What fictional universe do you prefer: StarCraft or Warhammer 40K?

• 122 results
benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By benspyda

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By benspyda

Forgetting that blizzard games seem heavily inspired by Warhammer, which universe do you enjoy the most? Both have been expanded upon and have great back stories. But overall which do you prefer?

I've always loved the Warhammer 40K universe and how crazy it is but never really cared much for their fantasy stuff. StarCraft is fine and the story is solid but I can't bring myself to care about the backstory.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Strife777

I like Starcraft better because it's more science fiction than ''future medieval'' or whatever. I also prefer the aesthetics.

I do find the Warhammer fiction interesting, but I'm always weirded out (not necessarily a negative) by how religious the Space Marines are.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

The Emperor Protects.

Not so much heavily inspired as blatantly ripped off. Both universes has their merits however, 40k being way richer (plentier, more fleshed out, etc) on lore and fluff than Starcraft could ever hope to become. I do however love Starcraft, and hope it will continue growing, community and game wise.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Stepside

I'm a big 40K fan but I also love SC. I think the main difference is the heavy lore behind 40K whereas StarCraft deals more with personal relationships within the big picture.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benspyda

@Asrahn: I guess Blizzard have put more resources into the StarCraft multiplayer than their fiction.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

I guess I like Starcraft more, but fuck you for making me choose, man.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VanderSEXXX

@Asrahn said:

The Emperor Protects.

Not so much heavily inspired as blatantly ripped off. Both universes has their merits however, 40k being way richer (plentier, more fleshed out, etc) on lore and fluff than Starcraft could ever hope to become. I do however love Starcraft, and hope it will continue growing, community and game wise.

This!

Storywise yes Warhammer 40K all the way but when it comes to some aesthetic design regarding only the Space Marine's Power Armour when compared to the Terran Marine's Power Armour, I guess I'll go with Starcraft even if its alot weaker(by lore) due to its beautiful design. And I guess Blizzard did such since they turn those power armoured troops into expendable numbers like Warhammer's Imperial Guardsmen and also in the name of balancing the game for competitive multiplayer purposes which the franchise is known for anyway.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By icicle7x3

I love Starcraft, but BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seedofpower

@Asrahn said:

The Emperor Protects.

That he does, brother.

If would have asked me this 4 years ago, I would have said starcraft but since then I have read 21 Warhammer 40k novels and counting. Starcraft doesn't feel galaxy expanding and I can't believe that the soul fate of their universe is in the hands of 7-9 people.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By shirogane

Starcraft. 40K Space Marines are total jerks, Eldar are deceptive bastards...and so on.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

40K easily.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

I care about Jimmy & his gang and it has that special Blizzard charm...

...but Warhammer 40k gets Space Marines better than anyone and Orcs are so much fun to slaughter. The overall lore appeals to my fondness for bad assery.

StarCraft 2 for the characters, Warhammer 40k for the setting. So I'll have to go with Warhammer 40k.

My exposure to the StarCraft universe is limited to StarCraft 2. I only know about Warhammer 40k, what I learned in my brief stint as Ultramarine Captain Titus in Relic's 'most badass game experiece of the year 2011' - Warhammer 40k : Spoice Muuhreen. Strategical value : ABSOLUTE!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I refuse to choose. I love them both. 40K for being balls crazy an super grim and Starcraft for having some awesome characters. Zeratul, Jimmy, Kerrigan, all awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shirogane said:

Starcraft. 40K Space Marines are total jerks, Eldar are deceptive bastards...and so on.

HERESY

Starcraft I think, is only ripped off from WH40K in very broad areas. SC Marines are only similar to Space Marines aesthetically, and vaguely at that. If you need a guy in plausible power armor, he's probably going to look like one of them. I would say Fallout's Brotherhood of Steel power armor looks a lot more similar than SC's. The Terrans and the Imperium of Man are nothing alike other than that they were both separated from Earth for a long period of time, but this only appears in WH40k's back story. The Tyranids and Zerg are the most similar but these both come from Xenomorphs. Aliens' Colonial Marines have more to do with the Terrans than the Imperium. I don't know much about the Eldar but they too seem to have very little to do with the Protoss. The Protoss almost seem more like the Tau. Either way, both are "Tolkien elves in space".

