Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Full price?

• 56 results
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sushbag

Not buying it. 

An expansion? Worked on for 1/3 of the dev time that went into Halo 3? Same multiplayer? An expansion? Full price?

Not buying it.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

There's a certain joke that I really hope someone makes. 

Edit:  Also, thank you for giving me an excuse to use the ODST forums.  Still love this skin.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Sushbag said:
    " An expansion? Worked on for 1/3 of the dev time that went into Halo 3? Same multiplayer? An expansion? "
    Whut.
    ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ververdan0226

From what I understand, it's a fully featured side-story of a game that they mistakenly labeled as an expansion. It has a full campaign, that new Firefight mode and three new maps. Call me an asshole for saying this, but stop your bitching. In my opinion (though I don't own a 360) it appears to be a really solid product with enough content if you're a fan of the Halo games that you might see upon further examination. Please, come back to me and give me a reason why I'm wrong. You're simply letting the term expansion giving you a sense of the amount of content when I feel like you should look a little closer.

And I think it took a little more than a third of the dev time. 

P.S. GiantBomb should totally make me a salesperson for their ad campaign...

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

this is what i have been saying for months now.

blalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By blalala

Actually, in Europe the price is 49,99 euro, which is about 20 euro's lower then most other new games..

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Is it really full price in the US? Here in the UK it RRP's at £40, which is £10 less than the standard £50. 

Sure, most retailers will probably sell it for the full £40, and they generally sell full price games for £40 anyway, so many customers will probably not see any price difference, but people who shop around should be able to get a good deal.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Yes it is, and the special is 100 smackaroos. Not a big deal for me.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm sure Bungie are crying in their drinks because you won't be buying their game.

Think it's a very good deal, especially for those looking for a different sort of Halo orientated experience. Plus it's a good deal for those who don't have all the Halo 3 multiplayer maps. 

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Fosssil
    @ververdan0226 said:
    "And I think it took a little more than a third of the dev time. "
    No, he was right about that part. Halo 3 had a full 3-year dev cycle that began shortly after the completion of Halo 2, while ODST was created in about a year and has been ready to ship for a few months now.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Heck I didn't wanna buy the other map packs anymore because Bungie limited the playlists to probably 3 or 4 for the people who didn't buy em. Now everyone has equal opportunity after years.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Samaritan

The last estimate I heard clocked the campaign at around 5-7 hours, which is about where Halo 3's campaign was at. Firefight mode on top of the campaign, Halo 3's multiplayer with all of the maps + 3 additional maps. All of that sounds like a pretty well-rounded game to me.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ververdan0226
    @Fosssil said:
    " @ververdan0226 said:
    No, he was right about that part. Halo 3 had a full 3-year dev cycle that began shortly after the completion of Halo 2, while ODST was created in about a year and has been ready to ship for a few months now. "
    Well, you're probably right then, though I guess we'll soon know if the value equals 60 dollars, which it definitely sounds like it is, who knows.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf

If you haven't bought the map packs for Halo 3 then it is definitely worth the full price. If you have already bought the maps (like me) you are getting screwed over slightly. I like the experience that Halo offers that I honestly don't care and think that the ODST campaign and Firefight are worth the full price anyways.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @Fosssil said:
    " @ververdan0226 said:
    No, he was right about that part. Halo 3 had a full 3-year dev cycle that began shortly after the completion of Halo 2, while ODST was created in about a year and has been ready to ship for a few months now. "
    Well they did have to create the entire Halo 3 engine and multiplayer system for Halo 3.  In ODST they just had to create new maps & a few gameplay changes
    Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MattyFTM said:

" Is it really full price in the US? Here in the UK it RRP's at £40, which is £10 less than the standard £50.   Sure, most retailers will probably sell it for the full £40, and they generally sell full price games for £40 anyway, so many customers will probably not see any price difference, but people who shop around should be able to get a good deal. "

I have never payed 50 for a game.
    It is 30 pound on ShopTo 
    http://www.shopto.net/XBOX%20360/GAMES/XB2HA15-Halo%203%3A%20ODST%20Including%20Halo%20Reach%20BETA%20Key%20%2B%20Free%20Sgt.%20Johnson%20Character%20Unlock%20Code.html
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @p4ddym1607 said:
    "I have never payed 50 for a game. "
    Neither have I. I can't even recall seeing a game priced at £50, but that is the standard RRP for games, retailers just generally sell them for less than the RRP.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It's actually a much better game and package than Halo 3 from what I have seen. 

iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By iiNF3RNo
    @Sushbag: well there is a full length campaign, firefight mode, all of halo 3's MP maps plus 3 new ones. sounds like more than ur typical 3 hour expansion pack
    Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MattyFTM said:
    " @p4ddym1607 said:
    "I have never payed 50 for a game. "
    Neither have I. I can't even recall seeing a game priced at £50, but that is the standard RRP for games, retailers just generally sell them for less than the RRP. "
    That is true. Amazon always says you are saving a pile of money buying from them but no one sells for RRP.
    40 is the absolute most I would ever pay for a game anyway.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fosssil
    @Diamond said:
    " @Fosssil said:
    " @ververdan0226 said:
    Well they did have to create the entire Halo 3 engine and multiplayer system for Halo 3.  In ODST they just had to create new maps & a few gameplay changes "
    Right. I was just pointing out to ververdan that the OP was correct in saying that the game had a dev time that was 1/3 that of Halo 3. I don't think that having a shorter dev time should be used as an argument against its value, though, as the game looks great to me.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By agentboolen

I thought Bungie were tired of making Halo games.  Sounds like Microsoft still has them on a leash   =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@agentboolen said:
    " I thought Bungie were tired of making Halo games.  Sounds like Microsoft still has them on a leash   =) "
    They're making Halo games because the team that they worked with since Halo1 will be gone, working with 343 Productions or other Halo projects. They don't want to see their best buds begone. Don't underestimate the family that is of dev teams.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Seedofpower

Who cares if you're not going to buy it. I am and I'm going to enjoy it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crunchUK
    @Fosssil said:
    " @ververdan0226 said:
    But wasn't that because they didn't create a whole new graphics engine? I know they said something in some vidoc or other about knowing what works and what doesn't performance-wise so they were able to go a lot faster. Either way, people will be paying full price for modern warfare 2... and last time i looked it's not like they've changed much... or indeed anything at all.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brendan

I love how behind in news the OP is, he stil calls it Recon, back when it actually WAS just an expansion.  It changed and became full-fledged game a while ago.  The posters talking about Halo 3 taking longer to build the engine ae completely correct as well.  This game used the Halo 3 engine, of course it's going to take way less time to develop

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kermoosh

i would get it if it was cheaper and without the multiplayer disc 
    everybody who's going to get this already has halo 3 with its 2-year old multiplayer 
    and i dont see a point of having it on a separate disc, when i could use the same amount of time to switch to my halo 3 

i would get it for $40 max with just the campaign, firefight, and only the 3 new maps. because its the same engine, enemies and weapons with little design involved (only parts of the environments were made)

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fosssil
    @crunchUK said:
    " @Fosssil said:
    " @ververdan0226 said:
    But wasn't that because they didn't create a whole new graphics engine? I know they said something in some vidoc or other about knowing what works and what doesn't performance-wise so they were able to go a lot faster. Either way, people will be paying full price for modern warfare 2... and last time i looked it's not like they've changed much... or indeed anything at all. "
    Right, that's what Diamond and I were discussing earlier in the thread. The only new tech that they added (that I've heard of) is the AI behavior/pathfinding stuff that controls the Covenant enemies in the main hub city. Still, I don't think that the shorter dev cycle will in any way detract from the quality of the game, as the OP seems to be implying. If anything, it just proves what an excellent developer Bungie is if they can take a small team and crank out a high-quality game like ODST in such a short time.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Kyle

ODST has more new content than a lot of sequels do. It's not that ODST isn't worth $60, it's just that you're comparing it to Halo 3 which was worth much more than $60.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By JoelTGM

I don't like how it doesn't continue master chief's story at all, so it's just some halo game that doesn't do anything new and doesn't need to exist.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kyle

I dont know, I kinda like that they're taking a break from Master Chief for a while. Maybe just cause I liked how Halo 3 ended.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sushbag
    @Brendan said:
    "It changed and became full-fledged game a while ago. "
    Really? Is that why it's called Halo 3: ODST? Is that why the multiplayer is recycled (except for the new mode, which I won't be paying full price for)? Is that why it's the same enemies? No interesting characters? Sounds like an expansion to me.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @TrueEnglishGent said:
    " I'm sure Bungie are crying in their drinks because you won't be buying their game. Think it's a very good deal, especially for those looking for a different sort of Halo orientated experience. Plus it's a good deal for those who don't have all the Halo 3 multiplayer maps.  "
    Says you.
    JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By JamesF

Yeah, seriously. Dumb idea for a game.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

HALO ODST, minus all the little whiners who say they won't buy the game=Bungie laughing, all the way to the bank!
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DrLove
    @Kyle said:
    " ODST has more new content than a lot of sequels do. It's not that ODST isn't worth $60, it's just that you're comparing it to Halo 3 which was worth much more than $60. "
    If Gears 2 had a 6 hour campaign, horde mode, and all the mutiplayer  from Gears 1.   Would you think its worth it?  
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#37  Edited By citizenkane

