• 97 results
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sagesebas

What are your thoughts, I decided to start over on Fallout 3 and play as a female character. What are peoples thoughts on this, have you done it? do you feel weird doing it?

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

I always play female characters if I can.  If I'm looking at a character for X amount of hours, I'd rather be looking at bewbs.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Three0neFive

People actually care about such trivial shit?

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hourai

It mostly depends on how good the female characters look in the game. 

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ElegantRuby

No

Avatar image for dominatingfrance
DominatingFrance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DominatingFrance

For 3rd person games I take agreement with Snide's Rule that if you're looking at the virtual backside of a character it may as well be a virtual lady.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Venatio

I usually always play as ladies in RPG's, like I did it in Mass Effect and Fallout 3 for example

No special reason really

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FireSketch

I generally choose women, despite being a guy.
I'm not sure why it is really, maybe it's a more apparent seperation between real life and the game?

I really have no idea, I was trying to work it out yesterday.
Maybe Dave's been right all along ;)

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
@DominatingFrance said:
"For 3rd person games I take agreement with Snide's Rule that if you're looking at the virtual backside of a character it may as well be a virtual lady. "

That.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
@fwylo said:
" I always play female characters if I can.  If I'm looking at a character for X amount of hours, I'd rather be looking at bewbs. "
This.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

Sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't. 
Nothing about a freaking video game is ever gonna bother me.  

Haha, just imagine how a sad a person would have to be,  just to be bothered by other people playing a character of the opposite "gender" in a game.  

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

I plan on doing this for the next game I play with major character creation options. Anybody wanna suggest such a game and then regret doing so?

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Ace829

Ehhh I don't really care much. Just as long as the game is good. Although my female Commander Shepard kicks ass.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By apathylad

I have only done this in Pokemon games for some reason, starting with Sapphire.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Cwaff

Depends on the game really, I play a male Shepard but mostly females in other games.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icil
@Mr_Skeleton said:
" @DominatingFrance said:
"For 3rd person games I take agreement with Snide's Rule that if you're looking at the virtual backside of a character it may as well be a virtual lady. "
That. "
This always seems like a copout to me.

You'll never truly feel like you're in your characters' shoes if you are just staring at their virtual asses. Now, I have nothing against people playing their opposite gender, but it's almost always for the wrong reasons. It's not, "I prefer strong female heroes" but rather, "I LIKE ASSES".

By this same logic, you should just slap a pinup on your computer monitor while you surf the internet.  I mean, if I'm looking at some websites for X hours, they may as well be ones with female asses imposed on them, right?
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo

Fem Shepard (Jen Hale) > Male Shepard (Some Guy).  Not having a good default Fem Shepard model was a bit of an oversight though.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sagesebas

Snide's Rule what might this be?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sagesebas
@Icil: I would probably have to agree with you, on Mass Effect I chose a male character, and almost all the other games that have character creation as well. 
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By innacces14

My main in Mass Effect is male (Paragon by the way), but I made a female character to go Renegade and she's a hell of a tough gal, haha. But yeah, I'm pretty okay as playing a female character in RPG's. 

MMO's are another case though. They're basically social networking sites to me so playing as the opposite gender while being active in guilds is kind of creepy, haha. Just a peeve though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

I do it all the time.  Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, KOTOR, etc...  The only time I play males when given the choice is when I do my "evil" run of a game. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
@Icil said:
" @Mr_Skeleton said:
That. "
This always seems like a copout to me.  You'll never truly feel like you're in your characters' shoes if you are just staring at their virtual asses. Now, I have nothing against people playing their opposite gender, but it's almost always for the wrong reasons. It's not, "I prefer strong female heroes" but rather, "I LIKE ASSES".  By this same logic, you should just slap a pinup on your computer monitor while you surf the internet.  I mean, if I'm looking at some websites for X hours, they may as well be ones with female asses imposed on them, right? "

I will stop being lazy and explain myself with more than one word. I really enjoy stories in video games but I never liked the Half Life approach that you are the hero because im obviously not going to fight any aliens any time soon, to me its was always more like going to a movie and in order to put yourself in the character's shoes you need to relate to them not "be" them and because I control them I can relate to their actions. So when I play a female character in an RPG (I usually do a male run and a female run) it is like watching a movie with a female protagonist instead of a male protagonist because lets face it there is nothing sexy or beautiful in dudes.
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Organicalistic_
@fwylo:@Apathylad:@ZeForgotten: 

here is the question, do you name them a male name or a female name?
SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlasherMan

Same here. If the female characters in the game look good, I roll a female character. That's especially true for MMOs. Not so much in single player RPGs, though, but that usually depends on the game itself.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Capum15

I made both male and female characters for Fallout 3, though that's the only RPG I can recall doing that. No real reason, just felt like it. I gave them both "gender appropriate" names. I usually give all name-able characters normal-ish names.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By warxsnake

I end up playing both, played mass effect 4 times, twice male, twice fem.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zeforgotten
@organicalistic_: If it's a female character I just name her the first girl name that pops up. 
If it's a male character, well, it's pretty much the same just with guy names :P 

Although I did play through Fallout 3: GOTY on the PS3 with the normal name it gives you. 
I always thougt it was kinda funny when "Dad" would say 
"You're gonna need a name aren't you? Your mother and I have been thinking, what do you think about: Player Name?" 
Thanks Mom and Dad for thinking that through. 
"Oh noes! She's gonna die(OH NO! SPOILERS.. -.-)  
Good riddance, fucking "Player Name" ..  
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47

