• 58 results
nizo182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By nizo182

Would people actually consider  having a (Like) system similar to Facebook's in the site's forums and what ever sort of posts a good idea?  

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ragdrazi

I don't use Facebook.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

Meh?  It just seems like a way to say you're interested in something without having to write a comment.  Very impersonal.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By craigbo180
@wemibelec90 said:
Meh?  It just seems like a way to say you're interested in something without having to write a comment.  Very impersonal.
Like.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By imsh_pl

Never.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shiftymagician

Having a like system will render a lot of users to only value any comment that has a high rating, neglecting other comments.  So no, to continue encouraging reading through all the comments equally.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By phrosnite

No. Never.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By innacces14

Dislike. And here's why...

@ShiftyMagician said:

Having a like system will render a lot of users to only value any comment that has a high rating, neglecting other comments.  So no, to continue encouraging reading through all the comments equally.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

You'd end up with really inarticulate people getting a lot of likes because they have the time to make 50 alts and vote their shit up. 

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By DjCmeP

@nizo182: NO!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By YoThatLimp

This isn't Reddit. This is a forum, not a comment section.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

They had a plus and minus system here at one time if memory serves.  They got rid of it.  Too easy to abuse.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InternetCrab

Forums shouldn't have like buttons. So:

No Caption Provided
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lunar_Aura

As if the itneret didn't have enough tryhards

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoLines

I'm going to upvote this. Even though it's a repost. 
Wait, what? 

No. This is a forum.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nekroskop

No.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hell no. 

This is a forum. A 'like' button avoids discussion. 

The retarded quest system already makes this more like YouTube, which is a horrible thing.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yes. I would like that very much. I did enjoy the +/- feature the site used to have, but I understood why they removed it because people were being spammed with -'s just because they were disliked. However, as long as it's only a positive thing, and can't be used to bring people down, I'm all for it. People on facebook are always trying to convince them to add a "dislike" button. I'm glad they're smart enough not to do that. Nothing good would come of it.

nizo182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nizo182

Hmmm. I pretty much expected that this suggestion would be mostly rejected, and the reasons given are quite convinving and rational but I still feel that having a "Like or +/-" system to the forums would be somewhat nice in certain occasions.  :/

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeJerk

Yes, but do not make it a like button. Make it a "/n people found this post to be very useful and or helpful" etc deal because that's what it needs to be. Some people like giving rimjobs and a few of those are very vocal about liking it. Nobody cares what you like or how many like something because that is not helpful. I like icecream, well woopty shit. I found a certain reply in a certain thread in a certain subforum to be very helpful. That is something to care about because that is something that actually helps. Here's a picture of my fat ugly infant, please click the like button.

kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingjulesxii

Is it wrong that I'm all for it? Facebook is on top of the internet for a reason; it streamlined communication. 

I see why people wouldn't want it, but I think a system similar to it can be implemented productively to some part of the site.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I rather not see it.

People are dicks and will down/uprate things to pester or help their enemies/friends.
|And some people here can be very evil.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@imsh_pl said:

Never.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust
@TheGreatGuero said:
Yes. I would like that very much. I did enjoy the +/- feature the site used to have, but I understood why they removed it because people were being spammed with -'s just because they were disliked. However, as long as it's only a positive thing, and can't be used to bring people down, I'm all for it. People on facebook are always trying to convince them to add a "dislike" button. I'm glad they're smart enough not to do that. Nothing good would come of it.
True, however people can be "liked" for insulting and scornful comments directed towards others which serves an equally negative purpose.  It can still encourage bad behavior. 
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Jeff mentioned something like this on Formspring ages ago. I can't find the exact question, but it was pretty much "What do you think of having a thumbs up/thumbs down system on the site?" and his answer was something like "We had a +/- system and discovered that when you give people an option to show their dislike for something, they'll click it for a bunch of dumb reasons. The best way to do that stuff would be to have a single "like" button the way Facebook does."

