I'm 18 and have no idea what to do at the barbershop.

• 107 results
Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I don't know what to ask the stylist to do with my hair. I know its weird that I've never been to the barber. My dad has been cutting my hair for all these years, but I figure its time to grow up and go to a professional. My problem is I have no idea what to ask them to do with my hair. I just want them to make it shorter sort of. I don't know what style of hairs there are or which one I want.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Find a picture of the hair style you want and show it to them.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Tell them to shave it all off with a #1 guard.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rattail.

You're welcome.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have the same problem, and I usually tell them to "do whatever they want." I wouldn't advise this. You'd better just show them a picture.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you just want your hair shorter? Just tell them you only want a trim and to leave your hair the same and just cut it back a bit. They can handle that, or they aren't worth a flip as a barber.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Hunter5024

I just tell her "have fun" it has not backfired yet.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show 'em a picture. If you just want it shorter just ask for a trim.
Even if it's a shitty hair cut it'll grow back and you can either go to a different barber shop or go back to the same place with a point of reference for how you like your hair.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sides and the back with a #3 and everything else trimmed with scissors. If they ask what length up top, say finger length. This is the official generic haircut. The only way you will look stupid asking for this haircut is if your hair is already shorter than this when you walk into the place.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Say like, #7 on the sides and scissor cut on the top.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

ask the barber "i'd like to have a haircut today" and hope they respond "which one?" Laugh boisterously for a few minutes, then quickly run away and hide.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Just ask for what you want. I've been going to a barber for most of my life and I always just ask for "shorter"(with roughly how short that means). Turns out they know what to do(though, if you take the vague route, I would ask for a little longer than you think you want and go from there, sometimes it can wind up shorter than you want). If you don't want any kind of style, just the same thing you have but shorter, you don't need any fancy terms or pictures.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Cubidog1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably ask for a trim, unless I decide to be spontaneous and get some other haircut. Doubt I will do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joke answer: Ask her to style your hair like a "insert name of your favourite Pokemon"

Real answer: Just say "Shorter and thinner." It's what i've done for 20+ years and i'm never mad or disappointed with how it turns out for me, and it gives you room to make changes as they work your hair.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You should probably just avoid haircuts alltogether and grow it out for several years.

AwkwardMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only advice I can give you is to take a picture of your hair when you like how it looks and then next time show it to them.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Three on the sidea and fingerlength on top. Generic as can be. Its what i did before i started cutting my own hair.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@cubidog1:

Do you have a Great Clips near you?

They are not a bad starter place for this kinda thing. They have a "menu" of numbered haircuts they can show you and you can pick which one you want.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you absolutely need to I'm a big fan of a more bohemian look.

This is more or less what I have, although I added very light lowlight of red to it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yXM_V2HEfFY/Ty0C3mEBcKI/AAAAAAAAASY/dJgt1pMTeqQ/s1600/medium-hair-styles-for-men-2012+(6).jpg

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have books with pictures. Just point to what one you want.

Or find something on your phone or print something out. I showed my stylist a picture of a male model and said "I liek dis, hurr."

Or just tell them you want the same cut, but shorter.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey duder! The best place to look is actually YouTube. Search "how to talk to your barber". Art of manliness has a really good video about that, and there are a bunch more too. Also look up the user thenomadbarber. He's got a really good series over not just hair styles but also shaving.

If you also need shaving advice look up geofatboy on YouTube.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just ask them to trim you back a bit. It doesn't sound like you have it specialized in any way so it shouldn't be an issue. If you have a phone, maybe have some pictures of yourself with short hair for reference. At the end of the day just remember that it will (probably) grow back.

Oh, and when you've found someone you like that cuts your hair satisfactorily, try sticking with them. It's pretty convenient to just walk in and ask for "the usual."

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell them you want the Macklemore. Everyone has that one now.

mattclassic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

I just tell her "have fun" it has not backfired yet.

Seriously, this. There's a reason why they have their job: they know what they're doing when it comes to hair. You'd be surprised the amount of schooling that goes into their work. They'll figure out the shape of your face and skull and know what works right with it.

Also, don't be a jerk, tip generously.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's not weird. My Wife cuts my hair. I am 25 and it's still awkward to go to the salon/barbershop.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't have any advice for you on how to get your first haircut, but once they get it right, make sure to ask what number it is. The number on the guard for the trimmer is the universal language of haircuts.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@cubidog1: If you want it shorter, just ask for a trim. Most stylists know what to do. If you want something new, ask for the hair book thing @wjb mentioned or bring a picture.

Easy as that. Don't worry about being awkward and weird. People in the service industry have seen way weirder shit than a shy guy who has never been to a hair salon.

aesop369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By aesop369

Assuming you are a dude. Start with asking for a 3 on the sides and a trim up the top. That's a good general start and you can figure out what works best for you from there

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any advice for you on how to get your first haircut, but once they get it right, make sure to ask what number it is. The number on the guard for the trimmer is the universal language of haircuts.

