legally use. Maybe they meant to put it in as a little Easter Egg. Either way, I'm not comfortable with the idea of this remix being in the game without my knowledge or consent.

Here's where you guys come in: I don't have the means to purchase this game and search through it to see if the remix was actually implemented in any of the gameplay. It's PC only, and I currently only have a Mac and PS4 Pro for my computing and gaming needs. I know most people who have purchased this game have sought a refund, but if there's anyone out there who still has it installed, it would mean the world to me if you could capture a short video clip demonstrating where this remix is presented in-game. I don't know for certain if it's been implemented at all. Perhaps the audio files I've identified where leftover placeholders and/or simply never used. Still, any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

In the event that no one has the game to check for you, I did find a full playthrough on Youtube with no commentary so if you have close to 4 hours to watch it all that's also an option. The same channel that did that full playthrough also had all cutscenes in one video as well which might be faster to get through if it was used there.

You could also try contacting Royal Rudius to ask them about where in the game it was used because you've been told the files are part of the download. If they get back to you about it then you have confirmation it's in the game. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how fair use works in this case, but even if Royal Rudius is somehow in the clear they should still credit you for the use of your remix and you could at least have a proper attribution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.