Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

So I've seen some sources praising this game's backstory, but...

• 79 results
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Genkkaku
    @Laketown said:
    " @Genkkaku said:
    " Not even one mention of Australia..  In this timeline were either to lazy or to drunk to care i guess "
    the GKR or whatever actually took over Australia and now use it as their prison colony.  ironic huh "
    Yeah no kidding 
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Genkkaku
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @Genkkaku said:
    " Not even one mention of Australia..  In this timeline were either to lazy or to drunk to care i guess "
    So par for the course then? "
    Homefront 2: Australia 

You heard it here first
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#53  Edited By Hailinel
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " Hey man video games!! Fuck it how do you know Mass Effect won't happen in the future? "
    There are times when the "Because video games" argument just doesn't cut it anymore.
    Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Grumbel
    @Hailinel said: 

And the cause of the U.S. dollar's demise is...?

The U.S. has around 14 Trillion dollar debt that could very well cause some serious trouble in the not so distant future.

You'd think that given the shenanigans that Korea had been up to for over a decade, the U.S. would have been better prepared for a Korean invasion by this point.    

Or maybe it was busy fixing its economy yet again or being involved in a few other wars, neither of which is cheap.

Magic science technology thing cripples all of America in one fell swoop.  How incredibly realistic.  

EMPs are very real and triggering only a single one could kill electric devices across the whole U.S. Add to that the power grid, which has a hard enough time to function when nobody is attacking it, and you could have quite a problem at your hands.

And anyway, Homefront is simply a near future sci-fi scenario that extrapolates a worst case scenario from problems we have right now. Its more a comment on the current situation then a try at an accurate predictions. So I really don't get why people have a problem with it.

And  general thing to keep in mind: From the end of World War I to the start of World War II took 20 years, a lot of things can go wrong in that amount of time.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

It is plausible that the already crippled USD would take a serious fall in light of oil prices going really high. But for the rest of the world to be unaffected is really, really implausible. In fact, I'd say impossible.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Apathylad said:
    " Is leaving the body of a dead American in a Russian airport with the goal of starting a Russian invasion plausible? You'd think the place would have some security cameras.  "
    If you remember the name of that airport, then you know the answer. I suppose you also know the answer if you finish the game.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Agent47
    @Hailinel: Well it was interesting, but maybe they were rushed hence why the story was coming out good but wasn't executed properly.Plus there are somethings I heard the story writers said in details.It explained a lot, somewhere in the developer diaries I think...?Not sure.As for the "Why didn't some fight back?' maybe they were already to big to and maybe they got sick of America's bullshit and said "Hey why not?".Plus I am sure a lot of it is plausible the only thing is the EMP bomb which of course is science fiction but hey suspense of disbelief.And maybe they left some plot holes for the audience to speculate ala Inception?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By animateria

Myeh, it's a video game story. 

Not like other military shooters do any better when it comes to alternate/future histories either.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By vidiot
    @Hailinel said:
    • 2025: "The Greater Korean Republic has launched its latest communication satellite claiming it will bring a message of peace" This satellite is really a EMP that knocks out near all electronics in America. The Greater Korean Republic begin the invasion. Greater Korean Republic takes over Hawaii and San Francisco.

Magic science technology thing cripples all of America in one fell swoop.  How incredibly realistic.
    Didn't Modern Warfare 2 teach you nothing??? :P

To be honest, I actually do want to play HomeFront's single-player at some point. It's simply too expensive right now on PC or consoles for a six hour experience. I'm not much into multi-player and I doubt the few hours I will play will, add only a few more hours to that play-time. The concept is complete garbage, but I really dig some of the sequences I've seen online.
    CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CABBAGES

It dosnt matter if its possible or not because its a game ! 
    Games , Books and films dont need to be possible to be good. 

Americans think they are invincible, they think no one can touch them.  Its always americans that seem to not like the story in homefront . 
    I think the story is quite good and most of it is possible.  

I think change korea for china and it is very possible because america is goin to piss china off in the near future and china are not goin to take it anymore.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Capum15
    @vidiot said:

" @Hailinel said:

• 2025: "The Greater Korean Republic has launched its latest communication satellite claiming it will bring a message of peace" This satellite is really a EMP that knocks out near all electronics in America. The Greater Korean Republic begin the invasion. Greater Korean Republic takes over Hawaii and San Francisco.

