Gotta draw a historical battle scene for assignment. Ideas?

• 81 results
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#51  Edited By citizenkane

Battle of the Hydaspes

Features ancient Greeks and Macedonians in an exotic jungle environment against what were considered aliens to them with fucking war elephants.

That's right.  War elephants.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Jaserno
@armaan8014: Sounds brilliant dude. I think you will excel at this assignment. The amount of effort you're already putting in is incredible. Maybe mix them all up, or do a few, just to prove to the teachers the scope you looked at. That's if you can't decide on just one. 
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

All you need to do now is to buy the overpriced dolls and tell the teacher that you thought about it first and they stole your project idea.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The battle for Troy?  The one with Achilles and the trojan horse and all that jazz.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By WalkerTR77

Go with something modern, Gulf war or Vietnam perhaps?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By JJWeatherman
@armaan8014:  
Draw something from this: 

XD
Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Jaserno

My brother just said about doing the Siege of Ascalon, 40 Templar Knights stood against an entire Egyptian army when the Crusader's refused to follow. All of the 40 Templar Knights were beheaded as a result. It is lesser known part of history that may spark some intrigue. The Templar Knights are a rather good warrior figure to draw in my opinion due to their sheer size and their armour. 

No Caption Provided
Just an idea. Depends on how much detail you want to put into drawing.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By Jeust
@Ishoturface said:
" How about the battle of Thermopylae? It would be pretty easy to do.. The one the Movie 300 is based on.. Not the other multiple battles taken place there.. "
This. 

Or the battle of Troy. Although it is all fairly legendary. 
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By fattony12000

I'm not imagining it am I? You did say this was for an architectural course/class? 

Well, this doesn't have much in the away of architecture to look at, unless you count the men and horses and guns and formations and movement, a form of architecture.

Shit gets a bit hairy for the British.

Shit gets extremely fucking hairy for the French horses. 

FORM SQUARE! FORM SQUARE!
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By Emilio

Draw something from the Battle of Los Angeles.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By Osaladin
@CitizenKane said:
" Battle of the Hydaspes  Features ancient Greeks and Macedonians in an exotic jungle environment against what were considered aliens to them with fucking war elephants.  That's right.  War elephants. "
I like this one the best. 

Or you can go to the Crusades, lots and lots of battles you can take inspiration from.
ajump23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ajump23

Draw the siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RVonE
@armaan8014 said:
" @RVonE:  You serious? If yes, then the thing is I can't use video games for the scene. "

I was serious about Ragnarok; Norse mythology is full of awesome battles. I was kind of kidding about the battle for the Citadel--although it would be an awesome project, I believe.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By trophyhunter

any of the battles from dynasty warriors

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

#65  Edited By count_zero
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @armaan8014: If you are going to go with one of Wallace's battles I would suggest The Battle of Stirling Bridge. "
Quoted For Truth 

Seriously - the battle of Stirling was considerably more epic in real life than how it was depicted in Braveheart. You see, with the bridge, Wallace's troops kept the English bottled up on the bridge, and, eventually, the bridge collapsed, with the majority of the English forces on it. Anyone who wasn't killed when the bridge collapsed was routed. 

On a similar note, the Battle of Austerlitz - Napoleon with 68,000 troops engages 90,000 Russians and Austrians and not only beats them, but one of the units of the Russian Army, approximately 20,000 soldiers, including several artillery batteries commanded by General Dokutrov, were forced to retreat (yea barely - Napoleon had to throw in several reserves after the units he sent in earlier took heavy casualties). In an attempt to restore order to the withdrawl, Dokutrov ordered his men (including the aforementioned artillery and the wagons to supply them) across a frozen lake. 

Let's just say that Dokutrov over-estimated the thickness of the ice... 

Oh, and there was some good stuff with General Wellington on the Peninsular Campaign as well (which is where several of the Sharpe's Rifles novels and series were set - including Sharpe's Eagle).
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Azteck
@ZimboDK said:
" Okay, got some more if you're into mythology. There is the 12 labours of Heracles (Hercules):     1. To kill the Nemean lion.   2. To destroy the Lernaean Hydra.   3. To capture the Ceryneian Hind.   4. To capture the Erymanthian Boar.   5. To clean the Augean Stables.   6. To kill the Stymphalian Birds.   7. To capture the Cretan Bull.   8. To round up the Mares of Diomedes.   9. To steal the Girdle of Hippolyte.  10. To herd the Cattle of Geryon.  11. To fetch the Apples of Hesperides.  12. To capture Cerberus.   I like the Cerberus one the most. Hercules, in the underworld, having to capture the Cerberus without using any weapons.  You could also draw Thor fighting the giant Hrungnir. Thor crushes his skull with Mjölnir. Could be quite a bloody and gory image.The fall of Achilles maybe. Shot in the heel with a poison arrow.Theseus killing the Minotaur in the labyrinth .The death of king Minos maybe. Not a battle, but scalded to death in a bath. That could be a really gory mess. Perseus' "battle" against the Gorgon Medusa. Not much of a battle, since he basically decapitated her while she was sleeping. There's Jason and the Argonauts too. Again, not that many battles, since he took the Golden Fleece of the sleepless dragon by giving it a sleeping potion. Cadmus defeating the Ismean Water Dragon. That's about all I can think of right now. "
You make all of that sounds so cool.
Kolonel_Kool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Kolonel_Kool
@armaan8014: The Fall of Reach. Just a suggestion.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#68  Edited By armaan8014

