Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Halo ODST and the divine comedy

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Pie

(This post will have SPOILERS probably) I just read this really intriguing post on the bungie forums about halo ODST making references to Dantes Divine comedy (the poem about dante travelling through hell) most notably the fact that the audio logs come in "circles" with each seemingly referencing a circle of hell and the fact that the rookie is guided through new mombassa by the superintendent who is called vergil much like how dante is guided through hell by virgil.
    Discuss

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By crunchUK

Um wow?!?! Why is bungie so cryptic... I believe there are also a bazillion references in sandtrap to a book in the bible (i forget which)

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pie
    @crunchUK said:

" Um wow?!?! Why is bungie so cryptic... I believe there are also a bazillion references in sandtrap to a book in the bible (i forget which) "

All of there shizzle is pretty biblical like how he is john 117 is some reference to john 11:7 (I dont undertsand how  "Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea.""Has anything to do with halo but it will. Also the covenant is a reference to the ark of the covenant and bla bla bla
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

Damn Bungie and their references to classical literature!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pie

This atleast gives the medicore story a nice twist

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Pie said:
    " @crunchUK said:

" Um wow?!?! Why is bungie so cryptic... I believe there are also a bazillion references in sandtrap to a book in the bible (i forget which) "

All of there shizzle is pretty biblical like how he is john 117 is some reference to john 11:7 (I dont undertsand how  "Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea.""Has anything to do with halo but it will. Also the covenant is a reference to the ark of the covenant and bla bla bla "
    It's actually a reference to John 1:17 (For god so loved the world that he sent his only son blah blah). That makes more sense in the context of Master Chief as a savior type character.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7  Edited By delta_ass

Also, Master Chief was conceived through immaculate conception and worked as a carpenter.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @Pie said:
    " @crunchUK said:

All of there shizzle is pretty biblical like how he is john 117 is some reference to john 11:7 (I dont undertsand how  "Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea.""Has anything to do with halo but it will. Also the covenant is a reference to the ark of the covenant and bla bla bla "
    It's actually a reference to John 1:17 (For god so loved the world that he sent his only son blah blah). That makes more sense in the context of Master Chief as a savior type character. "
    Wait- so they are saying that chief is jesus?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @OmegaPirate: Yeah, kinda.
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Toxin066
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @Pie said:
    " @crunchUK said:

It's actually a reference to John 1:17 (For god so loved the world that he sent his only son blah blah). That makes more sense in the context of Master Chief as a savior type character. "
    "For God so loved the world that he sent His only son blah blah"  is John 3:16
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Toxin066 said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @Pie said:
    " @crunchUK said:

"For God so loved the world that he sent His only son blah blah"  is John 3:16 "
    Damn it. I knew I should have looked around my house for a bible.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pie
    @ArbitraryWater:@Toxin066:@OmegaPirate:   John 1:17: 
    For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

is truth spelled with a 7 in it in john 1:17 then?!?!?!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pie
    @crunchUK said:
    " is truth spelled with a 7 in it in john 1:17 then?!?!?! "
    What?
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By breadfan

Sgt. Johnson is clearly a metaphorical symbol for Jesus and the holy spirit.  Duh.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK
    @Pie said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " is truth spelled with a 7 in it in john 1:17 then?!?!?! "
    What? "
    tru7h?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Delta_Ass said:
    " Also, Master Chief was conceived through immaculate conception and worked as a carpenter. "
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ieatlions
    @lilarchie232 said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    " Also, Master Chief was conceived through immaculate conception and worked as a carpenter. "
    "
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Zereta

Bungie does this all the time. Its freaky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.