Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

I loves me some marketing spin...

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

"From an interview  with Rex Dickson, a level designer for Kaos Studios ( link).

"We don't do the branching paths with different outcomes like you would find in Mass Effect, Fallout or Oblivion. In Homefront, the squad around you have choices and argue which is right or not. The player gets to make this mental decision about what they would have done. Most of those choices are made by the squad over the course of the game, but you're encouraged to project yourself into it and ask yourself what you would have done."

The way I read this, he's saying, 'Well, this game is really linear, and things will happen in the game, and you have absolutely zero control, but then later, you can think about how you would have done it, even though, from a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter what you would have done because this game is really linear.'

I'm 100% interested to see what the take of people who enjoy these types of games is when it comes out.  It's not my type of game at all really, but it seems like THQ and Kaos are kind of pitting it against the other big players in the militaristic FPS genre, like EA did with Medal of Honor and borked in the process.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bravetoaster
    @Krakn3Dfx said:
     The way I read this, he's saying, 'Well, this game is really linear, and things will happen in the game, and you have absolutely zero control, but then later, you can think about how you would have done it, even though, from a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter what you would have done because this game is really linear.'   
    That's what I gathered from that statement as well. 
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By ToxicFruit

well the single player in most first person shooters are often really linear i.e half life 2, modern warfare so this is not really a point you can criticize it on. And the multi player does really interesting. 
    I think a lot of people will give it a go 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

What a strange thing to say. The part in the interview about product placement is pretty neat though.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By eskimo

We don't do the flying simulation with different planes like you would find in HAWX, Ace Combat or FSX. In Homefront, some dude in the sky will have a plane and get to bomb Kim Jong-il. The player gets to imagine that they're flying a plane. Most of those planes are made by the squad over the course of the game, but you're encouraged to project yourself into it and ask yourself what you would have done.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117

While that is really bad spin, I don't think there is anything wrong with linear storytelling. Not every game has to be about player choice.

PhunkyPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PhunkyPhantom

Most people who are interested to get this game or tired of playing COD are mostly going for  the multiplayer. 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't see the problem here. What he's saying is that there are going to be tough decisions faced in the game, but since you are part of a squad (and I'm guessing not the leader of the squad) you are not in a position to choose which option to take. But, the decisions are so engaging that you will end up having your own opinion on them and will think about them even after you finish the game.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Slaker117 said:
    " While that is really bad spin, I don't think there is anything wrong with linear storytelling. Not every game has to be about player choice. "
    This, with an emphasis on "really bad spin"
    GUTBOMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GUTBOMB

I'm  sure the campaign will be linear and fairly standard in the FPS genre, with the resistance "Red Dawn" premise for flavor. That is fine with me.
    I am purchasing this game for multiplayer, and could care less If the campaign consisted of a blank screen and then achievement unlocked. 

BF:BC2- played the campaign once. the multiplayer since release and going (level 49)
    Black ops- Lost interest in the single player and never even finished it. 

That having been said, I do expect quality single player in certain franchises such as Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six etc.
    Obviously, the optimal situation is a great component for each, unfortunately that is usually  not the case.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rowr

I've heard nothing about this game besides that it seems people are excited for it and preorders are available etc. I watched a quick gameplay trailer on youtube and it looked like it could quite easily be subpar as fuck.

Is there any evidence to support that this game might be good? Who the fuck are Kaos? When was the last time thq published an AAA shooter?

Is this simply riding the popularity of call of duty with the casual gamer crowd? Or have i missed something intriguing?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By jozzy
    @supermike6 said:
    " I don't see the problem here. What he's saying is that there are going to be tough decisions faced in the game, but since you are part of a squad (and I'm guessing not the leader of the squad) you are not in a position to choose which option to take. But, the decisions are so engaging that you will end up having your own opinion on them and will think about them even after you finish the game. "
    That's definately better spin that the original guy, if true (you being a part of a squad).
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

I love linear games, these guys had to put a lot of effort into making them sound like a bad thing. Good show boys...

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Three0neFive

Ah yes, the age old moral dilemma - to shoot that evil invading Korean soldier in the face, or not to shoot that evil invading Korean soldier in the face.

That's deep, bro.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @eskimo said:
    "  We don't do the flying simulation with different planes like you would find in HAWX, Ace Combat or FSX. In Homefront, some dude in the sky will have a plane and get to bomb Kim Jong-il. The player gets to imagine that they're flying a plane. Most of those planes are made by the squad over the course of the game, but you're encouraged to project yourself into it and ask yourself what you would have done. "
    made me chuckle

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.