Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Harmonix Music Systems

Company »

Harmonix Music Systems are the creative developers behind many music / rhythm games. They were founded on March 1, 1995 in Cambridge Massachusetts by Alex Rigopulos and Eran Egozy. They were acquired by Epic Games in November 2021.

EA isn't Buying Harmonix...Probably

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HubrisRanger

In a conversation with Bloomberg, EA CEO John Riccitello said some pretty raw dog things in terms of who they are considering acquiring and partnering with in the future. He most specifically made very pointed comments about the question of buying the in-stores-now music game developer Harmonix:

"Moves that look like I'm doubling down on yesterday would make it harder to still convince investors that tomorrow is the Promise Land...I'm sure some smart investor will buy the business feeling they can catch a falling knife, but more people have been cut trying to catch falling knives than have benefited from getting the timing exactly right." 

Translation: things are pretty unstable right now, and buying the lead developer in  what is pretty much a waning genre seems like a pretty bad investment, even if it is THE guys who made this whole party begin in the first place. This is mostly surprising due to EA's past relationship with Harmonix, as distributor of the Rock Band games, but it is also pretty indiciative of just how dead everyone seems to think this whole rhythm game trend is about to become (if we aren't already there).

Overall, this is a pretty dire interview in general, though it is always refreshing to see people like JR talking frankly about the state of the business of gaming, even if that state can be boiled down to "pretty dang bad." 

Source: Bloomberg
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Harsh, but completely valid.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " Harsh, but completely valid. "
    ...also, pretty awesomely worded.
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Malakhii

Poor Harmonix. They were MTV's bottom bitch, who they whored out and made a killing off of, but they pushed her a little too hard so she developed some flaws and some clients got bored of her. Now they're trying to sell her to another pimp. Hopefully she finds a cool pimp daddy who treats her right, and buys her makeup, so she has the chance to prosper again. Or they could sell her to the wrong pimp, who will just use her in gang-bangs until she is all used up, never to soar again.  

I Wonder what kind of pimp he is......
     I Wonder what kind of pimp he is......
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's a real shame that Harmonix are stuck in the position they are, but now Harmonix have done pretty much everything imaginable with the Rock Band franchise, there really isn't a whole lot of incentive for companies to buy them up.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

EA couldn't catch a falling balloon, let alone a falling knife.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Cybexx

It just struck me that Microsoft should and might actually want to buy Harmonix. It is kind of obvious because Dance Central is the Kinect's poster child, you can't really go multi-platform with that game and the Kinect is selling well enough that it will probably be around for another year. I suspect Microsoft would want to see at least one more Dance Central game for their platform. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Cybexx said:
    " It just struck me that Microsoft should and might actually want to buy Harmonix. It is kind of obvious because Dance Central is the Kinect's poster child, you can't really go multi-platform with that game and the Kinect is selling well enough that it will probably be around for another year. I suspect Microsoft would want to see at least one more Dance Central game for their platform.  "
    I support this idea. Send it to Mr. Gates asap.
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By s7evn

I'm glad they are making the choice based on how the genres doing and how tough it would be to put out a success, unlike Activision and what they did to Bizarre Creations. Hopefully Harmonix finds someway to keep developing games, they are really good at what they do, but the genre is in a decline and it would be hard for anyone to justify the purchase with that knowledge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.