October 2015 Poll - What is your primary gaming platform?

• 91 results
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Poll October 2015 Poll - What is your primary gaming platform? (835 votes)

PC 56%
PlayStation 4 29%
Xbox One 9%
Wii U 1%
PlayStation 3 1%
Xbox 360 1%
Wii 0%
3DS/2DS/New 3DS 1%
Vita 0%
Android phone or tablet 0%
iOS phone or tablet 1%
Other legacy console - Xbox, Ouya, PS2, TurboGrafx, etc - Please specify in comments. 0%
I haven't played any video games in 2015 1%

It's been a long time since we had a platform poll like this! I thought it would be cool to have everyone vote for their current primary gaming platform. I know a lot of people have multiple consoles, gaming PCs, and handhelds, but for the purposes of this poll you're going to have to do some soul searching and choose your primary platform. The plan right now is to follow this up with a new poll every year around this time, in the hopes of seeing how gaming trends in the Giant Bomb community change and develop over time.

My platform of choice in 2015, and in fact for the last few years, is the PC. I have always been primarily a PC gamer going back to the late 80s, but I've owned a lot of consoles over the years as well. I completely opted out of this console generation, going PC only for the first time since 2005 when the Xbox 360 was released. I do have a 3DS XL that sees occasional use, but I think I have spent more time on that thing playing the eShop version of River City Ransom than anything else. I still keep it around for use while traveling, but that's about it. I swear I'll get to those copies of Fire Emblem: Awakening and A Link Between Worlds eventually.

I think this community is mature enough to enjoy a discussion like this without getting into any kind of System Wars nonsense. Overly aggressive or argumentative posts or insulting others for any reason will be strictly moderated, so please keep that in mind when posting. If you want to insult and attack other people based on their platform of choice, please do that elsewhere. We don't like that kind of thing around these parts.

• 
buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By buneroid

If I could only keep one platform, it would be a personal computer.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently have a PC/PS4/WiiU setup going, but PC is my primary for sure.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Been pretty much PC main except for the PS2 and GC days (well then again I still did play PC games then). I still have a PS4 and most of the old consoles of note, but it pales in comparison to PC. I don't even have a console hooked up actually, just the PC.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

PC, after sticking with either one console or another for years.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#5 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I have an XONE, but PC is my shit. I don't think it would be possible for me to match any console library with my Steam library

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using my PS3, PS4, and PC about the same amount this year, but I guess most of the games I've been buying lately are for PS4, so I voted that. I haven't upgraded my PC in 5 years so I haven't even risked any big current-gen stuff; it's essentially an indie-machine now. As for the PS3, I'm still going through my backlog there, and Yakuza 5 is probably going to take up all my gaming time when it comes out, but because it's an old console and I'm not actively buying games for it anymore I'd feel bad saying it was my "primary" platform.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've always wanted to get more into PC gaming but I'm kind of lazy when it comes to my hobby of gaming. It's so nice to just plop on the couch and fire up the PS4 with no fiddling.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Looking at this poll I realize I am about 55/45 PS4/PC since May. I got MGS4 and Witcher 3 on console... that's a lotta hours. But then you've got Pillars of Eternity, AoEII and Civ V. Close call.

After the nes I grew up solely on 5 years behind pc games and that continued until I started collecting all the consoles and games of my lifetime. On PC, I usually play exclusive titles, the games this machine does best *revs up computer*. And what it does ain't very nice!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow... Xbox One and Wii U are tied at just 5%. That surprises me for some reason.

Anyway, I'm kind of flying with just the PC right now. Had an Xbox One, loved Sunset Overdrive but didn't generally use it much for anything else. I also own a Wii U, which I need to play more Mario Maker and Smash on but is in no way primary platform. Would use my old 360 more if I could be bothered to keep paying for Gold, since I love the occasional blood boiling match of Gears, but meh.

But yeah, PC.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 for now partly due to convenience and partly from Metal Gear eating up my free time last month. My PSTV is getting a little love due to P4D but I'm ashamed to say I haven't booted up my Wii U since I moved back to college. I keep wanting to since Bayonetta 2 has been staring at me for almost a year but I've been more wanting to just be able to turn my mind off and run some side ops in Metal Gear lately. Similarly I haven't actually played a PC game since I moved back in either!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no choice for me, as I play on multiple consoles, so there is no primary.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By thebunnyhunter

All my time goes to my PS4, which is weird because last year it was my PC more than my console. I think Destiny and the group of friends dictated the change....and getting away from League and Dota.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bceagles128

I own a a PS4, a Wii u, and a pretty good PC but I play most things on PS4 because I'm most comfortable in that ecosystem.

