What horror movies are you planning to watch this month (Oct 2015)?

• 65 results
whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm planning (hoping) to watch a horror movie every day this October.

Today I started with Oculus (2013). I gave it 3 stars out of 5 on the ol' Netflix - the movie does a great job of keeping you guessing as to what is real or not. However, it's not really scary in the slightest, with the one or two obvious "jump" scares being able to be spotted from a mile away. Still - quite enjoyable.

I have not really planned out what I plan to watch this month other than a few movies I already have on deck (As Above So Below, Enemy) and some others I can watch on Netflix (Stake Land, a bunch of poor-to-middling randoms), and I'll build a list from there as the opportunity arises.

So - what horror movies are you planning to watch this month?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I'm very inexperience in the horror genre but will try to watch at least a few of Patrick's horror recommendations for beginners over on Kotaku. Any recommendations yourself? Right now all I know is that I want to watch Trick 'r' Treat.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't seen a good horror movie in years. It seems like the ones they come up with now are bad, not like the golden age of horror in the 70's and 80's. Or maybe I just have to look harder. I'm open to some suggestions.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might. but I don't know what.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By whitegreyblack

@hippie_genocide: @freezyfrog: I am trying to limit myself to watching movies I have not seen before, but for recommendations on those I've already seen... these are just ones from the very top of my head at 1:25AM (and my mind is largely blanking on my favorite "classics" for some reason):

Some Oldies

• The Exorcist
  • Hellraiser
  • Sleepaway Camp

Some not so oldies

• The Conjuring
  • Mama
  • Honeymoon
  • Babadook (thanks for reminding me of this, people below!)
  • You're Next
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • As Above So Below

It's actually pretty tough to recommend horror movies because people's tastes in horror seem to diverge wildly. I know that the last two "not so oldies" did not fair so well in the realm of public opinion, for example. Personally, I do not go for too many of the really gore-heavy flicks, whereas to someone else that might be their bread and butter.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I was recently made aware of the film House (Hausu). I must watch Hausu.

Loading Video...

Besides that, I'm not sure. I don't watch that many horror movies (most seem to be around Halloween). This year I heard a lot of good things about It Follows and I've never watched The Thing, so maybe those? I haven't put a lot of thought into my Halloween movie night this year.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@whitegreyblack: every year my gf and I watch a ton of horror movies in October. I'll try to watch Friday the 13th on Halloween again. I'm wanting to contain the series too. We started this month early. We watched the babadook which was awesome. I watched inside which was intense a messed up.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

The Teletubbies Movie ......

Or Unfriended, I dnow.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to have @rorie weigh in on this! I'm not brown nosing I promise, haha. Every single movie he's recommended way back in the Screened days, I've enjoyed immensely. Perhaps he has some good psychological horror movies?

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

http://letterboxd.com/danteveli/list/straszdziernik-shocktober-2015/

Here is my list - Its a mix of older and newer stuff from around the world. Not finished yet but I have already started watching.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@hippie_genocide: It might not be exactly what you're after, but I'll personally recommend Frozen (2010). I thought it was one of the most effective horror movies given how relatively believable it is.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By militantfreudian

The only one on my radar at the moment is Del Toro's Crimson Peak. It's out in theatres October 16th.

hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: I own the conjuring but never got around to watching it. I should probably do that. I've heard good things about It Follows too.

@beachthunder it's probably on Netflix yeah? I'll look out for it.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I hear it's more of a psychological thriller, but "Regression" looks real good. Also, Emma Watson.

Gonna' be a hell of a month for films between that, The Lobster (Collin Farrel and Rachel Weisz, need I go on?), the new Woody Allen flick, The Martian and Sicario.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gatehouse

I'll definitely watch Crimson Peak in the cinema and will probably watch It Follows again at home. I kind of want to see Unfriended as well, so I might just seek that out.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have a ton of werewolf movies queued up on Amazon from last year. I'll probably burn through some of them, but I'm just not that into watching movies anymore.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halloween/October is a very nostalgic time for me, I'll watch some new horror movies if they seem good (It Follows, Crimson Peak) but this is a month where I transport back to when I was a child/teen.

