Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ThatPainting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my problem with the whole thing is that I tend to associate Giant Bomb with being genuine, it's why Dan would sometimes rub me the wrong way when he would go full heel. I understand that it's a bit, but it's just not what I want from the site. If I wanted to watch skits and parodies, there's other places on the internet are doing that full-time. I've liked pretty much every other new show, though, so that's a plus!

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way I see it either way if it's a bit or not....it's just not very good... We will likely never know but whether this is RV or a Jeff B thing as new production head or whatever but this new direction sucks.. compared to what Nextlander are churning out day upon day.

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: This is similar to how I feel about the matter. I definitely believe it's not meant to be taken seriously, but I genuinely hope the intention was not to alienate a significant portion of the community as part of the joke. The risk of that is much more damaging than any potential benefits from additional engagement from users that are playing along.

I thought there was another possibility that the show was going to be improvisational and react to the response of the viewers. It would be interesting if the episodes were not scripted ahead of time and each one would be made with feedback from the users taken into consideration. The long gap between the first and second got me thinking about it. This approach would also risk becoming actively antagonistic if not executed carefully. So probably not a good idea either, but potentially moreclever than a series of satirically dry videos subversively made irritating as a bit.

However, after watching the second one, there's nothing that hints to me that it was produced in a reactive manner. It builds entirely from the end of the first episode and doesn't need to take its reception into account. I would guess that the whole thing is planned out, but the videos done with Janina are slightly improvised. I'm glad she's still contributing some of her time to the site, but this currently seems like a waste of her talent and I'd prefer if she was attached to a more positive series.

I'm still curious if there will be a twist to the formula or a meta-narrative develops that retroactively salvages the project. But if it continues this dull trajectory, then I'll consider it a failed experiment in my book.

SnaxwellSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SnaxwellSays

I enjoy the pro-wrestling levels of suspension of disbelief in this thread.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#56 chaser324  Moderator

I'm hesitant to repeat this in case it spoils anything, but I like the idea that the Twister video is the only real episode and the whole of the rest of Reel Layers is just this lawsuit/contract plotline. I want it to go really off the rails.

GB's own version of On Cinema and the trial of Tim Heidecker.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By bybeach

@flameboy84: NextLander is conservative, near to a fault. I do like much of what they do, but it also isn't the inventiveness and daring taking of early GB. Well, maybe once or twice with video game choice. Thats a point of view, I guess.

As for what this thread is going on about, I would have to say people should (perhaps) think twice before they go all Kaufman/ Dan Rickert unchained on the site. People just do not take to the whole thing unless it is flawlessly done, being usually a gag that has to run for awhile. It's just really hard to pull off.

But I myself refuse to criticize, not only because all of what I know of it is limited to this thread, but also because I did not take to Andy Kaufman's humor either after say, Foreign man and such. And although they are not quite the same thing, comedy such as 'I think you should leave now', leaves me scratching the chalkboard with my very own fingernails. I cannot watch it!

But if GB was trying to do something and take a chance, they on my part gets a 'good on them'. They better be fooling around, by the sound of it.

But after a while, even I started laughing with Dan when he was sticking dumb written paste-its to his beard and face for subs.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so, first, important disclaimer: I'm a little drunk right now. It's the holidays, and family is around, and I'm drinking more than usual and enjoying myself. So sue me.

Second: like a lot of people (apparently, from reading the comments), I do not find this whole schtick particularly funny. I did laugh a bit at the whole Dennis Quaid/Bill Paxton thing at the end of the first "proper" episode, but it seemed like a lot of lame material for a fairly brief payoff. I would not be sad if the whole thing just disappeared.

That said, do people not realize that when they say stuff to the effect of "This is so bad that I'm cancelling my sub," they sound like whiny, entitled man-babies to most people? It is one thing to say, "This is not the GB content I'm looking for, this is pretty lame," and entirely another to say, "Waaaahhhh! Do the content I like or I QUIT! You must do what I say! Me is so important! GB must cater to my whims!"

Like, uhhhh, rly? You guys realize that this whole website is basically a cult of personality built around the idea that the staff are as "genuine" as can be and just do the shit they like to do, right? That's sort of the whole appeal. If you don't like some particular piece of it, don't watch it.

For instance, I don't like Albummer at all. So *I don't watch it*. This is rather distinct from the alternative of leaving nasty comments remarking on how much I hate the show and trying to coercively alter the site's direction by threatening monetary repercussions if GB does not cancel said show. Because I am a sane person who realizes that some people like Albummer despite the fact that I do not, and I am perfectly fine with it existing alongside other GB content that I *do* like. Not everything can be about me and my tastes, nor should it be.

In short: constructive criticism is just fine. I don't particularly like this "show" either. But before posting, perhaps consider whether your "criticism" might be perceived by others as whiny and/or entitled. If so, perhaps don't post it. Just a thought! Not that reading through all the comments to these vids hasn't been entertaining in its own way...

Bdawg2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eccentrix: do u think it's a bit that they went on live stream and it looked like Jeff bakalar was upset...Jeff b loves this site. I hate people saying he's the reason for it sucking....ur the same people that said Patrick klepek made the site bad.. give it a couple months or go back and listen to beast cast Jeff b has been with this site from the beginning........at this point I just want them to tell u ur wrong.....it's never been some weird arg.

Bdawg2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Bdawg2002

The reason why I came to this site was Jeff Gerstmann..the reason why I stayed was people like Ryan Davis, Brad shoemaker. Vinny Caravella, Alex Navarro, Drew Scanlon. Even Dan....everyone hated him till we got to know him.....dan is so awsome...I love GB.........always have. I just think it's not an art....it's a mo**er f**king of giant bomb.

