• 70 results
Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ezekiel

Yup, looks like the Jedi Order is literally gonna end. Not surprised. I wouldn't train more Jedi either after my father and nephew turned to the dark side. Their way is obviously flawed.

Galactic Empire > First Order

Rebel Alliance > Resistance

Sith > Knights of Ren

Jedi > ????????????

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Looks dope. Jedi Acdemy symbol brought me way back, if I'm not mistaken it is the same symbols from the outcast/academy games. Those were the days...

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So the "Jedi" in The Last Jedi is plural then?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Looks dope. Jedi Acdemy symbol brought me way back, if I'm not mistaken it is the same symbols from the outcast/academy games. Those were the days...

It's the symbol for the Jedi Order.

@shadow said:

So the "Jedi" in The Last Jedi is plural then?

Jedi is both plural and singular.

I like what I've seen. Definitely liked what I saw of this though. I liked how Luke states that there is more than just light, dark, and balance for the force. The poster looks straight out of Tron.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm. not enough to get a buzz, but yeah i'm seeing this thing.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a Star Wars movie alright. Honestly I thought it was kind of a shit trailer, the most noteworthy thing about it is how much it copied the Force Awakens teaser.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars is feeling a bit soulless lately. Reverence for the brand and Disney breathing down the Directors back seems to be stifling creativity.

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By agenta

I think this trailer is pretty dang good. Gets you feeling good and excited, without revealing anything about the actual movie. The background voices of Leia, Obi-Wan, and Yoda were a great touch. The idea of hitting on the balance of the force if executed right could be awesome. As someone who was a big fan of the old EU, their philosophical views on the force and the light/darkside were some of the best parts of the story.

@spacefish said:

Star Wars is feeling a bit soulless lately. Reverence for the brand and Disney breathing down the Directors back seems to be stifling creativity.

I can't comment on all Star Wars media, but the movies I feel have been very well executed. I don't watch Rebels, but it seems to be doing well and be engaging. So far with the "new" EU the thing that is falling flat is the novels. There have been 8 I believe and of the 4 I've read none of them really hold a torch to some of the old writing. So I can agree in that aspect that I think that Disney's story group, or whoever they have managing the Star Wars Universe is stifling a lot of the creativity we could see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6
deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not like they made another Death St...oh

Its not like they made another Darth Va...oh

Rebel One had a lot of soul to it and better characters IMO.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hope they tread new ground finally. after a rewatch i'm pretty confident rogue one is my 2nd favorite star wars thing right behind the christmas special.

and hey maybe captain phasma won't give up so easily this time.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By baka_shinji17

Cool, I guess.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think it's a bit uninspired. It opens with a jumpscare, again for some reason, like the TFA teaser, and then it just shows shots of stuff we already knew was gonna happen. Rey trains with Luke. Poe is running from something. BB-8 exists. Ships are shooting things in space. Jedi need to end or something. Kylo Ren listens to my chemical romance, etc. I just would have preferred the teaser to actually tease something unexpected. Like it ends on Luke attacking Rey or something. Just something to say other than "yeah that's cool footage from the new star wars movie!." The first teaser for TFA gave us things to talk about. "OOH that droid is a ball. OOH that lightsaber looks different. OOH is he a real stormtrooper or what." Would have been cool if this teaser showed us things we didn't expect.

Not being a downer by the way, it's just a trailer. The movie is going to be amazing considering who's directing it. I have all the faith in the world for it. I do hope the next trailers show us more interesting stuff though.

P.S. : THE MOST INTERESTING THING WERE THOSE WEIRD LOOKING SHIPS WITH THE RED SHIT UNDER THEM

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By TheWildCard

Meh, not terribly exciting, although it will be fun to Hamill as Luke again.

Edit: Also that poster sucks.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brackstone

Wow, what a boring nothing of a trailer.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End? But we need at least one Star Wars movie a year for the next 50 consecutive years!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zulululul: Nothing personal but I reckon Rouge One was the worst offender, it was dry as hell, I can't recall a single character name. The director seemed to be going for a grim war epic but that was completely neutered by Disney. We got an entire film dedicated to a tiny, esoteric piece of information from A New Hope.

