Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

What Was The Best Halo Game

• 76 results
    ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 36

Poll What Was The Best Halo Game (187 votes)

Halo 33%
    Halo 2 22%
    Halo 3 39%
    Halo 4 6%
     • 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#51 gamer_152  Moderator

No Reach or 3: ODST? This is a really hard one for me, but if forced I think I'd choose 3.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Poppduder

Reach.

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#53  Edited By ScottyHawkeye

@tarsier said:

people picking reach and ODST just cause they arent on the poll? i think theyre not there for very good reason lol

true that

those games are nothing compare to the ones i listed

they stunk that's why they aren't there

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I picked Reach and not because it's not on the poll. If you're going to dictate which one people can and can't like best why even bother with the poll in the first place.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

For me it goes Halo CE, Reach, ODST, Halo 3, Halo 4, Halo 2. I base this off single player mainly and not multiplayer

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By winsord

Of the ones listed, I'd say 2 > 3 > 1. I haven't played 4 and I don't really have any intentions on playing it any time soon. I actually just re-bought ODST (traded my original copy in for Modnation Racers, a grave mistake) and it should be arriving shortly. There's so little of that game that I really remember as I just kind of plowed through it in like two days following its release, so I'm excited to play it again at a more measured pace.

Controversial opinion time: Halo 2 has the best pistol, the one from 1 & 3 sucks. Two M6Cs makes for great fun.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By Justin258

The first one.

I actually just played through all of the Halo games in a row. A little bit insane, but whatever.

I think the first one is still a hell of a lot of fun and, somewhere, I still like it the most. A pretty good science fiction story that manages to balance all of its parts pretty well? A lot of really fun gameplay? Still looks pretty impressive? Still plays exceptionally well? Yep, check on all of these. Gameplay wise, though, I'd be lying if I said that the last third of that game doesn't sometimes get annoying. I always have thought the Library was pretty bad, and it is, but it's not as annoying as some parts of the level where you have to run through a Covenant ship again.

Oddly enough, my opinion on Halo 2 improved. Sure, it doesn't have as many high points as Halo 1 and 3 do, but it also doesn't have a level you can point to and say "what the fuck, Bungie?" It also has a more complex story than 1 or 3 but, again, it's the middle chapter, so it doesn't have the satisfaction of a conclusion or the interest of first setting foot into a world. Still, I didn't realize how much they had to balance in terms of expanding the universe, showing half the campaign from the Covenant perspective, breaking up the Covenant, attacking Earth, going to a new Halo, etc, and it all works and fits together pretty well.

While I'm at it - 3 is a pretty good conclusion but Cortana's constant weird messages are annoying and stupid more than they are cryptic and mysterious. ODST is all right, but the levels are too short and the characters are bland and boring (yes, it's got a great soundtrack and the city at night looks fantastic). Reach's characters are better, but not that much better, but it makes up for it with a decent plot. 4 is fun to play and feels like it's the biggest and loudest of them all, but its story is just full of holes and problems due to a dependence on the expanded fiction.

I should probably have written a blog post about this.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Halo 1 purely because I played it all the time on PC, I spent so much time playing on Blood Gulch alone and it's not like I exclusively played it.

I personally never found the others to have the same staying power and got much more enjoyment out of COD and Battlefield.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The original Halo: Combat Evolved. Not to say that all the others aren't great. They really are. The original Halo has a deep place in my heart, though.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Corevi

Reach has the best multiplayer and the second best campaign, ODST has the second best multiplayer and the best campaign.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

ODST

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By Sarnecki

I voted for one because it had the least convuluted and most comprehensively interesting story line, and it's the first time and all that...

But thinking about it 3 is probably the best. I spent a ton of time playing multiplayer, the story was decent etc. 4 was also strong, and Reach was also fantastic fun. ODST despite the length was kind of an excellent little Halo experience...

The only truly BAD Halo game is 2. Without the multiplayer that mess would be irredeemable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ODST for campaign.

Halo CE for multiplayer.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I still won't vote if there is no Reach.

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I voted 2 but ODST and Reach are way superior.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By dagas

@tarsier said:

people picking reach and ODST just cause they arent on the poll? i think theyre not there for very good reason lol

true that

those games are nothing compare to the ones i listed

they stunk that's why they aren't there

No. People are picking Reach because it is the best! It is the pinnacle of Bungie's Halo games.

Gameplay wise it wins by far over the previous titles.

Story I would say Halo 1 wins because that was the first game and it was still a mystery.

I would say

1. Reach

2. Halo 1

3. Halo 3

4. ODST

5 Halo 4

6 Halo 2

Actually I have just finished the first level of Halo 4 but it is still better than the mess that is Halo 2. I never liked Halo 2.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Halo:CE was "that game" for me. Everyone has one. The game that comes out at the right time in your childhood and somehow grabs a hold of you more than all the games before or after it. As a result Halo 2 ended up being my most anticipated game ever and in the end I was disappointed with it. That's why I went into Halo 3 with more tempered expectations and ended up really enjoying it. Reach never really clicked with me that much, Halo 4 was surprisingly great and ODST is a small masterpiece.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
    2. Halo 3
    3. Halo 3: ODST
    4. Halo 2
    5. Halo 4
    6. Halo Reach
    theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I really thought Reach had fantastic multiplayer.

I like the campaign a lot too.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

It's one of the two you didn't include in the poll.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ODST

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ODST. I haven't even played it, but I guess that's about as stupid as not listing entries that you don't personally like?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 1. At the time it was incredible. Couch co-op through the campaign was like nothing anyone had seen before. None of the sequels had anywhere near the impact.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

ODST, followed by Reach.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Sarnecki

So basically we've learned being biased and not including games you don't like in list threads like this will come back to bite you in the ass. I'm so embarrassed for you right now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By penguindust

Reach is the real answer but of the ones listed I voted "2". Yes, even with the lunacy of the giant space plant, it was better than the others I believe. Well, let's say I had the most fun with that iteration of the game series. I haven't played "4" yet, so I'll be looking forward to it when I pick up an XBO next year (shortly before "5" drops). Combat Evolved was good, but I can't get over the monotony that was the library. Even after all these years it still bugs me.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marathon.

You mean Marathon: DURANDAL, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.