Microsoft and Sony where are the next gen consoles?

• 87 results
FSUC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FSUC

Does anybody else feel frustrated that the big console makers seem determined to keep their systems on life support with motion sensor gimmicks?
It's time we saw the next generation of consoles!

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

A couple more years.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Wait 2 or three years.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ElBarto

I don't want a new gen yet.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BionicRadd

I dont need a new generation of consoles.  Neither do you.  Current consoles run games just fine.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@BionicRadd said:

I dont need a new generation of consoles. Neither do you. Current consoles run games just fine.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous

@BionicRadd said:

I dont need a new generation of consoles. Neither do you. Current consoles run games just fine.

Being primarily a PC gamer, I feel like I've gone back in time whenever I turn on my 360 (and, to be frank, I have, because that hardware is old as shit). The next console gen can't come soon enough for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's not really "life support" the 360 and PS3 were selling great before their "gimmicks" and the Move in particular isn't doing so hot. 
The fact of the matter is just that the 360 and PS3's lifecycle isn't over yet (and Nintendo is banking on it lasting for a few more years judging by the rumoured power of the Wii U)  whereas Wii sales have been nosediving for the past year or two.  

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
@BionicRadd said:
I dont need a new generation of consoles.  Neither do you.  Current consoles run games just fine.
x100 

Have you seen the games coming out soon, OP? They still look pretty great, and at the price I bought my consoles for at the beginning of this generation, I'm super happy to be getting all the mileage out of them I can. I think we should be happy developers are trying to push them as far as they can be pushed rather than only have a few years to make games for them before new consoles are introduced.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117

My guess is probably two years.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't making them because people aren't demanding them. Which is unfortunate and makes me hate alot of people, but you can hardly blame them. This industry has turned much more into a business than it was before this generation and it's make the companies afraid to take risks. Gaming has also expanded to alot more people, which makes some people who just got a 360 in the last couple years just say "New consoles? But whyyyyyyy?"

Whether or not people are satisfied with the current state of consoles, games have sort of hit a wall and they hit that wall a long time ago. PCs have always looked better, but the gap is incredibly wide at this point, and it's just shameful that the console market isn't even trying to catch up.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rattle618

What movie is the Pacino clip from? Im sure I`ve seen it, but I cant remember exactly which one it is and this is going to bother me all week...

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ragdrazi

Speaking to IndustryGamers in an interview published yesterday, Epic Games President Mike Capps said that Apple's iPhone should be enough to make console makers second-guess their desire to launch follow-up devices. 

"If you look at the ridiculous acceleration of iPhone hardware and technology, trying to find a sweet spot for tech to make your mobile game... I mean, what would your mobile game look like in 2015?" Capps pondered in the interview with IndustryGamers. "Who knows how fast that's going to operate, but you can bet it's going to be faster than an Xbox 360." 

Capps, whose company is best known for the Gears of War franchise, said that the industry will need to "deal with iPhone 8." That device, he says, "will probably plug into your TV, or better yet, wirelessly connect to your television set to give you that big screen gaming experience with good sound. 

"So really, what's the point of those next- gen consoles?" he continued.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20088628-17/epic-games-exec-on-next-gen-consoles-whats-the-point/

So no one gets touchy or anything, I'm not saying I agree with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give it time. A new console wouldn't be radically different from what we currently have.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gargantuan

As a PC and console player I hope that the next generation of consoles won't come until at least 2014. I don't want to buy a new PC, Playstation and Xbox anytime soon.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By warxsnake

As both a gamer and a developer I can't wait for new consoles to finally adopt DX11 so that:

• We can play great looking games that don't have obvious shortcomings because of hardware.
  • We can develop multiplatform games without having to compromise and go through hell just to fit it in the least performing console and have all the other versions suffer unnecessarily for it (wink wink ps3)
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

@Rattle618: Glengarry Glen Ross.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Branthog

Games on consoles are looking dated as hell. They are starting to look "pretty good" the way we have to qualify Wii games as "pretty good... for the Wii". Faces are bad and bodies are worse as are their animations (walking, etc). Not to mention, "shiny graphics" is not the primary benefit of new hardware. Maybe let's finally have multiplayer games that are bigger than 12v12 and with bigger maps and arenas? Maybe more than 9gb DVD media on the 360? Maybe capable of displaying more animations and activities on screen at one time? Maybe better AI than the miserable crap we have now?

The only way you couldn't be a big hungry for "more" is if you haven't played a PC game since 2005 - when this commodity console hardware first game out.