Bdawg2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason why I say this is we all don't get along with new people ....but who can't love Jan....we just need to give new people a chance...I honestly didn't like o till I heard 2 podcasts with him and I was hooked. Or Dan it took me like 3 months of podcasts till I hooked with him..so don't let one podcast fail u...All I know is voidburger is amazing.. and I can't wait for giantbomb to evolve. Is this a bit??? I HOPE NOT.

RimTiggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: This is very much my take on the whole thing. Unfortunately the GB crew have long operated in their own bubble and are loath to acknowledge or engage with any criticism of what they do, so I don't suppose any of the negativity will put them off sticking with this direction. At least until sub numbers start dropping off.

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My biggest problem is involving Bill Paxton's death in a giant gag when the dude was legitimately one of the most entertaining actors and wasn't a shithead in real life and died a pretty unfortunate death long before he should have gone. There are so many shitty people to joke about but leave Bill alone :( It's a crummy jumping off point for an esoteric bit or whatever they're going for.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@eccentrix: do u think it's a bit that they went on live stream and it looked like Jeff bakalar was upset...

Do you think this tweet is not a bit?

Is it realistic to think that in the face of a lawsuit, Jeff would openly panickedly tweet at a fake person?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By bacongames
@wheels1993 said:
@slax said:

@bacongames: Reel Layers killed Kingdom Heartache?

what bacon is saying is the people absolutely flipped out that it wasn't 100% straight serious playthru.. this community seems to have a problem with anything that isn't either 100% real gameplay, or podcasts about things.. the idea of a joke not being spelled out the entire way really bothers some people

are these bits my favorite? no.. but I'm not gonna be bothered enough to shout about like the people above me

Pretty much nailed it. What good is running a video game website for like 13 years if you can't fuck with the audience every once in a while.

Rakete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the apology video still online somewhere ?

taosd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

thello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a hunch this is going to turn out to be some sort of Giant Bomb ARG.

Hajimaemashte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reel Layers represents everything that is wrong with Giant Bomb today. A video made by people who think they are much funnier than they really are, trying to capture the millennial crowd who have fleeting interests to begin with.

Ironic that after saying that just pointing out the bad aspects of a work isn't enough, they approve a series that attempts to parody movie analysis without doing more.

But what does it matter that I'm saying any of this? This will probably finish up and get a season 2, because Giant Bomb is known for listening to its fans, yesiree

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this community is going to miss any of the "This once a month bit isn't to my liking so I'm cancelling my sub!" crowd. Fuckin bye

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Dareitus

@nickm: lol nah. Anyone threatening to cancel their sub over a single monthly show isn't worth having around even as a sub number. Toxic people who think every little thing the site does has to cater to them will just complain about whatever else they decide to do that isnt quicklooks and UPF. Not a real loss.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dareitus: I just find it weird how in a time when GB is pushing premium like never before, which tells me they need the subs, you feel like you get a say in who goes and who is gets to stay.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure about that. Premium sales hit around Christmas and Thanksgiving like clockwork. As for me, I've unsubbed for now. Having the podcast viewable when I finish work is nice but I've got what I need out of it. At least for now. I'll be back at some point.

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickm: what? I said the people who leave over this wont be missed i never said anything about who can and cant be here.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NickM

@shindig: In all the time that Premium has been around, I can’t recall a time when the “sale” has been on for such a long period of time and it’s been years since they’ve put on a show to drive subs, as with the “Bombathon”.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, in that respect, you're right. They haven't driven them up by use of an event since the Whisky Media days.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty sure the Bombathon was entirely Jess's idea, so I think it's the result of having a new staff member rather than some sort of desperation.

thebobster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheels1993: the intolerance of different opinion is incredible on this website.

No one should “go away” because they feel differently about the content than you.

Wheels1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebobster92: i just wish people understood that you don't HAVE to use comment sections to either gloriously praise or spitefully diminish something, I don't even LIKE the bit but boy howdy I sure am sick of watching people act like this show is a problem when it isnt

haven't watched an episode of Albummer bc I don't have an emotional connection with music. i don't go into that shows comments and go THIS ISNT WHAT I WANT PLEASE DO SOMETHING ELSE

RimTiggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will echo the sentiment that I find the comments sections far more annoying than the bit itself. From the word go it's been a garbage fire of people who are desperate to be in on any joke going declaring it the funniest thing they've ever seen, or the polar opposite with those acting like it's the most offensively unfunny thing on the internet.

Either way it gives the impression that the GB community spends a LOT of time on this website and this website alone. I don't see how anyone could have strong feelings about something so unremarkable otherwise.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#82  Edited By Humanity

This thread is a good indication that whatever the original intent, the end result has created more negativity from both those defending and those condemning the feature than anything else. At this point it’s just a bad look all around. Maybe they can turn the bit around but lately I’ve been seeing a lot of this “other people getting annoyed by this makes me like it even more” sentiment thrown around which just makes for a toxic atmosphere.

Rakete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has there ever been an ‘official’ comment on the fate of this format?

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rakete: I’m curious about this as well.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@rakete: I’m guessing that like Ranking of Evil, the feature is subject to “availability of minor celebrity” and they haven’t been available as they used to be.

That’s maybe been the weirdest aspect of Nu Giant Bomb. Before, if a premium series had a long break, it was like “Oh I guess Brad has better things to do than frustrate himself with a tough game, but he’s doing other stuff on the site.” Now it’s like “OK that freelance person’s series just fell off the face of the Earth, I guess other stuff came up and GB is like 9th on their list of business priorities.”

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@rakete said:

Has there ever been an ‘official’ comment on the fate of this format?

Next episode is coming soon: