• 82 results
Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Witzig

On this week's podcast and also previous podcast the bombsquad has shown either a great liking or dislike for premium malt liqour. I was wondering if you guys drink 40's and if so what brands do you drink and what drinking games do you play. I myself played power hour with four other friends and 8 bottles of Olde E High Gravity and boy was that was a hell of a night.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I'm not a straight liquor guy, but Alex Navarro certainly is.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

No Caption Provided

Malt liquor is a lot closer to beer than liquor. They all would have died if they drank that much liquor.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By isomeri

We don't really have an equivalent over here in Finland. People mostly drink hard liquor like vodka or whiskey and beer, long drinks and wines. The closest thing to a "let's just get drunk fast" type of Trojan horse is maybe strong wines, of which Valdemar is one of the most popular. I don't really buy this anymore outside of it being a joke, but there are plenty of fond/fuzzy memories from my teenage years with this stuff.

No Caption Provided

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

On occasion. I used to drink shitty beer a lot when I was younger but now in my mid twenties I'd rather just drink less but higher quality beer. Also in addition a lot of the beer has higher alcohol content. The dark beer I drink isn't really any more expensive because it's often 6-8% alcohol content. I prefer Stouts and Porters.

But I live in North Caronlina where the beer scene is particularly great right now so there are a ton of good options if you want craft beer.

Every once in a while though I still want a 40. For a pregame or a house party. When I get one I usually go OE, Steel Reserve, or Cobra.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By afabs515

I hate beer. I can't even drink one can. I prefer hard liquor.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a friend who mixes his with orange juice. Drank it once, have to admit, it wasn't that bad.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai said:

I have a friend who mixes his with orange juice. Drank it once, have to admit, it wasn't that bad.

You my friend had a brass monkey

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Because I am not a "nerd".

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Nerd??? Where did you come up with the notion that drinking 40's was a thing that only nerds do?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

I don't 'cause I don't think it's a thing outside the US.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beerwise, I only drink good, hoppy IPA's. I have walked around my neighborhood with IPA in a coffee mug, that is my version of "brownbagging it".

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to drink Cobras all the time when i was in Uni, i'll still do every now and then.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I love a good craft beer for sipping, but I'll still get down with a King Cobra, Colt 45 (Works Every Time!), or a Steel Reserve.

Sometimes you just want to get tipsy for $2, dude.

@alexw00d said:

I don't 'cause I don't think it's a thing outside the US.

It's not. As far as I know, 40s are a uniquely American invention.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@corevi said:

No Caption Provided

Malt liquor is a lot closer to beer than liquor. They all would have died if they drank that much liquor.

Where I come from the only 40s are straight vodka or rum. Junior High kids with inconsistent access to booze buy them as a long term supply.

Josh_LaLonde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to buy Magnum 40's once i while. They are made by Miller and taste like a High Life with some vodka poured in it.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18 sweep  Moderator

@corevi said:

No Caption Provided

I remember on the Bombcast they referred to this as Edward 40-Hands? Which is terrible. In England we have Edward Cider-hands and Amy Wine-hands, which I think are much better.

You don't have special hands for beer. It's just beer.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not cool enough to drink 40s.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By micemoney
No Caption Provided

Once in a blue moon and only on Fridays for some reason.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By chu52

I love a good craft beer (so awesome living near Bew Belgium Brewing) but when me and my friend sit down to watch Hoodslam (this is real!) it feels appropriate to drink shitty things. In that spirit Steel Reserve ain't bad but we need to buy it in cans up here as my town has a poor selection of 40oz.

When my friend went to his hometown he found 40oz of Steel Reserve and while making multiple trips from the back to the counter and loaded with 40oz the owner looked at my friend's girlfriend and said 'homeless people buy those'

Another great drink for slumming it with hoodslam is three olives Mountain Dew flavored vodka mixed into Mountain Dew. It tastes like, Mountain Dew.

Keep it classy Giant Bomb.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Corevi
@chu52 said:

Another great drink for slumming it with hoodslam is tree olives Mountain Dew flavored vodka mixed into Mountain Dew. It tastes like, Mountain Dew.

As someone who dislikes the taste of alcohol and has a crippling soda addiction that sounds awesome.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GiantLizardKing

In the states we call those "Fifths" or maybe even liters.

@giantlizardking said:

@corevi said:

No Caption Provided

Where I come from the only 40s are straight vodka or rum. Junior High kids with inconsistent access to booze buy them as a long term supply.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to, but then I realized I could get a 6pack of 8% beers that taste better and don't go flat.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

No one drinks that where I'm from and we joke about how Americans drink Malt Liquor. Its a long story but this is giving me chuckles.

emofratparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By emofratparty

Mickey's, Edward 40 Hands. I have a picture that looks very similar to Alex's.

/looks for picture

//finds picture

...oh dear god, this horrifies me. It's from five years ago. DO NOT JUDGE THAT WHICH YOU CANNOT DRINK.