• Most of my friends are there;
  • I like gaming on my 54 inch tv and it's a pain the ass to hook up my PC to it;
  • I like my trophies;
  • I prefer physical copies over digital;
  • And I cannot get the stupid Ps4 controller driver to work on my PC.

That said, I do play a lot of stuff on steam (particularly anything that I think is designed to be played with mouse and keyboard as opposed to controller)

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For big releases my primary platform is currently the PS4. I sometimes buy new games on PC but I only have a laptop right now so it's usually the smaller less graphically intensive games.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC always reigns supreme for me.
Xbox One is close behind, I know more people that play on Xbox than PC.
WiiU
3DS

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

PC.

EDIT: I posted this on a phone, came across it again, and figured I'd edit it a whole day and a half later!

If possible, I do tend to buy the PC version of games these days. Up until about two months ago or so, PC was the only current gaming platform I had. To be honest, I'd still be OK if it was the only platform, but I came across a TV and Xbox One combo that I thought sounded pretty great so I went for it. If you had told me five months ago that I would be spending a fair amount of time using an Xbox One that I just bought a little while ago, I'd have laughed - there's not enough games on next-gen consoles to justify their purchase! Well, there still aren't many games, but I've got the games I wanted for it and two more are coming out later this year that I want to buy for it, so for now, I don't feel like I wasted money.

PC's still my primary for obvious reasons - a wider selection of games that look and perform better and cost less - but it's nice to own a current console.

I also occasionally play games on my 3DS and Vita, although those are seeing less use than they once were.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rawrz

Xbox One

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#18 riostarwind  Moderator

I may own them all but PS4 continues to be my primary device. I've always preferred the controller and psplus continues to feed me my monthly dose of indie games.

At different points of time I could easily make a case for one of the other devices as well. Like how I've actually been playing my vita a lot lately compared to everything else.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Where's the Playstation TV option? only half joking as that's become a reasonably used secondary device for me.

I'm on team PC these days. That's where my gaming friends play, I need one for work stuff anyway, there are tons of great console ports (not counting WB games) now, the gameprices very low, and the consoles haven't produced enough exclusives to entice me back.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've a PC, PS4 and Vita. Currently my PS4 is my primary platform because the graphics card in my PC is starting to show it's age and I live in a small apartment that doesn't have a great set up for playing games with a keyboard for long periods of time.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps4 currently. I have only played a couple games on pc this year. Vita/android are my secondary platforms. Played alot of time clicker on my phone.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Even though I've been playing lots and lots of MGS V on my PS4 lately, I'd still consider the Xbox One to be my main gaming platform. Especially after the release of Forza 6.

I'd like to get back into PC gaming in a big way, but I don't want to invest in a hardware upgrade before all the VR stuff comes out.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I would say the PC.

Gaming for me is spread out between my PC, PS4, Vita, and Wii U. I just gravitate to random games on those platforms and it doesn't feel like I really have a "main" platform. The PC is my most played platform this year, because I was heavily into Hearthstone and there were plenty of other random games I played on PC like Diablo III and Cities: Skylines. Right now I'm playing catch up with a lot of games on PC, like Life is Strange and Her Story.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox One for multiplayer games and PC for single player games. Other than MGSV I've been spending way more time with my Xbone lately.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC, but most of the backlog I do want to get through is on the PS3 and PS2, both of which remain connected beneath my TV. I kept on juggling with the idea of buying a PS4, but I'm already so busy with the games that I can play that I don't see it being much beyond a waste of money and space at the moment.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26 sweep  Moderator

I mean, probably PC overall, but since I moved country I've only had my PS4 for company.

That will probably change soon. I'm getting dota withdrawals.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

PC just nudges out the PS4 for me, although I might be using the latter a touch more right now (FIFA 16, Destiny TTK, MGS V). But even so I'm still playing a lot of stuff on my PC on a regular basis: the likes of Hearthstone, Isaac Rebirth, Mad Max, some of the recent "big discussion" indie titles. It'll definitely swing a little more back towards the big box when Fallout 4 and Battlefront come out (though it's possible I'll get Battlefront on both depending on how many of my friends get it).