The Ring
The Others
The Thing
The Haunting (The remake, yeah I know, sue me, I love it.)
The Shining
Paranormal Actvity
13 Ghosts (Its ending credits are a rap song! A RAP SONG ENDS A HORROR MOVIE!)
6th Sense
A handful of the slasher classics (Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th)
Ginger Snaps
The Frighteners (shut up it counts)
The Grudge movies.

Stuff like that, I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting. Such a fun month for me, I don't care how silly some of those movies get, I just have a good time with them all.

I hear it's more of a psychological thriller, but "Regression" looks real good. Also, Emma Watson.

I like you, you're good people.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

No love for Crimson Peak?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cornbredx

The Birds, Childs Play 1, 2, and 3, maybe the Ghostbusters movies, and I don't know beyond that. I haven't thought about it enough. I mostly have been thinking about the games I will be playing this month haha

Edit: Oh ya, I just remembered I have a bunch of Kubrick movies I was gonna watch too.

@zolroyce said:

...The Frighteners (shut up it counts)...

You do not have to be ashamed. That is a great horror/comedy film, unlike several other movies you have on there which would make more sense to feel awkward about. =P

Also, I'm assuming you mean the new 13 ghosts and not the good 13 ghosts so the name is actually Thir13en Ghosts. Ya...

I like bad movies, too, though. Not judging. I'm just saying because the distinction is important to me =P The original is one of my favorite horror movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I plan on watching some Twin Peaks if time permits. It's not horror, but it is an absolutely fantastic thing to watch in the fall.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By rorie

@m16mojo2 said:

I would love to have @rorie weigh in on this! I'm not brown nosing I promise, haha. Every single movie he's recommended way back in the Screened days, I've enjoyed immensely. Perhaps he has some good psychological horror movies?

I haven't really been watching many movies the last couple years, alas. But if you're looking for something a bit older, The Innocents is pretty damn freaky.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year, I really enjoyed

Starry Eyes - takes "what will you do for fame?" to a new level. The kills aren't necessarily gory, but are really brutal, and the lead actress' performance is fantastic. Be aware there is some (thematically appropriate) sexual predator-type stuff near the middle.

Unfriended - takes place entirely on a computer screen, and its dedication to accuracy is really appreciated; the websites/software are real, and the way that the 'user' uses her computer is very well done. The movie is brief, too, at barely over 70 minutes, so when it drags in the beginning of the third act it's only for like 10 minutes.

It Follows - not scary, but an unsettling experience. Very nicely shot with some really cool dream-logic shit happening.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anybody got any good childhood horror movies? Something like IT for example? For some reason I always enjoyed really good childhood fears\coming of age horrors.

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilCalvin

Trick R' Treat!! Underrated gem. Actually rated well but kind of unknown. Was supposed to be released in theaters but due to complications it was released in DVD a few years later. It features about 3 interconnected stories that intertwine nicely. Stars in one of the segments Anna Paquin. It ooozes Halloween and it's not a slasher flik. Lots of witches, pumpkins, candy and razor blades. Watch it now. Lots of fun!

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Night of the Living Dead

2. Dawn of the dead

3.Shaun of the Dead

4. It Follows

5. Alien

6. You're Next

7. Let the right one on

8. Grindhouse

9.28 Day later

10. Nosferatu

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to wing it for the most part, but I'm definitely slotting in:

Halloween

Nightmare on Elm Street 4

Nightmare Before Christmas (it's tradition, even though I just watched it last month)

At least one of the Puppet Master movies

Basket Case 3

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

And I need at least one good nasty splatter flick, so probably either The Beyond or Wizard of Gore. Maybe a Troma film to top it off.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is definitely going right where I hoped it would. Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

@shagge said:

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Even though I am trying to limit myself to non-repeat watches this year, I might have to watch that one again - I have seen it dozens of times. Fun fact: John Vernon is my 3rd or 4th cousin, or something like that.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Monster Squad
Jeepers Creepers 2
Scream Blacula Scream
An American Werewolf in London

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I am trying to limit myself to non-repeat watches this year, I might have to watch that one again - I have seen it dozens of times. Fun fact: John Vernon is my 3rd or 4th cousin, or something like that.

