Why do people hate TIm and Eric so much?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Where_Am_I

I think their show is hilarious in every way, I will admit, I hated it at first. Now it's one of my favorite comedy shows ever... Now because of this show, I find almost everything else not funny... It seems to me like I'm the only person that thinks this show is genius, and that almost every other show out right now is trash... Whenever I ask somebody why they hate it, they never can give me a normal answer.. is it because they make people feel  uncomfortable or something? 
I find this clip funnier than anything on snl.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm going to say it's because they don't get it. 

And I don't mean that in a smuggy, "you aren't smart enough to understand this" kinda way, because it's not particularly that smart anyway. It's just different and you either get it, or you don't. Or you grow to like it, I guess. 

I don't know what I'm saying. Kinda sums up Tim and Eric, no? 

I'm not the hugest fan, either way. My friend is though. A huge fan, in fact. Submitted videos for their competition and his filmmaking is inspired by him. 

Actually, this lets me bring up my friends indie game called Why I Want To Fuck Barrack Obama. Here's the trailer. 

NSFW.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

No Caption Provided
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

They don't wanna doo dah doo doo. 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By recroulette

It seems to be very polarizing. You either love it or you hate it.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By blackbird415
@RecSpec: 

Well I love it!!! I was pissed I missed the show up in denver this past year.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their humor is really bizarre and so out of the ordinary that it either really clicks with people or they just wont find it funny.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bones8677

Yeah I just don't get it. 

It's nothing more than non sequitur humor, random and absurd. It's childish. Unless you're under 14 and/or high there's nothing of any substance Tim and Eric provides.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I just never got it in the beginning but, after awhile, I just started laughing. I eventually grew into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bones8677 said:
" Yeah I just don't get it.   It's nothing more than non sequitur humor, random and absurd. It's childish. Unless you're under 14 and/or high there's nothing of any substance Tim and Eric provides. "

Being high doesn't help.

Like others have said, either you're the right mind for it, or you're not. I always found the show very off-putting, and I can say that I gave it enough of my time to know I don't like it. That said, I certainly wouldn't use the word "hate," because I know all too well about different tastes - and they have to still be on the air for a reason.

Different strokes.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DoctorTran
@StaticFalconar

No Caption Provided
I love you sir/ma'am. The avatar is pure love. I love QC so much.

On that note. I loved the one Tim and Erics first show. The mayor one. But the other show is just. I don't know. I don't like it. And they really annoyed me in the Maynard James Keenan doc Blood Into Wine. I know it was the "comedic relief" but, I felt like how Maynard acted in those scenes.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By benpack
@Bones8677 said:
" Yeah I just don't get it.   It's nothing more than non sequitur humor, random and absurd. It's childish. Unless you're under 14 and/or high there's nothing of any substance Tim and Eric provides. "
I'm neither of those things and I enjoy the show very much. I understand why people don't like the show, but generalizations like that make no sense. Different people of all ages, races, sexes, ect have different tastes. Also if you watched the show, you'd see that there's a lot of content making fun of the stoner culture.
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Lautaro

@Bones8677 said: 

Of course everyone who likes the show must fit into a certain mold, basically you don't like it and can't see why anyone could. Don't sit there and lump people into groups because they like something that you don't. I fit into neither of your groups and enjoy the show.
JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoMu

Tim and Eric are not very funny and yet someone decides to keep throwing money at them to make more shows. On the rare occasion that either Tim and/or Eric themselves is actually funny, they ruin it by not knowing when to end the joke before it gets tired. The only slightly redeeming factor to their shows is the guest stars that they bring in to be the real talent of each episode.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bones8677
@Lautaro said:

Of course everyone who likes the show must fit into a certain mold, basically you don't like it and can't see why anyone could. Don't sit there and lump people into groups because they like something that you don't. I fit into neither of your groups and enjoy the show. "

@GlenTennis said:

I'm neither of those things and I enjoy the show very much. I understand why people don't like the show, but generalizations like that make no sense. Different people of all ages, races, sexes, ect have different tastes. Also if you watched the show, you'd see that there's a lot of content making fun of the stoner culture. "

No Caption Provided
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45
@Bones8677 said:

" @Lautaro said:

