Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

Anyone have the Mad Catz Arcade Gamestick?(re: Atari 2600 paddle)

TheTramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheTramp

I tried a demo of Kaboom!, because it's one of the greatest games of all time.  Not so much without the Atari 2600 paddle, though.  Then I remembered, the Mad Catz Arcade Gamestick has a spinner on it.  Does anybody have one of these controllers still and have they tried it on the 2600 Paddle-controlled games?  If so, what's the verdict?

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By IkariNoTekken
    @TheTramp:  
    Do you mean this? 

If so, I do have one somewhere. I got one free with a magazine subscription years ago. I'm pretty busy this week but if I get the chance, I'll look for it and try it out with some demos, including Kaboom! (which I haven't played in years)
    TheTramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheTramp

Yes, that's it exactly. Please let me know how it works out.  If it's an authentic Kaboom! experience I know what my next hardware purchase is going to be after the RB3 keyboards!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By buzz_clik

Yeah, I've always wondered about that product, too. I've looked up some stuff on it, and the reviews I saw of it were pretty lukewarm. I didn't delve too deep, though, looking up only a handful of not-very-well-known sources. Plus it seems like the kind of item I'd buy, even if I knew it was only of average quality; sometimes I just get a bee in my bonnet with such things.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CoverlessTech

Garbage. The only thing that controller is good for is taking apart and salvaging the PCB for a custom joystick.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By KingPossum

TheTramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheTramp

One thing I've been trying to keep in mind is that all the reviews predate Game Room.  There weren't many 2600 games available on XBOX 360 at the time and the spinner was pretty unnecessary.  I'd just really like to hear some first-hand experience from playing either arkanoid/breakout or Kaboom, where the spinner really would make a difference.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I didn't have much time to play before work this morning but I was able to play a few minutes of  Kaboom! and my experience was immediately very poor. 

The spinner itself is very imprecise as it would constantly jerk to the left or right and cause me to miss. There were even occasions when I would be moving left and it would jerk back to the right and vice versa. In the end I actually found myself performing better using the d-pad on the regular 360 controller (which isn't of very high quality either.)

As it is relatively old, I will try cleaning it when I get home and attempt to play some more but it doesn't look good unfortunately. 

TheTramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheTramp

Poop.  :(

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IkariNoTekken
    @TheTramp:  I tried using it again after cleaning it, but no change unfortunately. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.