• 80 results
John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By John1912

I had stumbled upon this site about a year ago looking for something in a physics forum.  Someone there apparently tried to disway them in their thinking the earth is flat. It didnt work if your wondering..  Thought I would share some of the craziness.  Sooo, yea it would seem to be an impossibility for something like this to still be going on in this day and age of technological marvels, but there it is...There is really no need to go bother these ppl, but ill copy a few gems, and link the FAQ for you to read

Q: "What about satellites? How do they orbit the Earth?"  

A: Since   sustained   spaceflight is not possible, satellites cannot orbit the Earth. The signals we supposedly receive from them are either broadcast from towers or any number of possible pseudolites. However, temporary space-flight is possible. 

Q: "Why are other planets round, but not the Earth?" 

A: The Earth is not one of the other planets. The Earth is special and unlike the other bodies in numerous ways. 

Q: "What about the stars, sun and moon and other planets? Are they flat too? What are they made of?" 

A: The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, rotate at a height of 3,000 miles above sea level. As they are spotlights, they only illuminate certain places. This explains why there are nights and days on Earth. The stars are at a height of 3,100 miles above sea level, which is as far as from San Francisco to Boston. In the dark energy model, the celestial bodies are spherical and are made of ordinary matter. These spheres are being held above the Earth by DE 

Q: "What is underneath the Earth?"

A: This is unknown. Most FE proponents believe that it is generally composed of rocks. Please note that in Hinduism, the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.  
Please note?  WTF? Speechless.....Fucking speechless... ROFL...

Q: "What would happen if you jump off the disc's edge?" 

A: You would become directly affected by UA as the Earth is, creating the illusion that you are standing next to it. 

Q: "Why doesn't water run off the Earth?" 

A: There is a vast "ice wall" that keeps the water where it is. This explains why you can find a vast plane of ice as you travel southward. The wall is roughly 150ft high. In the McIntyre model, however, the height of the wall increases further as one moves toward the edge of the world. 

Q: "How come the travel time by air from South America to New Zealand, via the polar route, is SHORTER than the travel time going North first and then South again?" 

A: The airline pilots are guided by their GPS. Remember that satellites do not exist. The replacement data given from pseudolites deliberately throwing distorting all the paths to make it the flights take different times. The curvature of these paths can add or subtract great distances without the overall turning being obvious to someone traveling it.

Q: "If you go directly south won't you eventually fall off the edge of the Earth?" 

A: Yes, you will. In order to use this fact as proof you need to record a video of someone flying directly south around the world without falling off the edge. Furthermore you need to prove that your navigational equipment allows you to travel directly south without deviating  

Q: "NASA and other world space agencies have pictures of the Earth from space, and in those pictures the Earth is clearly a globe; in this day and age, hasn't it been proven beyond any doubt that the Earth is round?"

A: NASA and the rest of the world's space agencies who claim to have been to space are involved in a Conspiracy to keep the shape of the Earth hidden.  The pictures are faked using simple imaging software.  

Q: "How did NASA create these images with the computer technology available at the time?" 

A: NASA did not send rockets into space; instead, they spent a fraction of their funding on developing increasingly advanced computers and imaging software to cover their lies.

So yea....Fun and interesting to read I think! Thoughts? 

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=1324.0

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

HAVE YOU BEEN TO SPACE!? Huh! Huh!?

So you wouldn't know, would you?

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Um, it is flat. o_0

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Wow, that is insane. People like that exist? Really? 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

This is a satire. Like Landover Baptist and the similar.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Silver-Streak

@MrKlorox said:

This is a satire. Like Landover Baptist and the similar.

Man, I really, really, hope so.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By McGhee

That website will even tell you that it is not the original Flat Earth Society. The original founder of that society was totally serious in his beliefs. Most of the flat earth sites you see around are done as jokes, and I think this one is as well.

I can tell you that my great grandfather was born somewhere around 1900 - 1905. He didn't even know the date himself, but he died around 10 years ago somewhere in his 90s. He grew up in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and he was a farmer and a moonshiner. He later "found Jesus" and became a Pentecostal preacher. He firmly believed all his life that the world was flat, that the moon landing was a hoax, etc. The numbers of people like him are dwindling simply because they're all dying out. I know some real ignorant hillbillies, but none of them are that ignorant any more.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sanity

I want what there smoking.

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VanTesla

Some groups still think the earth is flat, some think human and Dinosaurs coexisted at one point, some think Scientology, many don't believe in science, many believe their race is superior, Mormons, and etc...
John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John1912

Heres where I originally saw the link.  Looks like if I read some of the replies I might have know better. LOL, looking over the site quickly makes it look very convincing as being real...Far as topics being discussed in forums etc.....

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=129832

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VanTesla
@BestUsernameEver
Many people still believe in magic (in modern societies).
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By BigBoss1911

The ice wall thing is great.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

People still think the earth is round?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

@BeachThunder said:

People still think the earth is round?

Yeah, it's totally a trapezoid.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@EpicSteve said:

HAVE YOU BEEN TO SPACE!? Huh! Huh!?

So you wouldn't know, would you?

