Do you have any hobbies outside of gaming?

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In addition to playing video games I try to balance all that sitting by running ~3 times a week and working on my strength a couple of times in a week.

I listen to a lot of music and practice playing electric bass.

I also enjoy working on my car. I do all the fixing and servicing my car needs by myself. I find switching parts and other mechanical work relaxing. I also participate in a car clubs activities, mainly a couple of track days and at least one ice track day per year.

In addition to those I find fishing relaxing. I fish for pike during summer and ice hole fish during wintertime. Last couple of years I've gone fishing only a few times per year though.

I also read a fair amount, mostly just before going to sleep, and watch movies with my fiance.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Watching movies with my friends and going out.

Im a giant nerd so Videogames is my #1 :)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dabble in everything. Making music is my main diversion. Followed closely by coding, video games, reading, board games, tabletop roleplaying, MtG. Everything nerdy imaginable. On the athletic side, I love snowboarding and play (poorly) some amateur volleyball. I go to the gym four days a week, which started out as practical, but has become something between practical and hobby.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@zevvion: I think I've got something from the summer. Some old stuff I wouldn't want to post as it's not very reflective of what I do now. Getting some good videos is actually something I really need to do. I'll see if I can dig the one vid up.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I write jokes that I never perform, I mentally structure out critical essays that I never write, and I write poetry that I never send to publishers. I also read comics and skate sometimes.

I enjoyed some analog film production when I was in college, but it's too expensive a hobby for me to have right now without my dad fronting lab fees.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By frustratedlnc

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - started off as a interest in pro wrestling, then watching combat sports, then practicing Jiu Jitsu. Turned out to love it as it really helps you forget the rest of the bullshit going on in your life and is a fun way to stay in shape while learning a useful skill

Fishing - drinking really, fishing secondarily. I also like sailing but I don't ever have the opportunity.

Gaming of any kind - football, basketball, videogames, poker, table top

Playing piano / writing - the two things I do to scratch the creative itch in my brain, though I'm not particularly good at either

Consuming other media - books and movies

I work in the medical field, so I have a general interest in science but I wouldn't ever call that a hobby. Research articles and things are just how I keep current; I don't actually like going to work. I'd like to know more about programming / computers in general, cars, guns / shooting, botany/gardening, but I haven't had the will or time to redirect my attention to those potential interest. If anyone knows any good books to kind of get you familiar with how a gun works, the difference between different types of guns (same for cars or botany), I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing drums - I just bought myself an electronic kit so I can practice more often with out disturbing everybody, been playing for 7ish years

Downhill Longboarding - Living on Long Island makes it difficult to find any hilly areas where there's little threat of being mowed down by a car but I try.

Reading - I mostly like to read crime/detective fiction. Raymond Chandler is my favorite author, I like Dashiell Hammett and James Ellroy too. I recently started reading William Gibsons work, I finished the Sprawl trilogy and plan on looking into his other books

Buying/Listening to vinyl - Yeah, I'm one of those guys

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I draw, and I watch anime. I used to read a lot of fantasy stuff, but now it's something I basically only do while traveling. Other than that, I also watch people play games on GB, youtube and Twitch, which isn't exactly the same as playing them.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I make videogames. It's a truckload of fun, but also the most difficult thing I've ever done, in all kinds of ways:
Creatively, economically, psychologically and just generally hard. I'm sure this reduces my lifespan by a few years in the long run due to all the stress, but it's definately what I want to do.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Right now the hobby I'm indulging in the most would have to be watching anime, as I'm watching a lot of it, and there's still so much to watch!

And keeping track of what I watch could count as another hobby, as I do that for non-anime TV shows, movies, and games too. I just like making and maintaining lists, even when I don't share them. Cataloging is fun.

But my main hobby is definitely making music. I've been at it for 20 years now, which makes it the thing I've stuck to the longest. It's fun to take a bunch of different sounds and figure out an interesting way to mash them together.

