Is it still viable to collect DVDs now that Blu-Rays are becoming more and more prevalent?

• 147 results
Bratcher_Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bratcher_Lev
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Burns098356GX

With Blurays still costing over 30$ for a new disc, no, its not viable yet.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I stopped collecting dvds a long time ago. Not only is blue ray players cheaper now, the movies are cheaper too. Dvds looks aweful on a hdtv, the resolution of 480p doesn't match 1080p and will look blurry. It's pointless even with an upconvert dvd player a blue ray player will provide. It's like using your car on first gear, or your hdtv as it's worst. Or using normal cable compared to sattlelite or hd cable, your missing out on alot because of misconceptions you don't need blue ray and dvds are good enough. You won't know unless you actually get a blue ray movie and see it for yourself.

hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hai2u

i dislike blue ray but its probably time to ditch standard dvds.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I fear change, I'll stick with DVDs.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

dead to me. since i got my hdtv anything that isn't hd is u-g-l-y. there are some good deals on blurays, like no country for old men, eastern promises, and a history of violence for 30 bucks all together at bestbuy.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

it's dead to me since i have a hdtv and a ps3. i bought avatar it only $21. something. i should have bought a 1080p one though :( i got 720, 1080i.

GMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By GMoney

There's really no reason to stick with DVDs, as Blu-rays will only become more and more prevalent.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

I buy DVDs if they are really cheap, I buy BluRays only on Sale and typically online.

Bratcher_Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bratcher_Lev

Then again, I still have my HD DVD drive leeching off my 360, so I can always hit the garage sales for HD DVD bargains. 
 amirite? AMIRITE?

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fynne

Blue Rays are too expensive.  If they were the same price, or marginally more expensive, I'd consider switching.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

There's no way in hell I'm paying $30 for a movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not buying anything right now. Dvd's feel very outdated, but I have no desire to repurchase my entire collection for €30,- a movie. That's just insane.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RoujinX

If you think Jerry Bruckheimer is a cinematic genius, go buy your ass a blu-ray player.
Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Toxin066

It is still totally viable to collect DVDs. That's what most of my collection is, and I don't plan on changing until I have to.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bhhawks78

Collecting any physical media always seemed ridiculous to me.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Okay, now the misconceptions are here. $30 per new blue ray movie, yeah, a few years ago it was $30 for a new dvd movie, no difference. Second of all, the I have my whole collection on dvd, guess what I probally have like twice the dvd movies you do and you don't have to buy every movie in blue ray, just buy the better looking ones with more action, like the matrix and avatar. There is no need to replace your entire collection and your new blue ray player at a measly $150 will upscaled your old dvds, so you want to watch non action stuff at 1080p get digital cable or satalite. At least you can watch your comedy movies in dvd and action movies in blue ray. The difference is night and day. Lastly at best buy, there seems to be alot of old movies for $10-$15 on blue ray, which will make it the same price you paid for alot of your dvds before on sale. We are moving to 3d already and you still haven't considered making the switch using your old outdated dvds as an excuse it's good enough? That's like not wearing glasses and saying it looks good enough, however you lack the resolution and the detail.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

As someone with 400+ DVDs, Blu-Rays do nothing but scare me. I've decided though that until Blu-Ray becomes the standard to stick with my hoarding of DVDs.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ch13696

Every once in awhile I'll pick up a DVD. I usually just rip it to my PC and play it on my iPhone. Blu-Rays are cheap now. You can find them between $10 and $25. I managed to get Transformers Revenge of the Fallen for $13 at Wal-Mart because they're trying to get people to buy blu-ray players. 

And a little tip for everyone that has a PS3. The blu-ray player in the system is running on less Hz than your standard blu-ray player. So if you have an extra $100, pick up a regular blu-ray player.

Gul_Torgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gul_Torgo

Things like Netflix streaming and Hulu did far more to stop my collecting DVDs than Blu-Ray did.  It just doesn't make sense to have a hoard of physical media for anything but real favorites.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Godlyawesomeguy: If you can afford to watch comedies on blue ray, don't downgrade to dvds. It still looks fantastic, maybe your not getting the most value compared to an action movie, it's still very sharp and worth it. 