This is true from my experience. I went with "just clean it up, I like it pretty short cause I always wait way too long between haircuts" until one of the guys at my barber shop told me he was using a #3.5. Over the years most of the hair up top ran the fuck away somewhere so it's just 3.5 on the sides and clean up whatever's flying away on top. Also go to a real barber shop where they do a good job getting the back of your neck with a straight razor, man that's nice.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

They usually have pictures if you cant decide or you can ask their opinion if you're feeling really brave.

I don't go to the barber- haven't since 2002 or so. I just cut all my hair off when it gets too long. I like it short anyway- it's pointless to spend $20 just to style it when all really want is for it to be short.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Ahh, I remember those times.

You can 1) Ask them to do whatever they think looks good.

2) Awkwardly fumble through a haircut, giving directions as you go, and stopping when you think things look right.

The one thing I will definitely recommend is that when you find a haircut you like, ask the person to notate how to do your hair in their computer system. Then every time you go in, just mention that there should be directions in the system for your hair. Don't be a dick about it, though.

Make sure to tip well. Like 30-40%.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same problem as my mom cut my hair all through high school (and sometimes even now). Luckily my hair is simple and I just go for a buzz cut. I also started cutting my own hair since it's so easy. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, I'd recommend just getting a picture or seeing if they have pictures available.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 18 and have also stopped going to my Father for hair cuts, now my gf shaves my head instead.

Evan223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For about two years I had a permed mullet, it was great, so ask for that.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Touch them on the shoulder.

Avatar image for inappropriate_touchscreen
inappropriate_touchscreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I'd just ask the barber to "cut it short" and he'll just trim my hair while still keeping the general shape.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@cubidog1: I had this problem till I was 17. I have settled with saying exactly this.

BARBER: Hello, what can I do for you today?

ME: I'd like a number 3, back and sides and... alot off the top, I'm not sure how much?

barber proceeds to flip back some of the top hair to see its height the grabs a chuck then looks back into the mirror

BARBER: Maybe an 1 inch and a bit off the top.

ME: Yeah sure, thank you.

silence... I think they know not to have small talk with an Indian guy wearing glasses though. Unless your in a geeky area.

time passes and the hair is cut

BARBER: Would you like any Gel in it?

ME: No thank you :)

Barber grabs the mirror and proceeds to show me the side of the back of my head.

I look at the mirror of a 1 second then smile and nod. He shows the other side and I nod again then say.

ME: Thank you very much, how much do I owe you?

For me the small amount of anxiety comes from the fact that for many people a haircut isn't a process, it's a style thing, a presentation thing. Then here I come along not giving a fuck. But you've got to remember that Barber's know that some people just need their haircut shorter than it already is and they will work with that. So don't worry too much. That being said I still make sure I go when it isn't busy.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Male pattern baldness seems to be dictating what I can and can't do with my hair, although I've never changed my haircut since I was a child.

wariomona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been cutting my own hair for the past 3 years and I've never even considered going back to a hairdresser since. It's cheaper and no one can understand what haircut you want better than yourself.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ask to have your head shaven. Afterwards, regularly shave it yourself. Then, never return to a barbershop ever again.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not cut your own hair?

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

I agree with everybody here who says tell the barber to "Have Fun", with one minor alteration:

I say YOU should have fun with it. I spent my teenage years growing my hair out and refusing to get it cut whenever the option was presented. One of the most fun parts of my 20's has been doing the inverse and getting really silly and interesting haircuts that involve taking hair away. Also with a military application processing, I have to enjoy having the freedom to do whatever I like with my hair because the moment basic rolls around, I'll have a lot less leeway.

I can't emphasize how cool it is to try for a hairstyle you never thought you'd pull off and find it looks pretty badass. And hey, if worst comes to worst, just shave it all off, look like a punk rocker for a couple of months and then try again later.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 26 and I have never had my hair cut by anyone as an adult. Best way of doing things.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#45 MattyFTM  Moderator

I grew my hair long for several years because I had a mild phobia of the barbers. I didn't particularly want to grow it long, but I also didn't want to go to the barbers.

Only got it cut when I had a job interview and I figured that having a big messy mop on my head was probably a bad idea.

I still get it cut far less frequently than I should. I get it cut #4 all over (which is a little too short for my liking, but it's simple and easy to ask for) then let it grow for like 5 months before I get it cut again.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#46 sweep  Moderator

Fake your own death.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47 MattyFTM  Moderator

@sweep: Is there anything to which that isn't your answer?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be bald and go bald .

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Find a picture of the hair style you want and show it to them.

Yep, if you know the name of the style it may help too.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50 sweep  Moderator

@mattyftm: Is there any problem which it cannot solve?