It's extra puzzling for me because everyone else seems to like it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Well Rey, you mastered mind control of the weak willed after a single minute of light effort, defeated a Sith Lord in combat your first time even holding a lightsaber, learned more about the Millennium Falcon in two minutes than Han knew after a lifetime, redid my whole 'blowing up a Death-Star" origin story, and have nowhere left to progress as a character or person... but we still have two and a half hours to fill as you train to battle the dreaded *snickers* Snoke, who stands in the way of your ultimate destiny: earning Disney another billion dollars. If I die along the way, make sure my loved ones comfort you first... because only the Mary Sue's emotions truly matter. Isn't that right, Chewie?"

*cue title card*

I'll be passing on this one just like I did for Rogue One. The Force Awakens was my last hurrah with this franchise. I fully expect Disney to earn another billion dollars in short order, though. I hope Mark Hamill gets his. The man has definitely earned his due.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zulululul: Nothing personal but I reckon Rouge One was the worst offender, it was dry as hell, I can't recall a single character name. The director seemed to be going for a grim war epic but that was completely neutered by Disney. We got an entire film dedicated to a tiny, esoteric piece of information from A New Hope.

It's extra puzzling for me because everyone else seems to like it.

That's fair. Star Wars has been more miss than hit since the original three.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ezekiel said:
Loading Video...

Yup, looks like the Jedi Order is literally gonna end. Not surprised. I wouldn't train more Jedi either after my father and nephew turned to the dark side. Their way is obviously flawed.

Galactic Empire > First Order

Rebel Alliance > Resistance

Sith > Knights of Ren

Jedi > ????????????

Jedi > J.J. Abrams' Waifu?

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By thecatswhiskers

Force awakens was great, rogue one was great, new trailer was great. Star Wars renaissance continues.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know how any one could say this.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

This trailer did nothing for me... like, at all. Star Wars is probably my favorite franchise of all time, but increasingly I am becoming frustrated with its management under Disney. Too much retreading and worship of the original trilogy. I have very little interest in anyone from Episode 7, I find they are missing some invisible spark that's crucial to a Star Wars character. I know this is just a trailer, but they will have to do something really crazy for me to get invested in this movie. Only problem is, I have no idea what that thing would be...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Already looks significantly more interesting than anything they did in The Force Awakens. Except for stopping the blaster shot mid-air. That was pretty neat.

Rian Johnson hype.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zulululul said:

Don't know how any one could say this.

Mainly by typing on a keyboard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agenta said:

I think this trailer is pretty dang good. Gets you feeling good and excited, without revealing anything about the actual movie. The background voices of Leia, Obi-Wan, and Yoda were a great touch. The idea of hitting on the balance of the force if executed right could be awesome. As someone who was a big fan of the old EU, their philosophical views on the force and the light/darkside were some of the best parts of the story.

@spacefish said:

I can't comment on all Star Wars media, but the movies I feel have been very well executed. I don't watch Rebels, but it seems to be doing well and be engaging. So far with the "new" EU the thing that is falling flat is the novels. There have been 8 I believe and of the 4 I've read none of them really hold a torch to some of the old writing. So I can agree in that aspect that I think that Disney's story group, or whoever they have managing the Star Wars Universe is stifling a lot of the creativity we could see.

Can't deny EP 7 was made but well made in the same way a lot of modern Disney films are, they follow a very strict formula with very few surprises, the lack of a true creative force and the primary motivator so obviously being money makes a noticeable difference. I do genuinely like episode 7, it's a fun film but I'm left with a bitter aftertaste knowing that they are too scared to move the series beyond its own shadow. From the little I have seen Rebels is a worse version of the clone wars. That battlefield game was awful, and the shuttering of Lucasarts (in exchange for the money grabbing dribble we're gonna get from EA) was a mistake. It's not surprising to hear the novels are also pretty mediocre.