I also love my Wii U, and even my 3DS + Vita. They still see a decent amount of use.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhhh, when you have a baby to look after, handheld is the only way to game easily. So 3ds and Vita at the moment.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: PM me some thoughts on Russia/Syria mayhap? Seems mildly interesting, though nowhere near as interesting as Ukraine.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently it's been between MGSV on PS4 and Splatoon/Mario Maker on WIIU, but also stuff like Grim Dawn and Gary's Mod on PC. So kinda all over the place.

But as we get further into this gen, I see myself playing more and more on PS4 because my computer is dated.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OurSin_360

Pc and PS4, can't really say one over the other I game on both equally i think.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By onarum

The disparity between ps4 and xone is quite impressive, I didn't knew it was quite like that.

as for me its the PC, has been since I built one 3 years ago and retired my good ol' PS3.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this poll happened a month and a half ago I would of said 360. However, the backlog for my 360 is so massive that after I beat L.A. Noire which was one of the last remaining "I really gotta play this game" games on my list the thought of going through the rest of my backlog felt like work. So I moved back over to my One and decided to tackle my 360 backlog again once backwards compatibility hits and when the One has a dry month or two in terms of game releases.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

In order PC > WiiU > 3DS > PS3

Basically when I'm home it's the PC, but when I'm at university it's the WiiU

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mainly play on PS4, but still have Xbox One and a decent gaming PC from 2012. I like playing on a big screen and laying back on the couch, opposed to sitting in a computer chair. Still, I go to Steam for new indies games I'm interested in (Grow Home, Gravity Ghost, Cinders, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Her Story), since they come out there first (if anywhere) and because of all the deals and discounts.

I might game more on PC, depending on how well the Steam Link, works.

I got a Xbox One when Titanfall came out, never really got into it. Played Forza Horizon 2, fun game, played Sunset Overdrive, great game, was disappointed in the buggy mess that was Halo Master Chief Collection, played Dying Light on XBO feeling guilty for not using very much, loved the game and beat and haven't really touched the XBO that often since. I'm still looking forward to Halo 5 and Tomb Raider, but after that idk. Quantum Break and Gears 4 will probably both be decent to good third person shooters, I will likely play them but not really excited about them like I would be for new a Bioshock, Mass Effect or GTA.

quantum break

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually it is my pc but right now i'm playing MGSV on my PS4 since my pc isn't good enough to run it.

Whippyice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i found this really hard to answer i put xbox one but really it just depends on what games are out and when,

pc when its big RPG's Xbox for racers and exclusives and ps when its 3rd person action and exclusives

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 although I REALLY want to put together a new gaming PC for myself.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Corvak

PC primary, XBO/PS4/WiiU for exclusives and multiplayer things friends might want to play.

PC has HDMI-out so once I launch a game it can function just like another console if I feel like couch playing.

ElectricViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Less than one percent of users who responded to the poll primarily use the Wii U. Where's the other guy?

:(

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@jeffrud: It'll be my primary platform in like 6 years when I want to play all those delicious exclusives at once. 5 more Xenoblades, 10 more Bayonettas, 50 more Mario Makers.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By colourful_hippie

PC forever and always followed by Wii U, 3DS, iPhone, and then Xbox One...but I think my Xbox will finally get more attention with Halo 5 and Rock Band 4 coming out

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been deep into the Xbox ecosystem for a long, long time. The Xbox One, as a result, remains my primary avenue for gaming.

pontoon_yacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm the kind of weirdo who plays games almost exclusively on iPad.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've been mostly a PC guy for the past few years, but I've started shifting over to PS4. This is likely because my laptop is starting to show its age and I can't exactly afford to build my own PC while also paying tuition.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, I don't know...it fluccuates all the time. I spread my gaming out between a PS4, XboxOne, Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and WiiU. It'd be hard to pick one and say this is what I play on the most.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Currently it's PC, because I play around 28 hours of Heroes of the Storm a week. So everything else is just secondary. I do play alot on the PS4 and XBOX ONE but only as secondary to the PC. The funny thing is my PC is a two year old laptop. So I'm not exactly a PC gamer or part of the Master Race! But hey, the truth is the truth.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ezekiel

Exclusively PC. I have a list of games I might get a PS4 for, but I really dislike consoles, so it's still a difficult decision.

• Bloodborne: The Old Hunter Edition
  • Uncharted 4
  • Horizon
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us
  • God of War 3
  • Until Dawn
  • Ni-Oh
  • Gravity Rush and GR 2
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture