Is Giantbomb making less content now?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

You have to remember that a few weeks ago, they were releasing content for game of the year. That's the time of the year where they released the most content. We're in a really slow part of the year where few big games are released.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Definitely been extremely lacking since GOTY, which was also lackluster. Plus Dan's energy gone. Hopefully things get back on track.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud
@acura_max said:

You have to remember that a few weeks ago, they were releasing content for game of the year. That's the time of the year where they released the most content. We're in a really slow part of the year where few big games are released.

not so much this year though. They specifically spent less time doing it, so that should have been avoided. Besides the podcasts there was hardly any group stuff.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They're settling in the new office/preparing for E3/preparing for GOTY/waiting to recruit new staff.

Pick one as you seem necessary

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The past few weeks have been a bit light on content, but this week seems to be picking back up.

Two Quick Looks, 6 live streams (including UPF), and the podcasts. Seems like a reasonable week to me.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't really noticed, i play Modern Warfare while watching/listening to GB content and i've been playing it pretty much every day so... there's more than enough for me.
If you don't partake in all the features then maybe there's a lack of "new game content" because there aren't any new games, because it's January.

I do wonder sometimes how much content people want, for me it's 30-60 minutes a day even though i'm premium so i'm usually getting too much, however i watch every GB video because i like the banter, i can see how someone who picks and chooses based on interest wouldn't be getting enough but GB's never been a one source variety content making machine for that person, it's more of a Gamespot thing to have multiple articles, interviews, impressions, previews and reviews, if i need any of those things i go to youtube.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's January.

Loading Video...

Shit is kinda slow during January.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And while they recorded that there was nothing happening on the site either.

@sombre said:

They're settling in the new office/preparing for E3/preparing for GOTY/waiting to recruit new staff.

Pick one as you seem necessary

Someone should just make a site that displays one of these at random.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm still really happy with the team's output since January 1. It was probably fair to expect a bigger drop-off with Dan moving to Connecticut, but the pipeline has seemed—and, again, maybe I'm way off-base here—consistent regardless.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It ebbs and flows. I think 'getting what you want' mostly comes down to what they make any given month. They make a ton of stuff that 'tickles my pickle' in some months, and other months they do a bit less. This month I am digging the amount of Nancy Drew stuff they made, I like puzzle adventures games. I got a Demo Derby which I love, so that was cool for me. I always wanted to know what Kentucky Route Zero was , so this month I got to see. Some of the PlayStes were good too.

My guess is come let Feb or by mid-March we will have a good amount of PS5 and Xbox Series X news, and that will probably generate some special videos and podcasts. Despite many games getting delayed there are still a good amount of games that seem in the wheelhouse of Jeff, Jason, Brad, and Jan; so I think there will be some content THEY'D like to talk about this Spring.

It is all ebbs and flows. It's all part of the circle of life, Simba!

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i haven't noticed a drop, but u already don't have time to watch it all and usually pick and choose the stuff i'm liking the most.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@inevpatoria said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm still really happy with the team's output since January 1. It was probably fair to expect a bigger drop-off with Dan moving to Connecticut, but the pipeline has seemed—and, again, maybe I'm way off-base here—consistent regardless.

Yeah, I'm with you. This probably says more about my schedule than their output, but I've not been able to keep up with the content feed this month.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By ADAMWD

Not a lot of games coming out right now, we are in that pre-E3 new console launch lull.

Just give me Mass Alex 3 dammit

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'll be honest, I don't really get how you can look at the output from this week and say there's not enough content. Given the dearth of big new releases, I would actually expect them to be putting out less content than they are.

Three QLs, three live streams, and the Bombcast + Aftermath. That's about 10 hours of content, and it's only Wednesday. Is this really not enough?

