The Community Spotlight 2024.02.17

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the site-related news and best community creations from the previous week! For those of you that have enjoyed Giant Bomb's previous live events and panels, the staff's PAX East plans have been officially announced via the PAX schedule and it looks like a back-to-back PAX panel on Friday night, March 22nd, at PAX East! The staff will be hosting a live in-person VMDT and then follow it up with Dandoko Dare live!

The dates and times in case you wanted them.
The dates and times in case you wanted them.

Noted Detroit sports fan Jeff Grubb made a guest appearance on the Remap podcast to talk about the Lions' miracle season and the absolute heartbreak of how their season ended. For those of you that enjoy the NFL, this is obviously right up your alley.

@jearum, who has previously created some incredible Giant Bomb artwork and some of which you can still buy in the Giant Bomb Store, is going through a rough patch. To get through it, they are offering commissions at $40 for full color and background illustrations with an unlimited number of revisions. Whether you want them to make some Jan, Mike, Dan, or Grubb-based art or something completely unrelated to the site, they are open!

Finally, someone reached out to me to share that Giant Bomb stuff, including the Community Spotlight is appearing in the GameSpot News sidebar on GameFAQs and elsewhere on the Fandom network of websites. I was under the impression that this was not going to happen for another week or so. But, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, Giant Bomb stuff is getting cross-posted across various Fandom sites. I can't reveal what the next steps are for this experiment, but based on my previous conversations with Fandom higher-ups, things are exciting.

A fun surprise.
A fun surprise.

Galleria

Miquanchi x Travis Kelce (By: @kone)

The Super Bowl sure did happen last weekend and it was a blast for like... the last ten minutes. Regardless, Kone decided to combine Blight Club with one of the more memorable moments from the world famous sporting event.

Miquanchi Valentine's Day Card (By: @ogto)

Valentine's Day might be past us, but that's no excuse to not "bless" your significant other with a Valentine's Day card with Mike's fully dresses Quan Chi get-up! This is a real test of one's relationship!

Alolan Version Of Mike, Dan, and Jordan Middler As Digglets (By: @KinguAmoz)

To promote the Bombcast Revengance on Twitter, Giant Bomb edited a photo of Mike, Dan, and guest Jordan Middler as three bald Digglets just hanging out. KinguAmoz decided to have some fun with this and I encourage more of you to do the same!

original
original

Video

Fire-less Victory - A Giant Bomb Blight Club Animated Clip (Episode 3) (By: Pickle Giraffe)

EPISODE THREE IS HERE BAYBEEE! For those of you that missed the previous episodes of this fan-made animated adventure with Miquanchi through Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, here's episode 1 and episode 2!

Tweets

Activities

Rollerdrome Is The 4th Game Of Year 3 Of The Game Pass Game Club! Finish by February 26! (By: @bigsocrates)

I know some of you put Rollerdrome on your GOTY lists, so, now is the time for you to shine!
I know some of you put Rollerdrome on your GOTY lists, so, now is the time for you to shine!

Rollerdrome is the latest pick for the Game Pass Game Club! If you have any impressions of the game, whether it be its look, fast-paced gameplay, or eclectic music, join the discussion NOW!

Turnip Boy Robs A Bank Is The 3rd Game Of UUGPGC Year 3! Finish By February 12. SPOILERS OPEN!

Also, don't forget that the Game Pass Game Club has opened its discussion for Turnip Boy Robs a Bank to SPOILERS! Do you have any thoughts about this fun title by Snoozy Kazoo?

The Giant Bomb Album Club 052 - Horrified by Repulsion (By: @unclejam23)

Last chance to share how you feel about Turnip Boy robbing a bank!
Last chance to share how you feel about Turnip Boy robbing a bank!

It's time for something DIFFERENT with the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Album Club! This week the group is listing to the only full-length album from the grindcore band, Repulsion! That's right, we are listening to Repulsion!

Blogs

Lantern Rite Made Me Cry (Quest Spoilers) (By: @cikame)

Any Genshin fans out there?
Any Genshin fans out there?

cikame took to the site to pen a quick but emotional essay on why Genshin Impact's recent Lantern Rite quest made them cry. If you have played the quest as well, share your thoughts on their blog linked above!

Anyway, Here's WonderSwan (Part One) (By: @mento)

The WonderSwan was a Japan-only handheld with an incredibly impressive library. This week, moderator Mento gives the device the blog series it deserves on Giant Bomb! Catch the first episode of their special trying the find its gems!

What's The Greatest Video Game: TMNT Shredder's Revenge (By: @imunbeatable80)

Time for some retro handheld goodness from Mento this week!
Time for some retro handheld goodness from Mento this week!