Everybody shits on Lucas but he actually cared about crafting interesting new worlds, he bankrolled a bunch of great video games and animated projects. Star wars felt expansive and willing to push forward even during the shitty prequel era, even in the shit films themselves (relatively speaking). All im getting with this new stuff is generic modern scifi tropes fused with the shambling corporate corpse of starwars, we're supposed to get excited about callbacks and tiny changes to already existing designs all set in barren unimaginative environments and in the case of EP 7 a wholesale retelling of the same story. At some point it doesn't matter how good your execution is, it just isn't that exciting.

tldr im salty cuz rogue one was shit and everyone likes it and most of all I miss the good art design from Lucas years.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mellotronrules

@spacefish said:

tldr im salty cuz rogue one was shit and everyone likes it and most of all I miss the good art design from Lucas years.

while i wouldn't go as far as you, count me in the camp that wasn't bowled over by Rogue One. and i take your point about lucas- i hadn't thought about it until you said it, but you're absolutely right- in terms of pure creativity (or taking the series to 'new places'), the prequels totally have the more recent stuff beat. dialogue? ugh, not so much. but imagination? absolutely.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that thinks that was a super bland trailer?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm excited to see Episode 8 but that wasn't a very good trailer.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad the trailer didn't show too much, like most trailers do these days. Let me see it all in the full movie. As a teaser, this works.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ezekiel

@ozzdog12 said:

It answered my main question and confirmed my main prediction, so I'm satisfied. I'm glad it didn't reveal too much. I might go on blackout now and not watch any more trailers until it's out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spacefish said:

while i wouldn't go as far as you, count me in the camp that wasn't bowled over by Rogue One. and i take your point about lucas- i hadn't thought about it until you said it, but you're absolutely right- in terms of pure creativity (or taking the series to 'new places'), the prequels totally have the more recent stuff beat. dialogue? ugh, not so much. but imagination? absolutely.

Yeah, this is something I wish more people would appreciate about Lucas, his desire to fill up the screen with shit was laughed at with good reason, because it's bad form as a director, its bad composition, its confusing but it's indicative of a man who's chasing immersion, he likes weird detail, he wants you to feel there is so much more to his world.

Lightsabers, an entire style of fighting dedicated to light swords, pod racing, clone armies, underwater/ sky cities, crazy force powers, countless iconic ship designs, shifting political powers, crazy aliens and droids. Ideas out the ass, the execution wasn't always the best but fertile ground for an amazing universe full of iconic shit.

That push for new ideas was special and for many it was the magic spark, it's gone and I only really realized it after I saw EP 7.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
@ozzdog12 said:

It answered my main question and confirmed my main prediction, so I'm satisfied. I'm glad it didn't reveal too much. I might go on blackout now and not watch any more trailers until it's out.

Yep completely agree. I was going blackout prior to the trailer but decided against it. Glad I watched it but won't actively seek out much else.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BrainScratch

@spacefish said:

@jeremyf said:

This trailer did nothing for me... like, at all. Star Wars is probably my favorite franchise of all time, but increasingly I am becoming frustrated with its management under Disney. Too much retreading and worship of the original trilogy. I have very little interest in anyone from Episode 7, I find they are missing some invisible spark that's crucial to a Star Wars character. I know this is just a trailer, but they will have to do something really crazy for me to get invested in this movie. Only problem is, I have no idea what that thing would be...

@ozzdog12 said:

This is exactly how I feel.

I was a huge Star Wars fan but both the trailer and the poster feel extremely bland and uninteresting. I'm getting the same vibe I've been getting from every Disney movie or DIsney-owned thing, it lacks soul and it lacks artistic expression, everything feels samey.

I hope the movie isn't as disappointing as Force Awakens and Rogue One were but after watching the trailer I'm not that optimistic. Well, at least Rogue One had nice cinematography and Force Awakens started good. If The Last Jedi has those elements maybe not all is lost. But at the same time, Finn and Poe were the only characters I kinda cared about on Force Awakens and they seem to be getting a bit left behind on this one, so I don't know...

As for the poster, I think the giant faces completely ruin what could've been a decent poster. Feels like some businessman looked at the original poster and asked to put the giant faces there because he thought people needed to recognize it a bit more but at the same time it feels like an average fan-made poster.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red text, dark middle chapter confirmed. I hope this is more original than TFA, I like the universe but I find the movies dont tell very interesting stories.