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kyreo

For. The. Emperor.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By herocide

@Asrahn said:

The Emperor Protects.

Right on, battle brother.

I believe Warcraft was originally going to be a Warhammer Fantasy game developed by Blizzard for Games Workshop, but for some reason GW didn't like it (I think it was something like the mechanics of the game didn't match the squad-based combat of Warhammer) so they pulled the plug on it. Blizzard wasn't going to just drop all the development work that went into the game, so they rebranded it, sold it as Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans and became the gigantic franchise it has become today. So GW screwed up some hard in that respect. Starcraft was the natural progression to match WH40k and Relic has picked up game development for GW since, while Vigil Games (Darksiders) is working on Dark Millenium Online, which I hope oh so much does not get canned due to THQ's situation right now. All-in-all, 40k all the way, heretics.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SquirrelGOD

I don't think I could choose between "Space Truckers" and "Space British". It's like chocolate and peanut butter, I like 'em both.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benspyda

@Shirogane said:

But that's the fun of it. All the races are evil/selfish in their own way.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GaspoweR

There was a story I've read a long time ago that Blizzard attempted to get the Warhammer license from Games Workshop but never got it since they were not interested in going into the video game market at the time. As a result, Blizzard went ahead and made their own fiction starting with Warcraft and the rest was pretty much history.

In relation to 40k, some units in Starcraft are heavily derivative from some of the units within the 40k Universe. The Zerg are very similar to the Tyranids. The Protoss are an amalgamation of many races within the 40k universe. They are similar to the Eldar and Tau in a sense with the Tau more so with the look of the race and the Eldar in terms of culture, and to a degree the Space Marines as well. The Protoss Dragoon is also derivative of the Space Marine Dreadnaught being that both units are piloted by a warrior who has already perished. I would probably say that in terms of fiction, I like the 40k universe more. I also had a more fun time playing the Space Marine and Dawn of War games.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By ssj4raditz

I've never had any dealings with either franchise.

So, uh... Battletech! Yeah...

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By nintendoeats
No Caption Provided
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coakroach

40K because EVERYONE is an asshole.

Also because I never got into Starcraft.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHT

Warhammer 40k is significantly more crazy than Starcraft, so that.

I was thinking about this today, when Ryan said that all fantasy worlds are worlds, and so are in space, so there's science fiction in those fantasy worlds. Well Warhammer 40k is the science fiction to the fantasy world of Warhammer. Cool stuff.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Marz

I find the 40k universe alot more interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

It really comes down to whether I like space Confederates or space Catholics more.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By koshka

@benspyda said:

@Asrahn: I guess Blizzard have put more resources into the StarCraft multiplayer than their fiction.

This, and there's nothing wrong with it for me.

As for 40k, I love the fiction, and goddamn love the Tyrannids. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I actually have an easier time with the rationality of certain things in the 40k universe, whereas with SC I get taken aback at how limited everything is. Overall, space marines (sc) are a watered down version of Space Marines... (40k) and I think anyone can draw about a dozen different crossovers. As games though? I find starcraft to be more fun.

No matter what, the races of 40k are fleshed out better, make more sense (I don't want to go into it, but I've had hours of discussion about this), and really draw far more shades of color and emotion than starcraft ever will. Now, when it comes down "drawing on more personal relationships than 40k", you simply aren't very familiar with the 40k universe....

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GaspoweR

@benspyda said:

@Shirogane said:

But that's the fun of it. All the races are evil/selfish in their own way.