Heh, same here. (the dozens of times thing, not John Vernon being my cousin :P) I love that movie so, so much. I'm getting horror-themed sleeve tattoos done over the next few years, and I want one of the Klowns to take a prominent spot.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: There is a costume company out there that makes a really amazing set of latex masks of the three main klowns (I think there were outfits/costumes too). I almost bought one at the local comic con last year before remembering I am a 35 year old dude that does not go out to many Halloween costume parties ;-).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I threw together a bunch of stuff comprised of stuff I missed out on in years past, classics I love and recommendations from Patrick. Unfortunately I started the festivities off with Kevin Smith's Tusk. Fuck that movie.

Here's a few from my list.

It follows
The birds
Poltergeist
The Woman in Black
Carrie (The recent remake)
The exorcist
Piranha 3d
Oculus
Pan's Labrinth
Scream 4
The Babbadook

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rewatched The Shining yesterday. Not because it's October, but because I enjoy Kubrick.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I just watched The Conjuring and Paranormal activity, I really liked Paranormal Activity.

dvdwalker8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Halloween, one of the Nightmare on Elm St. movies, In the Mouth of Madness, Child's Play, and maybe The People Under the Stairs. Been thinking about watching Ghosts of Mars again lately so I might do that this month.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

...The Frighteners (shut up it counts)...

You do not have to be ashamed. That is a great horror/comedy film, unlike several other movies you have on there which would make more sense to feel awkward about. =P

Also, I'm assuming you mean the new 13 ghosts and not the good 13 ghosts so the name is actually Thir13en Ghosts. Ya...

I like bad movies, too, though. Not judging. I'm just saying because the distinction is important to me =P The original is one of my favorite horror movies.

Haha, ya cheeky bastard! Yeah I meant the new one, I actually wasn't aware it was a remake! I tend to be up to date on that stuff, I know for certain a handful of what I listed is either a remake of an older film or a remake of an Asian horror film, but I was somehow ignorant that Thir..oh god is that really the title? Is that really how it's written? Oh god.. Thir13en Ghosts was a remake. You've given me something new to check out that for sure!
But only if there is a scene where someone gets cut in half and the sassy maid goes "I think he SPLIT" cause, I mean, otherwise why even bother right? pleasedontstabmejustjokes

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Top8Gamer

The fact that Horror is it's own genre has always baffled me. Horror is an emotion not a genre. That would be the equivalent of a genre called Joy or Sadness.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#37 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Gonna watch some old favorites:

The Thing

Evil Dead

Alien

And a couple newer films:

Grabbers (a new favorite)

Banshee Chapter

The Corridor

The Burrowers

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I've watched honeymoon and pontypool (both on Netflix). Honeymoon is the type of horror that gets under your skin and stays there. Pontypool isn't really horror, in my opinion, but more of a politically charged movie with tinges of horror. Both are really great, and are on Netflix.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: There is a costume company out there that makes a really amazing set of latex masks of the three main klowns (I think there were outfits/costumes too). I almost bought one at the local comic con last year before remembering I am a 35 year old dude that does not go out to many Halloween costume parties ;-).

Haha, give in to the temptation! At the prices they go for and sheer quantities that exist, I'll be an 80 year old (likely single) man still buying Freddy action figures and novelty toasters. :P A Klown mask marked up to Comic-Con prices seems downright practical by comparison.

Update on my list: Knocked out Halloween and House on Haunted Hill (both original) tonight thanks to a local tattoo parlor doing a movie night. There's something special about watching classic horror on a grainy projector screen. They really decked the place out, too. I'll have to upload some pics I took.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@zolroyce: Ya, 13 Ghosts is a classic William Castle movie. If you're not aware of the gimmick horror films of the 50s and 60s, it's an interesting thing to look up.