@Jaserno said:

" @armaan8014: Sounds brilliant dude. I think you will excel at this assignment. The amount of effort you're already putting in is incredible. Maybe mix them all up, or do a few, just to prove to the teachers the scope you looked at. That's if you can't decide on just one.  "

Hey thanks man! Yeah I'm putting in all this effort as I really love history and battles and stuff. I hope my drawing shows the time I spent on it.Maybe I'll start with multiple drawings and end up finishing one that I like the most. Gonna spend the weekend watching the movies :D Thanks again for all the help! 

@JJWeatherman:
How do I draw the invisible walls? :D

@Jaserno:
Ooh! That drawing is effing awesome! Yeah I also love the Crusades era (Thanks to Assassin's Creed :D) But I guess I'll stick to the topics I narrowed to earlier, or I'll get pretty confused. But that drawing's still helpful, thanks.

@Fattony12000:
No as I said, the teacher's are just checking whether we are good with art in general. Relation to architecture right now is not being checked. So I have all the freedom to draw what I want! (And it's quite a lot of fun till now)
   @RVonE:  lol I know. The war at Citadel, Commander Shepard tries to fight of the ancient reaper race as he does his best to spot the line between good and evil in the futuristic world of Mass Effect. MAN, feel like drawing that! 

@Kolonel_Kool:
Gotta be a real battle :/

@Count_Zero: Nice. I'm reading up on both of them, then I'm gonna watch Braveheart and think over it. Currently 4-5 topics in my head right now.
Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jaserno
@armaan8014: I like history as well, not quite as much as you seem to though dude. I did history as an A level before going starting university but I haven't taken it at degree level, which is a shame. I think you should show the GB community what you finally end up with as I think we're all intrigued and have made suggestions and what not.  
I don't blame you for sticking to the areas you narrowed earlier, either way I'm sure it's going to be awesome. Good luck man, keep me informed with how you get on. 

EDIT: I just realised you're a Chelsea fan. Top man, so am I :D
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HitmanAgent47

the spartans like in 300

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By count_zero
@armaan8014 said:
"@Count_Zero: Nice. I'm reading up on both of them, then I'm gonna watch Braveheart and think over it. Currently 4-5 topics in my head right now. "
Just as a heads up - Braveheart didn't include the bridge part of the Battle of Sterling Bridge. They didn't have the budget to do it. Maybe if they made the movie now they could pull it off, but at the time they just didn't have the money or the tech.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ArchScabby
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By armaan8014
@Jaserno said:

" @armaan8014: I like history as well, not quite as much as you seem to though dude. I did history as an A level before going starting university but I haven't taken it at degree level, which is a shame. I think you should show the GB community what you finally end up with as I think we're all intrigued and have made suggestions and what not.  I don't blame you for sticking to the areas you narrowed earlier, either way I'm sure it's going to be awesome. Good luck man, keep me informed with how you get on.  EDIT: I just realised you're a Chelsea fan. Top man, so am I :D "

Hehe... Funny thing is that I only got interested in history thanks to games :D Games like Fable, Oblivion, Dragon age, Assassin's Creed etc made me fall in love with the old times and it's tales. I didn't even take history for my high school! Strange how learning about it didn't get me interested but later on when it was no longer a subject, I fell in love with it. 
Yeah I do plan to show it to Giantbomb, but don't expect a masterpiece :P It's a mammoth task in front of me and I hope I can live up to it.

EDIT: ooh and about Chelsea! I am a big fan of the team, glad to meet another one!
Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle of Cannae, where Hannibal slaughtered the largest ever Roman army with a force a fraction of the size.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By armaan8014
@Count_Zero: Thanks. I'll read up more on that part then.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jenniferlopez82: Bruh this was 11 years ago - I've since graduated, worked in and given up on architecture, worked in films, and made and released two video games as an indie game dev XD XD

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jenniferlopez82: Bruh this was 11 years ago - I've since graduated, worked in and given up on architecture, worked in films, and made and released two video games as an indie game dev XD XD

Did you get a good grade? ;-)

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Haha I think so! I think I drew the Battle of Hastings from the documentary 1066 the battle for the middle earth. I think I might still have that drawing around somewhere, should try looking for it :D

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armaan8014 Nice! I love the Battle of Hastings. In college...a very long time ago I read for class "1066: Year of the Conquest by David Howarth, it was a great book on the history and a very quick read. As history notes Harold Godwinson's got a raw deal after brilliantly turning back an invasion from Norway at Stamford bridge, only to get "ganked" by William in a reverse "Normandy Landing".