After a short hiatus, imunbeatable80 is back with a new entry in their "What's The Greatest Video Game" series! This week, they tackled Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge! Where does it rank in terms of TMNT games?

Nights Of Hunters And Rescuers: Persona 3 Reload Review In Progress Chapter 3 (By: @infantpipoc)

infantpipoc finally crossed the thirty hour mark with Persona 3 Reload and they share their in-progress review of the game thus far! Read all about their impressions of the mid-game bosses and Mitsuru’s family arc!

Discussion Threads

Microsoft Has Confirmed 4 Xbox "Exclusives" Are Coming To Other Consoles. What Does This Mean For Their Future? (By: @bigsocrates)

OH NO, XBOX HAS LOST TIMDOG!
OH NO, XBOX HAS LOST TIMDOG!

Now that 4 Xbox exclusives are confirmed to be coming to other platforms, what do you think about the future of the Xbox brand? Did you feel like the 23 minute podcast answered more questions than it raised?

Skull & Bones Impressions Sharing Thread (By: @spacemanspiff00)

Skull & Bones is officially out! Crazy, right? That said, did any of you actually pick up the game? If you didn't, what held you back? For those that did, what are your thoughts so far?

Embracer's CEO States Layoffs Are "Something That Everyone Needs To Get Through" As Company Misses Q3 Targets (By: @zombiepie)

Are any of you giving this a shot?
Are any of you giving this a shot?

Embracer Group's CEO recently made comments in which they said: "Our overruling principle is to always maximize shareholder value in any given situation." What are your thoughts about these comments?

Sim City 3000 25th Anniversary (By: @aleen634)

There are a LOT of important video game anniversaries in 2024, but one that has gone completely under-reported is the 25th anniversary of SimCity 3000! Are there any Giant Bomb fans with fond memories of the game? Share them in this thread!

Will We (I) Inevitably Become Nostalgic Over Every Era Of Gaming Even If We (I) Didn't Love It At The Time? (By: @bigsocrates)

The CEO of Embracer seems to be suffering.
The CEO of Embracer seems to be suffering.

Here's a fun discussion thread on the forums! Do you think it is inevitable that we will become "nostalgic for every era of video games? Are there any eras of gaming you think will never be held in high regard?

Rise Of Ronin Will Not Release In South Korea. Some Point To Director Praising A Figure Popular With The Far-Right (By: @zombiepie)

So, a lot of people seem to be excited for the upcoming release of Rise of the Rōnin. However, the game's director has already made statements praising a historical figure popular with the far-right and the game isn't releasing in South Korea. Does any of this cloud your excitement?

One Piece Is In A New Golden Age (By: @sombre)

I wasn't expecting my excitement for Rise of Ronin getting murky this early.
I wasn't expecting my excitement for Rise of Ronin getting murky this early.

The latest story arc of the One Piece manga has definitely been polarizing, but what are your thoughts about it? More importantly, do you love or hate white-haired Monkey D. Luffy with god-like superpowers?

Lists

GOTY 2023 (By: @infinitespark)

I'm still happy to showcase your 2023 GOTY lists, by the way!
I'm still happy to showcase your 2023 GOTY lists, by the way!

In case you missed it earlier, InfiniteSpark finally got around to making a 2023 GOTY list on the site and they wrote a LOT for every game on their list! Also, feel free to keep me in the loop if you published a belated GOTY list as well.

Biohazard/Resident Evil List (By: @chatmonchies)

Despite being new to the site, chatmonchies decided to have a go at making a list on the site and started things off with a ranking of the Resident Evil games they have played! Give it a read and if you disagree with their list, consider making one of your own!

User Reviews

Remember when people were upset about this game being a JRPG?
Remember when people were upset about this game being a JRPG?

@yyninja is a long-standing fan of the Yakuza/Like a Dragon franchise and finally got around to completing Yakuza: Like a Dragon! Read why they think the shift to roleplaying gameplay conventions is a breath of fresh air.

Wiki Of The Week

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Anyone else have fond memories of this game?
Anyone else have fond memories of this game?

With Skull & Bones finally coming out, let's throw things back to the grand daddy of all pirate-themed video games! That's right, this edition of the Wiki Of The Week is for Sid Meier's Pirates! Check out our wiki page to learn why this Sid Meier game is still held in high regard!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hey @marino and @zombiepie, just a heads-up, I kept getting a 404 error on this on the main page. Link is just fine on the forums though.

jearum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thank you so much for including me in the article. I have got a lot of love in this community and I thank you all for it. People have been reaching out and taking commissions and it helps a lot.

You are all the best and I truly appreciate it. Cheers duders!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19