That company actually remade two of his films, which you've probably heard of. House on Haunted Hill was the first one they remade. Interestingly I think the production company that made those was founded on the idea of remaking William Castle's films. I don't know how that went, monetarily, but we have two remakes out of it (I enjoy those too, btw). I personally prefer the originals as I saw them as a kid, but bare in mind these films were made with gimmicks in mind. The most famous gimmick being "The Tingler" where Castle had the seats rigged to lightly shock the audience at random intervals in random positions (note, though, that it is debated whether they actually shocked or just vibrated the seat- it's not clear in any recounting of it I've been told- it's more likely the seat vibrated). The original 13 ghosts had what he called Illusion-O where you had to use glasses in order to see the ghosts properly. They were kind of like 3D glasses but... one lens is on the top and the other on the bottom. It's hard to explain. The top lens was to see the ghosts better, the bottom was to remove the ghosts so you couldn't see them (maybe if you were too scared, I guess). Without it you can still see them but they're fainter. The DVD version you can buy still retains that cut as well as a cut without the need for it (you should just watch it without it, it's just a cool historical collectors oddity and cool that they kept it for movie nerds like me).

You can read about it if it interests you. I love those movies. Since they were black and white I got to see them all as a kid (because in the 80s my parents figured if it was a black and white movie it was always safe- they were probably right about that but there are some pretty risque 30s movies they didn't know about too so you still have to pay attention =P), but interestingly I still drew pictures based on the original 13 ghosts and got in trouble in 3rd grade. The teachers thought there was something wrong with me.

Sorry, I said a lot about this stuff. I love William Castle's work- he was a genius when it comes to gimmick theater. I wish I could've seen that stuff in person.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By whitegreyblack

Wife and I were out a a friend's last night so we could only stay awake to watch half of Pulse (2006) last night (it seems fine so far and I think it's fun to watch shows about technology ghosts where people have flip phones and other "cutting edge" tech of the time period EDIT: movie goes completely off the rails in the second half).

We'll finish that up this afternoon and watch As Above So Below this evening (I have seen this before but I want my wife to finally see it - I actually really enjoyed this when I saw it in theatres so I want to see how it holds up upon a second viewing EDIT: I still really like this movie despite any of the dumb horror movie-ness of the plot and the character's actions)

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EXTomar

I would like to see Bite and The Green Inferno. The former is more of a true horror while the latter is more silly stupid fun horror. And Howl also looks fun.

Actually I wonder if any of these are going to be in general release in the US. Ugh.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm watching along with Patrick's Podcast this year.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Haha, no need to be sorry, this is all fascinating to me, I didn't know anything about gimmick movies, not like that, I was only ever aware of the usual 3D glasses, DBOX stuff, or cult movie like Rocky Horror Picture show where people throw stuff and what not but I had no idea there was this other way of doing things back in the day, it's really cool to hear about, I love when someone who has a passion for something gets to spill their guts even a little. You've given me some reading material and watching material that's for sure!

@ravelle said:

The Patrick? As in Scoops? Cold I get a link to this pretty please? I Googled his name and Podcast but didn't seem to get anything.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really planning on watching any, but I have been wanting to see the first two The Evil Dead films, so I did that today. They're comedy/horror.

Fly53Corps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched Shining in a while, that's always a good DVD to blow the dust off.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

@cornbredx: Haha, no need to be sorry, this is all fascinating to me, I didn't know anything about gimmick movies, not like that, I was only ever aware of the usual 3D glasses, DBOX stuff, or cult movie like Rocky Horror Picture show where people throw stuff and what not but I had no idea there was this other way of doing things back in the day, it's really cool to hear about, I love when someone who has a passion for something gets to spill their guts even a little. You've given me some reading material and watching material that's for sure!

@ravelle said:

The Patrick? As in Scoops? Cold I get a link to this pretty please? I Googled his name and Podcast but didn't seem to get anything.

Here's his Kotaku article with this movie list and his podcast Til Death Do Us Part. :)

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Babadook. Missed it last season.

Any Asian horror movies recently that don't completely suck? I've been watching these mini-stories that were on Japanese TV ages ago, they're pretty good.

Loading Video...

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trick R Treat was the feature for tonight. Did not like it.

hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched It Follows today. It was ok, but after everyone talking it up so much, I was a bit disappointed. Aside from a couple tense moments, it's not really scary at all and the ending left a little to be desired.