Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Anyone else still on the fence?

• 51 results
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By C0V3RT

Anyone else still on the fence about picking up ODST?  I've read all the reviews, watched all the videos, read all the wiki entries and am still on the fence on picking up the game. 

I feel as if I've outgrown "Halo" as a gamer and am still lukewarm to the franchise as a whole.  Accoding to my gamertag - the last time I played Halo 3 was 4/11/08.   I only play online with friends so while fire fight sounds cool - its not a selling point to me. 

Any last minute words of wisdom?
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

I am picking it up in a little over 6 hours!  ^__^
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

I keep having these short moments of "Maybe I'll get it"? and the majority of moments are "No, don't do it Nate. Remember how frustrated you got with Halo 3."

Meh, who knows. I bet my brother will head out and buy it, and I'll probably pick up a copy so I can play with him.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

I'm in the same position, but I am going to wait and make sure enough of my friends buy the game before I actually do so, since I only really play Halo when I am with friends as well.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ververdan0226

I don't own a 360, but Firefight sounds damn fun.... that sounds like it might be worth the price alone, though maybe not for some people, what do I know. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

My copy should be through the door in a little over nine hours. These may not be words of wisdom, but hey, I'm excited!

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'm still on the fence, the tough part about it is that the price (with either amazon preorder bonus or toys r us gift card bonus) is about as good as it's going to get for at least a year.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Toxin066

Words of wisdom?  If it lasts longer than four hours call a doctor.

Advice: Find a friend who has got it and play through the game locally? Buy a used version a year later when it's on the cheaps?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm very VERY on the fence.  Halo 3 was a fun co-op experience and addicting multiplayer game, but I HATED playing the campaign by myself.  The characters were uninteresting and the story was nearly incomprehensible, even though I'd spent weeks prior to the game's release reading up on the Halo fiction. 
    This game seems like it really has a far more interesting story, and the changes in gameplay (however small) seem interesting, not to mention I haven't any of the Halo 3 map packs, so it would give me an excuse to jump back into it.  My main concerns lie in the short length of the campaign and the footage I've seen shows many of the gameplay problems I held with Halo 3.
    The real deciding factor is my quickly diminishing funds with Brutal Legend coming in less than a month and Modern Warfare 2 coming a month after that.  I'm strapped for cash!
    teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By teptom

I was on the fence too, until I realized my friends are buying it. We had a lot of fun with Halo 3, so I'll probably get it soon.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK
    @natetodamax said:
    " I keep having these short moments of "Maybe I'll get it"? and the majority of moments are "No, don't do it Nate. Remember how frustrated you got with Halo 3."   "
    You keep getting pwnz0red?
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " I keep having these short moments of "Maybe I'll get it"? and the majority of moments are "No, don't do it Nate. Remember how frustrated you got with Halo 3."   "
    You keep getting pwnz0red? "
    If you consider "pwnz0red" to be shooting somebody in the face with the battle rifle 9 times and having him punch you once, killing you.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By JJOR64

I was on the fence then, I decided at the last minute to pick it up.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MKHavoc

I'm not really a big Halo fan, but after reading some reviews it seems as though the game is worth at least a rental because  Halo's multiplayer has never been able to hold my interest for too long.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

Not really a Halo fan myself but I want to give this a shot since it doesn't have MasterChief in it. Not that I hate him or anything. Just a little sick of him.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zombie2011
    @natetodamax said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    If you consider "pwnz0red" to be shooting somebody in the face with the battle rifle 9 times and having him punch you once, killing you. "
    Last time i checked it only took 4 BR shots to the head to kill someone so you must be doing something wrong.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zereta

I think while most of these roots came from Doom anywhere, Halo still has a special place in my heart for bringing all these into the modern era of consoles and making a damn good first impression, while subsequently making good games. It without Halo, I feel, that games like Call of Duty would be radically different or might not even exist. 

I probably can never outgrow Halo because its a franchise that pretty much got me way more serious into gaming, a franchise I'm already so invested in. And why would I skip on it and pass on a damn fine game? It'll be a good time all around.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai

I'm on the other side of the fence so far in fact I'm having a Dos Equis with Master Chief himself, I love the Halo series a lot and can't wait till 12am gets here so i can goto EB games.

The thing is, the only reason why i feel this strongly about Halo is because I've gone out of my way to learn everything about it, wheather that means the books or the wikis Im invested enough into the story of the universe of Halo where I can never not buy a Halo game, if you really wanna push you're self into loving Halo again I recommend reading the books and reaching the lore and not just taking the games at face value. Theirs a lot more to Halo than just generic space marine killing aliens.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By turbomonkey138

I'm not only over the fence but building a house on the good side and settling down for a long time

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zombie2011
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " I'm not only over the fence but building a house on the good side and settling down for a long time "
    Oh man! you need a roommate? that sounds like a place i would wanna live. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on the fence for a long time. I felt I was really, truly over the Halo franchise. And I've even expressed some disillusionment with this game's structure (no playlist for Firefight? WTF Bungie?), but after watching the reviews and seeing some gameplay footage and thinking about this purchase . . .   