Didn't Modern Warfare 2 teach you nothing??? :P  To be honest, I actually do want to play HomeFront's single-player at some point. It's simply too expensive right now on PC or consoles for a six hour experience. I'm not much into multi-player and I doubt the few hours I will play will, add only a few more hours to that play-time. The concept is complete garbage, but I really dig some of the sequences I've seen online. "
    To be fair, apart from exploding the ISS with a shockwave (lolwut), the EMP generated would pretty much fry everything electronic on the surface in a fairly large radius, as demonstrated back in '62 with "Starfish Prime". The explosion was around 900 miles away from Hawaii and it still fried some street lights and a telephone companies' microwave link, whatever that is.

Anyway, Homefront seems interesting to just play, though I'll probably wait for the price to drop. I might get Killzone 3 in the meantime, or something, I'm not sure.

Edit: The nuke would probably fry a lot of Satellites in the area too, wouldn't it? Maybe even the ISS, just not, you know, exploding the thing.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62  Edited By vidiot
    @Capum15 said:
    " @vidiot said:

" @Hailinel said:

Didn't Modern Warfare 2 teach you nothing??? :P  To be honest, I actually do want to play HomeFront's single-player at some point. It's simply too expensive right now on PC or consoles for a six hour experience. I'm not much into multi-player and I doubt the few hours I will play will, add only a few more hours to that play-time. The concept is complete garbage, but I really dig some of the sequences I've seen online. "
    To be fair, apart from exploding the ISS with a shockwave (lolwut), the EMP generated would pretty much fry everything electronic on the surface in a fairly large radius, as demonstrated back in '62 with "Starfish Prime". The explosion was around 900 miles away from Hawaii and it still fried some street lights and a telephone companies' microwave link, whatever that is.

Anyway, Homefront seems interesting to just play, though I'll probably wait for the price to drop. I might get Killzone 3 in the meantime, or something, I'm not sure.

Edit: The nuke would probably fry a lot of Satellites in the area too, wouldn't it? Maybe even the ISS, just not, you know, exploding the thing. "
    I appreciate your attempt to analyze the thing that is Modern Warfare 2's...and I'm going to use this word very lightly here... "story".
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Afroman269

Wow that timeline is ridiculous. The only thing that I see kinda plausible would be that the U.S would be slow to take itself off of the use of oil and not embrace alternative energy sources faster. Getting to $20 gas without any real alternative for fuel is pretty insane to see happen. Also letting N. Korea become some kind of super power without any real opposition is stupid, but then again....VIDJA GAMEZ!!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Gabriel

To be honest at least they put some effort into explaining it as opposed to Russians just parachuting into Patrick Swayze's school. 

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By SBYM

The more ridiculous the premise the better.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By natetodamax

Today a friend of mine tried to argue that Homefront's story was realistic and that everything that occurs in it could totally happen in real life.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ryanwho

This game story is not true to life.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ryanwho
    @Gabriel said:
    " To be honest at least they put some effort into explaining it as opposed to Russians just parachuting into Patrick Swayze's school.  "
    Russia knew the heart of America was random rednecks in the rural midwest. Its a cautionary tale, sir.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By EpicSteve

Regardless of plotholes, the backhistory is still really interesting.  

Regardless, what about the U.S. Army post in South Korea? Where the hell was the U.S. and China when Japan was being invaded. Also, where the hell was Canada, Mexico, and Europe when the U.S. was being attacked!? 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead said:
    " Breaking News: Hailinel doesn't like a western game. Latest Developments: Picks holes in fictional storyline; Thinks he's actually making a point. "
    Normally I'd totally agree with you, but he's absolutely right about the plot being utter nonsense. Even Hitler wasn't appeased with nine sovereign nations before military action was taken.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Gabriel
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Regardless of plotholes, the backhistory is still really interesting.   Regardless, what about the U.S. Army post in South Korea? Where the hell was the U.S. and China when Japan was being invaded. Also, where the hell was Canada, Mexico, and Europe when the U.S. was being attacked!?  "
    Nanomachines.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Capum15
    @vidiot:  I wasn't trying to analyze anything. Or at least I wasn't realizing I was. I was just saying that a nuke detonated in orbit above a country could, indeed, fry a significant amount of electronic devices, and probably any satellite unfortunate enough to be near it.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " Breaking News: Hailinel doesn't like a western game. Latest Developments: Picks holes in fictional storyline; Thinks he's actually making a point. "
    Normally I'd totally agree with you, but he's absolutely right about the plot being utter nonsense. Even Hitler wasn't appeased with nine sovereign nations before military action was taken. "
    Please tell me you're not using real world World War 2 factual history as a rebuttal to a fictional timeline.
    Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#74  Edited By Grumbel
    @Agent47 said:

