What games are you looking forward to in 2024?

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AtheistPreacher

Another year, time for another list of games we're looking forward to. FWIW here's last year's thread.

I'm genuinely interested to see what everyone else is anticipating. I'm sure I've forgotten and/or overlooked some things. I'm making this initial list mostly for my own reference, so I can better keep track of what's coming that I actually care about.

I'll list everything by order of release date, so far as it's been announced.

Persona 3 Reload (February 2): Persona 3: FES was my first Persona game, and it's still a sentimental favorite. Safe to say that this remake is one I'm hotly anticipating (especially after they did not do justice to the Persona anniversary re-release). At this point it's been a decade and I've forgotten much of the main story (though @zombiepie's excellent_blogs have refreshed my mind somewhat) so I think the combination of novelty and nostalgia should really do it for me. I do feel fairly certain that Atlus will eventually pull their usual stunt of releasing a new version of the game 1-2 years later (which will hopefully include the currently missing Female MC), and if I was more disciplined, maybe I would wait for that. But who am I kidding... I'm definitely getting this one at launch.

Helldivers 2 (February 8): I did quite enjoy that first game. It's not entirely clear whether the change from isometric to 3rd-person over-the-shoulder will hurt or help with the immersiveness, but I'm willing to give it a shot. The gameplay and the humor are a potent combination that I hope won't be lost with the sequel.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree (February?): A credible leak placed the release date in February, which makes a certain amount of sense, given that the original game came out in February 2022, so it would be the two-year anniversary. I'm definitely ready to dive back in to Elden Ring just as soon as this thing gets released.

Dragon's Dogma 2 (March 22): The first Dragon's Dogma not only had good gameplay, but the most insane ending, story-wise, to a videogame that I had ever seen. If the sequel is even half as good as the original, we're in for a good time.

Rise of the Rōnin (March 22): After being smitten with Nioh and Nioh 2, I was less impressed with Stranger of Paradise and Wo Long. That being the case, I don't think RotR will be a day 1 buy for me, but I'll surely be interested to see what the general reception is. If I have one wish for it, it's that Team Ninja will do away with any kind of randomized loot system, because they seem to suck at designing those.

Earth Defense Force 6 (Spring): EDF6 came out in Japan in August 2022. So far there has been no western release, but word is that it will get one sometime in 2024. It's not a game I'm going to pay full price for, but as soon as I see a half-off sale, I'll be happy to murder some giant alien insects, janky and low-budget as it all may be.

Hades 2 (Q2 Early Access): Hades 2 is supposed to enter early access in Q2 2024. Depending on what kind of discount/price they've got going, I may very well *buy* it then, though I'm not sure whether I'll actually want to start *playing* it until it's somewhere closer to complete. I certainly liked that first game as much as many other people on GB did, and so I'm naturally looking forward to the sequel.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII Remake: There are only a handful of games that have kept me playing to the next morning without realizing it. I distinctly remember a moment in my childhood when I was playing RotTK7 on my PS2 and kept playing "just one more turn" until there was light coming through the windows at about 7am, and I realized what a mistake I had made. TBH, I remember 7 and 10 more fondly than 8, but I still have the latter PS2 disc sitting in my shelf, and if this is the one they've decided to remake, that's fine with me. IMO these are some all-time great strategy games, largely unappreciated, and I'm looking forward to this remaster.

Xenonauts 2: I have very, very fond memories of playing the original X-COM: UFO Defense on the PS1 with my identical twin brother (available on Steam for $5, FWIW... or on sale for $1.24 through January 4, hint, hint... genuinely shocking how modern a 30-year-old game can feel). Xenonauts is basically a homage to that game, one that hews more closely to it than the more recent Firaxis remakes. The first Xenonauts was good, and the second one looks to be even better. It recently entered Steam early access, and I've mostly stayed away, waiting for a more final product. Not sure that it will actually happen in 2024, but regardless, I'm looking forward to the final release of this thing, whenever Goldhawk Interactive actually finishes it.

Hollow Knight: Silksong: This thing has been delayed a lot. Most recently it was slated for a Q1/Q2 2023 release, which clearly never happened. But it has to come out sometime... right? Right? IMO, that first game is the best 2D Souls-like there's been, with apologies to James Silva, and I can't wait to jump back in to a new Team Cherry adventure.

Drumroll7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hades 2 is very exciting. I'm still not sure if I should play while it's in early access, I did that for Hades 1 from day one.

Silksong too, for sure.

I'd add The Rise of the Golden Idol, The Plucky Squire and No Rest for the Wicked - whenever they'll come out

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

The Riven remaster is at the top of my list of most anticipated games coming out in 2024 and it is not even a competition.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ben_H

Mostly the Persona 3 remake. I replayed Persona 3 FES last year and it was definitely old feeling so to be able play that game but without all of the tedious stuff that was present in the PS2 versions of those Persona games would be great.