Also, making videos. I sometimes make video game playthroughs for Youtube and my favorite part of the process is editing the videos. And doing motion graphics with After Effects, that's good fun too.

And I guess my last main hobby would have to be travel. I like going places, and one of these days I hope to do a big world tour, with my sights set on anywhere that has good food. Food traveling. But for now, just roaming a few states away from where I am, staying out for a few days to a few weeks at a time is enjoyable.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#63  Edited By Giantstalker

Nope, not anymore.

I own a bunch of guns but ammo is just too expensive up here so it's been months since I shot. Been trying to get into hunting but it's a mess if you don't know what you're doing, so that boondoggle's been on hold for like 5+ years

I've never been able to learn music, other languages, or any cultural stuff. Hate traveling abroad because my job makes me do it to places I really never wanted to go (Africa, ME, etc). Not coordinated enough for team sports and don't know how to skate, ski, or surf (all are pretty popular on the island). Been a couple brief starts at technical hobbies, like coding something or fixing something like a car, but those usually end up in a couple days' of wasted time so I don't bother with that anymore either.

So yeah, jus the games, thanks

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I dabbled in voice acting and performing comedy sketches live on stage. Also did a little kickboxing. Unfortunately, most active stuff has been on hold while I recover from a knee injury.

Also, yes yes the anime thing.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm a hobby artist, I do everyone's favorite topic "anthropomorphism" and often get commissions from the furry community to draw various original characters. Outside of that I'm a content creator in everyone's second favorite topic, Second Life and both these hobbies have been a nice secondary income for the last 8 years.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ripelivejam

Self loathing?

i should gunpla more though. have 2 sets waiting to be finished still, might work on them this weekend then try something more elaborate. maybe actually paint one for once.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My other hobby is going 2 the gym.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: What type of gym? The old-school kind? Or some newish crossfit type stuff?

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I play Magic: The Gathering every Friday, but I'm not sure if that counts as "non-gaming". I read books sometimes when I have the chance? And I, uh, write smut from time to time. Other than that kind of all I do is work nowadays.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play and co-DM a D&D campaign. I read a bunch about history and some anthropology, I enjoy camping and really should do it more. I also think of tons of ideas to do and never follow through on most of them.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I draw comics, build gunpla, and stream games. I like to keep busy, because when you're busy there's no lonely times.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

A big football guy (soccer), love to play and can't stop watching my beautiful Arsenal play (although we've just had a bad run).

Oh and I love going to the gym with a good hip-hop/rnB playlist to keep me going.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tyn0mite

Golf, golf, and golf. Hunting, camping, and golf. I also enjoy writing but am kind of timid to pull the trigger on actually getting deep into anything. I should think about doing that this year...

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to punch puppies and laugh at children when they cry, but no...gaming is pretty much it. There's just so much out there that having another hobby with so much variety would be near impossible for me to juggle, especially considering I don't even have as much time as I would like for gaming as it is.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By mordukai

Cooking. I love cooking. Trying recipes, making my own, sharing with friends. My major problem is that I can't cook for individuals. When I cook I can feed a lot of people.

Tonight I made turkey with slightly mashed, over roasted, potatoes. With 2 kinds of gravy, stir fried veggies and french rolls and Lemon cake for desert.

No Caption Provided

for some reason I didn't take pictures of the other food.

I also love origami. But I have neglected it for too long. I should get back on it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By 49th

Mostly cooking. I spend a lot of time watching/reading stuff about food and making meals. I love it enough to where I kind of want a career involving food.

Aside from that I've been watching a lot of skateboarding recently and bought a board a couple of months ago... which I haven't used yet. It's kind of weird starting to learn in my 20s especially in London where I can barely find anywhere with flat ground to learn on, but I'm definitely going to dink around on it next year.