@ch13696: Less Hz? what do you mean? how many hz is it outputting? I have a 120Hz hdtv, I hope it's not affected. Sometimes it's good to watch a blue ray movie at 24Hz if you want that film like look. However are you saying the ps3 is outputting at less than 60Hz?

You can rip blue ray movies btw and reduce the size, however that is something we can't discuss in detail here.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By AgentJ

Absolutely. I still do.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentJ
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Okay, now the misconceptions are here. $30 per new blue ray movie, yeah, a few years ago it was $30 for a new dvd movie, no difference. Second of all, the I have my whole collection on dvd, guess what I probally have like twice the dvd movies you do and you don't have to buy every movie in blue ray, just buy the better looking ones with more action, like the matrix and avatar. There is no need to replace your entire collection and your new blue ray player at a measly $150 will upscaled your old dvds, so you want to watch non action stuff at 1080p get digital cable or satalite. At least you can watch your comedy movies in dvd and action movies in blue ray. The difference is night and day. Lastly at best buy, there seems to be alot of old movies for $10-$15 on blue ray, which will make it the same price you paid for alot of your dvds before on sale. We are moving to 3d already and you still haven't considered making the switch using your old outdated dvds as an excuse it's good enough? That's like not wearing glasses and saying it looks good enough, however you lack the resolution and the detail.

"
I thought new dvds were $20, at least around where I am. 30 bucks is certainly more than I ever paid for a new DVD.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee
@TheCreamFilling said:
"I fear change, I'll stick with DVDs. "
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@AgentJ: Have fun with your 480p rez, it's so low, it's unacceptable for a 1080p hdtv and even on a regular crt, it has bigger black bars. It's not a good resolution, it's like comparing a wii game to a pc game at 1080p and telling yourself that it's the same. You may pay less, however your getting three times less resolution.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgentJ
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @AgentJ: Have fun with your 480p rez, it's so low, it's unacceptable for a 1080p hdtv and even on a regular crt, it has bigger black bars. It's not a good resolution, it's like comparing a wii game to a pc game at 1080p and telling yourself that it's the same. You may pay less, however your getting three times less resolution. "
I haven't had any problem with DVDs on my 1080 tv, even without a Blu Ray player (which supposedly upgrades DVDs?). That sort of thing has never been a big deal for me. I've never minded playing Wii games because I didn't mind playing games last gen either. Hell I still buy old games that look like crap by todays standards and I still enjoy them.
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By chstupid

When I see blu rays in a bargin bend I will all for it.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@AgentJ: Or course, you simply don't know what your missing. It's alot more detailed, you can practically see everyone's pores in blue ray movies at close ups. Everyone looks sharper and colors are more accurate, they look almost real. Something you can't understand unless you watch a whole movie yourself. I'm seriously considering taking some screenshots of my 120hz hdtv with blue ray to persuade others to at least give it a chance. All you need is a 1080p hdtv which most should have and a ps3 which is practically a free blue ray player. Unfortunetly no one can be told what blue ray is, you have to see it for yourself.
Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Yes, its sill viable to collect DVDs.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

As long as you'll be able to play DVDs in blu ray players and the such, I don't think DVDs will die. They are cheaper and for people like me who don't give a crap about seeing the pores on Viggo Mortenson's face, the change in quality isn't necessary. 

I find that films are best when they are over and you get to reflect on them, think about them. Now the human mind's memory is not in HD, when you think back to a movie you seen you will just remember scenes, the feeling of the movie... not images in 1080p. 

For instance, I am currently watching the TV show Oz over the internet via some streaming websites. The quality isn't that great, but you know what? That honestly doesn't detract from the experience because when it's over I'm still going "Wow, that was awesome." and when I think back to it, the quality isn't an issue in my brain. Just the scenes and the feeling of the show, like I said before.  

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By septim

I remember being in a Half Price books and watching someone turning in a gigantic collection of VHS. I remember thinking how sad it was that this persons investment turned into a pile of shit they got pennies on the dollar for.

Constant format change has made me stop collecting most physical media. Don't get me wrong I still buy on occasion, but I only buy what I consider "the essentials." Netflix covers the rest.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JerichoBlyth

DVD's make for smaller files to download...whoops

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who pays $30 for a blu-ray either hasn't gone shopping since blu-ray launched, or is a fool. You can get them for a lot cheaper.

