• 141 results
esben8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By esben8

To the point of negativity. The inclusion of Jess is why i decided to cancel my subscrition to gb after 7 years. From previous experience i knew her too be a generally negative person, but i had an open mind when she got hired. Unfortunatley she had not changed much, and had the same negative attitude i've come to loathe. There was always negativity on the team, but it was offset by members of the team with a bit more positivty and energy. And the whole product was better for it, but right now the balance is off and the shows they produce is so draining that i can't see myself paying for something that just put me in a bad mood. But hey, things change, and at some point you need to do some soul searching and decide when its time to move on.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I've personally fallen off GB content myself for reasons that are my own. But, I don't see the benefit of saying insulting things to the team and claiming it's constructive. What's constructive about 'be less negative'? It's like suggesting 'have different opinions' is constructive. What they do either works for you or it doesn't. If it doesn't, simply stop engaging with their content. Insulting them as you leave isn't helpful. It's rude.

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Try Mega 64 Podcast.

Kevinhfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I realized early on back in the Gamespot days, that one of the things I particularly valued about Jeff (and others) opinions' was that they were uncompromising when it came to their actual honest feelings. And that if I was going to enjoy that candor and insight, I should recognize it's not always going to skew in the ways that match my own feelings exactly. That sometimes it might be directed at something that I particularly enjoy, and that's okay. Historically speaking, Jeff was outspoken about disliking a number of classic games (Majoras Mask and Super Mario Galaxy come to mind as games that were reviewed really well all throughout the industry, but he publicly voiced his dislike for) at the time. So I don't really feel like this is some kind of recent shift. That being said, people grow and change throughout life and expecting them to not, is kind of an unrealistic expectation.

I'm not saying folks should feel wrong for not wanting to consume content because it makes you feel shitty or negative, that's totally okay too!

Also, anyone paying attention knows this, there is a LOT that sucks about Video Games right now.

czircon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm baffled by the suggestion that Jess is overly negative. I don't get that vibe at all.

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Count me in for "wait, people think Jess is negative?"

Is this the weird constant criticism of Abby thing all over again?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is just to negative :)

ObamasAmerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czircon said:

I'm baffled by the suggestion that Jess is overly negative. I don't get that vibe at all.

For me Jess is a breath of fresh air. So is Jan. She always seems very full of happiness even when she's dunking on a game or genre she doesn't like.

I genuinely think Gerstmann is one of the funniest people I have ever listened to. His timing is perfect and we share similar sense of humor. I think he completely fails at games coverage though. He hates everything that isn't Mr. Do's Castle. Not only does he dislike almost every game, but it is because he usually focusses in on one aspect of it that annoys him and he blows it completely out of proportion and then just spits bile at it. He completely lacks an open mind. And I don't really need weekly deep dives into the latest retro game playing machine minutae so he can better own something that will let him play Mr. Do's Castle better. Even his twtich streams reflect this because he'll usually just load up and emulator play a new gave every two minutes because he isn't interested in anything. He should probably find a new career talking about something he actually enjoys.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I am genuinely fuckin baffled that this whole thread is littered with people taking Jess down when she wasn't even mentioned in the initial post. It feels like this thread is attracting anyone who is just angry about Jess' hire.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#61 sweep  Moderator

Man With Same Personality For 30 Years Causes Outrage By Being Himself, News At 11

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By BisonHero

Some posts in this thread are a little toxic, but overall props to the mods for this grand experiment wherein this thread wasn’t locked after 3 posts.

I think any group podcast benefits from having a balance of different attitudes, and maybe at times the Bombcast has been a little too weighted in one direction or the other, but I’m certainly not going to begrudge Jeff G or Bakalar for continuing to be their cranky selves.

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the Thread does not contain any curses/Threats i do not see why a Moderator should even care to Close or get involved. People really can not take criticism anymore (me too and have to work on it).

Not that this Thread is going to invoke any change in Giantbomb. They decided to try something different and i personally see the ship sinking.

Occasional Threads like these are just people venting their frustration.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By bigsocrates

@sweep: I wonder how much of this is generational. Jeff is a Gen Xer and like a lot of Gen Xers he is not super enthusiastic even about things he really likes. You will almost never hear him really gush. He just calmly sits back and dissects things and says "X is really great but Y could be improved" in a rather flat tone. That doesn't mean he's not super into whatever it is he's talking about, it's just a more detached and analytical way of discussing things. Of course not all Gen Xers are like that (generations aren't destiny or anything) but that kind of ironic detachment was very much a thing for that cohort.

Younger cohorts seem to be more sincere and enthusiastic. They grew up with social media so they in some cases over-emote because social media promotes that. So they gush about stuff, even stuff that's flawed.

Someone who is used to the newer modes of expression might perceive that Jeff doesn't like things even when he does because he's not gushing. Meanwhile to someone like me (An Xennial) a lot of the stuff put out by younger people can come off as put on or fake. I express myself a lot closer to the way Jeff does. I'm much more likely to say "oh that's funny" than to guffaw.

After I read this thread I watched the Quick Look for Forza Horizon 5, the full hour version. If you listen to Jeff's words he seems to really like the game, even though there are things that could be improved or that he's getting tired of from previous iterations. Still he's constantly talking about things he likes in it or aspects he feels are well done. It's very positive if you just focus on the words.

In terms of affect, he comes off as analytical even about his own preferences. He doesn't seem enthusiastic or sucked in, he's just telling you his thoughts and what's good and what's bad. In some ways it reflects his background as a writer, where the words were all that mattered and you didn't have to worry about tone of voice etc...

I wonder if some of why people perceive Jeff as super negative is that his Gen X affect doesn't come across to Zoomers the way that it does to other people his same age.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66 chaser324  Moderator

Some posts in this thread are a little toxic, but overall props to the mods for this grand experiment wherein this thread wasn’t locked after 3 posts.

Contrary to what some people may think, there's no problem with giving feedback as long as people keep things respectful and constructive. It's generally only when people cross the line or threads spiral into circular arguments or bickering that there's a problem.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By AV_Gamer

I'll also add to the props for the mods not closing this thread, which I personally thought was going to happen after the first couple of post agreeing with the OP. Again, I don't think both Jeff's are being negative. I think they are being honest about how they feel, and these days, you can get in trouble for being honest, even more so than ever. But I will also agree with some of the other posters who said it was more tolerable because you had a nice balance of personalities before and now the balance is gone, which makes both Jeff's overly critical opinions of games and other topics stand out more. Ultimately, people have to decide if GB is still worth sticking with or not, because both Jeff's are not going to change who they are, especially not Jeff G.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like some people are not understanding what the word negative means. Disagreeing with an opinion, not enjoying or liking something or expressing concern are not always "negative". There's a portion of people that have a really difficult time processing this and conflate anything that isn't hype or smiles as bad and mean. There is a middle ground, and it's where the interesting and deep conversations are.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the majority of y’all here are conflating negative and opinionated and only have a problem with it when the opinions are rubbing up against what you like instead.

If you don’t want to hear people talk shit about what you like then that’s fine but it’s not a problem with THEM.

Ohverture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being genuine, uncompromisingly themselves, and cynicism in particular are relatable to a 40+ gamer, can confirm. The podcast isn't out of balance imho.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By tartyron

The current staff are all fine both to me and as human beings in their own right. Not enjoying a podcast has a very simple solution. A very very simple one.

StaticFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep:

Most people grow and change as a person after 30 years.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just to negative is a pretty apt name for this fairly negative thread but jokes aside I don’t understand the Jess complaints. She clearly understands video games on many levels and is also able to articulate her opinions very well. She is a terrific hire and I personally find her to be much better addition to the GB team than Ben and Abby ever were. I very much look forward to hearing Jess’s thoughts in the upcoming GoTY talks.

With that said I still chose to let my sub lapse partly because I’ve been watching less and less content from here over time even before most of the OG crew left, that trend only accelerated after their departures. Also the current direction of new content apart from Grubb Snax is absolutely not to my liking.

I’ll keep listening to the Bombcast though. Thanks GB for siloing Ben away to the Dumptruck.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@staticfrog: But that implies that Jeff's current personality is something that he should improve upon in time. That him being cynical, straightforward, honest and set in his ways is something that he should grow out of. While you could also make the argument that those character traits are not necessarily undeveloped or childish at all. Some might even make the argument that being energetically hyped and positive about a wide range of subjects is quite an undeveloped and childish personality that could change for the better. It all comes down to how various people perceive certain traits.

I also don't think that it's necessarily true that most people change their personality over time. Certainly there's the possibility of traits changing over time, but it's not a given. Sometimes people get depressed or extremely nervous over the course of their lifetime, and when those issues get solved, their personality tends to change back towards the personality they had before the personality-changing event took place. You don't have to transition towards a new personality to grow.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean.. I have changed my beliefs over time. That's a thing that I would imagine the vast majority of people do.

I have not, however, fundamentally changed my personality in the last 30 years. That seems like it would be quite rare unless there were extenuating circumstances.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#76  Edited By AV_Gamer

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." - Muhammad Ali

Jeff G still has time!

Let's cheer him on.

Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There's a difference between not liking something and saying something "Turok was always shit and you were wrong for every liking it".

Jeff has always been pretty negative, but the problem now is he's the host and no one ever challenges him so his negativity just drags everything down. The combination of zoom podcasting and new hires results in a podcast where there's no real chemistry between any of the staff. Listening to the podcast now and ten years ago when the hosts who had known each other for years and were all at the same table is night and day.

The Bombcast now has all the energy of a Zoom happy hour with a bunch of people that look and act like they'd rather be anywhere else.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#78  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Podcast does get a little into the grumpy gamer mode- but I think Jan goes a long way to offset that. I also listening to Fire Escape cast and Nextlander to balance things out

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full disclosure: this post is not about proving a point, but rather about showing support for the staff.

Jeff G's never been shy about his opinions, it's one of the things that have drawn so many of us to GB. Sure he dislikes some things, but man does he ever really like things, too! Just look at his Teardown segment on UPF last week. I don't think it's a fair criticism to saddle anyone with "you are negative" without any context. I also think it's worth mentioning that currently the staff is made up of people that like different things than him. That's not a bad thing at all, quite the contrary, but it means Jeff is more likely to say something to the effect of "I don't like this."

I think the same applies to Jeff B. Those who listened to him on the Beastcast probably know that already. He was always a bit more dour about some things than Vinny and definitely has a tendency to be playfully caustic, but I've never found it offensive.

I don't know how Jess got dragged into this, but I want to voice my support for her. I think she's doing a great job and is a good addition to the team.

I've learned over the year that when changes occur or new people join the crew to give myself some time. I've had difficulty squaring new personalities in with the established group before and it always has turned out well. Usually when I've had a critical thought about a newcomer, I've ended up feeling like I was really wrong and that I needed to get used to them and not the other way around.

Except with Dan. Fuck that guy. (KIDDING!)

ObamasAmerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

Man With Same Personality For 30 Years Causes Outrage By Being Himself, News At 11

Sycophancy aside, the point is that doesn't have the same personality.

chaosnovaxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I think it's fine. Too many other "positivity ONLY!" echo chambers out there.

Vandersveldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of both Jeff's, when and why did they switch roles? Why is Bakalar running Gerstmann's site? Will Gerstmann take the reins back at some point, or is this permanent?

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vandersveldt: I think it helps to balance Jeff G's homelife at the moment, Jeff B has less to worry about right now (just my opinion)

Bruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly agree with the post. Mostly. I think the issue is Jeff's "a bit crass/negative sounding" vibe was always balanced out by the optimistic and high spirited Vinny (pre-Beast Cast) and Brad who got better over time, both of whom mostly seemed to really just enjoy video games in general. The, let's call them, supporting cast were right in the middle.

When Brad left and they rotated Jess in, they appear as another Jeff-type personality who I personally feel comes off slightly negative and sometimes I feel like they are forcing it to be contrarian. Maybe this is what people liked about Voidburger (never heard of VB before) and that content, but thus far I find myself kind of not wanting to listen as often. I think at this juncture, if Bakalar left, I would probably move away from GB as a whole. Not that he's like uber positive, but I find him funny week to week.

To agree with @yyninja, it isn't the content that's changed, it's the general tone of the show that is hurting the show for me. I think having opinions is great and should keep that way as I value the cast's opinions, but the aura is just "this sucks". Those that enjoy it, that's great! It may just not be for me anymore. And that's ok. I'll keep listening and hope they see constructive criticism and address, if they feel it requires change. If not, nbd! It's their show :)

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I dont get it. She says as much negative and positive stuff as the rest. She and abby were quick to admit they dont know about a certain subject. People can come off real harsh to new people, and i dont think its a women thing cause the new men get hit too. I remember the one person who went to waypoint or something. He was really great at articulating his points and overall i think he was positive but even he got hit so i guess its just time needed to warm up.

I think we all gotta understand how stressful it is, jeff has a kid, in this weird time with the big C. He's transistioning to a new staff and setting up ideas, lost some of the OG's etc. We need to give him time, he never failed us before.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Ben_H

@czircon said:

100%. It's so weird. She's got almost Ryckert-level enthusiasm for a lot of things and seems super pumped to be part of GB. Maybe people are interpreting her not holding back when talking about certain issues like shitty exploitative game companies as her being negative? I dunno. It makes no sense to me. She's been a great addition to the Bombcast and brought in a bunch of energy to the show.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I really have to stop reading these kinds of threads. The opinions of people who can't stand anything other than effusive praise of an often-shitty industry or validation of their own tastes are not worth anyone's time to read. There's some real 'get politics out of my games' energy going on here, and that's just gross.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see there are plenty of people still on the side of Jeff, Jess, and the rest due to their earnestness. Jess rules and I'll be here as long as Jeff is running the show.

I really hope we get another Jess-centric show soon, her perspective and personality has been the best thing to happen to this place in a long time!

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bigsocrates: You make a really good point about broad generational differences, and I agree. But I think that it actually doesn't apply in this particular case. The people expressing their belief that Jeff is negative aren't new to the site. They almost certainly aren't zoomers. It's anecdotal, but I think the GB fan base (and by extension, the community that engages with the site in comments) skews older. I'd bet money that more than 50% of the current viewership is over the age of 30, and I'd bet that a large portion of them are closer to 40 than 30.

So I agree with your idea about generational differences, but they don't all apply here. Remember that Jeff was an early adopter of the internet and communicating with people on the internet. That's not to say that modern social media is the same as the BBS type stuff that Jeff started on, but I think it's worth pointing out that he was more connected than the average young gen-Xer.

To be honest, "Jeff is negative," is a GB meme at this point. It's blatantly untrue, and I always feel like it's said by people who simply don't remember all of the games he likes each year.

(I didn't mean to address you specifically with all of these points, but your thing about generational differences really spoke to me, so it was a jumping off point. I think about this sort of thing a lot.)

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Saying you're tired of all the negativity and then going into the forums to post more negativity but about specific people where they can see it makes no sense to me. Are you trying to publicly shame them, or looking for an echo chamber in the middle of the fan club? Is this the modern UGH I'M CANCELLING MY DESCRIPTION AND HERE'S A RANT WHY

I disagree with any and all of the duders at times. Jeff G didn't give Godfall a good try, Jan tried to say pit bulls are mean, people are gonna say and do stuff you don't agree with. I wish everyone had the same introspection and thought that Austin Walker did, but wanting them to fake being intellectual or care about issues they have no interest in is the opposite of what I want. I'm here because I think they're good people who care about this industry deeply, and I don't need them to agree with me on everything to feel that way.

There are a million people on youtube and/or twitch who need support because they're trying to do what they love if you're looking for someone to agree with you.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that you even know what these people think means it is working. People first. Games second.

Vandersveldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mekon: Gotcha that makes sense then. Hope he takes the reigns back eventually. No offense to Bakalar of course. I just feel I vibed more with where Gerstmann tended to take things then where things have been lately.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Criticism is fine. I don't want cheerleaders. I just wish It was more often stated as IMHO, x, or I think x or I believe x, as opposed to x sucks shit like a 14 year old in homeroom, like implying if you think X is great, you are wrong and terrible.

Also, the capitalism is bad mmmmmk and NFTs are bad mmmmmk is getting really friggin old (IMHO :) ). Especially when your business model relies on ads and the subscriptions.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I think we can all agree, the more Danny, the better. Dude loves things, like a pro.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

I'll keep beating this drum because they have 1/10th the budget of GB and Nextlander and deserve so much more: MinnMax feels like the true heir to the old school GB throne. It's got everything I used to love about GB: great crew chemistry, great vibes, funny random streams, nostalgia focused streams, and constantly trying new things. Also when they do press conference videos it's so much fun and they laugh about dumb stuff, instead of get angry and sad over a dang game trailer. It's just a shame they don't have the audience other places do.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lonelyspacepanda: I can definitely concur. Had not followed them much but kind of drifted into some of their content via the Dan and Ben H. crossover. Recently listened to their GOTY or "two tens" pods and I really dig their vibe.

beggary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By beggary

@kerned: Nextlander is incredibly more negative. Brad’s negativity is a huge bummer because he’s usually just listening to other people to make up his opinion.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB is over bros. We can argue about what the turning point was but it feels like death throes now. I think it’s done by end of 2022.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

Do you have some examples and ways they could improve?