It's already out but I'm looking forward to playing more Against The Storm since I just started playing it now. I saw that it had a demo yesterday so I played like a half hour of it before immediately buying it. That's extremely a game for me. It's basically roguelite city builder with Civ/RTS-like resource management (Also reminds me a bit of those Majesty games if anyone remembers those). I've played my first full cycle of it and I'm not even technically done the tutorial yet. There's entire parts of the game completely blocked off to me still. It's also a fantastic podcast game and the most popular community controller layout for it for Steam Deck makes that an entirely viable way to play the game. It's so good.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth and Prince of Persia are the only 2 things on my radar right now.

Honestly, there were too many stellar releases last year that I'm still playing catch-up with. It'd be nice if 2024 slowed down a bit.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Tekken 8 for now, i've got some unknowns though, i wonder if Radio the Universe will come out in 2024, Selaco is due to hit early access this year and projected to be finished by "2026" so i'll probably play it in 3 years time, i just learned about Penny's Big Breakaway which looks like a fun time.

But man there's so many older games i haven't played yet, Tekken 8's easy i can just do some fights whenever but it's taking me forever to get through games these days.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

According to my Notes app that I use to track upcoming releases (sorry for the American date format):

1/24 - Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth

2/8 - Helldivers 2

2/13 - Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden (maybe)

2/22 - Pacific Drive

2/28 - Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster

3/22 - Dragon's Dogma 2

4/23 - Tales of Kenzaria: ZAU

4/26 - Manor Lords

Q1 - Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor

Q1 - Songs of Conquest 1.0

Q2 - Hades 2

??? - Heartworm (game currently has no publisher?)

TBD - Little Kitty Big City, The Plucky Squire, Replaced, STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl, Still Wakes the Deep, Tales of the Shire: A Lord of the Rings Game, Valheim 1.0, The Wandering Tower, and Witchfire (Steam release)

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By AV_Gamer

I'm also looking forward to the Persona 3 remake. I've tried to play Persona 3 FES after I finished Persona 4, because of how much I liked that game. But the gameplay mechanics were such a step back that I quickly gave up on it. The remake should have all the streamline gameplay of Persona 5 and possibly more, making the game much more approachable.

Hades 2 should be interesting.

The Elden Ring story DLC.

Possibly more DLC for Final Fantasy XVI. I have a feeling Square-Enix is going to be supporting that game a lot, since it's mostly made by the people who did Final Fantasy XIV Online.

The Last of Us: Part 2 Remaster. Mainly because it's a director's cut version of the game with a potential fun new mode.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Maybe I'll play the demo beforehand, since I did finish the story of Gaiden. And you need to do so to access the demo.

I would say Hellblade 2, but I think that game is stuck in development limbo.

I'm interested in Helldivers 2, since it seems to be a huge step up from the original game, and I've never played it.

Silksong, the once planned DLC for Hollow Knight, which is now a full standalone game and an official sequel.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@av_gamer said:

I'm also looking forward to the Persona 3 remake. I've tried to play Persona 3 FES after I finished Persona 4, because of how much I liked that game. But the gameplay mechanics were such a step back that I quickly gave up on it. The remake should have all the streamline gameplay of Persona 5 and possibly more, making the game much more approachable.

Yeah, that was the same for me when I went back to it. I originally played P3 FES before Persona 4 so back in the day I didn't know what I was missing then. Going back to it after playing any of the later games is pretty tough. In pretty much everything you do in the game there's something that will stick out and feel clunky from there being no fast travel to fusing, item management, party management, party gear/equipment (You can't manage this from the primary menus), and even the arcane way social links work in the game (some are on a timer and also some of them are hidden until fairly deep into other social links).

Even just having fusion search will make a massive difference.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have no idea what's coming out when anymore, but here's some stuff I'm looking forward to.

Earthblade

Spirit Swap

Demonschool

Beastieball

Lost Records: Rage and Bloom

Tales of Kenzera Zau

Little Kitty, Big City

Mika and the Witch's Mountain

Magical Delicacy

Tracks of Thoughts

Hades 2

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GTxForza

The ones I'm mostly looking forward to are:

• Assetto Corsa 2
  • Le Mans Ultimate
  • GTR Revival (If it's announced for 2024)
  • Rennsport
  • Expeditions: A MudRunner Game
  • Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown
mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mellotronrules

so far there isn't a hot-button brand new release i'm actively anticipating, but i'd say i'm very likely to give these a spin:

tlou2 remaster - as a big fan i'm stoked to see the cut content and other supplemental material

like a dragon: infinite wealth - i've just started yakuza: like a dragon, but so far i'm enjoying it more than yakuza: zero

homeworld 3 - pure curiosity

ff7 rebirth - wasn't head-over-heels for remake, but i'm curious to see how this one compares

space marine 2 - enjoyed the 1st, here's hoping the 2nd is equally as good

elden ring dlc - as a bit of a elden ring skeptic (relative to the fervor; i enjoyed it but it isn't in my top 3 From games) i'm curious about this one more for conversation than expecting a mind-blowing experience

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 but I don't think that'll ever come out