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agenta said:

@spacefish said:

Can't deny EP 7 was made but well made in the same way a lot of modern Disney films are, they follow a very strict formula with very few surprises, the lack of a true creative force and the primary motivator so obviously being money makes a noticeable difference. I do genuinely like episode 7, it's a fun film but I'm left with a bitter aftertaste knowing that they are too scared to move the series beyond its own shadow. From the little I have seen Rebels is a worse version of the clone wars. That battlefield game was awful, and the shuttering of Lucasarts (in exchange for the money grabbing dribble we're gonna get from EA) was a mistake. It's not surprising to hear the novels are also pretty mediocre.

Everybody shits on Lucas but he actually cared about crafting interesting new worlds, he bankrolled a bunch of great video games and animated projects. Star wars felt expansive and willing to push forward even during the shitty prequel era, even in the shit films themselves (relatively speaking). All im getting with this new stuff is generic modern scifi tropes fused with the shambling corporate corpse of starwars, we're supposed to get excited about callbacks and tiny changes to already existing designs all set in barren unimaginative environments and in the case of EP 7 a wholesale retelling of the same story. At some point it doesn't matter how good your execution is, it just isn't that exciting.

Can't disagree with anything you've said. Really agree with the expansive feel. This new universe feels small whereas the pre-Disney universe was extremely expansive, even if it had some bad parts. My hope is that TFA was them attempting to not pull a TPM, and playing it safe and from here on out it'll be much more about the new. If this trend continues, with little outside of the formula, I'll be disappointed and would have preferred to keep the old EU. All in all, I'm excited that there could possibly be an expansive new universe that I get to experience from inception.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably see this one like I saw episode 7, during an Airplane ride with nothing else to do. After seeing 7 that way, I was convinced that was the proper way to see it. I would have been quite disappointed if I spent time and money to see a fancy episode 4 re-skin in theaters.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought it was kinda boring to be honest. I thought Force Awakens was okay, but it felt too safe. "Remember all your favorite Star Wars shit? Well here it is in another, but this time competent, movie." This looks like it'll turn out exactly the same way.

I will say though that I hope Kylo Ren continues to just murder everyone from the original trilogy because that's funny to me for some reason.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a fine trailer.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I've been burned too much in the last 2 years when getting excited for the big blockbusters (Episode VII included). It's an OK trailer with an awesome poster. I will still see it obviously.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rahf

Teaser, remember. This is not supposed to amplify the excitement, but rather tickle the interest.

toopopplio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By toopopplio

Didn't like the trailer that much, but I'm not really a big fan of Star Wars in the first place. Kinda like some of the older movies, and kind of like the two newest ones, but never loved the saga as a whole. Hoping this will be the one that does it for me. Liked pretty much all of Rian Johnson's previous work.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

My guess is Luke has been studying the Jedi history and keeps seeing how Jedi constantly turn to the dark side potentially because the Jedi Order always forces Jedi to suppress important emotions like anger, love, fear. He's probably saying the Jedi need to end the way they are and he's going to train Rey to balance the light side and the dark side. If that's how it goes I think that's a cool idea.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ezekiel

@cjduke said:

My guess is Luke has been studying the Jedi history and keeps seeing how Jedi constantly turn to the dark side potentially because the Jedi Order always forces Jedi to suppress important emotions like anger, love, fear. He's probably saying the Jedi need to end the way they are and he's going to train Rey to balance the light side and the dark side. If that's how it goes I think that's a cool idea.

Yeah, I have the same prediction. He might have learned a few things at the First Jedi Temple, perhaps by meditating and letting the energy there flow into him. But now my guesses are getting kind of wild and baseless, so I'll stop.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: i liked what i saw of the characters but they needed just a minute or two more for each to flesh them out. there was an ensemble cast of space marine toughs in aliens and even with limited screen time they all mostly ended up memorable, so i guess there's a way. rogue one was almost there. i still enjoyed what i saw of them, even came around on cassian on a 2nd viewing. and much preferred them to the lack of effort archetypes and nostalgia leaning of ep 7.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Whitestripes09

Not a very exciting trailer and I'm not sure about the implications about Luke saying that the Jedi have to end. It takes away the meaning in the original trilogy when he announces himself to be a Jedi like, his father before him.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not crazy stoked about this trailer, probably because it uses so much TFA imagery, and I wasn't super over the moon about that movie.

I like the idea of getting rid of the Jedi and going for a more balanced, dark and light living in harmony within you together, approach. Dark side and light side just promotes conflict, which has fucked up that universe.