It was very speculative and it definitely isn't something in their hard plans, but it showed that it's something that they're thinking about and is a possibility at some point in the future.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By KillyDarko

Thanks, but no thanks!
I'd like to be able to rate a game without having to write a review, though, by having a system very much like what you'd see in Screened.com

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vexxan

NO.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By imsh_pl

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

I remember the old plus minus system here.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SSully

There are times I would want a like system to show I favor an opinion or like it, but dont have anything to add or comment on about it. But I know that it could be abused to all hell by others so I am fine without it.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 71Ranchero

I would prefer a "do not like" button. Can you imagine that? People like KhaosAngel would never be seen again.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33  Edited By natetodamax

The +/- system they had a long time ago was removed because people with different opinions would get lots of negatives, essentially.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PixelPrinny

I'm a middle-aged parent of two and most of my time is spent juggling work, Pilates, and raising my family. When I browse video game forums, I don't want to be hassled by having to actually contribute to a conversation. Replying to a comment I agree with and saying "QFT" or "I agree with this!" (and maybe even elaborating) is just too gosh darn hard! I wish this forum would tailor to my busy lifestyle and give me an impersonal way of telling the world that I like clicking buttons.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#35  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

No, that kind of system just encourages people to make meaningless clicks instead of generating real discussion.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BabyChooChoo

No no noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Like buttons systems ALWAYS turn into "like this so everyone can see" or "like this if you agree" or some stupid bullshit like that. And then instead of intelligent conversation, when fanboys are upset by something, they'll just down vote it instead of talking about it. Hardly anything good ever comes from a like/dislike system.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ajamafalous

@ShiftyMagician said:

Having a like system will render a lot of users to only value any comment that has a high rating, neglecting other comments. So no, to continue encouraging reading through all the comments equally.

This is why they removed the +/- and why it likely won't be coming back.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Nah, would rather not have every second person adding "please click like if you like this comment" after every post. Its bad enough they still say "First" all the time. It pisses me off to have to listen to a yout-ube video and every second the guys begging people to "like" his video or "vote" it up, them glancing down all the post asking the same thing. It fine as is id say.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hatking

How would a "like" system be different than all the people who quote-reply just to show they feel exact same way as a previous user?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Afroman269

No

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@nizo182 said:

Hmmm. I pretty much expected that this suggestion would be mostly rejected, and the reasons given are quite convinving and rational but I still feel that having a "Like or +/-" system to the forums would be somewhat nice in certain occasions. :/

These are generally used on blogs with comments sections, rather than forums. They usually don't work because if you have a story about a Nintendo game, it's primarily read by Nintendo fans who will upvote anything positive said and downvote anything negative, even if perfectly sensible and rational. I prefer the system of just reading comments and having to form your own opinion about them.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nux

I thought it could be cool at first then I realized it would be bad, so no.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@PenguinDust said:
@TheGreatGuero said:
True, however people can be "liked" for insulting and scornful comments directed towards others which serves an equally negative purpose.  It can still encourage bad behavior. 
Good call. I hadn't thought of that. Okay, so yeah, I'm against it now.
yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By yorick
@ShiftyMagician
Yeah, lol. That's what I do on Joystiq. I just skim through and look at the upvoted comments.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By BoG

I've always thought we need a button to insert the word "like" into our posts. It would make it easier to write a post that reads as if it were written by a dumb girl from California. Like, awesome!
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlexW00d

@imsh_pl said:

Never.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By raviolisumo

No.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By toowalrus

Dislike.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By MEATBALL

Nope, I'm not really a fan of positive/negative buttons/like buttons (or Kotaku/Gawker's star system) in large forums. It feels hard enough to make any sort of impression as it is, it always seems to me those sort of systems make it even harder to do so. It's good for reviews and lists though.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#50  Edited By alistercat

It works on Facebook because of friends, and speed. Forums are for more in depth discussions, not amoungst friends. It would just become a popularity contest.