Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Why no matchmaking for Firefight?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

I find it to be a strange decision by Bungie to not include a matchmaking system for Firefight. People like me who have few friends that play Halo are going to be left out in the cold. Anyone have any ideas why they would have done such a thing? I personally hope that they add the functionality in with a patch at some point.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Me too.  I don't have any friends....  

I hate forced community!

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Damien

Samesies.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By bagmanforhire

i was wondering the same thing, maybe they patch it in.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Time_Lord
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187

Well, maybe they just don't have the servers up for it yet...

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CenturionCajun

I know we've got a nice thread of people posting up gamertags but I'm speaking more for the likely millions of others who are going to buy this game.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson

It does seem like a weird oversight, I'm sure they had their reasons however. Still-  ...HOLY SHIT IT'S HERE, WOO-HOO MY COPY JUST CAME!

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SoothsayerGB

How many of those people will be up at 4am on a Tuesday? How many just want to play one round then quit?  Eh... Firefight seemed pretty cool.  But this just makes me want to find something else to do.  Like how Gear's Horde Mode didn't have any way to change the difficulty in public matches.  Non of the few friends I have ever played it when I was on. 

Not a big deal, easy way around it.  Just seems lazy.  This isn't casual friendly.  Oh well...

hurry up bombcast!

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#10  Edited By JackiJinx

Don't know if this ever occured to any of you fellas, but gaming with each other seems like a decent, albeit possibly temporary, solution.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's kinda strange, but honestly, Gears 2 horde matchmaking can get really annoying.

People leave whenever the feel like it, and then you've lost a teammate. I'd rather not be matchmaked with some kid who's gonna constantly yell at the rest of the team for dying and whatnot, or some twelve year old who's upset that other people keep taking the sniper rifle.

It's really not fun playing those kind of games with strangers, especially in games that you're going to have to deal with these other dudes for quite a while.

You're going to want, and need to communicate with these other people about where enemies are and it can get very difficult when you do this with randoms, there's no accountability for leaving. You're friends aren't going to abandon you on purpose like the randoms will.

I sort of agree that the option should probably be there, but it would probably end up soiling the experience.

Not to mention, that a lot of people who are still playing Halo 3, or are just Halo fans, are generally people with friends who will play with them.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By choffy21
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " Yeah, it's kinda strange, but honestly, Gears 2 horde matchmaking can get really annoying.  People leave whenever the feel like it, and then you've lost a teammate. I'd rather not be matchmaked with some kid who's gonna constantly yell at the rest of the team for dying and whatnot, or some twelve year old who's upset that other people keep taking the sniper rifle.  It's really not fun playing those kind of games with strangers, especially in games that you're going to have to deal with these other dudes for quite a while.  You're going to want, and need to communicate with these other people about where enemies are and it can get very difficult when you do this with randoms, there's no accountability for leaving. You're friends aren't going to abandon you on purpose like the randoms will.  I sort of agree that the option should probably be there, but it would probably end up soiling the experience.  Not to mention, that a lot of people who are still playing Halo 3, or are just Halo fans, are generally people with friends who will play with them. "
    At least the option is there.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CenturionCajun

I personally would rather be able to play with the chance that someone will be immature and quit than not be able to play at all because most of the time I can't find anyone on my friends list.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

I believe it's because it uses campaign tech 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Sooty

The Halo 3 engine doesn't support matchmaking for co-op and it uses the same version of this. It would have taken too much time for the small team at Bungie to rework this. (so it's said anyway)

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Zereta

Firefight is built on top of the existing Campaign networking and while it probably would have been possible to do it anyway, I think, with the limited timescope, team size and the fact that most of the Engineers probably were already over at Reach and the New IP busting out the engines for those, they just couldn't make the adjustments. 

It seems like a given though, that if (or rather, when) Firefight appears in Reach, there will be Matchmaking.

grrsnort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By grrsnort

I'm thinking it's because of 2 reasons: 
    1: they had a finite budget and a shorter amount of time to make this game in.  The tech behind Halo 3's MP matchmaking was EXTREMELY expensive to develop.  It involved them taking different parameters (skill, luck, rank, TruSkill, etc.).  They rewrote enough of the underlying game engine in ODST that they could not use the same matchmaking function as H3's without spending a significant amount of time and money to redo it to match players with other coop players. 

2: Do you really want the 12 year old, helium voiced, griefer coming in and ruining a game for you and 2 other people by  team killing you and telling you your testicle's are much smaller than his and that he had sexual relations with your mother?
    SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SUBL1ME

Yeah the lack of matchmaking in firefight was a horrible choice, only further compounded by the fact the vidmaster achievements are always 4 player live. Like seriously I'm the only one of my friends who has ODST and possibly the only one who will. Local co-op is all that being done on my ODST copy. Like seriously Bungie screw you guys for making things impossible because my friends don't like Halo and I do.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It's because they just wanted your money.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @SUBL1ME said:
    " Yeah the lack of matchmaking in firefight was a horrible choice, only further compounded by the fact the vidmaster achievements are always 4 player live. Like seriously I'm the only one of my friends who has ODST and possibly the only one who will. Local co-op is all that being done on my ODST copy. Like seriously Bungie screw you guys for making things impossible because my friends don't like Halo and I do. "
    So, because 3 of your friends don't have ODST, that makes the challenges impossible? Not quite.
    SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SUBL1ME
    @PISTOLcm said:
    " @SUBL1ME said:
    " Yeah the lack of matchmaking in firefight was a horrible choice, only further compounded by the fact the vidmaster achievements are always 4 player live. Like seriously I'm the only one of my friends who has ODST and possibly the only one who will. Local co-op is all that being done on my ODST copy. Like seriously Bungie screw you guys for making things impossible because my friends don't like Halo and I do. "
    So, because 3 of your friends don't have ODST, that makes the challenges impossible? Not quite. "
    Umm hmm yeah it kind of does smart ass. If Bungie requires four people to do a challenge and makes it so you can't search for people through a matchmaking service and none of my friends have ODST or have any intention of ever buying it I'm pretty much fucked now ain't I? I can't quite go in solo and hope for the best when the achievements all specify 4 player Live.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.