Wifi help - access points or better router?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

My subdivision is finally getting Fiber (hooray!!!!).

Anyway, for an extra $12 a month the Fiber company can offer us 2 access points. Is it worth it? Currently we just have a basic router with a wifi-extender in the basement. Granted, we're only able to get 50down/5up at the moment. I'm wondering if it's better to have 2 access points or just buy my own decent router and use that instead when we make the jump to fiber.

The biggest problem that we have now, is we have a lot of wifi deadspots on the far side of the house upstairs and on our main level. I

Any recommendations or suggestions on routers are greatly appreciated!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Its always cheaper in the long run to get your own router if they are charging monthly for it. For $12 a month you can buy a decent router and save money after a year. If they provide one for free try it out and see how well it works in your home first, and if its not working across the entire house then consider more or better hardware. And remember if your router has 2.4GHz and 5 GHz consider putting devices farther away getting a weaker signals on the 2.4GHz, its slower but has better range. And a mesh network is an option, but you are looking at three or four years before they pay themselves off at $12 a month.

The wire cutter is a decent place to start if you want to look into what you might need if you decide to purchase anything rather then pay monthly.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

@lego_my_eggo: Awesome! Thank you very much for the response. I was eying a Mesh network down the road as well. I'll definitely check out the Wirecutter site.

Thanks again!