Of course everyone who likes the show must fit into a certain mold, basically you don't like it and can't see why anyone could. Don't sit there and lump people into groups because they like something that you don't. I fit into neither of your groups and enjoy the show. "

@GlenTennis said:

I'm neither of those things and I enjoy the show very much. I understand why people don't like the show, but generalizations like that make no sense. Different people of all ages, races, sexes, ect have different tastes. Also if you watched the show, you'd see that there's a lot of content making fun of the stoner culture. "

No Caption Provided
"
You said something stupid and got called on it, throwing oldass image macros at it like you don't give a fuck doesn't make you look any less retarded.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bones8677
@Pinworm45: I said something stupid because I don't care about Tim and Eric. And I bothered to write a comment because I'm bored. Heaven forbid I don't take Tim and Eric seriously, good God. People need to not get so uppity over stupid things.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pinworm45
@Bones8677 said:
" @Pinworm45: I said something stupid because I don't care about Tim and Eric. And I bothered to write a comment because I'm bored. Heaven forbid I don't take Tim and Eric seriously, good God. People need to not get so uppity over stupid things. "
I'm not uppity, it's just how it is. The other people didn't seem uppity, either. 

In fact, the only one who seems agitated and uppity is you. 

INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS TO YOU I GUESS
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bones8677
@Pinworm45 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @Pinworm45: I said something stupid because I don't care about Tim and Eric. And I bothered to write a comment because I'm bored. Heaven forbid I don't take Tim and Eric seriously, good God. People need to not get so uppity over stupid things. "
I'm not uppity, it's just how it is. The other people didn't seem uppity, either.  In fact, the only one who seems agitated and uppity is you.  INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS TO YOU I GUESS "
Whatever helps you sleep at night dude.
themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By themartyr

It's odd, and I'm not totally decided on it, although it's definitely up my humour alley.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lautaro
@Bones8677 said:

You came in here and basically called anyone who watches something you don't like an idiot, were you NOT expecting a response?
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YoThatLimp
@GlenTennis said:
" @Bones8677 said:
I don't think it is unfair to say that when adult swim is pandering towards cannabis smokers about 17-23 years old. 
Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Malakhii

It's very simple. People have differing opinions. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Brendan

I don't find the humour...humourous. 
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I just don't get it. A few of my friends are into it but I've never been able to appreciate it.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

They will always rock. 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust
@Brendan said:
" I don't find the humour...humourous.  "
Exactly.  I understand it's supposed to be absurdest humor, but I don't find their level of  eccentricity funny.  Similar to Monty Python's Flying Circus or The Kids in the Hall, not every idea is going to connect with every audience.  In the case of Tim and Eric, for me personally, every joke seems weak and stagnant.  It's like someone took that awkward moment shared by two people when they first meet and don't quite know what to talk about, and turned it into a comedy career.  Satire needs to speak to its audience on a level they identify with from their own experiences and knowledge.  It's not about intelligence but instead world view.  I don't  share the same ascetic and  disdainful opinion of society that seems to be the foundation of Tim and Eric's humor.  That's what I get out of it, at least.  To put it simply, it rubs me the wrong way.  

On the other hand, unsophisticated plebeian as I am... 

...makes me laugh nearly every time. 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchScabby

There's no substance behind it, it's just random bullshit, which I find boring.  Although I don't like sketch comedy either, I guess for me to enjoy humor I need actual characters, and stories and whatever.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By blueduck

The Eric from Tim and Eric went to my highschool, though this was way before I went there. 
I know cool story, bro

Rashermon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rashermon

Thing is Tim and Eric is much like Tom Goes To the Mayor in polarization.  The comedy for first time viewers is really uneven with ridiculously funny parts and really bizarre and strange parts that they wouldn't be sure to laugh at or not.   A lot of my friends who watch Tim and Eric admit that they had to be forced to watch 4 or 5 episodes before they even began to think they started liking the show. 

Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Drakhir

I'm sorry, who?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By dichemstys

I watched that clip and that seemed okay. Didn't stand out or anything to me but I didn't hate it. I'll watch a few more clips and see what I think. Anyone have some recommendations of your favorite clips?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Demyx

I just find it not funny. At all.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I love it. I definitely don't blame people for not liking it, though. It's not for everybody. It's amazing how disrespectful people can be toward other people's opinions. 