Not much of a movie guy but I watch a lot of TV series like everyone and I guess you could also say gym is my hobby although I haven't been in a few months.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Photography would be my biggest one, sadly I haven't gotten around to doing much of it lately despite how much I love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to be into skateboarding and drawing when I was younger but I just lost interest I do enjoy music alot at times but it's hard for me to be really into anything besides gaming. I do like tv series and movies but other than I was really into wrestling back in the 90's and early 00's but it went to shit for me. So right now it's 90 percent gaming and 10 percent movies and TV.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started taking piano lessons about a year ago, its hard and progress is slow at times but i really enjoy it. Never tried learning a instrument before so its hard for me but also really rewarding. Not gonna be any good anytime soon but it fits my anti-social lifestyle perfect.

TalkingCrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i like to shoot guns, go camping and getting drunk.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

Filmmaking and creative writing has always been my hobby. I have a soft spot for writing short reflective poems.

I have also played in a few local bands in my hometown. I can play guitar, bass and drums.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cooking, baking (bread, primarily), and homebrewing. I can hold my own on the first two. I'm garbage at the latter. When I'm not in the kitchen or playing games, I also enjoy working on repair/upgrade projects around my house. Not sure I'd call that a hobby as much as a necessity, though.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Small nano freshwater planted aquariums. My gf and I have 6 aquariums in our bedroom. We keep everything in the bedroom because of the cats. Our Sundays are spent doing maintenance. I'm also one of those microbrew nerds.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monthly Larping. I go to a weekend Larp held in north-east Pennsylvania, driving up from Pittsburgh at the complete opposite end. PA's a big fucking state, guys.

It's a lot of what you probably imagine. Everyone has a costume, from the really nice looking to the totally slapdash (me). It's an immersion Larp, so you are in character from game start on Friday night to game end on Sunday at noon. Stats and abilities like a tabletop where foam and latex are used for weapons and packets of bird seed are used for spellcasting.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet: I had a work buddy who used to Larp in a group called Nero (Not sure if its still around? This was almost 2 decades ago. Holy crap, I'm old...) (He also did SCA). He knew I was/am a fencer and always tried to get me to come along. He convinced me to come along as his minion and he'd pay for everything. So, why not?

He worked something out with one of the game masters and got me a little bit of a boost so I could hang out with his party. I'm given a 10 pound suit of chainmail, a tattered cloak, and a pole wrapped in foam. "When you swing, say two damage."

He gets into a scuffle with this warrior and his group an hour into his adventure. My buddy goes right for the warrior and gets one shot by some one use per day ability. Well, I didn't know it was one use and I'm certainly not going to rush in after seeing that.

I wasn't given any orders so I kind of just stood around - like a good minion would? As our party was about to be downed, I was finally told to not stand there and actually fight. :P

Taking on winded players on the verge of death as a fencer? It went as you would expect. The other party broke and ran into the woods and I gave chase. Chasing winded players wearing heavy armor as a fit, not wearing plate fencer? Just as you would expect. About 200 feet into the woods and the other guys were huffing and puffing, and I just prodded them "Two damage, two damage" until they just surrendered. My buddy's party thought I pulled some miracle taking out the guys that ran in their full plate and magiced out gear.

It was -super- nerdy and -super- fun. I would have gone again, but the meta for pve was either spamming dual wield, or lugging a shield as tall and twice as wide as one's self.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#88  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

I train Wing Chun (our particular style is actually spelled Wing Tsun), Tai Chi and sometimes Yoga. Some general fitness stuff as well of course.

I'm really into music, often electronic, but also Hip Hop, classical, Metal and many other more obscure variations. I loved concerts a whole bunch, particularly during my metal phase, and I've been to the opera a couple of times. But nowadays it's mostly going clubbing on occasion due to limited time.

I've been an avid reader for pretty much all my life though nowadays it's mostly non-fiction.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Playing guitar, watching bad movies and youtube videos, target shooting, fostering kittens for the Humane Society... I don't game much anymore. Maybe a few titles a year.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Larping is about 90% of the reason I want to get fit (the other 10% being to look good naked). I have heard of Nero. Everyone larping in the North East has heard of Nero. If you go to a Larp in the NE United States, then chances are it's an offshoot, direct or indirect, of Nero, and you can find common pieces between all of them, in particular boffer (the name for foam weapons) regulations.