It's definitely worth it for us Halo junkies.  Even those who are not Halo fanboys, it has 7-10hrs of campaign with a new multiplayer mode and the extra MP packs from Halo 3.  That's more than what a lot of games give you.
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrLove
    @kermoosh said:
    " i would get it if it was cheaper and without the multiplayer disc everybody who's going to get this already has halo 3 with its 2-year old multiplayer and i dont see a point of having it on a separate disc, when i could use the same amount of time to switch to my halo 3  i would get it for $40 max with just the campaign, firefight, and only the 3 new maps. because its the same engine, enemies and weapons with little design involved (only parts of the environments were made) "
    i would do that in a second, i think thats more then fair.
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DrLove
    @CitizenKane said:
    "
    It's definitely worth it for us Halo junkies.  Even those who are not Halo fanboys, it has 7-10hrs of campaign with a new multiplayer mode and the extra MP packs from Halo 3.  That's more than what a lot of games give you. "
    but you dont buy those games that give you the same amount do you? this should have been downloadable like Lost and the Dammed or Gay Tony.  Or even sell the campaign and firefighter for like $40.   

Like name a game that actually re-sells the same mutiplayer thats 2 years old.. or re-sells a game thats 2 years old.. only thing i can think of is something like the Orange Box but that was a great deal.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By grilledcheez
    @CitizenKane said:
    "
    It's definitely worth it for us Halo junkies.  Even those who are not Halo fanboys, it has 7-10hrs of campaign with a new multiplayer mode and the extra MP packs from Halo 3.  That's more than what a lot of games give you. "
    Well most people are burnt out on Halo's multiplayer and continual release of shitty maps, so you're really paying for a campaign that uses all the same resources from Halo 3....except they're marketing it as a new game and charging full price for it.
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DrLove

and im not mad cause i think the game sucks or any of that fanboy shit, im mad cause i want the game but its overpriced.   

No other game franchise could get away with doing what halo is doing.  If Call of Duty, or Rainbow Six, GTA, hell even team fortress 2 did this the internet would explode.  People were freaking out because there is a new LEft for Dead coming out.  

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Full price?

fuck no.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By TheHBK
    @ververdan0226: 
    your wrong and thats all there is to it.
    Now if we can have a real discussion.  This is definitely not worth the price of admission and Jeff says as much in his review.  They just include a separate disc that has the halo 3 multiplayer on it.  the campaign will only last 5 hours and the firefight mode is not as compelling as the horde mode in Gears.  Sounds like a rip off to me in terms of full fledged games.  At 40 bucks it is more reasonable for a new release.
    Imagine if they release gears of war 2.5, for 60 bucks where they added just a few hours to the campaign, and said here is a horde mode, but go back and play the original multiplayer. Doesnt sound too good.  The firefight mode was not exactly a ground breaking thought from bungie either.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RsistncE

It's worth the 60 (70 in Canada) if you haven't bought Halo 3 and all it's map packs. Otherwise it's a waste of money and a rip off. Considering most people who want or are interested in ODST are existing Halo fans it's pretty obvious that Bungie realized the potential for profit here and put that in front of treating it's customer base nicely. Oh well, not like I'm buying this pig shit.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kyle
    @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    " ODST has more new content than a lot of sequels do. It's not that ODST isn't worth $60, it's just that you're comparing it to Halo 3 which was worth much more than $60. "
    If Gears 2 had a 6 hour campaign, horde mode, and all the mutiplayer  from Gears 1.   Would you think its worth it?   "
    What are you talking about? That IS what Gears 2 had.
    ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ascholzk

since im not that big of a multiplayer gamer, the 5 hour campaign isnt enough for me to buy it, though im going to rent it sometime

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DrLove
    @Kyle said:
    " @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    If Gears 2 had a 6 hour campaign, horde mode, and all the mutiplayer  from Gears 1.   Would you think its worth it?   "
    What are you talking about? That IS what Gears 2 had. "
    ok... " If Gears 2 had a 6 hour campaign, horde mode, and all the mutiplayer  from Gears 1 with only 3 new maps.   Would you think its worth it? 
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By asurastrike
    @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    " @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    ok... " If Gears 2 had a 6 hour campaign, horde mode, and all the mutiplayer  from Gears 1 with only 3 new maps.   Would you think its worth it?  "
    I bought Gears 2, and I don't think it was worth it. : /
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DrLove
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    " @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    ok... " If Gears 2 had a 6 hour campaign, horde mode, and all the mutiplayer  from Gears 1 with only 3 new maps.   Would you think its worth it?  "
    I bought Gears 2, and I don't think it was worth it. : / "
    so im guessing you wont be getting odst until i drops in price ?
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By asurastrike
    @DrLove said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    " @DrLove said:
    " @Kyle said:
    I bought Gears 2, and I don't think it was worth it. : / "
    so im guessing you wont be getting odst until i drops in price ? "
    I won't be getting ODST. I don't really like Halo games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.