As soon as you can cram enough power into a box to make a difference in the experience, it needs to be done. And let's not hamper it by keeping it to $300. That's laughable for something you'll use for 5+ years and buy dozens or hundreds of $30-$60 games for. Chage $600 or $900 for it, if that'll allow better quality and greater power. It's okay if you want to charge as much for an entire machine as we're used to paying just for a video card.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm not sure when but give it a few years, we seem to be hitting walls pretty hard with the 360. Look how many games are starting to need multiple discs and some of the chugging framerates.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts

While I am looking forward to the next consoles my wallet can wait.

JaediMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JaediMaster

I still havent gotten a 360 yet.....it can wait

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By benjaebe

Kind of surprised by the responses thus far. I mean, I own all three consoles and a PC, and although I can see what people are saying about newer PC games having better graphics/animations and the like, I also can't honestly say that I've been disappointed with any recent releases of console titles, both in digital and retail form. Games still look and play great. Then again, I still play PlayStation 2 games so maybe I'm not the target audience here.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rattle618
@EuanDewar: You are a good person.
Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Holding off another 2-3 years seems pretty reasonable honestly.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

@ElBarto said:

I don't want a new gen yet.

Same.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't want another console to come out. i would hope that 2014 is the year for a new one to come out. i would wait a couple of years the the price to go down.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By time allen

dunno why you need them just yet. i'm glad current gen has lasted this long. getting my money's worth son!

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Technology has not actually marched on yet. Haven't you fucking realised this?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By leebmx
@Ragdrazi said:
Speaking to IndustryGamers in an interview published yesterday, Epic Games President Mike Capps said that Apple's iPhone should be enough to make console makers second-guess their desire to launch follow-up devices. 

"If you look at the ridiculous acceleration of iPhone hardware and technology, trying to find a sweet spot for tech to make your mobile game... I mean, what would your mobile game look like in 2015?" Capps pondered in the interview with IndustryGamers. "Who knows how fast that's going to operate, but you can bet it's going to be faster than an Xbox 360." 

Capps, whose company is best known for the Gears of War franchise, said that the industry will need to "deal with iPhone 8." That device, he says, "will probably plug into your TV, or better yet, wirelessly connect to your television set to give you that big screen gaming experience with good sound. 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20088628-17/epic-games-exec-on-next-gen-consoles-whats-the-point/ So no one gets touchy or anything, I'm not saying I agree with this.
That's interesting stuff. If they can transmit good quality pictures to a TV set and you can play with a controller that might open some really interesting questions about whether we need these big boxes in our living rooms. Although I guess a phone will always lag behind, sheer power wise, a dedicated full size machine. For the more casual Angry Birds or Bejeweled player this might be all they need.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dany

I don't need a new console yet nor do I think we need one yet. Their are bunch of quality games to still come out and games I havn't played yet this year.

If anything, a announcement 2012 for a reveal and release 2013 seems fine.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By scarace360

Dont worry people will want it after they see battlefield 3 on pc and then when they look at the console they will want a new one. I hope. Maybe.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dillonwerner

Get a PC

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ragdrazi
@leebmx said:
@Ragdrazi said:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20088628-17/epic-games-exec-on-next-gen-consoles-whats-the-point/ So no one gets touchy or anything, I'm not saying I agree with this.
That's interesting stuff. If they can transmit good quality pictures to a TV set and you can play with a controller that might open some really interesting questions about whether we need these big boxes in our living rooms. Although I guess a phone will always lag behind, sheer power wise, a dedicated full size machine. For the more casual Angry Birds or Bejeweled player this might be all they need.
I think the idea is that eventually the iPhone is going to be on par with the level of graphics core gamers would expect, and so eventually all developers are going to have to start developers for the iPhone. My question right now is, if that happens will they do that. Would developers treat the iPhone more like the Vita or more like the Wii?
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slaker117

The funniest part about all this is that Nintendo is coming out with their next gen console, and it's just the current gen consoles with an extra screen. I really don't understand what they are doing with that thing.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Slaker117: My one theory is that they're desperately trying to shift gears and approach the core market again, and that that this is more or less the best they could do right now.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Slaker117
@Ragdrazi: Yeah, I get that, but I would think the core market would demand a step-up in hardware if they are going to invest in Nintendo's console after the Wii.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By willin

Wii U motherfuckers.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Slaker117: Well, I think Nintendo is holding to the idea that it can carry over some of it's causals onto the Wii U. The controller is a portable. And it looks kind of like an iPad. My guess is their... logic?... on this is to say they're splitting the difference between the two markets. That matches up with what they've said already. Thing is, I don't see it working out very well either.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I say keep this generation the way it is so that developers can create videogames comfortably without having to learn a bunch of new tech all over again. 

When you look at the gap in quality between the PS2 and PS3 - it was quite significant. However the PS2 was a lot easier to program for and therefore benefited from more titles - a lot of these being excellent.

