Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GameCube

Platform »

The Nintendo GameCube is a sixth generation video game console released by Nintendo on September 15, 2001 in Japan, November 18, 2001 in North America, May 3, 2002 in Europe, and May 17, 2002 in Australia.

QoTW #5 - What's the best console to ever exist?

Falerix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Falerix

Since my youth I have taken part in video games of the console variety.
    You name it, I've played it. Genesis, SNES, I even had a Fairchild locked up in my closet somewhere. As humans moved onto rounded controllers and shapely graphics, I began to appreciate the legacy of consoles more and more. My N64 was my best friend, and almost every night would be a Super Smash Tournament and Star Fox rounds at my house. 

But what I'm here to talk about is the Gamecube, released in 2001. It featured 12 launch games and was Nintendo's third-party whore.

First, the graphics. While I admit that both the Xbox and the PS2 had superior graphics during this generation, the Gamecube made up for it by being itself. Whe nI say that, I mean that the games is displayed showed such a defining change that for Nintendo fans like me, it was Christmas early.

The controller, a wing-shaped gold-send that could easily fit into one or two hands. This has to be the best controller on the market by far. Xbox controllers were made for giants and PS2 controllers had wonky triggers. The GC controller fit beautifully into your hand and was incredibly easy to use.

The games. Oh, my love. SSB Melee, Mario Kart, Dragonball, Need for Speed, Pikmin, Star Fox, Mario Sunshine, Sonic, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, NFS, I can go on and on. The GC boasts over 600 games and they were some of the finest on the market.

Simply put, the Gamecube was the love of my life for a number of years. When teh Wii was released with backwards-compatibility, and GC controller slots, I was in lovve all over again.    

Falerix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Falerix

Since my youth I have taken part in video games of the console variety.
    You name it, I've played it. Genesis, SNES, I even had a Fairchild locked up in my closet somewhere. As humans moved onto rounded controllers and shapely graphics, I began to appreciate the legacy of consoles more and more. My N64 was my best friend, and almost every night would be a Super Smash Tournament and Star Fox rounds at my house. 

But what I'm here to talk about is the Gamecube, released in 2001. It featured 12 launch games and was Nintendo's third-party whore.

First, the graphics. While I admit that both the Xbox and the PS2 had superior graphics during this generation, the Gamecube made up for it by being itself. Whe nI say that, I mean that the games is displayed showed such a defining change that for Nintendo fans like me, it was Christmas early.

The controller, a wing-shaped gold-send that could easily fit into one or two hands. This has to be the best controller on the market by far. Xbox controllers were made for giants and PS2 controllers had wonky triggers. The GC controller fit beautifully into your hand and was incredibly easy to use.

The games. Oh, my love. SSB Melee, Mario Kart, Dragonball, Need for Speed, Pikmin, Star Fox, Mario Sunshine, Sonic, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, NFS, I can go on and on. The GC boasts over 600 games and they were some of the finest on the market.

Simply put, the Gamecube was the love of my life for a number of years. When teh Wii was released with backwards-compatibility, and GC controller slots, I was in lovve all over again.    

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nail1080
    @Falerix said:
    . Oh, my love. SSB Melee, Mario Kart, Dragonball, Need for Speed, Pikmin, Star Fox, Mario Sunshine, Sonic, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, NFS,
    Joke topic? :S
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

My N64 is my favorite console I've ever owned, but I've played a gamecube like twice.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @Falerix: I do agree that the Gamecube was underrated, but I don't think it's among the best to ever exist.   In fact, it's almost certainly not as great as its underpowered brother, the PS2  (which you incorrectly labeled as more powerful than the cube. Compare versions of RE4 and you'll understand)
    @nail1080
    said:
    " @Falerix said:
    . Oh, my love. SSB Melee, Mario Kart, Dragonball, Need for Speed, Pikmin, Star Fox, Mario Sunshine, Sonic, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, NFS,
    Joke topic? :S "
    You forgot to point out Dragonball. Could we put a REAL fighting game on there? Like Soul Calibur 2? Or Naruto? :P
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nail1080
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Falerix: I do agree that the Gamecube was underrated, but I don't think it's among the best to ever exist.   In fact, it's almost certainly not as great as its underpowered brother, the PS2  (which you incorrectly labeled as more powerful than the cube. Compare versions of RE4 and you'll understand)
    @nail1080
    said:
    " @Falerix said:
    You forgot to point out Dragonball.
    I didn't want some fanboy to scream at me :p
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @nail1080 said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Falerix: I do agree that the Gamecube was underrated, but I don't think it's among the best to ever exist.   In fact, it's almost certainly not as great as its underpowered brother, the PS2  (which you incorrectly labeled as more powerful than the cube. Compare versions of RE4 and you'll understand)
    @nail1080
    said:
    " @Falerix said:
    You forgot to point out Dragonball.
    I didn't want some fanboy to scream at me :p "
    You better hope those nfstards don't find you :P
    Thrae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thrae

As much as I love the Gamecube and still get a surprising amount of use out of it; I definitely don't think it's the best console ever. My personal favorite console still has to be the N64. If I could plug a GC controller right into an N64 I think I could live without online lol. Worst part of going back and playing the N64 now is definitely that controller, it absolutely kills my thumbs. Not to mention the analog nub barely works anymore. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.