Now, if you don't personally like their current output, that's a different discussion, but I can't really understand arguing a lack in quantity.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By htr10

@chaser324:

Honestly, man, don’t even bother trying. We get one of these threads periodically and we’ve even had users mathematically prove in the past that complaints were unwarranted and that the amount of content was equal to or even more than in prior years and some people just keep complaining.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny that as soon as Dan leaves the GB East content drops off a cliff. I know they are rebuilding their studio and I'm just being a shitter but the timing is still funny to me.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No they are not.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19 chaser324  Moderator

@htr10: Yeah. It's cyclical and these threads are inevitable no matter what they do.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't people complaining not that long ago that there was too much content, and they couldn't possibly watch it all?...

rockyboyussr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When someone threatens to cancel premium, drink.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not including podcasts, there's been 12 different videos over the past 6 days. That's an average of 2 videos per day over a 6 day stretch that includes the weekend. I've done comparisons to the past in threads like this before but I'll skip that and just say this seems like a perfectly reasonable amount. I'd argue it's even more than expected for January.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23 sweep  Moderator

Threads with this exact title seem extremely seasonal.

If you subscribed to the site expecting a rigid schedule and consistent stream of content then sorry to disappoint, but that's never been the way Giant Bomb has done business and that's unlikely to change.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sombre: isn’t that one guy leaving?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going by sheer number of videos there are fewer videos this month than over the last few (though not many fewer) but it's January, they just lost Dan, it's totally understandable and there's still a lot of content coming out.

I think that if the content they are producing isn't your favorite kind then it can FEEL like fewer videos because there's less you want to watch, but that's a different issue.

I would suggest trying a feature that you haven't watched previously or thought you might not like. For example I checked out the Clue Crew streams (generally adventure game content isn't my favorite) and they're a lot of fun and have a very different vibe from most Giant Bomb content because they're not the kinds of games that the site usually covers. I can't imagine that anybody is actually out of content to watch on a site with over ten years of archives so just find something that's new to you and check it out!

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethMode

I genuinely do not know how people have not only the free time to indulge in the content GB provides, but also then enough free time to feel like that amount of content wasn't enough? I have been living in a GB backlog basically since I signed on. I still haven't even finished both team's Deadly Premonition ERs! My biggest complaint with my membership is that I feel like I am never fully caught up.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sombre: Ha! Yeah, I’ve fallen off. I check content maybe once a week, I’ve unsubscribed from podcasts...the only thing that catches my eye anymore is the Business Dave Top 10. I’m going to let premium lapse.

It just seems like the magic and energy that embodied this site for over a decade is gone.

I hope they continue to do well and the new fans dig the current content, but I’m amicably withdrawing. It bums me out, but I’ve been enjoying what the GB crew has put out since Arrow Pointing Down. You can’t get 10 years out of much these days, so that’s a damned feat in itself.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Like @bigsocrates: mentioned, I’d guess a lot of it isn’t quantity, it’s perceived quality.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: That's fine, a person's mileage has always varied, but it is a different discussion entirely.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Well, you’re wondering how people have the time to watch it all. That’s an assumption, and a logical one. But it could also be that they feel like there’s less because they’re interested in a lower percentage of total content and watching less overall as a result.

If Netflix was 90% kids programming, I might wonder where all the content is. It’s there, it’s just content I’m completely overlooking due to lack of interest.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still working my way through a lot of the GOTY podcasts and then play catch-up with the weekly shows.

I don't have time to absorb all the content as it releases, so I'm fine with the rate it's going.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@sweep said:

Threads with this exact title seem extremely seasonal.

If you subscribed to the site expecting a rigid schedule and consistent stream of content then sorry to disappoint, but that's never been the way Giant Bomb has done business and that's unlikely to change.

Maybe, there is Giant Bomb Seasonal Affective Disorder (Bomb-SAD). Bomb-SAD begins and ends at about the same times every year. If you're like most people with Bomb-SAD, your symptoms start in the fall and continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody.

I prescribe spending 20 minutes a day under a Bomb-SAD 'sunlight emitting' lamp.