I've been to space several times. The Earth is round...and spherical. It's not some flat disc with a bunch of ice walls. Earth is not a video game, people.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Its obviously flat, if it was round it would roll.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think these are jokes.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dany
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By triple07

I don't know, I mean sure they seem pretty crazy but its not like they're hurting anyone so I wouldn't pay them any mind. If they want to believe the earth is flat and there is some huge conspiracy hiding this fact then that's their business. Now I don't think I would want one in a position of power but still I can't exactly prove that the world is a sphere with 100% certainty so what the hell. Also I've certainly heard more insane theories so at least they're not the craziest people.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

lol at that. people still think  that kind of stuff.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hoossy

the earth looks flat on my flat laptop screen... hmmmmm

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daveyo520

I am pretty sure it is a site for trolls trolling trolls.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

We're all living in one Tessier-Ashpool Schrön Loop nestled behind the ear of their myriad incestual clones who are asleep in vats maintained on a privately owned space station. There is no Earth.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Skald

I always assumed the Flat Earth Debate was more philosophical in nature than scientific. 
That makes it mildly amusing.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I'm pretty sure that Earth is square, just sayin'.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sionweeks

I really hope this isn't real. It makes me want to beat someone.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

You wouldn't really know unless you traveled around the world. And everyone that did, probably has to be in on something, and if they tell someone who hasn't traveled, they'd be killed. Dun dun dunnnn. No ha, but I'm pretty sure there are some correctness to some of the conspiracies out there.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kyle

Makes sense to me. The Earth feels flat, so it probably is flat... AND NASA, every other space organization, air travel organization, and educational organization on the planet flat disc body are all involved in a vast conspiracy to hide the truth from normal citizens for some unknown reason.

Occam's razor, people.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead

If it wasn't flat, the ball that's on my balcony would have rolled away by now.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Portis
A: There is a vast "ice wall" that keeps the water where it is. This explains why you can find a vast plane of ice as you travel southward. The wall is roughly 150ft high. In the McIntyre model, however, the height of the wall increases further as one moves toward the edge of the world.

Are. You. Fucking. Serious.

NASA, take one of these dimwits into space with you so they can take a look at Earth from orbit.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By time allen

the earth is not round but oblong 

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DeeGee

Oh people who think that forum is real, you make me smile. Yet it's a sad smile, because it means you're the exact type of idiot that you are trying to insult.

Satire, folks.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By beforet

God, what idiots. It's so clear that the Earth is a giant Time Cube.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By Castiel

@BestUsernameEver said:

Wow, that is insane. People like that exist? Really?

Yeah I know right? Seriously does some people really think that the earth is round!?!

Get outta here that is just crazy talk.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By EvilDingo

Teach the controversy!

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#37  Edited By wwfundertaker

People are just plain dumb.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By penguindust

Samuel Shelton
Samuel Shelton
The Flat Earth Society is not a fake or trolling group (at least the real one isn't).  They are real and their organization goes back to 1956 when it was founded by Englishman, Samuel Shelton.  Charles K. Johnson, a Californian took over the International Flat Earth Society after Shelton's death in 1971.   The movement rose from Universal Zetetic Society which was inspired by the writings of Samuel Birley Rowbotham aka "Parallax" in the 19th Century.
The Earth sits at the center of an inverted bowl with holds the stars
The Earth sits at the center of an inverted bowl with holds the stars
For the record, it's is theorized that most educated people have understood that the Earth is spherical since the 6th Century BC.
Somnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Somnus

There are a lot of people who belive that the earth is flat , and there are people who believe in other crazy stuff just like that. They are mostly religious fundamentalists who take the bible literally.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By laserbolts

This is some good old fashioned trolling.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Big deal, people can believe whatever the fuck they want to.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By FireBurger

This is clearly fake.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
@SeriouslyNow said:

We're all living in one Tessier-Ashpool Schrön Loop nestled behind the ear of their myriad incestual clones who are asleep in vats maintained on a privately owned space station. There is no Earth.

OMG. DUDE. WRITE A BOOK. This is so amazing sounding. Do it. I'll co-author. Go! Go!
biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By biospank

@dudy80: How do you know they are smoking something? because there is alot of psychoactive substances that can cause confusion, confabulation, phantom behaviors, and lifelike conversations with imagined people aka psychotic episode.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

hey guys.............this forums dumb
Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By Spoonybard37

Psh the Earth is flat, how else could Bigfoot and I go fishing on the edge of the world tomorrow? 
Hmmmm?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By valrog

And now someone tell me that opinions can't be wrong...

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Arabes

Its not trolling, people believe in all kinds of stupid shit. I met a guy a few months back who believed that as he was born on a sunday then he was better than people who were born on other days. he was quite serious about this which I found very worrying as he was my new boss' partner and it was my first day of work. Then he had a fight with his boyfriend and threatened him with a chair. Then he threatened to call the cops on me as I didn't technically have a work visa at the time so I legged it and moved 500 miles as a precaution.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By dagas

People have known the earth is round for thousands of years. It doesn't take more than ship technology to figure it out as you see the ship disappear behind the horizon. It's been known for years that the grade school text books that tell you that people used to think the earth is flat are wrong yet the notion remains. The industrial age brought with it such hubris and a view of pre-industrial people as retarded. The circumference of the Earth was measured in Greece about 2500 years ago with only a few percent margin of error. Of course stupid people as well as smart people have always existed so I'm sure someone has believed that the planet is flat during any age in history including ours.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By swoxx

Uhm...you're telling me the earth isn't flat? That means I could have gone on that drinking trip. Damn it mom..