But anyways, it is still viable to collect DVDs. There's some movies that still come out on DVD only with no blu-ray.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By agentboolen

I stop buying movies once i got a netflix account.  At this point i'm to spoiled to watch a movie more then once.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37  Edited By damnboyadvance

Considering Blu-Ray players can also play DVDs, a DVD collection will still work.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

DVDs just look progressively worse to me. I only get DVDs for TV shows now because they're hella cheap, and because older TV shows looked like crap anyway and won't look good in HD.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By toowalrus

I love Blu-ray, but I'm forcing myself not to horde movies this time around. After all, in 15 years everything's going to be super-HD digital somethings anyway.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#40  Edited By sjschmidt93
@Burns098356GX said:
" With Blurays still costing over 30$ for a new disc, no, its not viable yet. "
Stop living in 2008. Most new blu-rays are the same prices as new DVDs, sometimes cheaper, sometimes a little more.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GreggD
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @Burns098356GX said:
" With Blurays still costing over 30$ for a new disc, no, its not viable yet. "
Stop living in 2008. Most new blu-rays are the same prices as new DVDs, sometimes cheaper, sometimes a little more. "
The MSRP's are still quite high. It's up to the store to discount the product, and not everyone does.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#42  Edited By jeff

I'm currently in the process of trying to get rid of my DVDs, or at least box them up and put them in the garage. They just take up too much space. I'm not looking to replace them with Blu-Rays or anything, if anything, I'll replace my old movie-buying habit with Netflix and that sort of stuff. I just don't need to own most movies.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By ch13696
@HitmanAgent47: I heard from my friend that it outputs at 24Hz. He bought a second blu-ray player that outputs at, I think, 120 Hz and he says it looks a lot better.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Captain_Insano

Where I am, Blu-Rays are significantly more expensive than DVD's although the gap is slowly closing. If there is a new movie out that I like I will now pick it up on Blu-Ray, however, I like to be able to take movies with me (to a mates place, for use at work etc) and not everyone has Blu-Ray players yet so DVD's are a more viable option seeing as they work and upscale in a Blu-Ray player, whereas a Blu-Ray will only work in a Blu-Ray player. Of course they look better but it is really not all that important to me, so with buying new movies I still do about half half.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@ch13696: Well my hdtv automatically outputs in 120hz if I choose to regardless of the source. Also there is actually a 24Hz mode under videos for the ps3, however dispite that, I think like most blue ray players if you turn that to off, it will output at 60hz by default. 

It's a newer feature than 60Hz, the idea was that most movies are filmed at exactly 24Hz, choosing that option the movie will play exactly like how it was recorded.
RareDropRadio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By RareDropRadio

I'm more than happy to watch older films on DVD. That being said, I will buy newer films on blu-ray. I disagree that there is a huge picture difference between blu-rays and DVD, particularly when DVDs are upscaled on a proper HD television.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By keyhunter

Blu Ray is still totally stupid. Especially now that hard drives are like 85 bucks for a terrabyte.
Fucking retards should've stuck with HD DVD.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DukesT3

I only buy blu-ray now. Pretty cheap nowadays. Especially on Amazon. $14 for Fight Club! Tyler says do it. 

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Sure, why not?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cspiffo
@HitmanAgent47 said:

"@ch13696: Well my hdtv automatically outputs in 120hz if I choose to regardless of the source. Also there is actually a 24Hz mode under videos for the ps3, however dispite that, I think like most blue ray players if you turn that to off, it will output at 60hz by default.  It's a newer feature than 60Hz, the idea was that most movies are filmed at exactly 24Hz, choosing that option the movie will play exactly like how it was recorded. "

That's true but you're missing the fact that projectors use to triple the the number of frames to reduce image flicker.  So a film in a theater that doesn't use a digital projector runs at 72hz.  This is a little known fact about film.  The whole 24hz thing is more of a gimmick than anything when you have 120hz sets that can just hold a 24hz filmed movie frame for 5 frames.  both functions remove the need for 3:2 pull down which was the ultimate goal. 

Anyway, back to the OP's question.  Both Bluray and DVD are dead technologies at this point.  People just don't see it yet.  The next couple years will prove that.  Bluray was too late to the game to become a truely viable next step.  

Most of my DVD collection is already on my computer now and I'm tempted every day to just buy or rent the digital version from Zune, Itunes or Unbox.