Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Uh-Oh this could be bad.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jeffsekai

Well me and my friends went to the midnight launch last night, I went to bed shortly after but they stayed up all night and played. Apparntly they beat the game in 4 hrs in 2 player co-op on normal. Also apparntly theres only 4 flashback missions. 

Without spoiling anything can anyone confirm this? 

also please don't turn this into some dumb anti halo thread.

EDIT  : So after getting home and playing longer I can now say this : There are 8 flashbacks. The campaign will take 6 hrs to beat by your self.

Also, even if 6 hrs seems low... me and my friends just played the same level in Fire Fight for  1 hr 11 mins and it was a blast. This is defiantly worth getting despite a short campaign.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

I hope the MP is worth it. 4 hours is atrociously short.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By grilledcheez
    @Akeldama said:
    " I hope the MP is worth it. 4 hours is atrociously short. "
    Yes I hope the same exact multiplayer from Halo 3 is worth it.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

After looking at the achievments it looks like there are 8 flash backs

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akeldama
    @GrilledCheez01 said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " I hope the MP is worth it. 4 hours is atrociously short. "
    Yes I hope the same exact multiplayer from Halo 3 is worth it. "
    im glad you said it, not me. This game is really only a feasible purchase if you dont already own  Halo 3
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Otacon

Hmm, 4 flashbacks seems a little low. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond

What I had heard is there's 4 flashbacks, but that's only half the campaign.

And I've heard time and time again the game takes 7-8 hours on your first playthrough, but it's possible to beat in considerably less time.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Diamond said:

" What I had heard is there's 4 flashbacks, but that's only half the campaign.  And I've heard time and time again the game takes 7-8 hours on your first playthrough, but it's possible to beat in considerably less time. "

where did ya hear that it was only "half"? like theirs 4 side ones that u can miss kinda thing? 

EDIT: oh do u mean the other half is running around the city?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    @Jeffsekai said:
    where did ya hear that it was only "half"? like theirs 4 side ones that u can miss kinda thing?   EDIT: oh do u mean the other half is running around the city?
    Many sources.  It sounds like at about the halfway point of the game you're just following a single character.
    Avatar image for gristlemcthornbody
    GristleMcThornbody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well no one who has played halo before should be playing on normal.  Normal is for absolute novices only, as bungie has stated.  Furthermore, if you're playing coop you should put the difficulty higher than you would normally if you dont want the campaign to be over really quickly, since not being able to die in coop makes any game a lot easier. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @GristleMcThornbody said:
    " Well no one who has played halo before should be playing on normal.  Normal is for absolute novices only as bungie stated.  Furthermore, if your playing coop you should put the difficulty higher than you would normally if you dont want the campaign to be over really quickly since not being able to die in coop makes any game a lot easier.  "
    Yea that's what I was saying to him once he beat it.
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By jNerd
    @Jeffsekai said:

"Well me and my friends went to the midnight launch last night, I went to bed shortly after but they stayed up all night and played. Apparntly they beat the game in 4 hrs in 2 player co-op on normal. Also apparntly theres only 4 flashback missions.   Without spoiling anything can anyone confirm this?   also please don't turn this into some dumb anti halo thread."

I'm @ school right now & I was up from 1am till 5:30am completing campaign on Co-Op.  
    It was fun but that story was discombobulated as fuck.
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By belaraphon

i am going through the campaign by myself an i feel it is going at the right pace. i just completed the second flash back and its taken me about three and a half hours. i am trying to make my way through each level by in no way am i racing to the end. 

still no audio tapes =/ i suck at finding stuff like that.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

Did anyone ever really go back to the Halo 3 campaign?  This short campaign and firefight mode are worth 60 bucks?  I think i will just go to wikipedia and read what happens.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Hamz
    @TheHBK said:
    " Did anyone ever really go back to the Halo 3 campaign?  This short campaign and firefight mode are worth 60 bucks?  I think i will just go to wikipedia and read what happens. "
    Why would you go to wikipedia when you have Giant Bomb? TRAITOR!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @Hamz said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    " Did anyone ever really go back to the Halo 3 campaign?  This short campaign and firefight mode are worth 60 bucks?  I think i will just go to wikipedia and read what happens. "
    Why would you go to wikipedia when you have Giant Bomb? TRAITOR! "
    THIS
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK
    @CL60 said:
    " @Hamz said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    THIS "
    Well someone update that shit right quick because i did check there first but there is nothing new, just stuff we already knew, i need someone to tell me how the game ends and if that chick ODST/secret agent is a lesbian.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gregomasta
    @TheHBK said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Hamz said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    THIS "
    Well someone update that shit right quick because i did check there first but there is nothing new, just stuff we already knew, i need someone to tell me how the game ends and if that chick ODST/secret agent is a lesbian. "
    YOU TELL EM HBK!
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By delta_ass

I would highly recommend that anyone starting up ODST try playing on Legendary. It's gonna take a lot longer to play through, and the challenge is nice. It actually feels like you're a regular infantry guy, instead of being a different looking Spartan.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

If it gets such high scores with such a short camaign, no new competitive MP, ANd the same graphics engine whilst being entirely full priced, surely that tells you something about the quality of what's actually there? damn royal mail. Stop striking and deliver me gamez

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gregomasta
    @crunchUK said:
    " If it gets such high scores with such a short camaign, no new competitive MP, ANd the same graphics engine whilst being entirely full priced, surely that tells you something about the quality of what's actually there? damn royal mail. Stop striking and deliver me gamez "
    or that tells you that jeffs all about the Benjamins(YEAH ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS, YEAH!)
    noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By noextralife

The games a decent length, just finished it on heroic in around 7 hours,  and thats without hunting down about half of the audio logs, considering i'll play it again on legendary with friends its not bad value.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Me and 2 other guys on legendary beat it 5-6 hours.

produceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By produceman

well to be fair halo 3 wasnt that long of a game but you could have a lot of fun in co-op and versus and i would speculate that theres one flashback per squad member so that might help in figuring that out
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Druminator

I don't see how such a short campaign, firefight (with NO matchmaking) and the same multiplayer from Halo 3 make this game worth a full purchase. I feel sorry for people who bought this game and don't have Live or any friends to play splitscreen. They forked out $60 for a campaign that's less than 8 hours... ouch.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#26  Edited By citizenkane

Normal is easy and I wouldn't doubt that it didn't take very long if they rushed through it.  Heroic and Legendary are the way to go.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Shadow

So those "first four missions" Jeff was talking about was really the entire game?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By oldschool

This is just an expansion pack, with a couple of extra bits and a full price.  Hardly worth the entry.  All hype and little substance it appears.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By noextralife
    @Shadow said:

" So those "first four missions" Jeff was talking about was really the entire game? "

No theres around 8 flash back missions and more after those, not to give anything away, like I said before my playthrough on heroic minus audio tape hunting was around the 7 hour mark, which is pretty much on par with most fps games, and if you've some buddies your sure to get more reply value from co-op and firefight, end of the day its a fine game if you enjoy the halo style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.