Everything is gray in the 40k universe, which it makes it more compelling.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@benspyda: Warhammer, how is that even a question? First of all Starcraft started as a Warhammer game, second of all Warhammer has a HUGE amount of fiction. Starcraft less so. Starcraft's is fine, but it's not Warhammer.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BisonHero

I used to like the Starcraft universe, except then Starcraft 2 came out, and apparently Blizzard has no interest in fleshing out the setting or mythology in the games anymore. It was mostly just the same old major players (Raynor, Kerrigan, Mengsk, Zeratul), and then irrelevant secondary characters; Valerian was alright, and then there was super mysterious shadowy black villain guy, who is a dumb idea for a character. Whatever, I guess it's for 11-year-old kids now.

All the new planets in Starcraft 2 were irrelevant to everything, and the only ones with any significance were from previous games.

And the plot was just "find this Xel'Naga MacGuffin to use against Kerrigan; also, we retconned the Zerg so that they're basically Warcraft Orcs now".

The Starcraft universe is at an all-time low, so 40K gets my vote.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By crusader8463

Warhammer. I don't care for any of Blizzards games or the universes they are set in.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chrissedoff

There are so many things in Warhammer 40,000 that are insane and totally unlike any other fiction that I've heard of.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By mike

Warhammer and Space British all the way. Starcraft lore seems like an afterthought in comparison.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Doctorchimp

While the protoss are awesome...

Only one universe has the Emperor of Mankind,

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Skald

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fattony12000

/grimdark

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seedofpower

@Fattony12000: Dorn approves

No Caption Provided

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vodun

StarCraft: No Tau. 40k: Tau

For the greater good!!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Starcraft, I can't get into 40K for some reason, just can't.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BigChickenDinner

All I have to say is that GW takes this one. Original IP for the win.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By JoeyRavn

@SquirrelGOD said:

I don't think I could choose between "Space Truckers" and "Space British". It's like chocolate and peanut butter, I like 'em both.

Space British Truckers. Boom.

On topic, I'll say Warhammer 40K. But honestly, I know next to nothing of both universes. 40K looks more appealing, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck Warhammer. I never cared for or liked Warhammer anyway...

Starcraft and Warcraft all the way!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By imsh_pl

I love SC but WH40k's lore is just too damn rich. Anytime I pick up a codex or end up watching a WH40k related vid I proceed to spend the next hour or so reading about all the amazing nuances of the world and each of the fantastically crafted races.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By supamon

"Get 'em boyz!
Dakka dakka dakka!
WAAAAGH! THE ORKS!
WAAAGH!"
-Rotgob, Ork Strategist

Gotta Love them space orks and them space humies. Like a lot of people here have said, there is so much lore in WH40K that it makes other IPs look like a children's bed time story book in comparison.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By Humanity

I love me some 40k that universe is messed up. I didn't even know StarCraft had an especially deep background.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Why would someone create such a thread? I guess the OP just want to see the world burn D:

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By unchained

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Addfwyn

I never could get into the Warhammer universe, there never seemed like a cohesive place to 'start' whenever I was interested in trying. Nobody can seem to agree on a logical progression of fiction for the series so I never have any idea what I should read/do/play first and in what order. Starcraft universe was a lot more approachable, though there is also a lot less of it. 2 games and a relatively small amount of outside fiction that is put together in a pretty easy to follow order.

I can appreciate the sheer scope of something like the Warhammer universe, but it just seems like something that you are either in from the beginning and very dedicated to, or are just never going to grasp properly. I'm part of that latter category.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By aspaceinvader

I think blizzard tried to get the licence to make war hammer 40k and when that failed that's how Starcraft came into existence.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gargantuan

I grew up with Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k and have been collecting that stuff for over 15 years and I have to say that I prefer the Starcraft universe. 40k writing has become so boring the last 5-10 years. It's all so GRIM DARK!!! (I hate that term) and it has lost so much of the fun stuff. There's no shades of grey in 40k, everything is pitch black or very dark grey and it's so dull. That's why I've gone back to the 2nd Edition of 40k. Better rules, very interesting army lists (Squats and Genestealer Cults!) and funnier backround.

I'd rate them like this
1: Old 40k
2: Starcraft 
3: Current 40k