I'm pretty sure I'll buy it. The quality of the Halo games is nigh-undeniable. I've always loved the action, the AI, and the fact that this Halo, moreso than the past iterations, plays more closely to the original Combat Evolved--all of that pretty much sold me.  

vexx919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vexx919

even reading the reviews im not convinced, it seems kind of short 
    how long was halo 3 again?

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ascholzk

the only reason im not getting it is because i didnt really like halo 3 very much, and it seemed they put the multiplayer on the other disk for an easy cash in, 
    thats of course my opinion :]

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zombie2011
    @vexx919: I'd say 8-10 hours maybe. 

I'm not sure though because it took me like 20+ hours to beat the campaign. I'd pretty much replay all the really fun levels over and over again once i beat them until i felt it was time to move on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vexx919 said:
    "even reading the reviews im not convinced, it seems kind of short  how long was halo 3 again? "
    Eh, eight, maybe nine hours? But I've always found the Halo campaigns lend themselves pretty well to multiple playthroughs. 

Multiplayer's where it's at, though. This comes bundled with all the bells and whistles of Halo 3, plus Firefight, which I'm sure is going to be pretty awesome if you can round up some friends (or willing Giant Bombers) to tackle the Covenant with you.  
    vexx919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vexx919
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @vexx919: I'd say 8-10 hours maybe.  I'm not sure though because it took me like 20+ hours to beat the campaign. I'd pretty much replay all the really fun levels over and over again once i beat them until i felt it was time to move on. "
    still why would i spend 50-60 dollars on a game less then that when stuff like borderlands comes out later this year

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vexx919 said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @vexx919: I'd say 8-10 hours maybe.  I'm not sure though because it took me like 20+ hours to beat the campaign. I'd pretty much replay all the really fun levels over and over again once i beat them until i felt it was time to move on. "
    still why would i spend 50-60 dollars on a game less then that when stuff like borderlands comes out later this year "
    Yeah, I mean, I think it's one of those things you should base on instinct. If Bungie's Halo games (as opposed to Halo Wars) are slam dunks for you, then ODST is probably a good purchase. If you're sort of half and half on the series, then it might be a good idea to rent/Gamefly it for a bit. Farm some achievements.  

And, obviously, if you hate Halo, then, well . . . you know.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Otacon

It's in the maybe pile with AC2 for me, I kind of find it sad that I'm not leaping with excitement as I loved the first 2 on the Xbox, or filled with envy as I was when Halo 3 came out and I was constantly asking friends if I could play through it with them (I now own a 360 as of late last year). I know I'll buy it eventually I just kind of want my chief back...

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zombie2011
    @vexx919 said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    still why would i spend 50-60 dollars on a game less then that when stuff like borderlands comes out later this year "
    I don't know its your choice. I have no interest in Borderlands its not about the length of the game for me, i know im gonna have fun with ODST the campaign, firefight, and seeing i didn't download the last 2 map packs i will be spending a lot of time playing the Multiplayer as well. 

ODST will hold me over until Forza 3 and thats about all the games i will be buying this year. I may pick up Brutal Legend after reading the reviews.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Diamond

I was actually on the fence until I heard the 2nd disk would have all the Halo 3 maps, which was a while ago now.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By C0V3RT

Glad to know I'm not alone.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Karmum

I'm far from the fence, on the side that isn't buying the game.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stang

What is there to be on the fence about? It is Halo.

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bulletstorm

I honestly don't understand what exactly I'd be buying.  Why are there two discs? Is the first disc just Campaign and  Firefight? Can I play the second disc or does the second disc just download maps to my hardrive or is it Halo 3 Multiplayer on a disc?  

Also, 60 bucks? Half the package I already own don't I? IDK man. Doesn't sound cool to me; and here's the big problem. 

For once, I really, really don't trust Jeff's opinion. I feel like ODST is more outdated and dry and boring than he wants to let on because of all of these ODST ads all over the place. Maybe Jeff is right but... idk... 4/5 for a 60 dollar gamemode and a campaign which really just looks like more of the same; except they pre-built a few skulls into the Campaign by making you an ODST.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By C0V3RT
    @Stang said:
    "What is there to be on the fence about? It is Halo. "

To me - simply being Halo doesn't equal an automatic buy.  My Halo evolution looks something like this:

Halo: CE - Reason I bought my original Xbox.  Lots of fun LAN parties with friends and hooking my Xbox up to the LAN in my dorm room at college and playing random dudes. 

Halo 2 - Everyones first but huzzah into online Halo.   Arguably set the standard online FPS games as we know it today.