Plus I am sure a lot of it is plausible the only thing is the EMP bomb which of course is science fiction but hey suspense of disbelief.

EMPs are not science fiction, even special EMP weapons are not science fiction, have a look at 
    http://kyl.senate.gov/legis_center/subdocs/030805_pry.pdf, especially the last page, which deals specifically with North Korea.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75  Edited By Rockdalf

Does the back story address the amount of civilian owned arms in our country?  I mean... I don't think a full out invasion would go as easily as portrayed.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    " Hey man video games!! Fuck it how do you know Mass Effect won't happen in the future? "
    There are times when the "Because video games" argument just doesn't cut it anymore. "
    I agree.  Final Fantasy 13 is one of those times.  The whole of it.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead said:

" @President_Barackbar said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    Normally I'd totally agree with you, but he's absolutely right about the plot being utter nonsense. Even Hitler wasn't appeased with nine sovereign nations before military action was taken. "
    Please tell me you're not using real world World War 2 factual history as a rebuttal to a fictional timeline. "
    Just because historical fiction is fiction doesn't mean it can't look ridiculous if its extremely implausible. The the problem with Homefront is that it makes no effort to establish that this is some alternate universe where North Korea is more powerful, it firmly plants itself in OUR REALITY, which means it looks very silly.
    AceBlack19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By AceBlack19
    @President_Barackbar: I think you nailed the issue with Homefront, and I'm going to expand  on that.  Here's my perspective on narrative in... anything really, so take it, leave it, or ignore it. No hard feelings on this end;

Any story needs to establish a set of "rules" for its universe, I feel. These rules can be broken or violated, provided there is a reason for it to happen. A good example of this is Mass Effect (I'll cite the first one for now). In the first few hours of Mass Effect, you get a great idea for the Military Order, the humans place in the intergalactic political realm, and it even starts with Shepard meeting some Spectres so you get a good sense of how important they are. That way, you can understand how dangerous it is that one has gone Rogue, and whats at stake should you succeed or fail. Its not cemented in reality, but it still establishes an important set of rules to found itself upon.

Homefront does not do this. As Barackbar points out, Homefront went for a realistic setting. It pushes high drama moments and masses of bodies you NEED TO BE SAD AT RIGHT NOW. Asking the gamer to accept a bizarre sequence of events with very little explanation completely ruins any of the realistic angle they were going for. Maybe it might help to allude to some mass EMP device being researched in the early years before open conflict, but honestly, that wouldn't explain a complete lack of international involvement or the sudden economic explosion of  North Korea. 

Um... in other words, I agree with the OP.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#79  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Considering the USA shares a power grid with Canada in a lot of areas, an EMP would also take out parts of Canada but the intro missed that.  The only way I could possibly believe a USA invasion and actually holding it is if the story takes place hundreds of years in the future.  I really find it funny that the game suggests that the two Koreas would unite in two years and that the North leader would be installed as a dictator.  I would love to hear some South people chime in on what they would do if that happened.  There would be a civil war and/or military coup.  And yeah, I love how it says nobody comes to the aid of Japan and that Japan just rolls over dead.  Its stupid. 

The whole plot and story is just beyond impossible, its just plain stupid.  Whoever wrote this story and whoever approved it should be blacklisted in the industry. 

But saying all that, the gameplay isn't bad so far.  I'm on the third mission and generally liking the combat but rolilng my eyes at the 'shocking' story blah blah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.