• 59 results
MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MC_Izawa

I don't understand why people get all embarrassed about stuff they enjoy.  They hide the fact that they enjoy playing MMOs or doing fantasy sports or building computers.  Nowadays, who doesn't participate in some form of nerd behavior?  I don't feel ashamed about anything that I do for fun.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By cloneslayer

social awkwardness
a fear that girls won't love them
ect...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's okay to love something geeky and show it as long as it doesn't border on obsession.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By inkeiren

I find it ridiculous too. I know this sounds like going off on a tangent, but this is related. Mainstream culture no longer exists like it used to. Forms of entertainment, culture, and lifestyles are slowly being pluralized. Everyone is into their own little niche. Eventually, everyone will have to accept that things are going to be very, very different. Things that people enjoy will probably grow weirder and weirder. I blame the internet.

Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rapture

Peer Pressure

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MC_Izawa
inkeiren said:
"I find it ridiculous too. I know this sounds like going off on a tangent, but this is related. Mainstream culture no longer exists like it used to. Forms of entertainment, culture, and lifestyles are slowly being pluralized. Everyone is into their own little niche. Eventually, everyone will have to accept that things are going to be very, very different. Things that people enjoy will probably grow weirder and weirder. I blame the internet."
Yep.  Society used to force the people with alternative interests to either let them go or become a shut in.  The Internet has allowed people to find others like themselves and feel more comfortable about their interests.  There's a good and bad side to that, though, because for every interesting person who gets to continue being interesting, there's a weeaboo or dude with a sexual attraction to balloons who gets to continue being a freak.
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By auspiciousqueue

That is why as an adult, I separate work from hobbies. When I want to discuss things that I find enjoyable, I find like minded people. Most of the time people are embarrassed because if they tell someone the type of 'nerdy' things they do, they will be stereotyped. Just because I have the weirdest hobby of making conceptual sketches of costumes and making them and exchanging tips on how to make the costumes, does not mean I am going to go out and wear the costume and act like the character. I just like making the costume because I enjoy costuming and the design and innovation put into taking something from paper to material. But I would be stereotyped, so I don't tell most people what I do. 

LiquidPrince said:
"It's okay to love something geeky and show it as long as it doesn't border on obsession."
I totally agree.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Basically because society looks down on geeks. Apparently, it's OK to have been on the football team in high school and have your own fantasy football team, but as soon as you discuss being head of your community game night (that did not involve some massively popular game) or how your Ninja/Magic Knight/Red Mage/White Mage combo is the best team to take down Exdeath, prepare to see the inside of a locker or other cramped space more often than you see sunlight.

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hausdog

I dunno, if you have BAD TASTE then you should probably keep it to yourself because no one wants to see that. It's like a 90-year-old man's penis. We know it's there, we just don't want to be exposed to it or even think about it because it's nasty and flaccid and it has cobwebs growing on it. Like one of my friends loves Eurobeat music. Do a youtube search for Eurobeat and listen to all the identical stuff that pops up. It's defined by one repetitive sound and that's it. I was disappointed when I found out :(

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By auspiciousqueue
Hausdog said:
"I dunno, if you have BAD TASTE then you should probably keep it to yourself because no one wants to see that. It's like a 90-year-old man's penis. We know it's there, we just don't want to be exposed to it or even think about it because it's nasty and flaccid and it has cobwebs growing on it. Like one of my friends loves Eurobeat music. Do a youtube search for Eurobeat and listen to all the identical stuff that pops up. It's defined by one repetitive sound and that's it. I was disappointed when I found out :("
I agree in not wanting to see a 90-year old man's penis. But I have to ask wouldn't it be an opinion in what bad taste is? Having a nerdy habit may be 'in bad taste' to some people but you may find it enjoyable. I actually find Eurobeat hilarious and fun to listen to. 

EDIT: I would have a better time explaining myself if I defined 'bad taste' as being something that most people do not enjoy. Which is why I believe people are embarrassed to say they have a geeky hobby.
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inkeiren
Hausdog said:
"I dunno, if you have BAD TASTE then you should probably keep it to yourself because no one wants to see that. It's like a 90-year-old man's penis. We know it's there, we just don't want to be exposed to it or even think about it because it's nasty and flaccid and it has cobwebs growing on it. Like one of my friends loves Eurobeat music. Do a youtube search for Eurobeat and listen to all the identical stuff that pops up. It's defined by one repetitive sound and that's it. I was disappointed when I found out :("
There is a space between hiding it and not flaunting. No one should "hide" that they like Eurobeat. But it would also not be prudent to wear a neon shirt that says "I LOVE EUROBEAT" while blasting it out of a boombox wherever you go. I truly believe almost any interest is fine, as long as you don't hurt yourself or someone else.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Because they're stupid.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Black_Rose
LiquidPrince said:
"It's okay to love something geeky and show it as long as it doesn't border on obsession."
This is what I do
wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By wrecks

Here here! Even as an older geek, I still have pals who seem to shun or hide the geek shit they love. It's utterly insane to me. There is no difference between being a fool into games or a fool into sports or a fool into opera.... It's all just entertainment. People are fucking weird.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By fr0br0

I had an assignment earlier today where I had to draw a picture to show the use of a vocabulary word. I drew a picture of Darth Vader. I shall not hide my geekiness!

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inkeiren
Fr0Br0 said:
"I had an assignment earlier today where I had to draw a picture to show the use of a vocabulary word. I drew a picture of Darth Vader. I shall not hide my geekiness!"
8 or so years ago when I was in elementary school I would often do things like this. You'd be given vocabulary words and be instructed to make sentences using these words. I feel like many of the people here at Giantbomb did the exact same thing.

"Squirtle aggressively used tackle"
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar

I proudly show my geek/nerd pride

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By maxszy

It has to do with what they do, who they hang out with, what their interests are and so forth.

As an example I will fully admit that I am more of what one would call a "closet-geek." Why? I am a International Affairs major and I am very interested in politics. The people that I meet and the group which is involved in that area is much different than those who I would call my true friends where we are gamers and know so much about Star Wars its scary. Granted I realize this all comes down to stereotypes and how society judges everyone, but sadly that's just the way it is. So we have got to deal with it. Therefore I put on two different "outfits." I am the same person, but I don't tell a particular crowd about my other hobbies.

So I would argue that there are times that, perhaps because of societies demands, it is alright and even needed to "hide your geek."

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Shadow2K6

Fear, mostly.  Society rejects geeks.  A lot of closet-geeks are in the "popular" crowd.  If they ever mentioned anything remotely geeky there is a chance they get kicked out of that crowd and become a social outcast.

For example.  I'm 20.  Ever since Pokemon came out when I was 10 I never really stopped playing the games (main games of course) except for times I took breaks from it.  Now my close friends know I do because some of them play it too but most people I just say "sup" to in college every day I would never even bring up Pokemon let alone have a discussion about it.

My friend actually refused to go to Walmart to buy Pokemon Platinum because some girls he knew worked there and he didn't want them to see him buying it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't promote the fact that I play video games. I won't wear game-related clothing, though at times I've considered it, especially with some of the GTA stuff I've seen. I don't think of it so much as hiding it, but rather... not trying to present myself as an open book. If you want to find out that I play games extensively, you're just gonna have to get to know me. Even then, it sure won't be long before I start rambling on about them. I'm not exactly ashamed of it, afterall, I do plan to make a living from it. Though, I guess I can't say I'm too proud of it either.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Optiow

Well somtimes girls can do it. I tend to not tell them that I like to much gaming.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Gunner

*walks up to one of his non gaming friends*

Me: "hey i just bought a set of 4gb of RAM so i can play Empire: Total War when it comes out, only cost me 50 bucks."

Non gaming friend: "... what?..."

thats why.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By artofwar420

'Cause it's cool to be a fake-geek, rather than an actual geek.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

Hiding your interests, especially one that is as involved as gaming, is one of the most unhealthy things you can do when approaching new relationships, romantic or otherwise.  Don't do it!

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By makari

Everyone's a geek nowadays. It's the information age after all. I find it funny that people will still cling to belittling 'geeks' while sending electronic messages, updating the HTML and embedding Youtube video on their Myspace/Facebook/Whatever. Good ol human condition.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By matthew

Dang, who would've thought taking part in a clan could help out a bit...

Many spot-on thoughts have been put down here, but one that seems to be missing is the culture fact.  Video gaming here in the states carries it's own meanings and associations that differ to those in Japan.  I'm sure we all heard the podcast where they're in Japan.  It's almost normal to go to the arcade after work or what not and spend some time there.

Even in the states, if you mention what Gunner above said about walking up to a friend and talking about RAM and upgrading your computer, you're going to be taken differently than if you to mention that in San Jose, as opposed to rural South Dakota.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By OGCartman

Yeah next time im at a rave im gonna tell the bitches i once logged 100 hours of world of warcraft in a week.
Thatll surely get me laid.

;)

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShadowKiller

Most of my friends have no idea what I'm talking about anyways so I don't bother bringing it up.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

not me nobody can enter my house without knowing. the first thing you see when you walk in the door is my flat scree, my ps3, and all of my games. 

but i dont think games are nerdy at all. 
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK
inkeiren said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"I had an assignment earlier today where I had to draw a picture to show the use of a vocabulary word. I drew a picture of Darth Vader. I shall not hide my geekiness!"

