Do you butter both sides of the bread when you make a sandwich?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Poll Do you butter both sides of the bread when you make a sandwich? (270 votes)

Yes. 19%
No. 31%
No butter please. 35%
What is this? 15%

I have to know, it's for a thing.

No Caption Provided

• 
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I may have worded it wrong, I meant like not both sides of the bread like one side of each piece of bread

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The one true way to do it (although I don't ever use butter on sandwiches), is you spread one side and then you use the other slice as your knife clean off. Especially with peanut butter.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

For most sandwiches, I don't use any butter at all.

Are these really the inane questions you've been dying to ask for the past eight years?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Efesell

I don't know what sandwiches would need butter and then additionally would need a double shot of butter.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@hizang: ohhhh... well I already answered but I was really wondering what kind of monster was subjecting themselves to butter on their hands while eating their sandwich.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: A lot of people use butter on their grilled cheese. It's pretty common. Some use butter instead of mayo on other sandwiches. A very good butter can go well with a quality ham and cheese. It adds fat and moisture without the sometimes overpowering flavor of mayo so if you're using high quality ingredients and you want to bring out their flavors it can make sense. I've gotten buttered sandwiches in high end sandwich shops, especially those that fashion themselves as European.

Personally I don't butter any sandwiches except grilled cheese, but I also rarely eat sandwiches since I gave up meat. Most vegetarian sandwiches don't really go well with butter because they use a stronger flavored sauce (like pesto) since most sandwich vegetables don't have a ton of flavor.

The exception is the tomato and butter sandwich, but I don't love those.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Well I didn't even consider grilled cheese, I think of butter as something of a fundamental ingredient there.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Thought provoking post and well written, nice job, man I love sandwiches, ever have like Quorn sandwiches.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only time I've ever encountered butter on a sandwich is when my grandfather would make them for me. I never understood why he did it. I always thought he was just weird. I didn't mind the taste, but I never bothered to butter my own sandwiches.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hizang: No. I'm not super into meat substitutes. Sometimes I'll have like a beyond burger with lots of condiments, and meatless sausage can be alright because it just tastes like sausage seasonings, but most meatless meat is pretty bland tasting. The texture is usually okay but the flavor is...not bad usually just bland.

If you're using fake meat you should probably use mayo instead of butter because you probably need all the flavor you can get. Maybe even a sriracha mayo or something for some actual kick.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. My parents have always done it but I've never done it myself. I don't dislike buttered bread but it just seems kind of pointless in a sandwich.

jonniman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ll give the British perspective on this... yes always butter your bread!

Or just eat bread and butter! It doesn’t need anything else.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not, I'm not a crazy person.

yourbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use butter on any sandwich other than grilled cheese. But I do put mayo/aioli/guac/hummus/whatever sloppy/wet thing is going on a given sandwich on both pieces of bread, if that counts?

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The only time I use butter on a sandwich is when I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich and I only butter the outsides of it so that it gets crispy. Other than that, no butter.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No butter on my sandwiches. Mustard on one side (preferably some sort of spice brown) and mayo on the other, please.

The talk of giving up meat reminded me that a few years ago I was attending grad school in Claremont, CA, where there was a restaurant called "Eureka!" that had an absolutely killer veggie burger patty recipe based on beets and kidney beans. I would substitute it onto their "Fresno Fig Burger" that had fig marmalade and melted goat cheese. It sounds weird but it's amazing. Seriously the best thing ever if you happen to live near one of their locations... which sadly I don't any longer (they're mostly in California). Man I miss that place...

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I pretty much hate greasy stuff on bread, including butter. Sadly it's seen as somewhat of a no-brainer to most people here in my country. 'Of course you need the butter, you need something to get the topping to stick on!' No thanks. Always a rough time when your in a meeting and the sandwiches arrive and you know that you will have to deal with it.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted No after misreading the question. I would say I could goeither way depending on my sandwhich feel. Like, would more butter enhance what sandwhich I plan to eat?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonniman said:

I’ll give the British perspective on this... yes always butter your bread!

Or just eat bread and butter! It doesn’t need anything else.

I'll give another British perspective, no butter on bread, only on toast or toasties.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode:

As Montell Jordan would say “This is How We Do It” with “we” being you, me, and any other sensible, efficiency minded person.

#OneTrueWay

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By FacelessVixen

When having toast with two slices of bread, I only butter one slice of bread

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never buttered the inside of sandwich. I've also never been to prison. I'm pretty sure there's a correlation there.

madoubleC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Butter on both sides of sandwich bread was pretty much the norm where I came from in good old blighty. Only a bit though if you're putting another spread on the sandwich as well, but that extra lubrication always helps it go down well. Even more so on toast.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm making a sandwich that requires two pieces of bread, I'm not making a buttered sandwich. When two pieces of bread are involved, we're talking a more complex sandwich. That means mayo.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

butter only goes on grilled cheese, and nothing else. only one side there as well

Buytoplikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's awesome to put the whole piece of bread in the melted butter and then grill it for 5 mins. Sooooo delicious!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Butter is great! Everybody can agree on that, try and go low fat though.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I don't use butter

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Growing up, I only ever saw non-buttered sandwiches on TV and I thought it was crazy, like a fake thing that only happens in TV land to make fake TV sandwiches. Since living alone, I make a lot of sandwiches for myself and I don't butter them because I'm lazy. I'd prefer butter, but I'm not going to buy butter for myself.

I read the question as both sides of the bread and not both slices, obviously, because buttering only one of the slices sounds like something you'd do if you were suffering neurological damage and forgot how to make a sandwich.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Mayo exists, and let me tell you the good word about it.

Avatar image for allaboutreviews
AllAboutReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AllAboutReviews

Standard procedure for grilled cheese is to butter the outsides of the bread before placing it in the pan — for more flavor.butter both sides, inside and out.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little bit of butter on a breakfast sandwich is alright, or other sandwiches where the bread is toasted, but generally no.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I don't use butter on sandwiches, ist cultural to be sure. I can see the utility of a fat polymer layer to keep veggies from getting your sandwich mushy, but it far more likely that I would use olive oil, olive tapenade, or cheese to act as that 'waterproof' layer.

There are sandwiches you eat immediately, and there are sandwiches that you can pack for a lunch. Those are two different animals. Even if they are very much the same in 90% of the ingredient there are versions for eating as soons as they are made and versions for eating later. A packed lunch sandwich often needs butter or cheese to keep the bread from getting soggy, but for me I'm far more likely to use a firm cheese and a schmear of olive tapenade to keep veggies off the bread.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

#37  Edited By alianger

No and I barely eat butter or sandwiches due to GERD (acid reflux) issues.

I've never met or seen anyone who butters both sides of one slice, lol. Or do you mean like a sandwich with two slices?

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, so, I butter both slices of bread if I'm having toast, I don't butter them at all if I'm having a cold sandwich, and I butter both sides for both slices it I'm making a grilled sandwich like Grilled Cheese or a Reuben.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Junkerman

Butter both sides if you will be cooking the bread in some way... Otherwise I dont really understand buttering the side you'll be holding when you can just apply as much butter as you need on the inside?

mothra42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends, for a grilled cheese sandwich, absolutely! For just about any other sandwich, absolutely not!