User Lists: 0

American Video Game Expert

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The Adidas shirt is very on brand for Germany.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I am more fascinated by the existence of english language news broadcasts in Germany.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that was pretty great. disappointed we didn't get Green Man Gerstmann, but he remains a threat nonetheless.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By liquiddragon

This was great. The only thing that kinda stuck out as a bit odd is him theorizing whether players would need to ship physical copies back to CDP.

Imagine if Jeff went on as Dr. Trucksuit defending CDP and just shitting on players.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also must say I love Jeff just not bothering to switch rooms or anything. These days any time they bring someone on TV they have a bookcase behind them or a very ornate looking background, probably the most tidied up part of their house. Here is Jeff with a closet, clothes, a bed.. and I mean no offense to Jeff by this because I think it is very much him, but it looks like a college dorm room haha.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

That was awesome. Good on Jeff. Well done.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Jeff had to tape a note next to the monitor saying "Don't say the f-word on camera"

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frytup

@ll_exile_ll said:

I am more fascinated by the existence of english language news broadcasts in Germany.

Kinda sorta. Deutsche Welle is specifically intended for international consumption. I doubt many Germans actually watch it.

FNGbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@liquiddragon: Why is it odd? CDPR is apparently offering refunds for physical copies.

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1340013516628103170

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wonder how an English-language German news broadcast decides which American video game expert to contact?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By colourful_hippie

Thanks for the upload, Sir Mix-a-Lot Rare Music!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@rejizzle said:

I wonder how an English-language German news broadcast decides which American video game expert to contact?

"Have any of them been on the news before?"

"Uh... this Gerstmann guy has!" (source)

"Great, call him up!"

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By The_Nubster

So what was your impression of the game?

Oh my stars and garters, they filled it full of cocks!

I was also pretty surprised to hear the interviewer follow up Jeff's point about the shallowness of the content. usually mainstream news treats games as games, and either they work or they don't, without any thought about what a fully-functioning game even entails.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

This being on the news is blowing my fucking mind, dude. Well done.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Notice how the German guy pronounces Jeff's last name correctly!

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 PeezMachine  Online

I am utterly shocked that this broadcast team seemed to care enough for the anchor to actually know what to ask and not sound completely out of their depth vis a vis game issues. A refreshing change of pace from the "it's not just Pac-Man anymore!" stuff I'm used to.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By ThePickle

Not since when Jeff wore shorts/FUBU on GMA and Diane Sawyer touched his leg has the Gerstmann been such a presence on news television

Also, American news hosts tend to be, uh, dopes, so it was interesting to see someone well informed about the video-game scandal.

Roadshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle said:

I would guess that the former CBS connection has some pull in making Jeff a logical source to go to. Wouldn't be shocked if they have a Rolodex of "experts" in various fields that can be go-tos when stories in that field come up.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BoccKob

The news talking man seems to have a basic understanding of what he's saying without being derisive or dismissive of the subject and the other people being filmed aren't yelling or on the verge of tears.

What is this? I don't understand.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

A lot of countries, for example Germany, France, Russia, Japan, Qatar, China etc., have state funded English speaking news channels. The purpose of these is partly to inform people living these countries who don't speak the local language and partly to spread their the views of their country to the world. The international news media has traditionally been very dominated by news channels from the UK and the USA and these countries want to counteract some of that.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mister_V

@berfunkle: He's not German, He's English

British 90's kids Will know him as Phil Gayle, the newsreader from The Big Breakfast!

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still a (worldwide) threat!

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Jeff had to tape a note next to the monitor saying "Don't say the f-word on camera"

He knows when to put on the "mainstream media voice". He still does a weekly spot for CBS radio, after all

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how well this will play but the BBC have an archive of relating to most of their console launch pieces.

"Man points gun at wife."

Mainstream coverage of games will always be weird.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Demonsoul

Great interview! I agree with Jeff on nearly every point that he made. I feel that Jeff is being slightly too harsh with this statement:

"....unless they are going to bring the voice cast back in to record new lines. Unless they can get more of Keanu Reeves time to correct some of the issues there....."

From my perspective, I do not see any issues with the voice work and/or dialog scripts. Keanu Reeves did a great job and the script he is reading is fine and does not need to be revised.

All of Jeff's other points are spot on.