"Squirtle aggressively used tackle""
unbeatable vocabulary sentence right here
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By singular

In my opinion you become a nerd or a geek when you get overly obsessive about something. That could be everything from gaming to sports. For example: Someone who watches football all day, talks about football all day and has plastered his walls with football posters is a football geek.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shadow

I don't hide it.  I am however, very aware that most random people I meet don't give a shit.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusnchill

In society today the only people that really care to judge other's these day's, are the people who are ultimately two-faced and very transparent, in which case the public will tend to either idolise that person (American Idol's: Simon cowl.) OR really Hate them  (The leader of the suffering african nation: Mugabe.)

I look at it like this: "I'm a pretty normal guy with some normal interest's and some nerdy interest's mixed in too. I'm completely comfortable with these nerdy interest's and if someone/you aren't, then that's your problem because I'm not changing unless I want too!"
Besides why would I change something about myself that isn't harming either me OR anyone else, to satisfy some else's view of me. Whether their view has anything to do with my reputation or my appearance, I could give a shit.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By BoG

They're angsty teenagers. I have a very close friend who never spoke of his geekiness or to many of his geeky friends in public, but would splurge when he was among nerds. I was guilty of hiding it until high school, when I stopped caring. Now a days I don't really hide it. I don't wear it on my shoulder, but I'd never deny it.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Otacon

The only way the stereotype will stop is if other non geeks see us geeks as the normal people we are. You can still tell that there are people that judge you for it, usually girls who themselves are caught up in the latest series of Gossip Girl or Skins etc. which to me is geeky in itself. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead

From what I could tell from high school is that bros get everywhere, geeks don't. Even now when it's accepted, try and find a girl who will fuck you for being a lvl 80 character on WoW rather than fucking you because you're captain of the team. That being said, if you're a geek and you're still trying to get with those girls, you have missed the boat.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Otacon

In the case of women, if they judge you then they are the wrong kind of person to be around. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust

Some geeks tend to be defensive due to public ridicule, alienation from the opposite sex, and a perception of living in their parents basement well beyond what's reasonable.  Geek is now only a more socially acceptable version of terms like nerd or dork which, in a high school setting, are meant to separate individuals from the group for easier humiliation.  Growing up, it's not who you are that counts but who others perceive you to be.  Under the stresses of these expectations, some geeks never get a chance to develop decent social skills.  Fear drives them underground and they never have the opportunity to meet with other like-minded geeks and flourish into proud geeks.  It's too bad because there is a large number of closet geeks of all types (comics, anime/film animation, computers, games, scifi, cosplay/larp, etc...) running around out there. 

When I was a kid, "geek" was the term which described students into the performing arts, while what is currently considered "geeky" was, back then, for "nerds".  Language is fun!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiggerBomb

I think there's a bit of a distinction between being a nerd and being a geek. I've always seen nerds as people who care more about fantasy more than sports, or who could spend hours talking and writing about how awesome The Elder Scrolls universe is. Geeks, on the other hand, I've seen as the stereotyped oddball with suspenders and a duct taped glasses' bridge. That could just be my love for drawing semantic distinctions/arguing for the sake of it, but it's a distinction I believe in, nevertheless.

Anyway, I don't hide the fact that I'm a nerd. Not to anyone. =P

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jayge_

I don't hide my geekiness, but I don't bother talking about it unless someone else brings it up. What's the point? Who besides another geek/nerd is going to laugh if I say "I was walking around near Oasis last night and some physics glitch caused a Yao Guai to start humping the fuck out of a mole rat"?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By RedSox8933

I don't hide my geekiness either, but I do know a lot of people that do. When I am in public with some of my friends, who all play World of Warcraft and other PC games, and I start talking about it, they get all embarrassed and tell me to stop talking about it. I love the geeky part of me. I will share it with the fucking world.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Alphiehyr
@MC_Izawa said:
" I don't understand why people get all embarrassed about stuff they enjoy.  They hide the fact that they enjoy playing MMOs or doing fantasy sports or building computers.  Nowadays, who doesn't participate in some form of nerd behavior?  I don't feel ashamed about anything that I do for fun. "
Girls don't like it.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Some people just feel such a sense of peer pressure and embarrassment in social situations that means they can't admit their geekiness, while others are taking a more active approach and deciding straight out not to let their geekiness show in an attempt to protect their social standing. I am a very socially unconfident person myself but I never hide my geekiness, it's who I am and if I try to hide it I'm just tricking people into liking a person that isn't me. Be yourself people, it's the best policy.

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LeoMinor

I'm wearing my Foxhound shirt right now.  But only because it's badass.  And it's maybe the only game related shirt I have.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By Mushir

Everyone should be proud to be a geek!

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dbz1995
@StaticFalconar said:
" I proudly show my geek/nerd pride "
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By phlegms

Cos' it rarely contributes to you getting laid.

ColinRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ColinRyan

Be proud of your geekiness! It's great!

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Maru

are we talking about high school kids here ?? then it's because of peer pressure
AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AgentofChaos
@Cloneslayer said:
" social awkwardnessa fear that girls won't love themect... "
This and people typically aren't accepting of who they are, especially if it goes against the grain of the popular belief.