If you could experience one game for the first time again...

• 162 results
JohnnyBgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would choose Bioshock, the first one.

It's one one my favorite game, and I remember how creppy and difficult it could be the first time you play.

However, the story is very deep, and tells us about philosophy, social evolution and f**king good powers! :)

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Planescape: Torment, Dark Souls, 999, Portal, FF IX.

Most for experiencing the story again, Dark Souls because I exhausted its gameplay.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM DA DEE DEE DOOM. My first game and what a game to start with. me and my mate used to spend hours running along nocking on walls like dafties looking for all the hidden secrets. never has blowing up barrels been so good.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By johncallahan

Persona 4 or Resident Evil 4. Persona 4 I fell in love with so much that I never wanted to play it again, because I felt terrible that something might be done differently and it was PERFECT for me when I played it.

RE4 is the exact opposite. That is hands down the game that I have played through to completion the most times of any game. My playcount on the Gamecube alone was 74. And I've bought that game and played through on literally every single platform it has come out on. At this point I know it inside and out, going back and doing that all again for the first time, being actually surprised by it. That would be priceless.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@nime said:

World of Warcraft, easily. The sense of wonderment when I first started the game and actually feeling like a part of this fully realized world was unmatched. Now I know it too well and it's just another game - I miss the original sense of awe.

Absolutely. I played for the first time as a dwarf. Even the starting area seemed magical. Then going through the caves to get to Kharanos and encountering other players, getting lost on the way, it all just felt so grand, so huge. Getting into Ironforge for the first time, getting on the tram to Stormwind and winding up in a new city. God it was such a great time and feeling.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Grimrock 1 or 2, probably. Those games are very special to me.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the top of my head I would say WoW, ME1 and Alpha Centauri

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Gone Home

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Fallout 3 was like a wonderful fever dream for me when it came out. I lost dozens (perhaps hundreds) of hours of sleep playing it. Even though I subsequently found New Vegas to be the superior game, Fallout 3 for the first time will always be remembered as something special.

Also Baldur's Gate. I played nothing else for 6 months after picking that up.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny Fannywhackers Bill Top Billy Balls Challenge

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EverQuest.

Without a doubt EverQuest.

Yes, absolutely EverQuest.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My strongest inclination is a nostalgic favorite, but as others have said, they wouldn't have the same impact out of time. My second inclination was a particularly effective horror game, but there's a cumulative tolerance to horror, and so I'd have to wipe multiple games to get the desired effect.

So. That leaves me with the obvious choice: Dilbert's Desktop Games. Finally, the foibles of office life in interactive form! Oh, what I'd give to capture those guffaws once more. Dilbert *gets* me, man.

... Or maybe BioShock.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo II

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Counter Strike or CoD 4

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess one of the more story-focused games with little to no replay value (like Portal). I'd love to get that feeling that you always get when you experience a great story for the first time.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Lost_Remnant

Any Suda 51 games really, except Killer is Dead. Not a bad game but in the grand scheme of grasshoppers and Suda's output is not the greatest thing to come from them. Resident Evil 4 is also an easy choice, I've probably beaten that game thirty times in total across four different console platforms and still love it, experiencing for the first time again would be neat.

Any of the mainline Fallout games, first time experiences with those games were always a highlight for me. I wish I COULD forget Brotherhood of Steel though. That game was.....not great. I also imagine another year down the line or so Nier would also be a top candidate for me. I beat that game about a week and a half go and has become an absolute favorite. I got really attached to the characters in that game.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#67 rmanthorp  Moderator

Portal or Bioshock - both simply because the second, third, fourth, hundredth playthrough will never come close to reaching the impact of the first time through - I will hold the memories dear forever!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of my favourite memories of games are for games that I doubt would have aged well (partially because they were so genre defining as to have what was amazing about them retread by others since). So for me, it has to be a recent game with an amazing story, or truly timeless games that cannot age. I think for the former, I'd say Bioshock Infinite (to experience that ending again, and then all the forums/videos of people talking about it) whereas for the latter I'd probably say Shadow of the Colossus.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off the top of my head: Dragon Quest VIII. I guess it comes out on 3DS in Japan later this month. If it gets a translation, I might even splurge on a 3DS.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Demons Souls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably dark souls. When I first got it I had never heard of it, it was a christmas gift from my sister based on the recommendation of one of her coworkers. At first I wasn't even sure I liked it.. "Oh okay just drop a boss on my head within the first 15 minutes that's cool." But the feeling of poking and prodding at that game until you find the path of least resisitance was like nothing else.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Final Fantasy VIII

christamofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By christamofo

This is more of a jump back in time question, because some of these would feel dated now.

Virtua Fighter (first time I ever saw a 3D fighting game in the arcade blew my mind!)

First go on Time Crisis in arcade with proper gun (that recoiled and hit me in the face the first time I pulled the trigger)

Another World (Stunning animation, the beast chasing me at the start was scary!)

Frontier Elite 2 (I can fly and land on any of the millions of planets, shoot space stations and mine on asteroids!)

The Last of Us (Just..... wow)

Spec Ops: The Line (Had never heard of it, got it as a gift, decided to plonk it on as I had nothing else to do and ended up completing it in one session, then a friend came round and we completed it again!! just an amazing story!)