Having said that, people better not badmouth Adult Swim. The Venture Bros. is one of the greatest shows ever.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36  Edited By damnboyadvance

I didn't really like that clip. This seems like one of those shows where it's a hit or miss with people.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Because they're afraid.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Enigma777

As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the greatest videos ever: 

I do agree that the show is retarded though...
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By jakob187

Tim and Eric is probably one of the most retarded shows to ever be aired.  The video you posted?  I didn't laugh once.  It's fucking stupid.  Putting random dumb shit together in the same piece does not automatically equal comedy, and I fail to understand how people find anything about Tim and Eric funny. 

Fuck, Two and a Half Men is funnier than Tim and Eric, and that's a fucking travesty!

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i am one of the few who doesn't like the show  

to me it just seems like there trying way to hard to be Strange/funny and it ends up just making me angry which is odd as i love everything else about adult swim 

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ragdrazi

The first few seasons it was all just relentless gross out humor minus humor. Everything was gross and painful to watch. It seemed like, given how low budget everything was the only joke in Tim and Eric was on the viewer. Haha, we made money off of grossing you out, isn't that funny. As I understand it, later seasons got a hell of a lot more funny.

TucanSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TucanSam

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By captain_clayman

dont mind pinworm45. 

he's...uppity.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44  Edited By Levio

I'd never heard of this show before reading this thread.  Afterward, I found this video: 

Thank you thread!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

Its just pure chaos. Mostly they just seem to want to make me vomit.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By DocHaus

One time I was watching an episode of Tim & Eric, and every character threw up for no reason at all. I tried watching that clip in the OP, and I did not laugh once.  "Guy watching his friend sleep" could be funny, but then they focus on...the chair he uses for it? Okay. Then they continue describing the chair in detail, and...the clip is over.

A standup comedian I talked to once said that good comedy is like leading your audience down a garden path and then turning on the sprinklers when they least expect it. It doesn't work as well when you just stand in front of the path and mumble to yourself for several minutes before pissing on the audience's shoes to salvage the bit. That's what Tim & Eric is: two guys mumbling to each other for several minutes, and then making those mumblings into the show, punctuated by random gross stuff in a last-ditch attempt to make you laugh. Tim & Eric is the anti-comedy, not much funnier than 90% of the shit I could find with a random YouTube search. Then again, there's no rule that you have to be funny to get on Adult Swim, or even have a cartoon to get on Cartoon Network anymore.

But hey, you people don't need some random people on the internet validating what you personally like or don't like. I mean, we all know how no one takes it personally and whines when the staff at GB doesn't give a glowing review to their favorite game, right?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Animasta
@Levio said:

" I'd never heard of this show before reading this thread.  Afterward, I found this video: 

Thank you thread!

"
never seen this show before, but if that's considered humor...

boy you must think 4chan's a riot, huh
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#48  Edited By Vinchenzo
@jakob187 said:
" Tim and Eric is probably one of the most retarded shows to ever be aired.  The video you posted?  I didn't laugh once.  It's fucking stupid.  Putting random dumb shit together in the same piece does not automatically equal comedy, and I fail to understand how people find anything about Tim and Eric funny.  Fuck, Two and a Half Men is funnier than Tim and Eric, and that's a fucking travesty! "
I agree Jakob. On the topic of Two and a Half Men... dear lord is that terrible as well. Fuck. 

Anyway, I hate Tim and Eric because I like actual comedy. You know, funny stuff. Case in point: 

Also I know a lot of people love the UK version, so I acknowledge that as well. I've just seen a lot more of the American version because I'm in America of course.
ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ArcLyte

people don't like tim and eric? on what fucking planet?

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Where_Am_I
@jakob187 said:

" Tim and Eric is probably one of the most retarded shows to ever be aired.  The video you posted?  I didn't laugh once.  It's fucking stupid.  Putting random dumb shit together in the same piece does not automatically equal comedy, and I fail to understand how people find anything about Tim and Eric funny.  Fuck, Two and a Half Men is funnier than Tim and Eric, and that's a fucking travesty! "

You know what's funny, I agree with that, if you totally flipped it around... sorry for your shitty sense of humor, it's a shame :/.
Oh, and you think it's just random? Man, look a little harder.. because that is  false... Must be your lack of intelligence to pick up something that's not spoon fed to you.