When you sing lyrics from a love song do you change the gender of the lyrics?

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll When you sing lyrics from a love song do you change the gender of the lyrics? (35 votes)

Yes 3%
No 83%
Other/I use they 3%
I never sing the lyrics 11%

I know among some men, singing lyrics where you are hetero, and have a woman singing about a man...well men often get embarrassed and change the words. Some men don't care. Women sometimes change the words when it's the other way around as well...so what do you do when alone. Do you keep the song's intended lyrics or do you play to your own tune? This goes for anyone by the way.

• 
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cikame

I'm a metal fan soooo... I can't think of any songs about boyfriends, i wouldn't change the lyrics to skater boy if that counts.

"Ooooh i miss my Japanese boy", yeah i wouldn't change the lyrics.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if im singing along im usually really feeling the song so I don't want to pull myself out of it with pesky considered thoughts, just let myself step into the role of the performer. They wrote the song to share a feeling, I'm embodying the song to enjoy those feelings, play along.

:)

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By brian_

No, but I'm pansexual, so it's not really an issue for me anyways. The only instance where I might change pronouns around in a song would be if I was singing it to someone specifically, in order to match their gender, but I'd also probably just find a more suitable song to sing to them to begin with.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: That's the great thing about Closer by Nine Inch Nails. It works for any recipient and fits any romantic occasion, from first date karaoke to first dance at the wedding!

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bigsocrates: Yeah. It's that and Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Yeah, I sometimes replace the man with a woman depending on the song. But most of the time I accept the lyrics how they are.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Ringo Starr sang "Boys" in 1962. We've been through this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stand by Your Woman doesn't even fit.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Broshmosh

I once changed "Newo Ikkin" in one of Coheed & Cambria's songs to the name of my then-girlfriend, also reversed, when I covered the track with a friend. I wouldn't do that now, honestly was a bit peevish to do it then. Wouldn't change pronouns in a song, but being bi I wouldn't have needed to anyway.

SialGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when singing a love song to match their own identity or the person they're singing to. It's a personal preference and can be a way to make the song more relatable or meaningful for the singer and the audience.