Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero World Tour

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 26, 2008

The fourth game in the Guitar Hero series adds drums and vocals to the mix, along with a music studio that you can use to create new tracks and share them online.

Thoughts on Guitar Hero: World Tour

austinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By austinj

Finally finished the expert guitar mode on GH:WT just moments ago, and frankly, I'm happy to be done with it. In the day of Rock Band, I don't think Guitar Hero holds up very well (although, I hear that GH: Metallica is pretty good; I'll pick it up when it drops in price). It has such an arcade look and feel to it. It sounds really hype-driven, but Rock Band IS an excellent platform; whereas the Guitar Hero games feel like separate entities.

All-in-all, I didn't find the song list to be that great, with the exception of a few, most notably Van Halen's Hot for Teacher and a handful of songs that were already on Rock Band 2 (and I know I'm late to the GH:WT party, but RB2 came out a month before GH:WT anyway), which makes GH feel like a re-hashing of many of the tracks.

A few thoughts:

• The TOOL setlist is boring as hell to play, and not much better to look at. Why people wanted these songs is kind of ridiculous to me. They don't fit in with the rest of the game at all.
    • Having celebrities in the game is kind of neat, but winds up feeling slimey towards the end. Seeing Ozzy sing in a Rise Against- like voice is bizarre, and there is no way in hell that Sting would EVER rock out to a Bullet for My Valentine song. It's a cool effect when the celebrities are playing their own stuff, but using them as a cover band just feels plain wrong.
    • I heard things about how awesome the user-created stuff was, but sadly (with the exception of the guitar creator, which rules) none of it is very good at all. Building your own character is okay, but there really aren't enough clothing options. I know that I might be spoiled by Rock Band, but come on, how hard is it to design a few clothing options? And the music creator - awful, and absolutely no fun. Not intuitive at all. Also, the majority of user-created songs are abominations.
    • Not allowing users to import songs from previous games really makes the song selection seem quite small in comparision to Rock Band.

To wrap it up, I'm glad that I paid less than $30 for the game, because I don't see me ever picking this game up again, as Rock Band 2 is an all-around more satisfying experience. Harmonix seems to get what Activision doesn't: these games should revolve around the music and not necessarily the style. Playing as Zack Wylde is cool, but I would gladly trade that experience for a pleathera of songs that I actually want to play.
    austinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By austinj

Finally finished the expert guitar mode on GH:WT just moments ago, and frankly, I'm happy to be done with it. In the day of Rock Band, I don't think Guitar Hero holds up very well (although, I hear that GH: Metallica is pretty good; I'll pick it up when it drops in price). It has such an arcade look and feel to it. It sounds really hype-driven, but Rock Band IS an excellent platform; whereas the Guitar Hero games feel like separate entities.

All-in-all, I didn't find the song list to be that great, with the exception of a few, most notably Van Halen's Hot for Teacher and a handful of songs that were already on Rock Band 2 (and I know I'm late to the GH:WT party, but RB2 came out a month before GH:WT anyway), which makes GH feel like a re-hashing of many of the tracks.

A few thoughts:

• The TOOL setlist is boring as hell to play, and not much better to look at. Why people wanted these songs is kind of ridiculous to me. They don't fit in with the rest of the game at all.
    • Having celebrities in the game is kind of neat, but winds up feeling slimey towards the end. Seeing Ozzy sing in a Rise Against- like voice is bizarre, and there is no way in hell that Sting would EVER rock out to a Bullet for My Valentine song. It's a cool effect when the celebrities are playing their own stuff, but using them as a cover band just feels plain wrong.
    • I heard things about how awesome the user-created stuff was, but sadly (with the exception of the guitar creator, which rules) none of it is very good at all. Building your own character is okay, but there really aren't enough clothing options. I know that I might be spoiled by Rock Band, but come on, how hard is it to design a few clothing options? And the music creator - awful, and absolutely no fun. Not intuitive at all. Also, the majority of user-created songs are abominations.
    • Not allowing users to import songs from previous games really makes the song selection seem quite small in comparision to Rock Band.

To wrap it up, I'm glad that I paid less than $30 for the game, because I don't see me ever picking this game up again, as Rock Band 2 is an all-around more satisfying experience. Harmonix seems to get what Activision doesn't: these games should revolve around the music and not necessarily the style. Playing as Zack Wylde is cool, but I would gladly trade that experience for a pleathera of songs that I actually want to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.