No Caption Provided
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Sure, but I was wondering that from the standpoint of the Ops thread that questions if they are putting out less content. They absolutely are not. Whether or not they're putting out less content that an individual person is interested in is again, a question of what the individual wants. My overall point was that if you are still enjoying Giant Bomb, there is more than enough content to consume (sometimes I feel like there is too much). If the content isn't for you anymore, then no amount of updates are going to be enough, so the question becomes moot unless this is a topic about quality of content, which it doesn't seem to be?

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think the site is putting out a good amount of content. It sounds like some people feel a bit disenfranchised with the site and/or the topics they want to cover, so the content that is coming out doesn't grab their attention. But to me, the content is coming out at a good clip.

There was a time in my life that I would be up to date with all the stuff as it hit the site, but that was before the split between the coasts. After that happened and after my own life grew busier as I got older, I've had an unending backlog of content to sift through.

savutano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naw, two things do seem to stay consistent though, the content flowing freely & random people complaining of lack of content. If it's not enough, there are others sites? Sometimes weekends are slow for me if I watch everything live/during the week, surprise weekend stuff is always fun. Either-way, I feel like they do a damn good job of staying consistent.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it impossible to keep up

Avatar image for drgirlfriendexp
drgirlfriendexp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simple answer: No.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keirgo said:

Weren't people complaining not that long ago that there was too much content, and they couldn't possibly watch it all?...

Yes. People will complain no matter what. Vinny pointed this out in the comments for one of the recent Beastcasts when someone complained about them deliberately not talking about the same game multiple weeks in a row in the opening section. He said they did that based on complaints that they were talking about the same games frequently, but now they also get complaints that they shouldn't avoid discussing a game just because they talked about it previously. There's no winning.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

Are we on the same website? Giant Bomb seems to follow a pretty strict schedule nowadays:

Ranking of Fighters and Pokemonday Combat on Monday;
Bombcast and Aftermath on Tuesday;
Playdates on Wednesday;
Ocasional West stream on Thursday;
Beastcast, Playdate and UPF on Friday;
Best of Giant Bomb one Sunday every month.

Quick Looks and Unfinisheds seem to be the only things that don't really follow a rigid schedule nowadays.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to just start planning my life by the appearance of this question in the forum.

"Where's the content" post? Whoops, gotta do my taxes.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite part of this thread is that it happened in a week full of content, with multiple previously unannounced QLs going up and a Beastcast Playdate that was THREE HOURS long.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it isn't so much lack of content, it's lack of quality content.

I haven't bothered much with GB in a while, I check back about once a week now.. The site just feels dead. What content I did see didn't interest me, and what little I did watch was just kind of boring. What spark the site used to have is kind of gone. I don't even bother listening to the podcasts anymore and I cancelled my premium subscription last summer (which I've had since it started). I've been on GB since 2009, lurked on the site before that and followed them on Gamespot for years before that... I'm just not into it anymore. I still game and keep up with things, but honestly I've switched over to Youtube channels for most gaming stuff these days.

It's just not the same anymore, and judging by other comments here and general lack of interaction on the site, I'd say it's not just me. It's a sucks because this place used to hopping back in the day with tons of new content every day and tons of activity in the comments section and the forums, now almost nothing. What a shame.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: Yeah, that’s the bummer. Two hours of good content a week would be plenty for me. I barely have time for that, anyhow.

I used to tucker out to 15 minutes of Giant Bomb at night. Now I’m just watching random shit on Netflix for a few minutes to shut my brain off.

I’m really hoping they get their groove back, or pull me back in, however you want to look at it. I have a ton of fond memories of this place. If it doesn’t happen, I’m happy for that first decade and wish the crew success. It’d be fucking petty not to given how much I’ve laughed over the years.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What these threads always make me think is; how do people have the time to consume all the hours of content they put out in a given week? Even when I was living alone and had very little in ways of other obligations I could hardly keep up. But I can see an argument for it if what is going up isn't interesting to whoever. For me personally they put out more than I can consume, not saying I am into all of it but I also don't think I need to be. In fact, not being into all of it makes it alot more manageble.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really never understand complaints like these.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7 hours 47 minutes of videos still to watch this week :(.