What you describe about Nero's "meta" is also consistent with what I've heard about and experienced from those larps. The larp I go to is significantly less "hardcore" than those games, and was kind of made as a backlash, especially to the culture some of those games have. They can get pretty hostile an newbie unfriendly. It helps that the larp I go to is fairly new, established in the last three years, and so there is not an established elite class of characters, which is something they are trying to avoid in general.

If you live in the tri-state area and you're interested, shoot me a PM.

barfqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read a ton of garbage-ass fanfiction. Used to write some myself but that was all too rotten, even for me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hmm, over the holidays I started learning to play the guitar. Just the basic chords so far, but it's pretty relaxing. I also like to read. My goal for the past couple years has been to read a book a month and It's been going good so far. I try to sprinkle in more classic titles in between the contemporary stuff. I read To Kill a Mockingbird last year and absolutely loved it. Same goes for film, although I don't watch movies nearly as much as I read. I'm trying to watch through all of Akira Kurosawa's stuff right now. So far I've seen Yojimbo and Sanjuro, and they were great. I'm kinda big on making lists, so anything that allows me to tick off a box really interests me. I guess video games kinda instilled that objective mentality in me . (And by objective, I mean a task, not perspective or opinion)

I used to draw a lot when I was younger, but the inability to do so without looking at something for reference discouraged me to the point of stopping. I really envy people that can make something from their imagination. I've never been one to thrive outside structure unfortunately. I guess that's part of the reason I love video games. We can all appreciate an environment where we're tasked to do something based on our skill or merit, especially when it puts us in an extraordinary scenario. Video games let us do that, and that's kinda awesome.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#93  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I love music, ranging from the 1950s until today. Mostly what you'd hear on the billboard charts up to the mid to late 90s, and off-radio for the most part after that, but not always. I especially enjoy alternative from the 90s, and just about anything from the 80s.

I also like video games. Please take us back to Vice City, Rockstar. I want to go back.

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By kaungo

I works on my car and family member's cars. I have done simple oil change to full blown engine rebuilt. Starting to get into autodetailing as the cars don't need much work aside from usual oil change. Properly washing and claying cars soothes me for some reason. I can just focus on the work and block out the rest for a while. Compounding and polishing paint to a mirror finish is incredibly satisfying.

I studied animal biology and was considering vet school as a career path. Really love doing rescue works and behavior training with animals that are deems unadoptable. It started as resume building gig but I really enjoyed it to a point where I commit to it for several years. I have since decided to go back to school for engineering so my cat and salt water reef aquarium are my animal related fix nowadays.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Zevvion

@talkingcrow said:

Well i like to shoot guns, go camping and getting drunk.

Best combination of hobbies ever.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I travel as much as I can and cook pretty much daily. Recently I've found myself thinking more and more if the 40-70 euros I spend on a single game might better be used on a day or two of lounging on a tropical island somewhere.

Xaopling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to play the piano... And i brew beer!

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#98  Edited By fenster

@xaopling said:

I try to play the piano... And i brew beer!

I *also* try to play the piano! Started about a year and a half ago at the age of 28 and still going strong! I really enjoy it and it's very fulfilling to see the strides I've made over the time I've been playing.

I also play a lot of board games and am an off-and-on runner.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saving scalebound

it's bigger than gaming yo

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

I travel as much as I can and cook pretty much daily. Recently I've found myself thinking more and more if the 40-70 euros I spend on a single game might better be used on a day or two of lounging on a tropical island somewhere.

A-fucking-greed.

... (I didn't realize until now how separating that word that way suddenly gives an entirely new perspective.

But yeah man, I love getting into single games a lot more than I do playing tons of them all the time for many reasons and one of which is that I can go away for two-three days a lot more often. Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, I love it.