PC games and versions are overated...and I own a damn good gaming rig. I still prefer playing my Xbox 360. Why? Because everyone I know has had time to eventually get one over the past 6 years.

In these tough economic times, I doubt anybody will want to upgrade to a high end console. The 3DS is the prime example of this. I work in entertainment retail each and every day and when I see people play the 3DS at demo stands - they don't say things like 'haha this sucks' - they say things like 'this is way too expensive' or 'it's good but it's not all that different to the original DS'.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By leebmx
@Ragdrazi@Ragdrazi said:
@leebmx said:
@Ragdrazi said:

I think the idea is that eventually the iPhone is going to be on par with the level of graphics core gamers would expect, and so eventually all developers are going to have to start developers for the iPhone. My question right now is, if that happens will they do that. Would developers treat the iPhone more like the Vita or more like the Wii?
Is guess they would treat them like both if it was viable. The only problem would be if the market was spilt between lots of different platforms which I suppose would make it harder to develop big budget games which required a large return. I also think that if there are next-gen consoles at this time, this might relegate phone games to a postilon simillar to now only with better quality i.e. being able to play 360 or PS3 games through your phone while the newest shit is running on PS4 or 720(or whatever its called) 
 I think the interesting situation is if consumers don't think the new gen consoles provide a dramatic enough shift (as he alludes to in the article). Will people be prepared to shell out big money for a new console which is good but not amazing if they can still play games of current gen quality (which are very high quality in themselves) on a portable device which has lots of other functions? It's interesting. 
 I think we still will have new consoles, but the danger comes if the casual market isn't interested in making the jump because their phones already cater for their needs. Sony and Microsoft will need to make sure they keep hold of these revenues, and if they don't it might blunt the cutting edge the core games want from their machines....but what do I know?...fun to speculate though....
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SSValis
@Axxol said:
Instead of making a new thread, you could have posted this in one of the other threads about this.
Instead of posting in this thread, you could have just not. 

We're into the 5th-6th year of this generation, so you'd think they would have announced something already. The economy is terrible, and that plays a huge part in it. But like people have said here, give it two or so years. Nintendo has their thing next year and people are starting to get bored with the same old shit. 
Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Soffish

I really don't think a new console generation is really all that necessary at this point, the demand just isn't there. To be honest it just doesn't seem like the vast majority of gamers really care all that much about how good a game looks(at least not in the technical sense). Hell look at what's popular in the pc gaming world: Minecraft, tf2, wow, lol, and even counter-strike. Maybe in 2014 new consoles would make sense, but it seems for now people are happy with what they have.

Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lucidlife

Frankly, I am in no way interested in shelling out another $400 bucks on a damn game console. They can keep pumping out games for the current consoles for the next 5 years as far as I'm concerned.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Brendan

@BlastoTheSpectre said:

I really don't think a new console generation is really all that necessary at this point, the demand just isn't there. To be honest it just doesn't seem like the vast majority of gamers really care all that much about how good a game looks(at least not in the technical sense). Hell look at what's popular in the pc gaming world: Minecraft, tf2, wow, lol, and even counter-strike. Maybe in 2014 new consoles would make sense, but it seems for now people are happy with what they have.

Also, there are still games coming out that are impressing the hell out of people, although not necessarily graphics wise. Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Arkham City will all look far better on a PC, but that hasn't stopped a lot of people from being excited about how good these games will be for their console hardware. I don't feel like I've lost interest in games coming out due to a lack of new hardware. In fact, I would say that this winter is going to be harder on my gaming budget than last year!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kingzetta

I'm fucking happy as can be.
I'd be immensely happy if they didn't make a new console for 6 more years.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WickedFather

We don't need better consoles we need better games.  Current gen is fucking shite.  I've said this load but I never had a ps2, got one last year and the games on it piss over anything on the 360.  They're fun, joyful, playful and peppy.  I'm not being some retro-loving freak because the ps2 isn't retro for me, it's an exciting new thing.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SSValis
@Axxol said:
@SSValis said:
@Axxol said:
Instead of making a new thread, you could have posted this in one of the other threads about this.
Sick burn, broseph!
Why do you even post if you have nothing to offer, other than " oh!! this thread been done before."?Judging by your post count you're probably on these forums more than most people. Not everyone knows the trends of these forums. Nobody but you has even mentioned it. It just seems really pointless.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By tourgen

@Slaker117 said:

My guess is probably two years.

yeah, that sounds about right to me too. We might hear more about them next year - some very flimsy details and maybe a dev box or something.

It needs to happen though. I've kind of moved back to PC gaming the last year or so. I like the 3 second load screens & hi-res textures.

PC is pretty much the next gen console that should have come out in 2010. Still backward compatible with all of my 2005 PC games too. Actually the new consoles are going to have to be pretty god damned amazing for me to switch back from the PC.