All my female characters for that game is female. I mean if your going to spend like 40 hours on a game, might as well stare at her ass because she's female.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fwylo
@organicalistic_: Never male names. I always name them something I like to think is badass for a girl.  My current Female Belf Rogue in WoW is Mazz.  My female Nelf priest is Illuminatu.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Icil
@Mr_Skeleton said:

" @Icil said:

" @Mr_Skeleton said:
That. "
This always seems like a copout to me.  You'll never truly feel like you're in your characters' shoes if you are just staring at their virtual asses. Now, I have nothing against people playing their opposite gender, but it's almost always for the wrong reasons. It's not, "I prefer strong female heroes" but rather, "I LIKE ASSES".  By this same logic, you should just slap a pinup on your computer monitor while you surf the internet.  I mean, if I'm looking at some websites for X hours, they may as well be ones with female asses imposed on them, right? "
I will stop being lazy and explain myself with more than one word. I really enjoy stories in video games but I never liked the Half Life approach that you are the hero because im obviously not going to fight any aliens any time soon, to me its was always more like going to a movie and in order to put yourself in the character's shoes you need to relate to them not "be" them and because I control them I can relate to their actions. So when I play a female character in an RPG (I usually do a male run and a female run) it is like watching a movie with a female protagonist instead of a male protagonist because lets face it there is nothing sexy or beautiful in dudes. "
I reread my post and I felt I sounded too hostile. So I'd rather say, if you want your hero to be a sexy female, that is okay (most male heroes are sexy to their female counterparts, it's pretty normal). But I am dismayed when people say that Fallout 3 is a 40 hour ass-staring fest. 

Sexy heroes can use their good looks and lust as a sort of trait that gets their character's job done. So I'm not against people lusting over their characters, I'm only against people saying they won't make male characters because they can't stand male asses. That's borderline homophobic.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#31  Edited By BeachThunder

If I have a choice, I'll always go female.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By HaroldoNVU

I can go both ways(heh!) if it's a tabletop or offline RPG. It depends on what I think would make a better character. On online RPGs I prefer to play as male characters because I don't like having strange guys hitting on me or having my character being called a shemale. Some times I wish MMO's would let you put a little ♂ or ♀ next to character's name so it would be more clear to strangers that I'm a guy playing a female character.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
@Icil: No worries I wasnt offended or anything just felt that I should elaborate on my opinion. Anyway if someone played fallout in third person perspective they played it wrong.
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sagesebas
@Mr_Skeleton: Kind of like playing Oblivion in third person.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@ElegantRuby said:
" No "
This right here supports my thinking that only guys (mostly guys) choose the opposite gender instead of their own, when given the choice, in single player RPGs and that females will always choose their own gender.  I actually believe that's accurate and I'd love to see a survey on such or something. 

I will always choose my own gender.  I'll also, if I have the option, modify the main character to look as closely to me as possible.  I'm playing as myself, if I were in that world, in every single RPG (except those that have a pre-set character with his own personality and physique).  Maybe I'll experiment with a female character after my first playthrough, to see how things could change, but I'll never start off as a girl.
Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#36  Edited By Somadude

I usually go girl in my RPG's.
EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EliasT
@DominatingFrance said:
" For 3rd person games I take agreement with Snide's Rule that if you're looking at the virtual backside of a character it may as well be a virtual lady. "
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

Its a game. You're weird for feeling weird.

benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By benjamimmy

If I get the choice in a game, Mass Effect is the only one I have played as a guy.  Apart from that I always choose a lady.

Avatar image for horsepuckishness
Horsepuckishness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Horsepuckishness

I mostly play as females. No idea why. I did however Choose a male for both Mass Effects.

Edit: should have read the post before mine :|

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By beforet

I don't make a habit of it, but I'm not against it. I plan on playing the lady when P3P comes out.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42  Edited By natetodamax

I usually do that on a second playthrough. Except for Mass Effect 1 and 2 because I can't stand the female Shepard voice.

pegasuswinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pegasuswinks
@DominatingFrance said:
" For 3rd person games I take agreement with Snide's Rule that if you're looking at the virtual backside of a character it may as well be a virtual lady. "
^ This
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44  Edited By wefwefasdf

It depends. I have played as a female but I usually just go with whatever the default character is. I'm terrible at creating characters. :p

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I played through World of Warcraft as a female character. I thought she fit the image of a fire mage.

It depends on the game. I might not have played it before but I get an urge one way or the other. In Mass Effect I was a guy, because the voice actor was so awesome!

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

Depending on the game, I'll do a playthrough of each, especially games where they actually treat the genders differently.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FacelessVixen

I did a second playthrough of Mass Effect 1 as a female Shepard. It was more fun than playing as a male because of the romantic exchanges with Kaidan and Liara. And I've beaten Borderlands twice with Lilith because her powers are awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I've never played as a female. I don't understand the reasoning behind it at all? The point of a game is to escape reality, so to say. Unless many of you are females on the inside, I don't see the reasoning. As much respect as I have for Dave, the rule doesn't make much sense. You are staring at pixels of clothes, there is no question of your sexuality. I can see the advantage by playing as a female in an MMO to take advantage of others (though this too is silly) but playing by yourself as a female makes no sense to me. 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I generally play a guy, just so as not to be one of those "I might as well be looking at a girl, hurr hurr" types. But more than that I try to fit it to the character. If I'm rolling a mage or a rogue type I can go either way, but making a straight up melee or tank character a lady just seems wrong. Call me sexist, but you know it to be true.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#50  Edited By sjschmidt93

In my old WoW guild every girl was a girl character, but probably 1/4 of the guys were chick characters.