Halo 3 - Halo went uber mainstream and really wore me out.  I had Master Chief on my BK cup, Halo 3 commericals on every other channel, Halo being covered on news programs that shouldn't have been covering video games.  

Somewhere between Halo 2 and 3 I moved past Halo.  Maybe it's because my job allowed me more disposable income to dump into games, hince opening my eyes to other games.  Maybe I just got FPS'ed-out.  Either way, ODST (which I see as Halo 3.5) is not an automatic buy simply because "it is Halo."   

Also to clarify - Im by no means a Halo hater - Modern Warfare is also not an automatic buy for me.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Jeust

I'll probably get it, when the price drops, since i'm not a very big multiplayer fan.  But the game seems really interesting. 

And i don't even like much the master chief.

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

for me its simple.  i really want it.  it looks fantastic.  but does not warrant $60 price tag due to the short campaign and only 3 new maps i think. will probably borrow it from my friends at some point

chinakat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By chinakat
    @natetodamax said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    If you consider "pwnz0red" to be shooting somebody in the face with the battle rifle 9 times and having him punch you once, killing you. "

I hate it when that happens. Halo 3 was so flawed compared to other shooters
    produceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By produceman

im still very much on the fence.....i like the idea of going around the city as the rookie i also like the fact that your arent a spartan but the flashback gameplay that i have seen hasnt impressed me and i wish they would take the fact that your a regulear human a little bit farther and change the gameplay and make it feel less like old halo games if i do get it it'll be because of the second disc

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By AndrewB

I actually read something just now that made me really go "huh." When you compare ODST, which is, for all intents and purposes, a short single player expansion pack to Halo 3 with a few more multiplayer maps, with the likes of GTA: Lost and the Damned, it really makes me laugh to think of what Bungie is getting away with using the leverage of the Halo name.

Lost and the Damned is also a short-ish expansion pack to its daddy game, GTA IV, and while it is really high quality, it totally doesn't warrant a retail disc, especially not a full-priced one, and even Rockstar knows it. Yet ODST makes me wonder if that's true... I mean, the GTA name is just as big, if not bigger than, the likes of Halo. ODST seems to be getting away with it, so why not Rockstar?

I feel like people are being fooled by the ODST's multiplayer disc. All of that content could be just as easily downloaded off of Xbox Live with a minimal hit to your disc space. In fact, if you're the type of Halo fan looking at ODST, chances are you already have all that content, anyway. It *might* be worth it if you completely ignored Halo 3 and own none of that content, but what are the chances of that if you're a Halo fan, and how many new people do you think ODST is really going to draw in? My guess is a pretty minimal number. It'll definitely be enough of a push for people who have given up on Halo multiplayer to revisit it for awhile,  but new people? They'd be better served buying Halo 3 and some of the map packs that interest them.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crunchUK
    @natetodamax said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    Yeah that's pretty pwnz0red... It's called leading shots nub. 
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Bouke
    @C0V3RT:
    I have the same thing, i've read the reviews watched the videos but still am not confinced to go and buy the game. Although Firefight with friends sounds like fun.. i'm just not sure i'm going to like the game all that much. It looks like more of the same, and i've stopped playing Halo 3, fast...
    Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ugalde

I was never on the fence but I was deffinetly thinking the game was going to dissapoint. But I was hella wrong.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Floppypants

I'm getting it.  I'm not happy what I'm paying to get it, but I'm getting it.  Bungie is not fostering good will with its fans putting ODST at a $60 price point.

EpochError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By EpochError

I have never played a Halo game and I'm thinking about getting this. I never owned the original Xbox and Halo 3 had just come out when i got my 360. I wasn't really interested in it at that time though. 

Toys R Us has a deal where you buy ODST and get a $20 gift card, essentially making the cost of the game 40 bucks. It would cost me over $40 to buy Halo 3 and download the map packs that already come with ODST so it seems to make sense for me to get it.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @zombie2011: move on in buddy
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By natetodamax
    @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    Yeah that's pretty pwnz0red... It's called leading shots nub.  "
    Whatever you say, Halo God.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Andorski

As a person who isn't really into Halo (beat CE, went halfway through 2, did co-op once with 3), I was wondering whether to try out ODST.  All the stealth stuff at night seems kinda iffy to me, and the fact that you still have to run and gun with these weaker soldiers (as oppose to what every other military game has you do -- hunker down and take cover) didn't really entice me.  I might go rent the game after this Fall's releases, but if the first half of 2010 is as good as it is building up to be (God of War 3, Mass Effect 2, etc.)... I might just skip it all together.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gargantuan

I'll wait for a 50% or more price drop.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By crunchUK
    @natetodamax said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    Yeah that's pretty pwnz0red... It's called leading shots nub.  "
    Whatever you say, Halo God. "
    Whatever i say indeed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.