Tekken 2 (Watching King do a 6 throw combo)

Guitar Hero (The first time you play that plastic guitar is so much fun)

My first go on my G25 wheel with Gran Turismo and Dirt

Oculus Rift (nearly shitting my self) also combining this with a wheel feels incredible.

Resident Evil (Damn dogs jumping through the window!!)

Metal Gear Solid.

Doom

and many many many others

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Metal Gear Solid 2. Its the game that made me a gamer I suppose. Before that it was just Maddden, GTA and Socom.

mere_immortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deus Ex.

I can still play it now and find new things, so being able to experience it all again would be amazing. The first time I ever found out you could save Paul was mindblowing.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Witcher 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-636514d3175a5
deactivated-636514d3175a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Morrowind.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AlexW00d

Metro 2033. I've been thinking that for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the remaster of Day of the Tentacle coming out it'd be good to experience all the puzzles again without knowledge of them. Also Starcontrol 2.

ItsMeCorey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ItsMeCorey

Mario 64! Such a huge leap! I remember I played the Japanese version at some little mom and pop game shop. I will never ever be more excited for anything in my life as I was Mario 64. That was a magical experience for me. It came along at the right age in my life where I still loved videogames as if I was traveling to another world when I played them.

I worked hard with my brother to save up for the Nintendo 64 import. I I got the Japanese N64 and Japanese Mario 64. It was so exciting waiting for it to come in the mail. I think this was also when imports were more exciting too. It all seemed so magical. I played that game like I have never played any game.

Sakaki_Shizuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have to be Minecraft and Binding of Isaac for me. The first world I made in MC was a winter wonderland and I LOVED IT.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Really? Coincidentally I just started it this week, and I'm not yet super impressed. What is it that made this such a great experience for you?

I'm going to be boring and say the first Dark Souls as well. I've had so much fun exploring and being afraid.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Either Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

World of Warcraft, the sense of wonder and exploration playing that back at launch is unparalleled in gaming for me. What an incredible world to just lose yourself in.

Alternatively forgetting all the Souls games and going through Demon's/Dark Souls for the first time again.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect, sense of wonder in that universe and the reveal of the reapers was amazing first time around.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsw: the atmosphere and the world, both very important things to me. Same reason the Stalker games and Cryostasis are so good for me.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baldurs Gate 2. That game gripped me majorly, in a way I can barely remember how it feels... And I want to feel again!

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

NieR and the Zero Escape series

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Bioshock. The Last of Us. To the Moon. Gone Home. Spec Ops: The Line. Red Dead Redemption. Portal 2. Antichamber.

Some of my favorite games ever are those that I wish I could wipe my memory of so I could enjoy them for the first time over and over again because they don't feel the same on a second playthrough, and that makes them more special to me. Maybe somebody will write a movie about that concept someday, and the takeaway will be about how that isn't a good idea in general, but hey... That'd be cool too.

ItsAMeMariko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost Odyssey. I recently tried to replay it and all of the plot twists lost their sting because I already kind of remembered what was going to happen. The Hanna's Departure dream still makes me cry every time, though.

WoolieDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By WoolieDood

I'd say Final Fantasy 7 or 9. Because they were the first two jrpg games I ever played and I just loved the music and the visuals of both those games. And the story ofcourse, but the final moment on FF9 was a little strange to say the least.

mattgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

first impulse response: the first skylanders game on 3DS. or MGS: Peace Walker

considered response: Bioshock and ME2.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By odinsmana

MGS 4 probably, being able to relive Act 5 for the first time again would be incredible.

Edit: Actually it`s Planescape Torment. That game is incredible.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totes Spec Ops: The Line. I really wish more games like it existed.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim. Mods still keep the game somewhat fresh and interesting, but I know so much about the game at this point that I keep going along the same critical paths for building my characters

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deus Ex. Being released from prison and finding that you were in UNATCO's prison was fucking nuts.

Gopherdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, so, so many. Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Spec Ops: The Line, Portal, Ocarina of Time, Red Dead Redemption stand out on top. Of those, Bishock Infinite.

pickledscoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ocarina of Time! Figuring in time and place that is my favorite game of all time. If I could relive that experience, that would be the best!

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By melodiousj

Before I was even done reading the question, Super Metroid came to mind, but I dunno. There are parts that I would love to have surprise me again, but there's also some points where I know I'd get stuck if left to figure it out all over again, and part of the fun of that game nowadays is that I do know where to go and what to do, and I can just run through it for the hell of it.

So, maybe if I'm okay to look at a guide for a couple sticking points, then Super Metroid. Or Yoshi's Island, that's the second game that came to mind.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I could honestly name a billion games, but just for the sake of choosing something different, I'm gonna have to go with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. I still thoroughly enjoy many different games on a regular basis, but not many make me react in a such a way that I wish I was being filmed to see how dumb I looked.

A lot of the levels, music, and characters made me smile and yell with excitement....but only one, one gddoman level made me absolutely lose my shit and that was Burning Depths. You already had me at Burning Rangers, but not only did these mofos remix the shit out of one the best themes in all of video games, they fucking had Chris guide you thru the track and that moment right there sent me into a explosion of excitement comparable only to that of a certain Gametrailers video.