• 73 results
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mizine said:

Look. There are a number of things here. I am sure what they are saying is mostly the truth, however, if you watch even the first 15 minutes of the interview... none of them mention GB. It's "that company" or whatever, and they could be talking about Red Ventures, but talking around the name Giant Bomb gives bad feelings.

This would sound a lot less like a personal narrative if it weren't for how much Vinny directly references Giant Bomb and Giant Bomb East a few minutes later around 18:30. It just wasn't a direct question until that point.

Yeah and the Nextlander pod itself has mentioned multiple times things they did at Giantbomb so yeah this is is also just another bit of storytelling.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny specifically says they did not expect this amount of support. Even mentions they all thought they would need day jobs while they did Nextlander on the side.

I don't think that's an accurate interpretation of the interview. There was some humility to be sure, but it's clear the patreon was intended as full-time self-employment from the very beginning. It's not like they all got other jobs that they're now quitting because Nextlander was such a runaway success. They knew there would be support.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

This was a good, informative interview. At this point, anyone continuing to publicly speculate about drama behind the scenes is simply doing so in bad faith.

sicamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a good, informative interview. At this point, anyone continuing to publicly speculate about drama behind the scenes is simply doing so in bad faith.

People naturally avoid saying things that make themselves look bad. Speculation tries to fill in those gaps and not everything has to be labelled as done in bad faith.

For example, I think it's highly improbable that the three didn't plan on launching a Patreon together just in time to cover E3 before they left GB. They claim otherwise, and that's fine. It's not a big deal either way.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The time and energy spent on analyzing and speculating on these peoples' lives is god-damn creepy.

Ramsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mclubberlang: I guess Alex does have a different energy & style to the rest of the guys, and no its not always what I'm looking for either. But his writing is tremendous, light-years beyond anything anyone else on the site appears to be capable of. There are good, capable writers here but Alex's work casts a long, dark shadow over all of them.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

It sounds like Jeff Gerstmann made a really toxic work environment by not admitting Yoshi's Island is a great game.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The time and energy spent on analyzing and speculating on these peoples' lives is god-damn creepy.

Parasocial relationships make for gossipy weirdos

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this has made me realise how much I appreciate Jeff Gerstman.

beggary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody's talking about Nextlanders but nobody's talking about Skylanders. :( *looks to boxes in closet filled with Skylanders, Lego Dimensions, and Disney Infinity and sobs*

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

It sounds like Jeff Gerstmann made a really toxic work environment by not admitting Yoshi's Island is a great game.

Its really the reason Patrick left...

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

"Aha but that's what they WANT you to think," is what they WANT you to think. That's my mild speculation.

MimiMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yyninja: took me too long to realise you re not talking about Great Britain and the Netherlands

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By davidfox1983

With all the "they want more creative freedom than can be attained in a large corporation" and "they want to have total creative control" soundbites I keep hearing, I still can't help but notice that, now they have those opportunities, they're still just doing the exact same thing they were doing on GB. Maybe it'll pan out more in the future but things just feel a little lame to me at the moment. And I think it's pretty much because it's just the same thing on a different URL.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_ said:

I bet Brad, Vinny and Alex didn't even leave Giant Bomb! I think Nextlander's a work! Red Venture made it up to get people to pay for two subscriptions! "Nextlander" doesn't even sound like a real name! Follow the money!

This. Ya'll should spend less time ASLEEP and more time AWAKE!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

With all the "they want more creative freedom than can be attained in a large corporation" and "they want to have total creative control" soundbites I keep hearing, I still can't help but notice that, now they have those opportunities, they're still just doing the exact same thing they were doing on GB. Maybe it'll pan out more in the future but things just feel a little lame to me at the moment. And I think it's pretty much because it's just the same thing on a different URL.

They directly addressed this and talked about it in this MinnMax episode. They're aware the current content is similar to GB and they said essentially that they're starting with what they know and have the goal of branching out and diversifying as they find their footing and their own content style. They drew a comparison to how early GB was basically GameSpot, complete with text reviews and a news section, and eventually it morphed into its own thing that was completely different.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well whatever they end up doing, hopefully it's not all locked behind a $10/month paywall.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: The idea of this sounds great, except that Giantbomb is what came out of their new ideas already. It'd be nice if they can reinvent the thing they all had a hand in inventing, but we'll see. I hope it works out.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@brian_ said:

I bet Brad, Vinny and Alex didn't even leave Giant Bomb! I think Nextlander's a work! Red Venture made it up to get people to pay for two subscriptions! "Nextlander" doesn't even sound like a real name! Follow the money!

This. Ya'll should spend less time ASLEEP and more time AWAKE!

Vinny has come to
Vinny has come to

"They played us like a damn fiddle!"

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By bybeach

I watched most of the interview with the Trio and MinMax yesterday, and quite frankly I do not see much to chew on.. I personally think there may have been some friction, but it's really chicken and/or egg. And overriding all this is after so long, there's the need to breath fresh air and do something new. I so totally get that.

I will, here and there, be throwing in with Nextlander. But I have also reserved my seat here.

Best to all.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Easy Allies, Minnmax, Kinda Funny and now Nextlander. Even Dan's channel might as well be The Funky Shop or whatever premium nonsense he was trying to come up with. Same thing, slightly different.

Not that it's a problem but it does seem to me that, once you're in that line of work, few (at least those that worked at the larger outlets) really make efforts to get out of it.

rusalkagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By rusalkagirl

@besetment: they've already done plenty of free streams on twitch! :D

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsden said:

@mclubberlang: I guess Alex does have a different energy & style to the rest of the guys, and no its not always what I'm looking for either. But his writing is tremendous, light-years beyond anything anyone else on the site appears to be capable of.

Very true. The biggest bummer about GB evolving into essentially a video-only site is how little of Alex's writing we got. Maybe Nextlander will give him some options and motivation to do it more.

OK, I need to go read his 2020 GOTY post again.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With a handful of E3/Steam Next Festival streams, Nextlander have done more to find games outside the "Big publishers + token 'It's on gamepass' mention" bubble than Giantbomb had done in the preceding 2/3 years.

(GB itself has improved in this regard under the current setup too)

walletdipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During the leaving podcast when Brad was talking about 'the end' and eulagising, Jeff piped up and said we'll still be here next week - that to me said everything I need to know.