Aside from the bugs/glitches that will hopefully all get ironed out, the only major complaint that I can leverage against it is the stealth aspect. CDPR desperately needs to add in more stealth kill animations for players who want to play this game with pure stealth during a full (20-40-ish hours) playthrough. I have broken hundreds of necks and I'm sick and tired of seeing the same neck-break animation over and over again. It would be nice to actually use the melee weapons that I have equipped during stealth-kill animations. It just doesn't make sense to only break the neck every time when I'm equipped with a knife, katana, etc...etc.... It would be nice if they expanded stealth-kill animations beyond melee weapons as well, similar to the way Splintercell Blacklist did it (Mozambique Finisher).

Note: I played through it on PC (Patch 1.04) and did not experience any major performance issues. I can't comment on the console versions.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great interview. Newscaster seemed more well-informed than I'd expect from any mainstream outlet. I'm sure g*mers are going to tear it apart because he called CD Projekt a publisher at one point.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demonsoul: There's definitely a sense that people are being harsher on the game side because of the technical issues, i won't say the story and performances are amazing but they're fine from what i've played so far, it's a solid 7/10.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Notice how the German guy pronounces Jeff's last name correctly!

The presenter is English. I recognise him from English TV.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Also must say I love Jeff just not bothering to switch rooms or anything. These days any time they bring someone on TV they have a bookcase behind them or a very ornate looking background, probably the most tidied up part of their house. Here is Jeff with a closet, clothes, a bed.. and I mean no offense to Jeff by this because I think it is very much him, but it looks like a college dorm room haha.

To enter in the spirit of Cyberpunk, jeff should have had a massive dildo on a shelf behind him.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberbloke: I think they actually patched those out after official release because apart from the like red district areas I haven't seen any dildos laying around at all. Then again I did just get a call from an earlier contact that led to us boning in a motel and I got a rare vibrating dildo-bat melee weapon for it.

mackdack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An international threat.

digitaldisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: not all "news readers" are as disingenuous and ignorant as most of them in America. International news organizations still hold themselves as mostly news first and entertainment second.

I really appreciated that Jeff didn't bother to create a different backdrop and just went with the messy spare room look. On brand indeed.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@digitaldisco: A dude sitting in front of a normal ass room talking about games comes across way more genuine and believable than a guy sitting in a RGB-coloured stream-room to me.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frytup
@demonsoul said:

From my perspective, I do not see any issues with the voice work and/or dialog scripts. Keanu Reeves did a great job and the script he is reading is fine and does not need to be revised.

I don't think he was suggesting Keanu's VO was bad. He's saying that if CDPR were to re-write portions of the game to make the storyline come together better, Keanu (and other actors) would have to record a bunch of new stuff.

priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's so damn good at this.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo get this guy on the Giant Bomb staff. I like him.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

It's always fun to see "Business Jeff" in action. There's a reason he gets the call.

EgonVonHolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a German it is somehow really comforting to see that someone at the Deutsche Welle production office found the most qualified video games expert available to comment on this CDPR debacle. I hope that guy/gal gets a raise.

Skullbuggery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v said:

@berfunkle: He's not German, He's English

British 90's kids Will know him as Phil Gayle, the newsreader from The Big Breakfast!

Thank you, I was wondering.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

I'm surprised by and jealous of how good Jeff is at just answering most of the questions in a single sentence and stopping. TV pro

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

And just to the right, in the suggested videos section, is a video which thumbnail's is that picture of teenager Jeff with the 3 girls beside him. Classic.

digitaldisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By digitaldisco

@onemanarmyy: I agree, and I think it's why Jeff and the duders have had such a loyal following. I have been here since the Arrow Pointing Down days. The slick, hyper produced GameSpot era never really appealed to me.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I am utterly shocked that this broadcast team seemed to care enough for the anchor to actually know what to ask and not sound completely out of their depth vis a vis game issues. A refreshing change of pace from the "it's not just Pac-Man anymore!" stuff I'm used to.

"Pac-Man has come a long way...from Pac-Man." ® Tim Rogers, 2020

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised they got Jeff in this. He's still one of the most popular editors it seems

swthompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to our local Petaluma correspondent, Jeff Gerstmann. Have the riots over video games quieted down in Petaluma yet, Jeff?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6
deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing Jeff in this format makes me wish GB had one formal news show that is like a tight 20-30 minutes where Jeff covers a topic like this. The podcasts are great (obviously), but there is something to be said for keeping things brief.

Also, can we get Jeff a greenscreen so he can have flying toasters in the background?