No Caption Provided

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@sweep:

I... hesitate to call malt liquor "beer". Although there are also beers that come in 40oz bottles, but if you're not drinking high gravity malt liquor, I think you're missing the point of a 40.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya I drink steel reserves often. It doesn't taste the best but 1 steel reserve is about equal to two mickeys. And I'm a poor college kid so beerenomics and drunkenolagy dictate steel reserve is the most bang for your buck.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I occasionally will just buy a 40 of PBR, but I haven't had malt liquor in a while. I've actually been looking for one at stores around my place but it seems like Seattle just said fuck malt liquor. I switch between shit beer and good beer pretty often. Sometimes I just like a shitty beer that I can drink all night. Good beers I can't consistently drink very well.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@witzig said:

@sterling said:

Nerd??? Where did you come up with the notion that drinking 40's was a thing that only nerds do?

Seriously? Maybe you should buy my book.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't usually do drinking games. I know how to drink, and don't need motivation for it. I will however play games while I drink. And I recently had my first 40oz a month-ish ago. I've had a couple since then. Olde English seems to be the best of the "right" kind of 40's.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By monkeyking1969

@witzig said:

@sterling said:

Friend, Billy Dee is no nerd.
Friend, Billy Dee is no nerd.

Billy Dee is no nerd!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By monetarydread
No Caption Provided

I used to love me some Bull Max back in the day, but the liquor stores in my area of BC stopped selling Malt Liquor last year.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#34 FinalDasa  Moderator

40 ounces of alcohol are illegal here in Florida for some reason. The biggest you can get is about 32 ounces and only until recently have growlers become legal to purchase.

It's kind of strange since Florida isn't exactly a dry state and excluding 40s just seems really strange.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I will drink a 40 or two (or three or four) when I need to. I prefer buying a case of beer though, just because the ass end of a 40 is always gross.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nope.

1. I'm an adult.
  2. I'm not an alcoholic.
  3. I don't drink to get drunk (see 2).
cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drink quarts of Yuengling. It's more american...

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly drink higher end beers and even then it's 1 maybe 2 depending on how long I'm staying and if there is food. Everyone is so far so I have to drive everywhere. I once had to call a taxi and it was $270 ride!!!! Then deal with getting the car the next day.

If I'm home on a weekend and playing a game like Assasin creed or destiny, 6 pack of what ever seasonal IPA is out on a friday night is pretty okay. Even if I'm by myself, alone in my mid 20's.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Does this stuff actually taste okay or is it worse than regular beer? If the case in favor of malt liquor is "it's cheap and gets you drunk" then my response is "maybe you should go and live in Glasgow like I did where a 3-liter bottle of white lightning mixed with blackcurrant ribena is considered a good night in" (or "No").

Depends on your tastes. If your feelings are like mine, and that most beers are okay, then Steel Reserve and Old English are pretty decent. Also they are $2-$3 so are you really out all that much if you taste it and go "BLARGH"?

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In college I had a roommate that use to work for a distributor so he would always bring home flats of a dozen or so expired 40's of Old English or Steel Reserve that they couldn't sell to stores. I mean the stuff is pretty skunky when it hasn't been sitting around, but I was poor and in college so we drank that shit down regardless.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I never enter a movie theater without an Olde English on or in my body.

Also, I discovered there are various stages I go through when drinking a 40: the first third is questioning why I'm drinking this sub par liquid. The second third is realizing it's not so bad and actually enjoy it. The final third is when it starts to get a little warm and I regret everything and just want to die. Repeat.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bybeach

Way, waaaay back when I was a college student in a Dorm. Usually Bud or Coors or that one malt liquor that I could stand(the rest sucked). We'd go out for quarts and 40 oz-ers. It was simply convenient for us and met the lack of money we had.

Nowdays it's weak cheap beer in cans.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malt Liquor: When you need to get drunk on the change in your couch.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By overnow

I'll drink just about anything but my go-to drinks are Molson Canadian for beer and rum for liquor (either Captain Morgan's spiced or El Dorado 12 year). While 40's like OE are a little cheaper here in my part of Canada the difference makes it rarely worth buying. In the past when I frequented Quebec a little more often for my alcohol buying I would grab 40's of Labatt Bleue Dry 10.1% or Molson Dry 10.1% more often which are both absolutely disgusting but get the job done quickly.

Honestly there's a chance I would drink them more if my university hadn't banned bottled beer in the dorms/on campus due to there being way too many incidents of broken glass and bottle weapons.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Did you say "node"?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shindig

Tis the season for this.

No Caption Provided

Although, weirdly I prefer the off-the-shelf normal Aberlour to it. 60%+ should taste like violence.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overnow: Old English is now in plastic bottles because of this. Lame.

SkankinPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SkankinPacman

I played 40 hands once in my life and I swore to never drink a 40 again. That was the sickest I have ever been after drinking.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I typically prefer I nice glass of wine! Yea I'm classy