Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 5: Guardians

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 27, 2015

Eight months after the events of Halo 4, the Master Chief has reunited with his former SPARTAN-II comrades. After they go AWOL, a team of SPARTAN-IVs known as Fireteam Osiris is assigned to hunt them down.

Are you going to risk buying Halo 5 at launch?

• 69 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you going to risk buying Halo 5 at launch? (321 votes)

Yes 47%
    No 34%
    Maybe/I don't know 19%

I ask this because The Master Chief Collection was honestly an abortion of a release. Campaign, achievements, and especially multiplayer did not work properly for over a month, and they're still patching the thing.

With all that happening, do you think you'll buy Halo 5 day 1? Absolutely not for me. I know it's a different situation because it's just one game on a disc and not 4, also I hear stuff about different studios developing different parts of Halo MCC. But not only do I not trust them enough to give $60 bucks again on a defective product, but Halo MCC has really soured me on 343 and the Halo series. I'm definitely waiting to see what gamers say about it before going for that midnight launch pre-order pick up like I did with Halo MCC. Huge mistake.

• 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@ntm said:

@mb: Yeah, that wasn't my intention. I do plan on buying it day one, but it isn't really a 'no matter what' kind of thing; it never is.

I'm sure you have seen that kind of attitude though, even on Giant Bomb. I see it all the time - posts where people say things like that. "Yeah the last game was broken but I love Sonic so I preordered/am buying it day one regardless." It blows my mind.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By NTM

@mb: Definitely. I can understand why you thought that; it does happens quite often, and attitudes similar. It is seen less often on Giant Bomb though, at least from what I see.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yeah. I honestly believe this wasn't intended with MCC,

I... what...? Obviously it wasn't "intended." Doesn't make it any less messed up. I love Destiny, so I thought I would go back and and play through all of Bungie's previous games back to back and maybe I'll end up liking Halo, but this whole thing really soured me. Unless they release a new disc version with all the updates and patches on the disc itself, I'm not going to go and buy MCC and then download another trillion gigabytes of patches.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

If reports come out and declare it to be functional (beforehand) then yes.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely. As with MCC if it's broke i'll just play campaigns first.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not saying it isn't possible, but obviously MCC had special circumstances.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By zombie2011

@liquidprince said:
    @kindnivore said:

Yeah. I honestly believe this wasn't intended with MCC,

I... what...? Obviously it wasn't "intended." Doesn't make it any less messed up. I love Destiny, so I thought I would go back and and play through all of Bungie's previous games back to back and maybe I'll end up liking Halo, but this whole thing really soured me. Unless they release a new disc version with all the updates and patches on the disc itself, I'm not going to go and buy MCC and then download another trillion gigabytes of patches.

If your just going to play the single player which is sounds like from your post you can without any patches. The SP always worked fine, it was just the MP matchmaking that was slow.

Also the patches they put out aren't that large, like a couple gigs each. Beside the day one patch, which was downloading the MP component.

TheEvansHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think not. I haven't bought a Halo game on release day since Halo 3, since that left me regretting my purchase. I hardly ever purchase games on release day anyway, because if you look hard enough, within about a week you'll find the game for $45 instead of $60 (which will definitely happen with Halo as they'll want to bump sales after fixing the numerous bugs that will surely present themselves upon release).

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I'll buy Halo 5, but since I'm more of a campaign-first kind of player, I don't have any need to try and keep up with the Joneses, so to speak. I'll probably wait until the game is a little cheaper than retail price. No need for me to rush out and drop sixty dollars on what'll end up being an eight-hour singleplayer experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I honestly don't know. I didn't have a Xbone or MCC when it launched as a hot mess, so I didn't personally feel any wrong doing, but I know all about it. I feel there are two ways of looking at it. 1) they've fucked up before so they could fuck up again, so I'm just going to wait and see. 2) their last fuck up was so bad they know they can't fuck up so I have nothing to worry about. I kind of feel like 2 is more probable.

I'll probably decide if it's a day one buy for me closer to launch, based upon what my library is like then. MGS V may still be all I need around that time.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By nickhead

I was already losing interest in Halo, but I still got sucked in to buying an Xbone and MCC due to nostalgia. That launch was unfortunate and basically the last nail in Halo's coffin for me personally.

I want to run through the campaign, but I don't see myself playing much multiplayer, so I'm still undecided if I'll be there at launch.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yeah I mean, I'm a huge Halo fanboy so yes, but really, the Beta was awesome, and 1 game that was not primarily developed by 343 that has 4 different games inside of it is not enough to convince me the Halo 5 will be broken, a main line Halo has never really been broken, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I can't wait for October.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Dixavd

Them getting rid of local split-screen multiplayer has cemented the fact that I'm not going to get an Xbox One at all now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not sure I would call it a risk... so yes I guess

Yikes. ultra-multi-necro-thread

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in for week 1. I have a wedding to attend that will happen around the games launch.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By Justin258

It was a miracle that the MCC was able to work at all. They had to get four different games originally released on two different consoles to communicated with each other and over the internet. And remember that one of those games has never had matchmaking and only had online play on the PC version - and if they ported the PC version, that makes four different games on three different platforms. That's a hell of an undertaking.

If I own an Xbox One by the time Halo 5 launches then yes, I will purchase it.

Avatar image for coltondaniels45
    coltondaniels45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am to far invested into Halo and to much of a fan to just not get it day one. I have not beat halo 4 or read all the books but I am still sticking with the series through the thick and thin.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I really enjoy Halo, have loved its multiplayer, but after seeing and hearing about how awfully Master Chief Collection has been handled I'm definitely going to hold off and see how it goes and what the reaction is like. I hope 343 nail it and we get a fantastic game, but I don't have enough faith to pre-order the game/buy it on release (and usually when I'm interested in a game I'll pre-order for release day delivery).

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

it's unfortunate, but i think, "risk buying at launch" is applicable to all games now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.